• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

Anyone running iOS10 on a iPhone 5? Is it ok?

I do. I think it's great! I had one issue regarding performance and that was about map data loading in slowly when using maps or find my friends. It seems that has been rectified with the latest update though.

kIdMuScLe

I hate that my 6s + shutdown unexpectedly! Then when I recharge and boots back up I'll have a battery reading anywhere from 20% to 35%. Shit is annoying

okay I'm finally giving in to the ios 10, previously I used 9.3.5 and somehow Apple always force me to update to 10 even though I'm really sure I never touch or miss click the software update button it's so annoying. hopefully my phone (iPhone 5) could survive and didn't get crippled from ios 10.

FerranMG

Is only on the 6s not on the + size. They know is a issue but they refuse to fix it

I had the same issue (6s+).
Went to an Apple Store and they run the standard diagnosis test on my device.
They told me the battery test didn't work (not that it failed. It didn't even start). They said it wasn't normal, so they provided a replacement phone.

Guess Who

Banned
I think it depends on whether your phone is locked or unlocked when the call comes in, but I've never done testing

Yup, it only appears when you get a call while unlocked. If you get a call while the phone is locked, you can just use the sleep/wake button to decline it. If you get a call while the call is unlocked, you probably want to go back to what you were doing and not put the phone to sleep, so there's a decline button.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there any app that can upload iTunes music direct from the iPad? My wife doesn't use iTunes and has bought some songs from iTunes but wants them on her android phone. Am I forced to use a computer?

LordOfChaos

Has anyone else found autocorrect went downhill since they added deep machine learning to the keyboard?

It seems to miss the most obvious predictions in favour of obscure ones. Like for example, not one that specifically happened but this sort of thing, if I typed 'if', my finger was between f and d typing fast, and instead of the obvious common prediction including where my fingers were, it would go for IDK instead.

And then to add to the annoyance, if I backspace back and try again, it tries to capitalize the next thing I try to write.

mrkgoo

Has anyone else found autocorrect went downhill since they added deep machine learning to the keyboard?

It seems to miss the most obvious predictions in favour of obscure ones. Like for example, not one that specifically happened but this sort of thing, if I typed 'if', my finger was between f and d typing fast, and instead of the obvious common prediction including where my fingers were, it would go for IDK instead.

And then to add to the annoyance, if I backspace back and try again, it tries to capitalize the next thing I try to write.

Yeah, I have a feeling it has gotten a little less productive for me.

Croc

Banned
this isn't necessarily iOS10 related but wondering if anyone could help me out here. I have an iPhone 6+ and for the last few days Snapchat keeps crashing my phone and causing it to reset. It always happens the exact same way. It crashes when I move to the screen to the left of the camera screen where you see what snaps you've sent/received. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does none of the top status bar information loads and that's how I know my phone is about to reset.

I've googled around and didn't see anything about this specific issue.

this isn't necessarily iOS10 related but wondering if anyone could help me out here. I have an iPhone 6+ and for the last few days Snapchat keeps crashing my phone and causing it to reset. It always happens the exact same way. It crashes when I move to the screen to the left of the camera screen where you see what snaps you've sent/received. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does none of the top status bar information loads and that's how I know my phone is about to reset.

I've googled around and didn't see anything about this specific issue.

I gotta start keeping a tally, but I swear Snapchat makes more phones crash/die than any other app. I don't know what's going on

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Swing down to bring up search on my iPad has stopped bringing up the keyboard automatically unless I tap in the search bar. Really irritating

I have been using the News app quite frequently since it launched and relied on the Widget to keep me up to date. To my knowledge, the widget on iOS 9 matched the content you favoured e.g. I would get articles relating to Politics, or Breaking News.

For iOS10, it seems to match it to the 'Top Stories' and half of the column for 'Trending', which to be frank, relates to things of no interest to me (i.e. Kardashian gossip, Buzzfeed click-bait articles etc).

This problem only relates to the widget; the app itself is fine when you open it.

Ambitious

More and more frequently, my iPad keeps getting stuck in one screen orientation. In some cases, simply leaving the current app fixes this. In other cases, I have to put it to sleep and turn the screen on again. And occasionally - like right now - the only way to fix it is to restart the device.
(No, the orientation lock isn't on.)

More and more frequently, my iPad keeps getting stuck in one screen orientation. In some cases, simply leaving the current app fixes this. In other cases, I have to put it to sleep and turn the screen on again. And occasionally - like right now - the only way to fix it is to restart the device.
(No, the orientation lock isn't on.)

I've noticed this happening with my Air 2. When I want to watch something in Plex it seems like pretty frequently it's stuck in portrait when I try and switch to landscape. It's frustrating as hell.

Does anyone use the Google Calendar app? Does this app not update in the background or something? I have background refresh on and when I put in a new calendar entry into the web version of Google Calendar, the app doesn't notify me of the event... I have to manually open the app to refresh the content.

jts

...hate me...
Happy New Year everyone!

I love AirPlay. Setting a live video stream to AirPlay, then background it and do something else on the phone meanwhile is absolutely awesome.

There's a problem though... embedded video (and audio) around the web and applications will break the currently AirPlayed video. Even Instagram does it. That's a problem that sort of "ruins" this awesome feature. I guess it just hasn't been put enough thought into by Apple yet, since embedded content and autoplay have been on the rise in recent years.

So, I wish we could just temporarily lock content (or apps) to be AirPlayed, and anything else just plays locally on the phone.

Just putting it out there, since I'm pretty sure there's no actual solution for this right now.

edit: on second thought, maybe this fits better in the Apple TV thread.

Eklesp

Happy New Year everyone!

I love AirPlay. Setting a live video stream to AirPlay, then background it and do something else on the phone meanwhile is absolutely awesome.

There's a problem though... embedded video (and audio) around the web and applications will break the currently AirPlayed video. Even Instagram does it. That's a problem that sort of "ruins" this awesome feature. I guess it just hasn't been put enough thought into by Apple yet, since embedded content and autoplay have been on the rise in recent years.

So, I wish we could just temporarily lock content (or apps) to be AirPlayed, and anything else just plays locally on the phone.

Just putting it out there, since I'm pretty sure there's no actual solution for this right now.

edit: on second thought, maybe this fits better in the Apple TV thread.

Apple could make Airplay app specific instead of system wide. I am not sure how many people love going into any app with audio or video and having it play through airplay. This is annoying and I run into this al the time. Usually playing music over airplay then looking through Instagram or other media.

Moreche

When I play my purchased music on my Apple TV4 I have the option to view lyrics but not on my iPhone 7 Plus but not even my wife's iPhone 6 or iPad Air displays lyrics either.
I have read that syncing my device to iTunes fixes this but we are an iOS only household.
Is this a bug other iOS 10 users have experienced?

When I play my purchased music on my Apple TV4 I have the option to view lyrics but not on my iPhone 7 Plus but not even my wife's iPhone 6 or iPad Air displays lyrics either.
I have read that syncing my device to iTunes fixes this but we are an iOS only household.
Is this a bug other iOS 10 users have experienced?

On your iOS devices are the songs downloaded or are you streaming from iTunes servers?

My only experience with music lyrics is with Apple Music, are you a subscriber at all?

Moreche

On your iOS devices are the songs downloaded or are you streaming from iTunes servers?

My only experience with music lyrics is with Apple Music, are you a subscriber at all?
I'm not an Apple Music subscriber and I've tried the songs downloaded and also streaming but it doesn't work.
Strange that they show as an option on my ATV4 but not my iPhone 7 Plus. But they're not showing on my wife's 6 or Air 2 either.

Anyone have this issue where your volume decreases by itself?

I've noticed it happens when I leave my phone somewhere while I'm moving, whether in my pocket while walking or leaving it on the treadmill while I'm running. When I'm holding it, nothing happens. Weird as hell.

ZeroX03

Banned
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but a really small but hugely annoying Siri change was made with (I think) iOS 10.2. Now Siri prioritizes searching video content over music. So if I say 'play Catch Me If You Can', instead of playing the song in my music library of that name, it'll just say I don't own the DiCaprio movie of the same name. If I want to play Objection 2016? Sorry, no movie called Objection found from 2016. Really frustrating. Now I have to preface everything with 'the song' or 'from my music'. I don't know why they'd make this awful change, especially with AirPods now a thing. Even my Apple Watch keeps telling me it can't play movies when I ask. Anyone know if there's any fix to this? I hated when I had Apple Music I always had to say 'from my music' because it would always search Apple Music songs first. So frustrating.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but a really small but hugely annoying Siri change was made with (I think) iOS 10.2. Now Siri prioritizes searching video content over music. So if I say 'play Catch Me If You Can', instead of playing the song in my music library of that name, it'll just say I don't own the DiCaprio movie of the same name. If I want to play Objection 2016? Sorry, no movie called Objection found from 2016. Really frustrating. Now I have to preface everything with 'the song' or 'from my music'. I don't know why they'd make this awful change, especially with AirPods now a thing. Even my Apple Watch keeps telling me it can't play movies when I ask. Anyone know if there's any fix to this? I hated when I had Apple Music I always had to say 'from my music' because it would always search Apple Music songs first. So frustrating.

See, that's interesting. Because as of 10.2 when I do Spotlight searches for a movie or TV show to see if it's on any of my streaming services absolutely nothing comes up, I ONLY get music results. I'm thinking this is a consequence of the new TV app but I'm not sure

Edit: actually a restart of my phone fixed that one. Don't know what's going on with yours!

UFO

Banned
What alarm clock app does everyone use? I like the stock clock app but want one that shows a countdown of how how time is left until the alarm goes off.

ZeroX03

Banned
See, that's interesting. Because as of 10.2 when I do Spotlight searches for a movie or TV show to see if it's on any of my streaming services absolutely nothing comes up, I ONLY get music results. I'm thinking this is a consequence of the new TV app but I'm not sure

Edit: actually a restart of my phone fixed that one. Don't know what's going on with yours!

I think it's server side Siri stuff. No restart fix here :(

Garou

What alarm clock app does everyone use? I like the stock clock app but want one that shows a countdown of how how time is left until the alarm goes off.

Maybe use a timer? It shows the time left on the homescreen.

Eklesp

I like using the bedtime feature in iOS10. Slowly
awoken from my gentle slumber

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I like the News app and I love setting different sources to show notifications, but I don't get why some sources can't do notifications. Like WTF can't I set ArsTechnica to have notifications?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You can setup notifications from specific sources? How? :eek:
Favorites > Tap the bell in the corner.

Stupid thing is it only shows a selection of your favorites in the list of optional notifiers. Ars is my first top corner favorite and it's not even in the list. Fucking sucks. There's no reason I, as a consumer, shouldn't be able to get notifications for that source when I can get notifications for stuff like NYT, Verge and even Vox.

Tap the bell...
LD3DZy0.png
And make your selections, then you get notifications like this:

I disable the sound since they come in frequently depending on your selections and the source, but they still appear on my lock screen when I do decide to grab my phone.

tmdorsey

Thought about it because it was mentioned in another thread, but the News app is pretty damn great.

I've been trying to get into using, but alot of main sources (TechnoBuffalo, Engadget) don't seem to update timely enough through the News app as opposed to Flipboard, so I keep going back to Flipboard.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Maybe I'm just missing it, but how do I get the News app to recognize my NYT subscription? My WaPo subscription was added automatically, but I can't figure it out for the Times.

Meier

I swear to god, autocorrect is so, so terrible now. They definitely did something in this version of the OS that fucked it up.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I swear to god, autocorrect is so, so terrible now. They definitely did something in this version of the OS that fucked it up.
Try changing the dictionary used under Keyboards?
The Apple dictionary used by default adds keywords from apps you have installed among normal words which can in some cases screw things up. E.g. Mario becomes MARIO when you have Super Mario Run installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom