• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

Couple of different kind of freezes

- Beachball freeze, pointer still moves but clicking or keyboard does nothing
- Unresponsive freeze, no beach ball, pointer moves but clicking or keyboard does nothing
- Full freeze, just losing pointer and any control
Have you checked the distnoted process when it happens (and have control)?

mrkgoo

I have not, when the freezes happen clicking does nothing so I can't get to Activity Monitor, and Cmd-Tab does nothing either

Weird.

On another note, is this a weird quirk in iOS 10? When only lock screen I ask Siri to locate a friend, it just comes up with "you'll need to unlock your iPhone first", and then prompts for the passcode. However it shouldn't be locked as such, because I have it set to only ask for passcode once every four hours.

I can access other Siri requests from the lock screen.

Weird.

On another note, is this a weird quirk in iOS 10? When only lock screen I ask Siri to locate a friend, it just comes up with "you'll need to unlock your iPhone first", and then prompts for the passcode. However it shouldn't be locked as such, because I have it set to only ask for passcode once every four hours.

I can access other Siri requests from the lock screen.

Of course location of a friend is locked behind a passcode, so no random goober can swipe your phone and track people

mrkgoo

Of course location of a friend is locked behind a passcode, so no random goober can swipe your phone and track people

Yeah doing a bit of research suggest that kind of info is locked behind a passcode. I remember having find my friends on required a passcode for that reason I assume.

But I swear I could ask Siri before on the lock screen before. And on that note I swear I also saw maps on my find my friend widget. Now it just has text location.

Just odd they make the change to not allow now. Guess it was from those recent complaints about using Siri on lock screen to get to access to certain things.

I wouldce thought my phone is actually unlocked when I put passcode in and I have it set to 4 hours so it doesn't actualy lock again within that time but I guess lock screen is lock screen.

I'm not a big fan of the changes in the news app. They removed the like dislike etc bar at the bottom with the "next story" bar. It's a minor inconvenience and a petty complaint, but I preferred liking and saving stories without the additional button presses that are required now.

mrkgoo

Two factor authentication is turned on with this update.
What do you mean? Wasn't 2fa already
Available?

I thought the update killed some of my music videos, but I then realised they just changed how they honoured the skip to shuffle flag. On my videos it is checked and prevents them from playing globally shuffling, but I could still go to that album to play with shuffle on.

Now it prevents them from playING at all when shuffle is on.

j-wood

So I still have the bug after updating to 10.2 where apple music will not save how I arrange songs in a playlist. This means if I don't ADD songs in the order I want them to play, i'm out of luck. What the fuck?

I go to edit on a playlist, and I can drag songs around and re arrange. But as soon as I click done, it just reverts back to the order before I edited anything. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there some way I should reset my music app?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I just got an iPhone SE. Is there anyway to easily download from other stores I am dying to get the Word Flow keyboard but it is not available in the UK store :(

mrkgoo

I just got an iPhone SE. Is there anyway to easily download from other stores I am dying to get the Word Flow keyboard but it is not available in the UK store :(

You need to make an account for another store. An account that has an address from that region. It's doable, but whether you want to operate like that is another question. It means you'll need to log in to that account in the App Store to update it, plus also manage a second AppleID.

Symphonia

Banned
You need to make an account for another store. An account that has an address from that region. It's doable, but whether you want to operate like that is another question. It means you'll need to log in to that account in the App Store to update it, plus also manage a second AppleID.
It doesn't always work either. I tried to download HBO Now using an account I set up with an American address but still detected I was outside the region. The whole process is a bit hit and miss.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood

Thanks I have done that and it seems to have worked a treat. I switched back to my UK store profile thing and my phone just crashed to a black screen with a spinning circle stuck in the screen lol. Hopefully it will all work in harmony once it comes back to life!

jts

...hate me...
It doesn't always work either. I tried to download HBO Now using an account I set up with an American address but still detected I was outside the region. The whole process is a bit hit and miss.
You mean you couldn't download the app or the service didn't work outside the US?

Regardless of having installed an app or not, services can themselves be region locked or restricted, which is another issue entirely.

Symphonia

Banned
You mean you couldn't download the app or the service didn't work outside the US?

Regardless of having installed an app or not, services can themselves be region locked or restricted, which is another issue entirely.
Wouldn't let me even connect to the US store.

Omni

I just looked and contact photos are still showing up for me in Messages.

Mine have disappeared and the option to turn them off and on is gone. Still using an iPhone 5, so maybe they changed something.

Either way it's stupid. Now it's just a big ugly bold name that doesn't even match everything else.

Airpods are now available to purchase from Apple

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods

My question has always been are these literally the same sound as EarPods except wireless? I ask because I want headphones with the W1, I already own the previous model Solo2 and don't want PowerBeats. So it comes down to either AirPods or BeatsX for me. Obviously no idea when BeatsX are going to be available.

Edit: I ordered a pair. I'll demo them at home and if I don't like them I'll return them. My delivery date is after Christmas though which means it slipped about a week in the past 5 minutes.

Voidance

My question has always been are these literally the same sound as EarPods except wireless? I ask because I want headphones with the W1, I already own the previous model Solo2 and don't want PowerBeats. So it comes down to either AirPods or BeatsX for me. Obviously no idea when BeatsX are going to be available.

Edit: I ordered a pair. I'll demo them at home and if I don't like them I'll return them. My delivery date is after Christmas though which means it slipped about a week in the past 5 minutes.
My order is set to be delivered on the 21st, so I feel lucky now.

FerranMG

Fucking hell, iOS 10.2 broke support for Fleksy, the best keyboard on iOS.
And sadly Fleksy is not supported anymore by their devs.

I really, really loved Fleksy. Super intuitive and functional, and it also supported a lot of languages.
Does anybody know of a good keyboard that supports Catalan, Spanish and English?
I've just downloaded Swiftkey, will try it later.
GBoard has Catalan support "coming soon".
Any other alternatives out there?

My order is set to be delivered on the 21st, so I feel lucky now.

I assume that the orders set for delivery on the 29th will arrive a few days early like Apple always seems to do, but still not in time for Christmas. To tell you how fast they were selling (or how little supply Apple is going to have), when I started my order it was set to deliver the 21st, in the 10 seconds it took to checkout via Apple Pay it slipped to the 29th.

Also I said earlier that we'll have no idea when the Beats X are available, Apple has updated their website to say "coming February".

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So the new TV app sounds cool in practice but it won't let me connect all my tv apps. It keeps giving me an error saying that it's unable to connect and I should check my internet connection. Clearly my internet is working as I am posting on my iPad. Anyone else have this issue? I tried restarting the iPad but same thing.

FerranMG

Fucking hell, iOS 10.2 broke support for Fleksy, the best keyboard on iOS.
And sadly Fleksy is not supported anymore by their devs.

I really, really loved Fleksy. Super intuitive and functional, and it also supported a lot of languages.
Does anybody know of a good keyboard that supports Catalan, Spanish and English?
I've just downloaded Swiftkey, will try it later.
GBoard has Catalan support "coming soon".
Any other alternatives out there?

Aaaand Swiftkey stopped working with iOS 10.2.
Damn does the stock iOS keyboard suck. :(

Link

The Autumn Wind
Looks like 10.2 fixed the input lag issue my 6 was experiencing. For example, when my alarm would go off while I was using the phone and I pulled down the notification, it always took a couple of seconds before hitting snooze or stop would register. Now it's instant.

FerranMG

Swiftykey will be pushing out an update as soon as possible, they're always been on the ball with these things.

I hope they do. They're my only alternative at this moment.

Looks like 10.2 fixed the input lag issue my 6 was experiencing. For example, when my alarm would go off while I was using the phone and I pulled down the notification, it always took a couple of seconds before hitting snooze or stop would register. Now it's instant.

I noticed that too.
The notifications where not interactive until the animations had finished. I can't tell if they made the animations faster, or they made notifications interactive while animated. But it's a noticeable improvement.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So the new TV app sounds cool in practice but it won't let me connect all my tv apps. It keeps giving me an error saying that it's unable to connect and I should check my internet connection. Clearly my internet is working as I am posting on my iPad. Anyone else have this issue? I tried restarting the iPad but same thing.

It's working now. Not sure what changed.

The TV app is a mess. Needs some UI cleanup.

Why are my purchased movies listed vertically when viewing my entire collection but horizontally when viewing downloaded movies?

The Library section of the TV app should never have to "load" when the user opens it. It should open the previously cached instance of it and update after.

Just sloppy.

I'm in the UK and don't have the TV app, but my Videos app had disappeared. I use it to keep a few reference videos around.

Good news is that it can be downloaded (probably reactivated is the correct word) from the App Store, link below, and the videos I had were still there. Phew!

Videos by Apple
https://appsto.re/gb/-Vzdcb.i

Aaaand Swiftkey stopped working with iOS 10.2.
Damn does the stock iOS keyboard suck. :(
Swiftykey will be pushing out an update as soon as possible, they're always been on the ball with these things.
Swiftkey got an update yesterday, 14th December.

In other news, TouchPal keyboard is still working. Slash keyboard too. Neither support Catalan.

Red

Anyone have this issue where iMessage elements aren't dismissed when changing apps through the switcher? Phone must be restarted to dismiss the text entry panel. Happened several times now. 7 plus.

FQ3sw6q.jpg

UoQaV1l.jpg

Anyone have this issue where iMessage elements aren't dismissed when changing apps through the switcher? Phone must be restarted to dismiss the text entry panel. Happened several times now. 7 plus.

Happened to me once before, hasn't since 10.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom