• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Why the fuck do I now need to update apps multiple times? It'll update and complete then all of a sudden re-download again. I hate how glitchy and slow my 6 has become. Planned obsolescence indeed.

Minamu

Is this only with third party alarm apps or is it with the stock app too?
This happened to me with the new stock Apple clock app. I think it has happened to me before with a third party as well. The warning message was in the third party only. I haven't tried any alarms since but I did a reinstall of the third party app. Gonna try it now!

Edit: Seems to be working now, but can it be trusted? :/

mrkgoo

I got a verification code sent to my trusted device this morning in a foreign language and I think my Apple ID is locked.

I can see if they tried too many passwords but if a code is sent does that mean they got the password?

This has to be impossible. It's a random sequence of letters and numbers never used anywhere else. There has to be some security breach somewhere. I don't visit dodgy sites or anything.

But I guess time to change password.

I got a verification code sent to my trusted device this morning in a foreign language and I think my Apple ID is locked.

I can see if they tried too many passwords but if a code is sent does that mean they got the password?

This has to be impossible. It's a random sequence of letters and numbers never used anywhere else. There has to be some security breach somewhere. I don't visit dodgy sites or anything.

But I guess time to change password.

If a code is sent, yes they got the right password

Number45

Certainly sounds like they do - pretty sure you don't get the verification until the password is confirmed correct. Change the password to be safe, but it might be worthwhile trying to get hold of Apple to find out what could have happened.

mrkgoo

If a code is sent, yes they got the right password

Certainly sounds like they do - pretty sure you don't get the verification until the password is confirmed correct. Change the password to be safe, but it might be worthwhile trying to get hold of Apple to find out what could have happened.

I absolutely do not see how getting my password correct is even possible. But well guess I need to go unlock my account which is just change password right?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I absolutely do not see how getting my password correct is even possible. But well guess I need to go unlock my account which is just change password right?

Man in the middle attack maybe? Ever logged in to your Apple ID on a wifi network you don't own? etc. many possibilities to retrieve complex passwords that may look un-crackable to yourself.

mrkgoo

Man in the middle attack maybe? Ever logged in to your Apple ID on a wifi network you don't own? etc. many possibilities to retrieve complex passwords that may look un-crackable to yourself.
I very rarely log on to wifi networks other than my own. Certainly none in past few years.

I'm pretty security-conscious (and paranoid).

Thing is my account is locked. This can happen from too many password attempts. But if they got it right? Will it lock if you also get the verification code wrong? Obviously it wasn't sent as text but to a trusted device hence I don't know how many times t as sent. Just woke up and there it was on my lock screen in a foreign language.

SnowTeeth

Banned
You normally don't. Close everything out of memory, do a hard reset, see if it helps.

Thanks. I do. Multiple times...

Also the battery life is noticeably worse now after iOS10. 10%-20% worse despite switching to 3G from 4G. Sure this is probably just the already shitty battery finally dying on its ass, but I'm positive that iOS10 is contributing to it.

I very rarely log on to wifi networks other than my own. Certainly none in past few years.

I'm pretty security-conscious (and paranoid).

Thing is my account is locked. This can happen from too many password attempts. But if they got it right? Will it lock if you also get the verification code wrong? Obviously it wasn't sent as text but to a trusted device hence I don't know how many times t as sent. Just woke up and there it was on my lock screen in a foreign language.

If you sign in to appleid.apple.com does it say your account is locked?

mrkgoo

If you sign in to appleid.apple.com does it say your account is locked?

Yeah it did, I unlocked it by resetting password.

Basically, woke up in the morning, there was a code verification on the lock screen in another language (I assumed as it read like a verification code, and had a 4 digit - it was in style of sent to trusted device, bot my message log).
Going to the iCloud account in settings, and trying to enter into the account said it was locked, and required recovery key.

I couldn't do it straight away, but wen to my mac later and through apple ID website, I unlocked my account and reset my password. It's all i can do. No emails about any new device, no devices other than my ones on the account etc. So probably just some password failed attempts...my curiosity in the verification code sent suggest password was breached, but in my opinion that would be so hard to do considering my password and general security behaviour. But I guess not impossible.

I can easily add travel time TO a calendar event, but how can I do it FROM an event?

Like, I enter a doctor appointment at noon. I can add the location and it tells me it takes thirty minutes to get there. So, it marks the time as busy from 11:30AM to 1:00PM. However, it doesn't factor in the time it takes to drive back to my starting location, so really it should be busy from 11:30AM to 1:30PM.

Do I just have to do that manually?

God BT performance on iOS10 is so bad. When running with Strava, I lose connection from my apple watch to iphone when Strava sends a notification to the watch. It then also causes my Jaybird X2's to drop their audio connection as well.

I can easily add travel time TO a calendar event, but how can I do it FROM an event?

Like, I enter a doctor appointment at noon. I can add the location and it tells me it takes thirty minutes to get there. So, it marks the time as busy from 11:30AM to 1:00PM. However, it doesn't factor in the time it takes to drive back to my starting location, so really it should be busy from 11:30AM to 1:30PM.

Do I just have to do that manually?

I guess because it doesn't know where you plan to go after the appointment, it doesn't know how much travel time to add. So for now you'd have to do it manually. This is really something that Proactive should be suggesting based on your typical habits, but Apple is really behind on that front.

j-wood

I am. It's still atrocious. 10.1.1. Using Jaybird X2's as well. Same problem.

Apple broke third party Bluetooth audio with iOS 10 and have yet to fix the issue.

I have the X2s and use them all the time with 0 issues. Using an iPhone 7 on 10.1.1 and an Apple series 1 watch. Sure it's not something with your phone?

Future

God BT performance on iOS10 is so bad. When running with Strava, I lose connection from my apple watch to iphone when Strava sends a notification to the watch. It then also causes my Jaybird X2's to drop their audio connection as well.

I've been noticing this on Bluetooth speakers lately actually. Bluetooth drops randomly once in awhile. Sucks

I have the X2s and use them all the time with 0 issues. Using an iPhone 7 on 10.1.1 and an Apple series 1 watch. Sure it's not something with your phone?

Pretty sure as I also experienced this issue on my 6+ aftwr updating to 10.

Combined with all the other people having BT issues with 10 I'm inclined to rule out a device issue.

Same problem on my sennheiser urbanite xl wireless.

But I have zero problems with my jeep via BT and with my logitech UE MEGABOOM.

95% of the time the X2's are OK. But they continue to intermittently completely disconnect or skip/crack/popping sound.

Sennheisers are far worse.

Had zero problems with both with iOS 9

Bluetooth went bad for me upgrading to iOS 10 on a 6S+. Audio headphones can now take a while to connect, or they will connect but music will not come out of them and there's no way to select them as an output, and so on. This is with multiple Bluetooth audio headphones . Only thing that works every time is car Bluetooth.

I am. It's still atrocious. 10.1.1. Using Jaybird X2's as well. Same problem.

Apple broke third party Bluetooth audio with iOS 10 and have yet to fix the issue.

I haven't tried wireless headphones on my 7 Plus yet, but Bluetooth to my UE Boom speaker has been as solid as it was on iOS 9 on my 6s Plus.

It's possible. But it only started with iOS10 update. Seems awfully supsicious. That and the BT stack was pretty much broken in the first beta of iOS10 through about beta 4.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
my curiosity in the verification code sent suggest password was breached, but in my opinion that would be so hard to do considering my password and general security behaviour. But I guess not impossible.
They might be sending a verification code also after many failed login attempts. I don't know if they do, but it would make sense, I think.

mrkgoo

They might be sending a verification code also after many failed login attempts. I don't know if they do, but it would make sense, I think.

I don't think they do, because it's the point of two-step. the verification is the second step (otherwise there isn't a field to enter the verification into), but I guess it's possible.

ZeroX03

Banned
Okay since the latest iTunes and iOS update now my devices don't show in iTunes? I can't transfer files over. This sucks.

AllenShrz

What peace of shit software, many of my apps are not working correctly on my iphone and ipad and bluetooth is very slow, bluetooth for crying out loud in 2016!

Also, since the update the battery is drain super fast. I didnt had to mid day charge the phone, now I have to!
Right?! It's insane! I could go all day on my iPhone 6S+ without a charge. Now, I'm lucky to make it through the work day.

I have lost so much faith in Apple as a software company over the last few OS updates. Whereas I could rely on their software to be stable and "just work," now they are no different than any other major software developer.

I'm a realist, so this wouldn't be a problem, except now Apple is not meeting the bar they set themselves throughout the years.

Would it be safe to put the blame on Tim Cook's steering of the Apple ship?

samn

Right?! It's insane! I could go all day on my iPhone 6S+ without a charge. Now, I'm lucky to make it through the work day.

I have lost so much faith in Apple as a software company over the last few OS updates. Whereas I could rely on their software to be stable and "just work," now they are no different than any other major software developer.

I'm a realist, so this wouldn't be a problem, except now Apple is not meeting the bar they set themselves throughout the years.

I can't remember any iOS update that someone somewhere didn't say ruined their phone's battery life.

Try a restore, not from a backup, if that fails, go to an Apple store and they can have a look and see if it's hardware related.

Vyer

I haven't noticed any significant permanent change to battery life with the software updates.

It's worth considering that there are a lot of factors that can be involved with a draining battery - from apps by devs not yet optimized for an update to an actual hardware issue - so that it's not necessarily just some universal change to the software. It's not easy to pin down, and it never has been.

I can't remember any iOS update that someone somewhere didn't say ruined their phone's battery life.
:p

Try a restore, not from a backup, if that fails, go to an Apple store and they can have a look and see if it's hardware related.
Ah, see I always do a backup, because I want to retain my Apple Health data.
I haven't noticed any significant permanent change to battery life with the software updates.
I'm definitely not trying to argue here, more just thinking aloud, but why wouldn't software updates be a good measure? It's a change that can be directly compared to the performance before the update, as well as after.

It's worth considering that there are a lot of factors that can be involved with a draining battery - from apps by devs not yet optimized for an update to an actual hardware issue - so that it's not necessarily just some universal change to the software. It's not easy to pin down, and it never has been.
Yeah, I agree. And, just to be clear, my commentary on Apple was not solely tied my battery performance. Apple Apps crashing, the OS crashing, UI changes that boggle the mind (see: Apple Music) are all examples that I feel never existed before the Tim Cook era. Or at least not as commonplace as I've encountered them (anecdotal evidence, of course).

I'm getting the 'We've run into a problem.' issue when trying to connect TV Provider apps with the TV app in the latest public beta.

Has anyone been able to make it work?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Does the YouTube app no longer open when a youtube link is opened in Safari and do the Youtube Videos no longer play in Tweetbot

Does the YouTube app no longer open when a youtube link is opened in Safari and do the Youtube Videos no longer play in Tweetbot

YouTube links from Safari remember what you last did with them. So find a youtube link, long press, and say "open in YouTube" and then the next time links will open in the app. You can do the reverse as well, "open in background" and then from then on it'll open in the mobile site

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do you need to calibrate the battery in an iPhone now and then? I'm sitting on the train going home just listening to pocketcasts and browsing gaf, when I got the 20% low power warning. Ignored it as I have a 6s+ so that should be fine. I literally watched it drop super fast and it's now on 2% about ten mins later

Edit : and then afterwards it made it 30 minutes with scree off still listening to podcasts. Silly phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom