• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

Not necessarily an iOS 10 issue, but you guys might be able to help...

Just got an iPhone 7 (upgrading from a 6), and all is well apart from iTunes asking me every two minutes to sign in to two different accounts that aren't mine, presumedly to authorize some purchases in my library.

One of these people I don't even speak to anymore. Any ideas?

If you can;t sign in, the best thing actually is to identify what those purchases are and remove them from your computer.

OH wait, you mean your phone. Same deal though. Find out what those are (presumable apps), and get rid of them.

If you can;t sign in, the best thing actually is to identify what those purchases are and remove them from your computer.

OH wait, you mean your phone. Same deal though. Find out what those are (presumable apps), and get rid of them.

Yep, that's what has to be done. Delete what was bought with their ID and if it's free redownload it with yours

ZeroX03

Banned
Huge news for lovers of good video players. Infuse 5 is out and it finally has Split View and PIP* support. Oh and streaming from cloud services (Google Drive, OneDrive and Dropbox) if that's your thing. For my money - and yeah I paid for pro - it's the best damn video playing app on iOS by a mile. Drag and drop anything and it plays.

Bad news is, they've switched to a $7 sub a year model. So if you paid for old versions, you'll have to cough up again. You can buy a $12 standalone version but it won't include updates past Infuse 5 so it seems sub is the best way to go by far.

It's a damn good app and there's a month trial of Pro.

*h.264 only, split view is all videos. Apple restriction.

Went to a local reseller near work and they confirmed mine is covered, let me take a photo of the list of eligible phones as I told them my sister was having the same problem (and the girl at the apple store who served me) starting to think its a bigger deal than Apple is letting on

hope this helps for anyone else concerned;

http://imgur.com/a/LcGXH

the girl said I had to book an appointment with Apple and backup etc

Relieved more than anything, I read an article that said it was phones made between sept and oct last year i think i bought mine late september so it would have had to have been from an earlier batch

ZeroX03

Banned
Went to a local reseller near work and they confirmed mine is covered, let me take a photo of the list of eligible phones as I told them my sister was having the same problem (and the girl at the apple store who served me) starting to think its a bigger deal than Apple is letting on

Relieved more than anything, I read an article that said it was phones made between sept and oct last year i think i bought mine late september so it would have had to have been from an earlier batch

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Oh wow, I had no idea this was a thing. This happens to my device. It happens so infrequently I've never worried too much about it, but my serial number is in the range. I guess I'll do that then.

Useful too, every now and then my phone battery has been draining super quickly and I've been need to run it out before it starts giving me correct charge again.

Megasoum

Banned
So this is gonna sound like a dumb question but I just got my iPhone 7 and I just can't figure out how to go from a notification on the lock screen to the appropriate app?

Like let's say I have a Twitter notification on my lockscreen, how do I unlock my phone and directly go to the twitter app?

Some apps have longpress/3D touch stuff like the alarm clock for example but most don't...

mrkgoo

It's a big enough deal that they have released a repair program for it. It's not like they're going to make a big press release about it.

jts

...hate me...
Is the 6s Plus nested within that “6s”?

My serial number falls within that list and my 6s Plus has definitely shut itself down with a good percentage of battery left.

I’ve shrugged it off and attributed it to the cold though, since my iPhone 5 used to do the same once in a while.

mrkgoo

Is the 6s Plus nested within that “6s”?

My serial number falls within that list and my 6s Plus has definitely shut itself down with a good percentage of battery left.

I’ve shrugged it off and attributed it to the cold though, since my iPhone 5 used to do the same once in a while.

The iPhone 5 had an issue with similar symptoms.

But yes, temepratur can affect batteries as well as software bugs can affect reporting. Sometimes they can simply report wrong for a bit and then settle down.

It can also depend heavily on usage. Like you're doing something very low demand and the estimation of battery life adjusts accordingly. Then you switch and it hasn't figured out the speed of drain yet and does so later for example.

tmdorsey

So this is gonna sound like a dumb question but I just got my iPhone 7 and I just can't figure out how to go from a notification on the lock screen to the appropriate app?

Like let's say I have a Twitter notification on my lockscreen, how do I unlock my phone and directly go to the twitter app?

Some apps have longpress/3D touch stuff like the alarm clock for example but most don't...

Swipe the notification itself to the right.

jts

...hate me...
The iPhone 5 had an issue with similar symptoms.

But yes, temepratur can affect batteries as well as software bugs can affect reporting. Sometimes they can simply report wrong for a bit and then settle down.

It can also depend heavily on usage. Like you're doing something very low demand and the estimation of battery life adjusts accordingly. Then you switch and it hasn't figured out the speed of drain yet and does so later for example.

I had my iPhone 5 replaced thanks to the program back then, but even with the replacement I experienced the shut down behaviour in colder temperatures.

It’s like you said. Usually for me battery-intensive tasks (camera, GPS, celular streaming) + cold = shut down. Thankfully I usually carry my powerbank that can revive it instantly, instead of waiting for it to warm up again.

I still feel that it happens more to my iPhones than other people’s. I also carry a 7 years long backup that people insist to me I must let go off and start clean, but I can’t be bothered.

In any case, I might call Apple and check.

X-Frame

Does anyone know of any apps that can scan your current Music/iTunes Library and then be able to tell you when new album releases happen of the artists in the library?

bjork

Updated to 10.1.1 and now the camera just shows a black screen. But the camera works in facetime, so I know the physical camera actually works. Shutting the phone down and turning it back on doesn't fix it. Surely a factory reset isn't my only option here?

edit - I got it. I had to go general > settings > reset phone, and that did the trick. I wonder what happened?

j-wood

My frequent locations history is still completely empty, and I have everything needed turned on. Any ideas? It's annoying not getting travel times to home and work on my maps widget. iPhone 7 on 10.1.1.

This list sounds right to me. My phone that has the shutdown issue definitely has one of these serials, while the other 6s is nowhere close.

bjork

Updated to 10.1.1 and now the camera just shows a black screen. But the camera works in facetime, so I know the physical camera actually works. Shutting the phone down and turning it back on doesn't fix it. Surely a factory reset isn't my only option here?

edit - I got it. I had to go general > settings > reset phone, and that did the trick. I wonder what happened?

Got up last night for work, and went to take a picture of something. Camera doesn't work again. Reset the phone, and still no dice. I really don't feel like making a trek to the apple store during holiday shopping, so I hope this is just something they fix in an update later.

Ambitious

Has anyone tried 2Do and/or Bear recently?

2Do went free with IAPs three weeks ago, so I gave it a try.
I'm not really convinced. The app is very powerful and has a lot of useful features, but as a consequence of that, the UI is a bit crowded and also unintuitive at times. Apart from that, I really don't like how it looks on iOS. The turquoise which is used throughout the app is pretty ugly in my opinion, and some UI elements look a bit out of place on iOS.
The Mac app looks decent, though.

Bear is a new notes app which came out just a few weeks ago. I gotta say, I'm blown away by its UI. Very clean, very modern, and just incredibly sleek, especially the Mac version. Here's Federico Viticci's article about it.

I'm thinking about switching from the stock app, but I'm sceptical about the pricing model: The app is free to use, but in order to unlock themes, export options and iCloud Sync, you have to buy a subscription. It's $1.49/month or $14.99/year. If you choose the annual subscription, the themes and the export options will be unlocked forever, though.

I would really prefer a one-time-purchase. (And I absolutely wouldn't mind having to pay for the next major version again either - I do it all the time.) I don't use the Notes app particulary often, so having to pay a monthly fee doesn't feel appropriate.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
what can i do to combat icloud calendar spam?

I keep getting spam that includes calendar stuff and it makes it pop up on my phone. but when i check my icloud mail I don't see any message that was sent to me? somehow it's just going right to the calendar asking me to confirm adding it.
I just got this myself. I did what the user below you said, moved it to another calendar and then deleted that calendar since it doesn't get assigned to anything at the start. What I don't get is if you try to delete the event itself it only gives you the option to Notify or Cancel. There's no Don't Notify option. But if you move it to a calendar then delete that calendar, THEN you get an option to Not Notify the sender. Why isn't that available from the beginning?

With this and my recent iMessage spam and other peoples Photos spam, Apple really needs to figure some stuff out.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I just got this myself. I did what the user below you said, moved it to another calendar and then deleted that calendar since it doesn't get assigned to anything at the start. What I don't get is if you try to delete the event itself it only gives you the option to Notify or Cancel. There's no Don't Notify option. But if you move it to a calendar then delete that calendar, THEN you get an option to Not Notify the sender. Why isn't that available from the beginning?

With this and my recent iMessage spam and other peoples Photos spam, Apple really needs to figure some stuff out.

Apple should add a setting to restrict invites from non-Contacts.

Quick and only way of solving it in the meantime though is to change your Apple ID email to something else. The reason you're being spammed is because the email was part of a breach at some point and is now in the open domain so-to-speak so you get these testers that fish for active accounts via spam.

Bear is a new notes app which came out just a few weeks ago. I gotta say, I'm blown away by its UI. Very clean, very modern, and just incredibly sleek, especially the Mac version. Here's Federico Viticci's article about it.

I'm thinking about switching from the stock app, but I'm sceptical about the pricing model: The app is free to use, but in order to unlock themes, export options and iCloud Sync, you have to buy a subscription. It's $1.49/month or $14.99/year. If you choose the annual subscription, the themes and the export options will be unlocked forever, though.

I would really prefer a one-time-purchase. (And I absolutely wouldn't mind having to pay for the next major version again either - I do it all the time.) I don't use the Notes app particulary often, so having to pay a monthly fee doesn't feel appropriate.

Bear is trying auto-renewable subscriptions (which are new to apps in 10) because the traditional revenue model is not working for most indie studios. This is really a workaround to the fact that Apple doesn't allow upgrades or upgrade pricing, or demos for that matter.

I agree though that subscription pricing is weird for Bear since they have no ongoing costs aside from development.

I'm actually not a fan of Bear's UI – while it's clean and has some nice color schemes, it looks much too Androidy, very inspired by Material Design. iOS apps should look like iOS. As for the notes part, since getting my iPad Pro I use the Pencil to add drawings to my notes all the time. Bear doesn't support that, so it's a no go for me. I would actually be interested in a notes app in which type and drawings were more integrated, like a digital Moleskin. Something like the prototype Microsoft book device that got canned.

mrkgoo

Apple should add a setting to restrict invites from non-Contacts.

Quick and only way of solving it in the meantime though is to change your Apple ID email to something else. The reason you're being spammed is because the email was part of a breach at some point and is now in the open domain so-to-speak so you get these testers that fish for active accounts via spam.

Just a caveat to that tactic - screwing with your email address as Apple ID identifier (which may be impossible anyway if they're contacting you via your iCloud.com address), can mess things up if you don't know what you're doing. Many times have I seen people change their email address ... then change their password. Then certain loins that logged in under the old address require that old address confirmation before switching to the new one and require that old password.

Past purchases also remain with the account per se, but can remain tagged with the old address. Usually doesn't cause issues but it can. It's tricky.

The better solution is as real
Abed requests and to be able to stop unwanted incoming invites.

Fliesen

no idea if this has been posted, but regarding the calendar spam invites... (which apple needs to fix ASAP), getting 1 per day here...

when logging into icloud in your browser, hit calebdar, go into settings, advanced - here you can change it so calendar invites will arrive as a regular old email and won't be pushed straight into your calendar app. less of a hassle to delete them that way i presume.

still. apple, fix that shit. i don't need UGG. oots, not even at 70% off

Can anyone recommend me a good keyboard? I love swiftkey on my Nexus 6p but it is horrible on iOS. I'm currently using Gboard but I feel like the keys are so small and the spelling predictions are not aggressive enough that it completely adds a different word than what I was actually typing. On top of that, the keys are so small and I don't have the biggest fingers in the world but coming from such a big keyboard on the 6P to this tiny letters has been such a pain.

Any recommendations?

Vyer

Can anyone recommend me a good keyboard? I love swiftkey on my Nexus 6p but it is horrible on iOS. I'm currently using Gboard but I feel like the keys are so small and the spelling predictions are not aggressive enough that it completely adds a different word than what I was actually typing. On top of that, the keys are so small and I don't have the biggest fingers in the world but coming from such a big keyboard on the 6P to this tiny letters has been such a pain.

Any recommendations?

Give MS' word flow keyboard a shot

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My 6s+ just shut itself off at 42% battery and refused to turn back on. When I eventually plugged it in, it started back up at 42%. For the last couple of weeks the battery gauge had been shooting down after about 40%, but would then just sit at 1-2% and be fine for ages.

I thought the battery issue only affected the smaller iPhone?

mrkgoo

My 6s+ just shut itself off at 42% battery and refused to turn back on. When I eventually plugged it in, it started back up at 42%. For the last couple of weeks the battery gauge had been shooting down after about 40%, but would then just sit at 1-2% and be fine for ages.

The battery issue may only have a repair program for the smaller phone.... for now. The repair programs happen once apple determine a serial number range affected and after researching the issue. It's entirely possible any phone could have any number of problems and they just haven't had enough to warrant a repair program.

Apple has diagnostics to determine many hardware issues - if you're concerned speak to Apple and maybe get your device checked out. If enough people start having the issue with the 6S+ they may extend the repair program to cover it.

In addition, you're in U.K., right? Does the UK have similar consumer laws that essentially extend the warranty to 2 years? If so, and you think it's a hardware issue you can keep pushing on Apple for a repair. You'd have to go through some of their checks like their diagnostics tools and ultimately a full restore with no backup to show the issue happens even on a restore device phone.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there a way to prevent an app to take over the sound volume?

For example sometime an ad on GAF (via Chrome) will completely take over the sound and turn off my music. I then have to manuall re-open Google Music to start the music again.

Another example is with the new Microsoft Solitaire Collection they released last week. If I open the app while listening the music the volume will go down even if all the sounds are turned off in the game's setting.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there a way to prevent an app to take over the sound volume?

For example sometime an ad on GAF (via Chrome) will completely take over the sound and turn off my music. I then have to manuall re-open Google Music to start the music again.

Another example is with the new Microsoft Solitaire Collection they released last week. If I open the app while listening the music the volume will go down even if all the sounds are turned off in the game's setting.
I wish I knew a way too. I hate when I just want to view a quick video on Twitter and it pauses my music. Just play the video with the audio over my music, I don't care. Just don't pause my damn music. Especially annoying when the video doesn't even have audio anyway.

Megasoum

Banned
I wish I knew a way too. I hate when I just want to view a quick video on Twitter and it pauses my music. Just play the video with the audio over my music, I don't care. Just don't pause my damn music. Especially annoying when the video doesn't even have audio anyway.

Yeah... Or at least if it didn't overwrite the music app in the control center so that I could resume my music without having to go back to the home screen and then inside the music app to resume it.

Kindekuma

Banned

6S user here. YES. Same exact issue, except it shuts down past 30%. Go to an Apple Store or authorized repair center and have them replace your battery. I had a defective battery that gets a free battery swap, you seem eligible for it too.

Dany

Banned
I use Gmail as my primary email account. I have lock screen notifications turned off. But I would like to them turned on for starred and emails labeled "Work"

I know you can't do it in the Gmail app, but are there any other that could?

Kindekuma

Banned
Make it stop.

ETQUEpo.png

mrkgoo

On the desktop:

www.icloud.com/#calendar

Little cog on bottom left -> Preferences -> Advanced

Then choose this and save:

That should stop it.

As for deleting your current invites, I just declined mine. So what if spammers know that my account is active. Apparently they assume that to begin with. Now deal with my email spam filter.

I think that's the thing, right? people are worried it will alert spammers that your account is "active" and send more spam....but isn't that what they're doing anyway? What have they got to lose by sending more spam as if your account was active when it isn't?

jts

...hate me...
I think that's the thing, right? people are worried it will alert spammers that your account is "active" and send more spam....but isn't that what they're doing anyway? What have they got to lose by sending more spam as if your account was active when it isn't?

Exactly.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
On the desktop:

www.icloud.com/#calendar

Little cog on bottom left -> Preferences -> Advanced

Then choose this and save:

That should stop it.

As for deleting your current invites, I just declined mine. So what if spammers know that my account is active. Apparently they assume that to begin with. Now deal with my email spam filter.

Thanks for this

Riptwo

If you don't want spammers knowing that your account is active on delete, create a new calendar called something like "spam" or "the bullshit phisherman," move the invite into said calendar, and then proceed to delete the calendar itself. You'll get the option to delete it without notifying the senders.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hopefully Apple pushes an update that includes a "only from people in your contacts" option, and make it on by default, and make it enable itself by default. There is no situation in which anyone should be able to just invite strangers to things that doesn't have anything to do with advertising.

mrkgoo

Hopefully Apple pushes an update that includes a "only from people in your contacts" option, and make it on by default, and make it enable itself by default. There is no situation in which anyone should be able to just invite strangers to things that doesn't have anything to do with advertising.

This. So much this.

People say this should have been how it is from eh beginning, but you know, we've had iCloud for years without this happening.

I get random Game Centre invites and stuff like that occasionally. It's just the nature of connectivity and cloud services. Hopefully they add the necessary options soon. With it blowing up like this, hopefully it's REAL soon. I haven't actually received any invites yet though.

I really wish the backlight slider and app volume slider were still both on the same control center tab, and along with that I wish the sliders were easier to grab/slide without accidentally swiping to a different control center tab. That's probably my single biggest gripe with this version. (Biggest gripe used to be the way they changed the TouchID unlock, but I found out you could change that back to the old way so I'm happy now).

mrkgoo

I really wish the backlight slider and app volume slider were still both on the same control center tab, and along with that I wish the sliders were easier to grab/slide without accidentally swiping to a different control center tab. That's probably my single biggest gripe with this version. (Biggest gripe used to be the way they changed the TouchID unlock, but I found out you could change that back to the old way so I'm happy now).

I can't say Im particularly bothered, but it does highlight how complex it has become.

When the iPhone first came out, it was all about focus. this kids this, that did that. You saw controls on screen and there was deliberate skeuomorphism to it all. Of course it kind of had to to train people on the incoming touch screen revolution.

But now, you have gestures on top of gestures, edge-to-edge swipe vs hold and swipe, hidden controls, force touch, long press etc. Are we at the point where these kinds of hidden controls and gestures are intuitive for people coming fresh? How long did it take the mainstream to accept right-click or double-click?

That all said, I typically give all new setups a chance. There's kind of no point "fighting" it too much. If they have changed something, usually it's for a reason. I'll try adopting it best i can.

No swipe to unlock was probably the biggest change to muscle-memory since the launch of the iPhone - it was patented and was a nearly like a tentpole feature of the unveil, Steve Jobs was so proud to show it off. But even with that, it took me a few days to get used to it and now i don't even care.

I do, however,r still swipe randomly on my lock screen notifications, not fully having sub-consciously figured out what does what.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd give anything to be able to customize the Control Center the same way I can icons. I want to be able to merge AirDrop and AirPlay into one row with two buttons instead of wasting two whole rows and half a page, move the music page into the main page and get rid of the second page. There's like a third of the screen above the Control Center popup. Plenty of room to put everything in one place. I fucking HATE switching between pages for commonly used stuff. I have all my main apps on my one home screen with a couple folders of the rest of the stuff ordered by most important on iOS, and all my apps in LaunchPad on one page with categorized folders for the remaining stuff as well.

Also, please let us have folders with at least a 4x5 grid per page. If not 4x4. Even on the iPad that's constricting, but at least on an iPhone it would make more sense.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Spam is traditionally the first step in detecting active accounts. Second step is phishing targeted at those accounts alongside attempts at breaching the password. There's an industry surrounding each of these pieces with a buyer/seller market of the related information.

That said, anyone who's had an email part of a big site breach like LinkedIn or similar and has that email used on another site already have 10-20 breach attempts daily. Keep a strong password and 2FA. :)

Why do you need app volume as a slider when you can use the volume keys? If you're concerned you'll inadvertently lower alarm or ringer volumes, you can separate those from regular volume in Settings so they remain unaffected.

mrkgoo

Spam is traditionally the first step in detecting active accounts. Second step is phishing targeted at those accounts alongside attempts at breaching the password. There's an industry surrounding each of these pieces with a buyer/seller market of the related information.

That said, anyone who's had an email part of a big site breach like LinkedIn or similar and has that email used on another site already have 10-20 breach attempts daily. Keep a strong password and 2FA. :)

Why do you need app volume as a slider when you can use the volume keys? If you're concerned you'll inadvertently lower alarm or ringer volumes, you can separate those from regular volume in Settings so they remain unaffected.

Good points, but why not just target phishing to begin with? It's like checking for "active" accounts is a pointless step. Go straight to the phishing, and you'll know if you get an active one or not at the same time as a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom