• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Finally got my iPhone 7 today. First IOS device I use since my old iPhone 5c. Loving it so far even if it feels like I'm breaking the phone every time I click the home button lol.

Anyway, I had an issue on my old phone that I am sad to see is still present. I'm using the Mail app for my work Exchange emails. It's working fine in general but I use sub folders with filters on my desktop Outlook to automatically move the mails in the proper folders. The thing is that the special Unread folder AND the number on the badge icon only shows the number of unread emails in the main inbox and ignores the sub folders. Is there any way to force the app too look at all the folders instead of just the inbox?
In Mail settings, go to Fetch New Data, select your Exchange mail and tick which folders you want Push to apply to. By default it's just the main Inbox folder as you say but you can tick as many as you want and they'll show unread badge icons etc.

Megasoum

Banned
In Mail settings, go to Fetch New Data, select your Exchange mail and tick which folders you want Push to apply to. By default it's just the main Inbox folder as you say but you can tick as many as you want and they'll show unread badge icons etc.

That's not it unfortunately. I did check the folders I wanted fetched in those settings so I do get the emails in those folders but it still has not effect on the unread folder or the badge number. No matter how many emails I see when I look at the list of folders the badge number will still only reflect the Main Inbox number.

Ambitious

n41qbKP.jpg

thanks, phil

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Can anyone tell me how to delete all the emails in the archive folder? I can select mails individually form there and move them to the trash, but I can't move them all to the trash. I think I have too many emails taking space.

Minamu

So apparently there's still a bug with the alarm clocks in IOS. I was an hour late for work today because of this stupid shit. The new fade-in alarm went off alright, but without ANY sound even though the setting was set to maximum, both ring tone and volume. I double checked my third party alarm and THAT APP gave me a pop-up warning saying this is a known issue and that I should re-install my alarm apps. WTF is this bullshit? :( My boss is probably not that happy with me today because of this :(

Edit: I took a screenshot as proof for my boss but I have no idea what good that did.

Oynox

How often do you guys use the AirPlay and AirDrop buttons in the control center? I am still baffled about this design choice since I never ever used them and don't even know why I should.

How often do you guys use the AirPlay and AirDrop buttons in the control center? I am still baffled about this design choice since I never ever used them and don't even know why I should.

AirPlay I use. AirDrop, never. Mostly because when I tried to use it when it first came out, it didn't really work, and didn't let me exchange any files I would ever actually want to exchange.

bjork

Just had a thing come up for an update to 10.1.1, I believe. So I let it run, now the phone is dead. If you connect it to a PC, it recognizes it, but itunes says it's in recovery mode. Trying the "hold these buttons for 15 seconds" method of resetting does nothing. Any ideas, or am I stuck doing a restore?

Fliesen

AirPlay I use. AirDrop, never. Mostly because when I tried to use it when it first came out, it didn't really work, and didn't let me exchange any files I would ever actually want to exchange.

AirDrop is amazing. After every family happening, we just stand in a circle - airdropping one another the pictures we took.
Works great for those non-tech savvy, because sending 30 pics via whatsapp or iMessage blows, Dropbox is confusing for many. AirDrop just sends the photos straight to the camera roll.

and it works device->device (without the need for WiFI / Internet access)

So apparently there's still a bug with the alarm clocks in IOS. I was an hour late for work today because of this stupid shit. The new fade-in alarm went off alright, but without ANY sound even though the setting was set to maximum, both ring tone and volume. I double checked my third party alarm and THAT APP gave me a pop-up warning saying this is a known issue and that I should re-install my alarm apps. WTF is this bullshit? :( My boss is probably not that happy with me today because of this :(

Edit: I took a screenshot as proof for my boss but I have no idea what good that did.

Is this only with third party alarm apps or is it with the stock app too?

Vyer

AirPlay pretty frequently, Airdrop not as much but the few times i have it was pretty solid.

Oynox

I have to admit that I am actually quite sad about iOS 10. I always loved Apple's OS even after the redesign and all. But since iOS 10 I am seriously considering switching to something else, though I constantly come to the conclusion that I would not be happy with another OS either after so many years of Apple. Sometimes I would rather use my Siemens S55 again lol

/edit

I mean it is not even that iOS 10 is fundamentally broken, but there are so many small things which annoy me.

Just had a thing come up for an update to 10.1.1, I believe. So I let it run, now the phone is dead. If you connect it to a PC, it recognizes it, but itunes says it's in recovery mode. Trying the "hold these buttons for 15 seconds" method of resetting does nothing. Any ideas, or am I stuck doing a restore?

Does recovery mode let you update instead of restore? That'll try and keep all your stuff on there

Enco

Man.. where's all the Siri support?

Only a few garbage apps have it. Nothing good so far. So disappointing.

Come on Google Maps + Wunderlist.

Man.. where's all the Siri support?

Only a few garbage apps have it. Nothing good so far. So disappointing.

Come on Google Maps + Wunderlist.

Siri only supports six third party functions at this time: sending money, sending a message, starting a workout, calling ridesharing, photo searching, and VoIP calling

bjork

Does recovery mode let you update instead of restore? That'll try and keep all your stuff on there

It would hang up during recovery mode. So I went to the Apple store fully prepared to just buy a new phone. They said it was under warranty and the guy couldn't sort out what the issue was, so he gave me a new phone for free. Good times.

It would hang up during recovery mode. So I went to the Apple store fully prepared to just buy a new phone. They said it was under warranty and the guy couldn't sort out what the issue was, so he gave me a new phone for free. Good times.

Gotta love it

Vyer

I have to admit that I am actually quite sad about iOS 10. I always loved Apple's OS even after the redesign and all. But since iOS 10 I am seriously considering switching to something else, though I constantly come to the conclusion that I would not be happy with another OS either after so many years of Apple. Sometimes I would rather use my Siemens S55 again lol

/edit

I mean it is not even that iOS 10 is fundamentally broken, but there are so many small things which annoy me.

Nothing wrong with trying something else. I've tried some Android tablets over the years and it's fine, but I came to the conclusion that there wasn't anything there that made me want to switch my phone. The old Windows phone UI was much more interesting, but it's practically an abandoned platform by this point.

AirDrop is amazing. After every family happening, we just stand in a circle - airdropping one another the pictures we took.
Works great for those non-tech savvy, because sending 30 pics via whatsapp or iMessage blows, Dropbox is confusing for many. AirDrop just sends the photos straight to the camera roll.

and it works device->device (without the need for WiFI / Internet access)

Create a Family Photo Stream, dude. That's just silly.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Neither. I don't have any devices I want to airplay to right now and I never need to send my family anything I can't just text to them.

I'd actually much rather they remove them and put Music back on the one page. I prefer having everything on one page. I have all my icons on one home screen. My Launchpad is all on one page on both my computers. I hate that I need to swipe between music controls and everything else. But it's a minor gripe.

If there's one thing I really want is that they put a timer in the Control Center that displays the time left when one is running. They have an icon to launch it and if I sleep my phone and wake it up it shows time after a few seconds of displaying battery charge amount but I want it to show in Crontrol Center and the Up Next panel of Widgets.

mrkgoo

Neither. I don't have any devices I want to airplay to right now and I never need to send my family anything I can't just text to them.

I'd actually much rather they remove them and put Music back on the one page. I prefer having everything on one page. I have all my icons on one home screen. My Launchpad is all on one page on both my computers. I hate that I need to swipe between music controls and everything else. But it's a minor gripe.

If there's one thing I really want is that they put a timer in the Control Center that displays the time left when one is running. They have an icon to launch it and if I sleep my phone and wake it up it shows time after a few seconds of displaying battery charge amount but I want it to show in Crontrol Center and the Up Next panel of Widgets.

I use airdrop often enough. Sending photos mostly. Texting down converts them.

Also, I run Aperture still, and that takes the unedited file from the phone. If I make an in phone edit, to get that edit I have to export it via airdrop to my computer.

hirokazu

AirDrop in Control Centre is pretty useful. It was pretty buggy initially but seems to be mostly reliable now. I don't have a compatible Mac, otherwise I'd use it even more.

AirPlay is something I'd probably use and would welcome being in Control Centre if I had an Apple TV.

Only if you send them through SMS. iMessage sends images and video in their original uncompressed form. And all my family members have iPhones.

I still gotta get confirmation of this, I keep getting contradictory answers. Does it not compress any photos or videos, or just photos?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I still gotta get confirmation of this, I keep getting contradictory answers. Does it not compress any photos or videos, or just photos?
Pretty sure it was a bullet point when they introduced it.

Rewatching the 2011 iOS 5 Keynote, Scott Forstall refers to "high quality" images. (Basically throwing shade at SMS/MMS which is known for compressing and shrinking images to hell)

Do a test. Have someone send you an image that they take with their phone over iMessage and then have them send you the same one through AirDrop and download them to your Mac (if you have one) and compare them.

Actually, I did a test of my own:

I took a photo with my phone and opened Image Capture to pull it to my computer to get the original photo. This one was named IMG_0909.jpg

I first send it through AirDrop to my computer. It comes in as IMG_0909.jpg.

I then sent the photo to myself and saved the photo to my library after deleting the original and opened Image Capture to pull that file to my computer. This one was named IMG_0910.jpg

Then I compare all three. The one that was sent through iMessage is slightly larger. But I dont think it changed the pixels at all. I think it might have added a few KB of metadata or something. I open them all in Preview in one page and switch between them and I don't see a difference. Not even a slight compression or anything. Not a pixel changes. The resolution is still the same. The EXIF metadata is only slightly different with the one from AirDrop including the name of my phone in the "Where from" section. All three files report as 238K but only the iMessage one has more bytes. (233,775 bytes vs. 236,298 bytes) And they're all original resolution of 960x1280 (FaceTime camera) So I don't know what these extra bytes are, but I don't believe it's doing anything to the image data itself. I don't have the proper tools to compare the two images on a pixel by pixel basis, maybe you do? Either way, it looks to keep the original in tact completely from what I can tell.

Maybe I'll try again with the rear camera instead since that's probably bigger.

Edit: Yeah. Same results. Used the rear camera. All three images are 2448 × 3264, all three are 2MB with the iMessage one being 1,983,926 bytes vs. 1,979,830 bytes of the other two. Why it's 4,096 bytes (4KB) bigger is beyond me. (The other image was 2,523 bytes bigger)

Pretty sure it was a bullet point when they introduced it.

Rewatching the 2011 iOS 5 Keynote, Scott Forstall refers to "high quality" images. (Basically throwing shade at SMS/MMS which is known for compressing and shrinking images to hell)

Do a test. Have someone send you an image that they take with their phone over iMessage and then have them send you the same one through AirDrop and download them to your Mac (if you have one) and compare them.

Actually, I did a test of my own:

I took a photo with my phone and opened Image Capture to pull it to my computer to get the original photo. This one was named IMG_0909.jpg

I first send it through AirDrop to my computer. It comes in as IMG_0909.jpg.

I then sent the photo to myself and saved the photo to my library after deleting the original and opened Image Capture to pull that file to my computer. This one was named IMG_0910.jpg

Then I compare all three. The one that was sent through iMessage is slightly larger. But I dont think it changed the pixels at all. I think it might have added a few KB of metadata or something. I open them all in Preview in one page and switch between them and I don't see a difference. Not even a slight compression or anything. Not a pixel changes. The resolution is still the same. The EXIF metadata is only slightly different with the one from AirDrop including the name of my phone in the "Where from" section. All three files report as 238K but only the iMessage one has more bytes. (233,775 bytes vs. 236,298 bytes) And they're all original resolution of 960x1280 (FaceTime camera) So I don't know what these extra bytes are, but I don't believe it's doing anything to the image data itself. I don't have the proper tools to compare the two images on a pixel by pixel basis, maybe you do? Either way, it looks to keep the original in tact completely from what I can tell.

Maybe I'll try again with the rear camera instead since that's probably bigger.

Edit: Yeah. Same results. Used the rear camera. All three images are 2448 × 3264, all three are 2MB with the iMessage one being 1,983,926 bytes vs. 1,979,830 bytes of the other two. Why it's 4,096 bytes (4KB) bigger is beyond me. (The other image was 2,523 bytes bigger)

I don't have a Mac to do the tests on until my MBP arrives, but I really appreciate you taking the time!

Fliesen

Shared Photo Streams compress the photos and remove EXIF-data.

and they make 'ownership' somewhat weird.
Explaining everyone how to join the stream, whether or not to delete pictures they don't like. How to add stuff, how to leave the stream.

It's literally just a few taps. And it's not like we have 20 people sending one another pictures. It's mostly just my mom, myself and my uncle taking the pictures, with the cousins and everyone else asking for the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom