• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I don't think I've ever seen so many app updates at the same time on iTunes, it is nice to have some consistency though, unless it matches the new style it gets chucked into a folder, lol.

Arnie

It runs worse, but it's tolerable. Honestly ios6 was already slow, this doesn't chance the experiwmce that much, but all the new stuff is great.

That's cool. I can handle iOS6's sluggishness, so I should be fine with this.

NOW ACTIVATE

Blackhead

Redarse
I finally got through the activation stage. I'm downloading my apps now and I keep getting this pop up: "vmd" ch4iv.myvzw.com, Not Trusted, Description: Server Gated Crypto. It's asking me whether to accept or decline. I don't know what this is.

? take a screenshot or picture

RC

Banned
It runs worse, but it's tolerable. Honestly ios6 was already slow, this doesn't chance the experiwmce that much, but all the new stuff is great.

Tolerably worse? I can accept that. ios6 didn't feel that sluggish to me.

bmdubya

Neo Member
Anyone who had problems activating earlier, are you still having problems? Or have you been able to activate? Been trying to activate for a while now with no luck.

Majine

Banned
Speaking of podcasts, what the fuck happened to Instacast? It looks like it got an iOS7 upgrade, but did they just remove the old one and ask their people to buy it all over again? I can't download my already purchased Instacast.

That's just evil.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Who here updated and lost their jailbreak? Debating on upgrading or waiting...

Anyone else been having issues with watching embedded YouTube clips? Lately, they have not been working for me in safari, but works in chrome.

Shearie

Anyone who had problems activating earlier, are you still having problems? Or have you been able to activate? Been trying to activate for a while now with no luck.

I couldn't update my Mini for a few hours but I was finally able to about an hour ago.

-Horizon-

I like it. Very Android-ey. Safari is great. Hope the iPad 5 is something to write home about. Would love to finally upgrade.

Yeah it stutters. But it seems to do that with every app that I've tried.

Alright, good to know, I just went ahead and turned off gestures.

LCfiner

Speaking of podcasts, what the fuck happened to Instacast? It looks like it got an iOS7 upgrade, but did they just remove the old one and ask their people to buy it all over again? I can't download my already purchased Instacast.

That's just evil.

this update (4) is a free update from the last instacast ver 3 - i updated it this morning.

but this version 3 was a new app a little while ago and the old one - instacast 1 or 2 - has no upgrade path. but that happened a long time ago. version 3 came out in dec 2012.

Weenerz

Banned
Been trying since 1:30, still no activation. Fucking lame that a wifi ipad needs to be activated. Just let me use my shit.

I have to use AppShopper to search for apps in the App Store. lol

Searching from within the App Store brings up the "Cannot Connect to App Store" every time. Their servers are getting boned!

Majine

Banned
this update (4) is a free update from the last instacast ver 3 - i updated it this morning.

but this version 3 was a new app a little while ago and the old one - instacast 1 or 2 - has no upgrade path. but that happened a long time ago. version 3 came out in dec 2012.

Why can't they just update the same app!?

Ein Bear

So I got an error message during my iOS 7 update, which wiped my phone, and now I can't restore it since the stupid thing can't connect to re-activate itself. Fucking Apple.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yes that will be fine. It's more a backup of your stuff than iOS files.
Thank you, sir. That's all I needed to know. I can wait for the activation; I know it will work eventually. It's more an inconvenience than anything.

NJDEN

I'm an avid Android fan and have even installed Cyanogenmod on my phone... But I have to say, iOS 7 looks amazing. I love the minimalism, flat UI, menu blur, and the icons.

Blackhead

Redarse

That's just evil.

Instacast 4 is a free update to Instacast 3 (which came out last year). How old was your version?! If you downloaded it from iTunes, it should still be on your computer to sync with the phone.

Edit: beat by LCfiner :)

Gregorn

How many tries does it usually take for it to be activated?

I kinda want to go to bed, but this is my alarm clock...

LCfiner

because they put a shitton of development effort into two major updates - including making the app universal with ipad - and asked people to pay (once) for these efforts.

if you don’t like it, you can still use the old app. But you can’t expect all devs to update apps year after year after year with no new upgrade income.

Heel

As far as The New iPad goes, I feel like there's a lot of slight hitching and delays that I hope can get ironed out in an update. Things like switching to the numerical keyboard, four finger swiping to the app switcher, zooming to folders etc. Overall it's fine to me, just not quite as snappy as before. Other than that:

-White keyboard sometimes, black keyboard sometimes. Why?

-There's now two buttons to switch to the numerical keyboard, but no .com button...? Am I missing something?

-Folders should blow up to more than 9 selectable apps on iPad when selected. So much wasted space, leading to swipe, swipe, swipe to get to apps.

-I don't really feel like the app switcher card system is much of an update when you can only see 3 icons at a time now. Are the previews really that useful? Maybe I'll get used to it, but I think I prefer seeing more icons at first glance.

Five

Banned
Lots of improvements in general, so I'm overall happy. The icons can be a bit gaudy, transitions are overly long at times, and there's minute lag when switching between apps or switching out when I hit the home button on my 4s. Gold 5s soon should fix that last one.

Download and install took a while (holding me hostage when I wanted to go to lunch), but it's nice now that it's here.

Majine

Banned
if you don’t like it, you can still use the old app. But you can’t expect all devs to update apps year after year after year with no new upgrade income.

Well, I can't. It's in my "bought" section, but tapping on it takes me nowhere, and I can't download it.

I kept getting "Software Update Unavailable. Try again later " after verifying update. Did a hard reset (home + power/sleep button), rebooted and tried again and it successfully updated. Not sure if it was coincidence but it worked for me after I read about it on a mac forum.

shuri

Banned
How do I turn off the option that lets my friends known where I am right now? I can see another one of my friend on the map too

Nothing is explained..

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
So I restored my phone to have a clean install, sure is fun waiting for the activation servers to get back online.

EDIT: Thank you based god.

ramyeon

As far as The New iPad goes, I feel like there's a lot of slight hitching and delays that I hope can get ironed out in an update. Things like switching to the numerical keyboard, four finger swiping to the app switcher, zooming to folders etc. Overall it's fine to me, just not quite as snappy as before. Other than that:

-White keyboard sometimes, black keyboard sometimes. Why?

-Two buttons to switch to the numerical keyboard, but no .com button...? Am I missing something?

-Folders should blow up to more than 9 selectable apps on iPad when selected. So much wasted space, leading to swipe, swipe, swipe to get to apps.

-I don't really feel like the app switcher card system is much of an update when you can only see 3 icons at a time now. Are the previews really that useful? Maybe I'll get used to it, but I think I prefer seeing more icons at first glance.
Black keyboard pops up on darker interfaces.

The dot com button is the period button, hold it to get a variety of options.

Despite seeing less icons in the app switcher it's quicker to force quit apps this way in my experience. And looks better.

ramyeon

This is my sole problem with the App Store ecosystem. It happened again with Reeder's update. People become so damn cheap after being pampered with free updates and think shelling out $5 again to pay for the dev team's hard work and effort is somehow being "cheated" and is "evil". I mean are you serious?

Do you use the app often? Then shell out the five bucks to help the dev team and guarantee further updates.

Dishwalla

Banned
Don't really like how it shows every movie/TV Show/Music Video I've purchased, instead of the ones that I have on the device. I only have five video files on the iPod, yet every damn thing shows up, makes it harder to find the files that are actually on the device.

ramyeon

Don't really like how it shows every movie/TV Show/Music Video I've purchased, instead of the ones that I have on the device. I only have five video files on the iPod, yet every damn thing shows up, makes it harder to find the files that are actually on the device.
You can disable this in the settings you know? Always could.

Mairu

This is my sole problem with the App Store ecosystem. It happened again with Reeder's update. People become so damn cheap after being pampered with free updates and think shelling out $5 again to pay for the dev team's hard work and effort is somehow being "cheated" and is "evil". I mean are you serious?

Do you use the app often? Then shell out the five bucks to help the dev team and guarantee further updates.

Kinda agree- I didn't hesitate to buy Reeder again considering it's my second most used app (first is Tweetbot, and I'd buy it again if they wanted me to!)

Top Bottom