• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakefoo

Siri seems to have issues with "to."

Me: "Text Mike, go to your room."
Siri: "Your room."
Me: "Text Mike, hey go to your room."
Siri: "Hey go to your room."

Croc

Banned
I've been having a bug lately where my phone screen will randomly flip sideways and get stuck like that even though I always keep rotation lock on. It's infuriating

Anyone had their Apple device 'forget' that they pay for additional iCloud storage?

My wife had a pop-up notification on her phone this morning saying iCloud can't backup because it has run of out space. At least I thought she may have filmed a 30gb video of the dog running around, but upon looking in the settings, it had reverted back to the defaul 5gb plan. Weird!

I really wish you could set an app as the default app when pressing play from control center or a Bluetooth device. I only really play podcasts on my phone from pocket casts (no music), and after a certain period of time or after using another app, when I press play it just starts playing from the Music App.

mrkgoo

Anyone had their Apple device 'forget' that they pay for additional iCloud storage?

My wife had a pop-up notification on her phone this morning saying iCloud can't backup because it has run of out space. At least I thought she may have filmed a 30gb video of the dog running around, but upon looking in the settings, it had reverted back to the defaul 5gb plan. Weird!

Is it possible a payment was forfeited? Like maybe she changed credit cards or some detail needed to be updated or accepted to continue payment that was never done?

Brandwin

So I have owned an iPhone ever since the very first one. Two years ago I left iPhone and got a Note 4 and last year I got a Nexus 6P. My 6P is still great, but I like having new things and I am thinking about going back to iPhone and getting an iPhone 7 Plus. I thought about getting a Google Pixel XL, but since AT&T doesn’t carry it and no telling when they will if ever, I am thinking about switching. I figured two years away, things would seem fresh and then next year when I upgrade I’ll look at iPhone 8 or Pixel XL (2).

Is there anything you guys who have switched miss from Android? I know main things I miss from iPhone is better apps, iMessage and how smooth everything is and seems to work.

if this is the wrong thread I apologize.

Rootbeer

Banned
what can i do to combat icloud calendar spam?

I keep getting spam that includes calendar stuff and it makes it pop up on my phone. but when i check my icloud mail I don't see any message that was sent to me? somehow it's just going right to the calendar asking me to confirm adding it.

I keep getting spam that includes calendar stuff and it makes it pop up on my phone. but when i check my icloud mail I don't see any message that was sent to me? somehow it's just going right to the calendar asking me to confirm adding it.

Happened me for the fist time ever yesterday, after many months rolling my eyes at people who claimed to have it happen. I always assumed they clicked some spam email by accident. Apple need to fix that FAST.

RDreamer

I dunno if this is the right thread to ask this, but does anyone know what the hell is up with the wifi on my iPhone 6s. It's been like this since I got it. My previous phone didn't have the problem, but I don't know if it's an iOS 10 thing or a router thing or what. Anyway, when I'm on wifi at home everything will work fine for a while and then suddenly when I'm loading a website, it could be any old website, it just stops. Won't load. I could leave it for an hour and it wouldn't finish loading. The second I turn off the wifi and go to LTE that website loads in an instant. If I turn wifi back on it might work for a while until a random website just doesn't load.

This has lead to me sticking to my LTE and racking up data at an abnormally huge rate because it's so ridiculously annoying to turn it on and off.

It doesn't seem to do the same thing at work unless I'm getting low wifi reception, which isn't the problem at home. Always pretty near my router and have all wifi 'bars.'

Any advice?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

The events will be full-day events in the Calendar app on the day you received the invite - they are not sent through email but through the app directly.
Don't delete them right away because that will notify the sender that you have a valid email address and likely set you up for further spam/login attacks.

Move the invite to a new calendar and delete that calendar, this will remove the event but not notify the sender.

I don't think there's currently a way to restrict who you can receive event invites from.

mrkgoo

I dunno if this is the right thread to ask this, but does anyone know what the hell is up with the wifi on my iPhone 6s. It's been like this since I got it. My previous phone didn't have the problem, but I don't know if it's an iOS 10 thing or a router thing or what. Anyway, when I'm on wifi at home everything will work fine for a while and then suddenly when I'm loading a website, it could be any old website, it just stops. Won't load. I could leave it for an hour and it wouldn't finish loading. The second I turn off the wifi and go to LTE that website loads in an instant. If I turn wifi back on it might work for a while until a random website just doesn't load.

This has lead to me sticking to my LTE and racking up data at an abnormally huge rate because it's so ridiculously annoying to turn it on and off.

It doesn't seem to do the same thing at work unless I'm getting low wifi reception, which isn't the problem at home. Always pretty near my router and have all wifi 'bars.'

Any advice?

Networking like this is a real pain to really figure out why.

It can be hardware problems, software problems on either router or device or just communication issues in between.

So many people get networking issues and are quick to blame this or that, but in truth it's really hard to diagnose.

For example, you may think that Theresa big in iOS 10, because it wasn't happening in iOS 9. But it COULD be that some wifi protocol was updated in iOS 10 that makes your router get confused.

At the moment I'm combatting some weird wifi issue on my iPhone 5 that once in a while, probably once a week, but some times it can happen several times, my wifi slows to a halt, usually when downloading something or otherwise actively trafficking data (of course it's possible that it happens other times and I don't notice). Sometimes turning wifi on and off fixes it, but usually I have to restart my phone.

Sounds like the phone, right? But anecdotally, it never happened when I sent my watch for repair for two weeks. Maybe the watch uses a connection via the phone and it confuses the router every now and again. I dunno.

Anyway, none pf this is any help. I assume you've tried all the basics like turning all the devices and your router in and off again, resetting up your wifi pairing etc.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Whatever the current beta is, Siri has a terrible hearing problem now. She misses a lot of my words, sometimes doesn't hear me when I scream into the phone while the mic is listening, make that usually does. Most of the time it only happens on the lock screen so I end up having to unlock to talk to her. But even then she sometimes still misses key words.

tmdorsey

Whatever the current beta is, Siri has a terrible hearing problem now. She misses a lot of my words, sometimes doesn't hear me when I scream into the phone while the mic is listening, make that usually does. Most of the time it only happens on the lock screen so I end up having to unlock to talk to her. But even then she sometimes still misses key words.

Same here. Talking to her lately has been frustrating. I don't understand why the dictation in the messaging app on the phone and watch is so much better than Siri in regards to picking up my words.

Ambitious

iPad Multitasking Redesigned by Tyson Junkers

ipad_app_drawer_-_lite.jpg

So I have an iphone 6s, my wife has an SE. We're both on iOS 10, and I noticed today that if I get two separate texts from a person in a row, they both show up on my lock screen.

However on her's if she gets two separate texts, it'll show one notification but a (X) where X is the number of texts. I find that much better.

Is there some sort of setting I'm missing to get this, or is this cause I've got the touch3d or whatever the hell it is called for quick reply action?

Number45

So I have an iphone 6s, my wife has an SE. We're both on iOS 10, and I noticed today that if I get two separate texts from a person in a row, they both show up on my lock screen.

However on her's if she gets two separate texts, it'll show one notification but a (X) where X is the number of texts. I find that much better.

Is there some sort of setting I'm missing to get this, or is this cause I've got the touch3d or whatever the hell it is called for quick reply action?
I would think something to do with the screen size?

Do you have message previews turned on?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really love that Twitters newest update FINALLY shows a (tiny) image preview of the image or video being tweeted. (Like when you get a text message with an image attachment.) I always hated when someone would tweet just an image and the notification was useless. Wish the thumbnail was bigger though.

All apps with images should do this.

Ambitious

I was close to having a meltdown. One of my most cherished videos in my photo library is corrupted. It's partially pixelated and it's full of artifacts. I haven't touched the video at all. It used to be perfectly fine, and now it's not.
Fortunately, I've set up the Photos app on my Mac to keep a local copy of the library, so I still have the original, intact version on it. It's just the iCloud version that's corrupted. Fuck iCloud.

mrkgoo

I was close to having a meltdown. One of my most cherished videos in my photo library is corrupted. It's partially pixelated and it's full of artifacts. I haven't touched the video at all. It used to be perfectly fine, and now it's not.
Fortunately, I've set up the Photos app on my Mac to keep a local copy of the library, so I still have the original, intact version on it. It's just the iCloud version that's corrupted. Fuck iCloud.

Could it just be playback of the iCloud version?

At any rate, you should always have a local copy of everything you cherish, and never rely on cloud services for your only copy.

Not just because of corruption, but you can make a mistake and end up just deleting it. RO you may lose access to it, etc.

Ambitious

Could it just be playback of the iCloud version?

At any rate, you should always have a local copy of everything you cherish, and never rely on cloud services for your only copy.

Not just because of corruption, but you can make a mistake and end up just deleting it. RO you may lose access to it, etc.

What would I have to do in order to fix the iCloud version? How can I trigger a re-upload of this one specific video?

Believe me, after many years of using Apple software, I'm well aware that you should never ever trust Apple cloud services. I've got local copies of everything.

mrkgoo

What would I have to do in order to fix the iCloud version? How can I trigger a re-upload of this one specific video?

Believe me, after many years of using Apple software, I'm well aware that you should never ever trust Apple cloud services. I've got local copies of everything.

I meant how do you know that it's the cloud version specifically that is corrupted and not just a particular device playing it back oddly?

That is are all your devices that are using the cloud version corruptednin exactly the same way?

And I would figure there are ways to restore the cloud version if that were the case but they would involve some toggling on and off of e revives which could take weeks of settling down again. But for example you could delete the file from iCloud and then resend a copy from your computer to one of your devices and have it resync. You'd probably lose some order or perhaps the upload quality wouldn't be the same for example.

Depends on how important it is to have that video on iCloud.

Easier way to do it would be to export the good copy out of Photos on your Mac, delete the corrupted one from your iPhone/iCloud, then reimport the good copy

So I have owned an iPhone ever since the very first one. Two years ago I left iPhone and got a Note 4 and last year I got a Nexus 6P. My 6P is still great, but I like having new things and I am thinking about going back to iPhone and getting an iPhone 7 Plus. I thought about getting a Google Pixel XL, but since AT&T doesn’t carry it and no telling when they will if ever, I am thinking about switching. I figured two years away, things would seem fresh and then next year when I upgrade I’ll look at iPhone 8 or Pixel XL (2).

Is there anything you guys who have switched miss from Android? I know main things I miss from iPhone is better apps, iMessage and how smooth everything is and seems to work.

if this is the wrong thread I apologize.

Just get the unlocked Pixel financed from the Google Store. No different than buying through ATT had they stocked it.

Pixieking

Banned
I'm having an issue with syncing Calendars between iOS devices. Could someone help me?

Created 2 events on iPad (Air 2), "Home Calendar".

Check Calendar on iPhone (SE) - events not synced.

I've left it literally days, and it doesn't appear to have synced - am I missing something. iOS 10.1.1 on both devices.

mrkgoo

I'm having an issue with syncing Calendars between iOS devices. Could someone help me?

Created 2 events on iPad (Air 2), "Home Calendar".

Check Calendar on iPhone (SE) - events not synced.

I've left it literally days, and it doesn't appear to have synced - am I missing something. iOS 10.1.1 on both devices.

Syncing can be a pain sometimes.

Check your settings are set to "push" for calendars On both your iPad and iPhone. Otherwise see if it syncs when you go to the calendar app, and select "calendars", then pull down to refresh and see if it refreshes manually.

Pixieking

Banned
Syncing can be a pain sometimes.

Check your settings are set to "push" for calendars On both your iPad and iPhone. Otherwise see if it syncs when you go to the calendar app, and select "calendars", then pull down to refresh and see if it refreshes manually.

Checked all the settings, and it's definitely set to "Push". Also, manually refresh doesn't do anything - they're still out of sync. :(

Ashhong

Homemade sex videos should always be backed up in 2 different sources.

mrkgoo

Checked all the settings, and it's definitely set to "Push". Also, manually refresh doesn't do anything - they're still out of sync. :(

OH, something simple, make sure the calendar you are syncing to is actually checked to be visible. The number of times people just have it hidden....

Is the calendar itself syncing, and just the events don't make it over? what happens if you make an even on the iPhone?
also try turning both devices off and off again.

After this, it might be useful to know if the iPad is failing to upload to the cloud, or if the iPhone is failing to download. You can check this by logging into iCloud.com and seeing whether the event is on your calendar in the cloud.

Pixieking

Banned
OH, something simple, make sure the calendar you are syncing to is actually checked to be visible. The number of times people just have it hidden....

Is the calendar itself syncing, and just the events don't make it over? what happens if you make an even on the iPhone?
also try turning both devices off and off again.

After this, it might be useful to know if the iPad is failing to upload to the cloud, or if the iPhone is failing to download. You can check this by logging into iCloud.com and seeing whether the event is on your calendar in the cloud.

Ahhh ha! It wasn't uploading to iCloud, so I poked about and changed some timezone settings on there (it had me on Pacific time when I bought both devices in the UK, and live in Jordan!). I also set timezone override on both devices. The iPad was also giving a message in General > Date and time about updated timezone settings that needed a restart. Restarted both devices, and now everything is syncing. Cheers - would never have thought to look at timezone settings if I hadn't noticed them on the iCloud website. :)

mrkgoo

Ahhh ha! It wasn't uploading to iCloud, so I poked about and changed some timezone settings on there (it had me on Pacific time when I bought both devices in the UK, and live in Jordan!). I also set timezone override on both devices. The iPad was also giving a message in General > Date and time about updated timezone settings that needed a restart. Restarted both devices, and now everything is syncing. Cheers - would never have thought to look at timezone settings if I hadn't noticed them on the iCloud website. :)

Joy! Yeah, troubleshooting any problem requires starting off with the easy solutions and logically working backwards to see if you can identify the source. Hopefully it all stays working now!

Nodnol

Not necessarily an iOS 10 issue, but you guys might be able to help...

Just got an iPhone 7 (upgrading from a 6), and all is well apart from iTunes asking me every two minutes to sign in to two different accounts that aren't mine, presumedly to authorize some purchases in my library.

One of these people I don't even speak to anymore. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom