• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Good points, but why not just target phishing to begin with? It's like checking for "active" accounts is a pointless step. Go straight to the phishing, and you'll know if you get an active one or not at the same time as a response.

It's not mutually exclusive of course, but there are massive organisations that dedicate themselves to any one part of the process and then simply sell-on, trade or escalate the information to another group that then does their thing. The "bad guys" so to speak are nothing short of industrious.

In a warped way it is exactly in the same way a typical Customer Service department function where there are different tiers handling different tasks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are there any memory expansion accessories that are any good? Have an iPad Pro 9.7 with only 32GB and not much space left and I have a couple of long haul flights coming up. you can get USB flash drive type things but can they be used transparently on iOS devices or are you stuck using their apps? Ideally would be using it for plex, iPlayer or Netflix downloads

Edit : holy shit, just tried this random thing https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/out-of-space-on-your-iphone-try-this-magic-trick-to-free-up-more/. And went from 2.36GB free to 6.48GB free! You just try and rent something big like LOTR extended edition, and it fails because you don't have enough space, but then you get a bunch of space back. I did notice that my safari icon was dimmed and had 'cleaning' written where it normally says safari, so I guess it's clearing out caches, but that's surprising how much space it's hogging.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've heard mixed results on that rent to clear cache method in iOS 10, whereby you'll end up renting the movie and paying for it while it'll state it can't be downloaded at the time but will be available for you once you have space. Just like how apps allow you to purchase them without downloading them now.

mrkgoo

There are so many areas that have caches that never seem to get emptied.

Check out how much your Netflix or Facebook app are using for example.

Latest podcast app also bloats itself into the GB with caching. It was annoying and the only way to get it back was to do a restore and then apply backup.

Fortunately in iOS 10 I can now "delete" the podcast app and then re "install" it to clear th cache.

mrkgoo

Are there any memory expansion accessories that are any good? Have an iPad Pro 9.7 with only 32GB and not much space left and I have a couple of long haul flights coming up. you can get USB flash drive type things but can they be used transparently on iOS devices or are you stuck using their apps? Ideally would be using it for plex, iPlayer or Netflix downloads

Edit : holy shit, just tried this random thing https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/out-of-space-on-your-iphone-try-this-magic-trick-to-free-up-more/. And went from 2.36GB free to 6.48GB free! You just try and rent something big like LOTR extended edition, and it fails because you don't have enough space, but then you get a bunch of space back. I did notice that my safari icon was dimmed and had 'cleaning' written where it normally says safari, so I guess it's clearing out caches, but that's surprising how much space it's hogging.

I just noticed the "cleaning" on some of the apps as well (not my phone - my wife's - I try to keep GBs free). Tried to update some apps on her phone, and one failed, I assume due to storage, then I watched the home screen go through some apps, not just safari, with "cleaning". Probably cleared out some aches. So it DOES have the ability to do it. I just wish there were a button to do so manually.

For some reason, almost every time I am added to a group chat, I see my own number as a member of the group chat. If I send a message in the chat, I receive my own message back in the chat..

Does anyone else have this problem?

There are so many areas that have caches that never seem to get emptied.

Check out how much your Netflix or Facebook app are using for example.

Latest podcast app also bloats itself into the GB with caching. It was annoying and the only way to get it back was to do a restore and then apply backup.

Fortunately in iOS 10 I can now "delete" the podcast app and then re "install" it to clear th cache.

Videos is the worst. Streaming a movie and it'll just keep the fucking file with no way to manually remove it since it wasn't "downloaded".

And yea that's why I use pocket casts instead to have more control over that kinda stuff.

Also log out of the app store/itunes on your ipad to clear video cache.

Ambitious

December 2014:
Take your iPad and rotate it to landscape. Open any site in Safari and tap on a textfield to make the keyboard appear. Tap the Share button.

imageqgut5.jpg

They fixed it at some point. (With iOS 9, I believe)

December 2016:

Daffy Duck

I know it's iOS 9 but I'm at my wits end here,my lads iPad won't download a game he wants,I've restarted the device sines out of the App Store and back in again and it won't download, tried different games and nothing...

I think my number one starting point I would give to Apple to begin reducing the complexity of iOS is to eliminate, or significantly reduce the use of through guardrails, landscape exclusive views on the iPhone Plus models.

I think we can say at this point that in 90% of cases it was a failed experiment, and the resolution, screen size, and aspect ratio does not give enough room for beneficial landscape use-cases.

KingKong

Anyone ever have any issues with GPS? is it related to the carrier itself? I noticed last week that my gps wasnt working right (it would keep moving randomly every few seconds so I couldnt use drive directions at all) and I was going to go to the Apple store but it seems to have fixed itself

Anyone ever have any issues with GPS? is it related to the carrier itself? I noticed last week that my gps wasnt working right (it would keep moving randomly every few seconds so I couldnt use drive directions at all) and I was going to go to the Apple store but it seems to have fixed itself

Do you keep wifi on while driving? Make sure you do, even just having the wifi chip turned on helps a lot

Quidam

So is there a good, impartial list out there of the best apps of the year? All the YouTube videos I've found seem full of self-promotion. I'm thinking productivity / creative / health based apps.

mrkgoo

It's insane how unstable MacOS and iOS are these days. Two hard Mac freezes today. Anybody got this problem on iOS?

DKRdHkn.jpg

What are your freezes on mac? I haven't upgraded to sierra, still on el captain, but I get a freeze every few days and I've narrowed it down to the distnoted process. At some point a notification comes in and the process goes wild chewing up processor use. Everything. Halts. The only thing to do is use activity monitor to force quit the process (and o have to do some fenagering to even get that to happen).

The shame about the rapid yearly upgrade cycle is that I can expect this bug to never be fixed in El Capitan.

As for iOS, I've had nearly
No issue with ios10 on my iPhone 5

Chittagong

Gold Member
What are your freezes on mac? I haven't upgraded to sierra, still on el captain, but I get a freeze every few days and I've narrowed it down to the distnoted process. At some point a notification comes in and the process goes wild chewing up processor use. Everything. Halts. The only thing to do is use activity monitor to force quit the process (and o have to do some fenagering to even get that to happen).

The shame about the rapid yearly upgrade cycle is that I can expect this bug to never be fixed in El Capitan.

As for iOS, I've had nearly
No issue with ios10 on my iPhone 5

I haven't been able to pin down the freezes in Sierra. Most of our studio have them. Some days I think it's Creative Cloud hanging, other days I think it's a Synology server issue, some days I think it's a clipboard or core UI issue, today iMessage hung me up. I am actually losing a few minutes of work each time between auto saves. Last time this happened was preOSX days. Just insane.

mrkgoo

I haven't been able to pin down the freezes in Sierra. Most of our studio have them. Some days I think it's Creative Cloud hanging, other days I think it's a Synology server issue, some days I think it's a clipboard or core UI issue, today iMessage hung me up. I am actually losing a few minutes of work each time between auto saves. Last time this happened was preOSX days. Just insane.

I've heard some reports that people are still getting the distnoted hangs on sierra.

Just keep activity monitor open and next time it happens check if it's this process hanging. You have to select memory then go back to CPU to see it thought because when it happens activity monitor also becomes a bit unresponsive. Then hit CPU "time".

Otherwise what are the symptoms of your freezes? Complete system freeze? Mine are and the menu bar on particular becomes unresponsive.

Ambitious

At some point within the last weeks, the stock Mail app decided to put my emails into the trash bin when I archive them. No, I did not change the setting. The toolbar at the bottom shows the archive icon, not the trash bin icon. I've verified the settings. Switching to Deleting and then back the Archiving again seemed to have fixed it, but after two days, it again deletes emails instead of archiving them.

I have no idea since when it does that. Gmail keeps emails in the trash bin for 30 days, so if the bug surfaced before that, I have irrecoverably lost many, many emails.

I am so fucking sick of this incompetent company.

Chorazin

Hey everyone, just jumped back on the iOS train with an iPad Pro 9.7", it's awesome! I switched to Android around iOS 6, so coming from an Android tablet is a bit jarring (and surprising to see how much iOS has changed!)

My main thing...is there really no quick reply in iOS yet? I keep wanting to do more with my notifications. Am I missing something?

Other than that, it's just getting used to the quirks of the OS to get over, which I'll get used to soon enough I'm sure!

Hey everyone, just jumped back on the iOS train with an iPad Pro 9.7", it's awesome! I switched to Android around iOS 6, so coming from an Android tablet is a bit jarring (and surprising to see how much iOS has changed!)

My main thing...is there really no quick reply in iOS yet? I keep wanting to do more with my notifications. Am I missing something?

Other than that, it's just getting used to the quirks of the OS to get over, which I'll get used to soon enough I'm sure!

Quick reply for the notifications from which app?

iavi

Not on the iPad, yet--I do t think. It's a force touch to quick reply on the iphone

Chorazin

Thanks for the replies!

On the iPad, depending on if the app is coded for it, you can quick reply from banner notifications.

Ah, ok, that's the same as Android then. I didn't see the option on Twitter, FB, FB Messenger, any of the big names I'd expect it to have. Do i need to swipe in a special direction, or is there a icon to tap?

Also, no Instragram app yet for iPad? Can you still get the phone version and just deal with it being blown up like back in the olden iPad days?

tmdorsey

Thanks for the replies!

Ah, ok, that's the same as Android then. I didn't see the option on Twitter, FB, FB Messenger, any of the big names I'd expect it to have. Do i need to swipe in a special direction, or is there a icon to tap?

Also, no Instragram app yet for iPad? Can you still get the phone version and just deal with it being blown up like back in the olden iPad days?

Pull down on the notification.

As far as Instagram I would probably just use the web site?

Not on the iPad, yet--I do t think. It's a force touch to quick reply on the iphone

On the iPad, depending on if the app is coded for it, you can quick reply from banner notifications.

Thanks for the replies!

Pull down on the notification.

As far as Instagram I would probably just use the web site?

You can also quick reply from the lockscreen on non 3D Touch devices by sliding the notification to the left until you see the view button. Tap on that and it operates just like if you 3D touched on it.

Chorazin

You can also quick reply from the lockscreen on non 3D Touch devices by sliding the notification to the left until you see the view button. Tap on that and it operates just like if you 3D touched on it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That's the trick!

I also realized the ones that pop up on the screen you can drag down and quick reply, if they go away then I do the slide thing.

Red

Can anyone recommend a good weather app/widget? AccuWeather no longer displays properly as a widget. It overlaps text and icons and often is completely unreadable.

Can anyone recommend a good weather app/widget? AccuWeather no longer displays properly as a widget. It overlaps text and icons and often is completely unreadable.
I've always been partial to Yahoo Weather's app. I like the design and the widget is nice. If you live in a more populated city, then it'll update with images around your area.

No, but how did you get a dark keyboard?

I think that's spotlight search.

And yea, iOS 10 has been unstable as fuck. So many god damn bugs. I really wish apple would pay as much attention to detail for their software as they do hardware.

-Notification dropdown that appears cut off and off screen (sing landscape notification view in portrait mode)

-Unresponsive screen until I lock and unlock the screen.

-iCloud Calendar spam

-Constant icloud password prompts after changing my password. This is due to having multiple devices signed in w/ old password. Instead of informing the user their other devices have the wrong password and to update it'll just endlessly prompt the user to enter their password. And even after updating the passwords it'll keep happening until the user happens to have their macbook open so they'll see the icloud keychain prompt that was never mentioned on any other device.

-Bluetooth 4.0 headphones having constantly crackling and popping and skipping that never occurred with iOS 9.

-Apple Music having to hold the screen when using force touch. Which results in erroneous inputs if the user lets go of the screen while highlighting the wrong item. I'm constantly accidentally adding playlist songs to my library because I held my phone wrong on the train while in apple music when moving or getting up or something.

And FFS how many years will it take for apple to add downloading of maps for offline viewing? I'm in NYC every fucking day. Can't I just download the map of the area?

Or better yet allow users to select default apps? So the functionality can be tied into siri or other system level functions?

NandoGip

Do you keep wifi on while driving? Make sure you do, even just having the wifi chip turned on helps a lot

I discovered you can actually use GPS with your cellular disabled thanks to the wifi. I have a wifi only ipad and stumbled upon this when attempting to use it as a map. Although, I'm pretty sure it only works in dense areas where it can bounce wifi off of routers

I discovered you can actually use GPS with your cellular disabled thanks to the wifi. I have a wifi only ipad and stumbled upon this when attempting to use it as a map. Although, I'm pretty sure it only works in dense areas where it can bounce wifi off of routers

That is correct. Go outside of like an urban environment and it's useless

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Or better yet allow users to select default apps? So the functionality can be tied into siri or other system level functions?
They really need this. If they want to do it the Apple way just make sure each system app that can be replaced has a specific set of APIs that need to be hooked into in the same exact way in order to get considered and added to the list. For instance a browser would need to do everything Safari can be told to do from outside apps. Open URLs for example. Or an alarm app would need to be able to be told to set alarms for a specific time by Siri. A music app would need to be able to be told to play and pause like they do, play specific songs, register its song listing database for Siri and Spotlight to be able to search, etc.

It'd be a lot of thought to plan out but it's the only way Apple would allow it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I had the funniest bug on iOS 10 today. When I came to the main menu, only the notification badges were wiggling, like icons wiggle when you are in the rearrange mode. So goddam sloppy :D

Chittagong

Gold Member
I've heard some reports that people are still getting the distnoted hangs on sierra.

Just keep activity monitor open and next time it happens check if it's this process hanging. You have to select memory then go back to CPU to see it thought because when it happens activity monitor also becomes a bit unresponsive. Then hit CPU "time".

Otherwise what are the symptoms of your freezes? Complete system freeze? Mine are and the menu bar on particular becomes unresponsive.

Couple of different kind of freezes

- Beachball freeze, pointer still moves but clicking or keyboard does nothing
- Unresponsive freeze, no beach ball, pointer moves but clicking or keyboard does nothing
- Full freeze, just losing pointer and any control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom