• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

kharma45

Having played around on my mother's iPad I don't mind the look of iOS 7, looks a lot better in motion than in stills. She on the other hand detests it.

ramyeon

Kinda agree- I didn't hesitate to buy Reeder again considering it's my second most used app (first is Tweetbot, and I'd buy it again if they wanted me to!)
Me too, I've bought Reeder 4 times on different platforms and have no issues with that. I'd buy it again and I'd even donate if I could, I use it constantly every day. Best value.

mrkgoo

How come some apps use the old keyboard?

Do apps have to actually say to use the iOS 7 interface?

Overall, I'm thinking it looks GORGEOUS, but while the animations go a long way to making the device delightful to use, they are a slight hindrance to just being snappy.

The things I thought if care about, I don't and the things I thought wouldn't bother me do a little.

The parallax effect is less coll than I imagined.

This is my sole problem with the App Store ecosystem. It happened again with Reeder's update. People become so damn cheap after being pampered with free updates and think shelling out $5 again to pay for the dev team's hard work and effort is somehow being "cheated" and is "evil". I mean are you serious?

Do you use the app often? Then shell out the five bucks to help the dev team and guarantee further updates.

I bought Reeder on Mac just a few days or so before they made it free. Soured me on the whole thing, I refuse to buy the new one on iPad just to make it work again. I know devs deserve to be paid for their updates once in a while, but should the old apps stop working completely after a while too when you've already bought them? That's what happened to Reeder.

ramyeon

Eh.. I prefer the old sidebar to the nav bar at the bottom.
You'll probably get used to it, it's still jarring for me at first but that's only because I'm not used to it. I much prefer being able to slide to go back now since that gesture has become second nature to me on iOS7.
I bought Reeder on Mac just a few days or so before they made it free. Soured me on the whole thing, I refuse to buy the new one on iPad just to make it work again. I know devs deserve to be paid for their updates once in a while, but should the old apps stop working completely after a while too when you've already bought them? That's what happened to Reeder.
That's Google's fault not the Reeder dev team. And I don't see the issue when they made all of them free for a really long time and probably lost a lot of potential income.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My fantasy changelog for 7.01:

- 'Missed' pane in Notification Center, because it was useless and confusing, has been replaced with a page for widgets, such as Weather icons, quick posting to Twitter and Facebook, and any widget the user chooses to activate through participating apps.

bmdubya

Neo Member
I did this as well but can I restore from backup if it's a different version of iOS? Sorry if noob question

YES! I finally was able to activate. Right now my phone is restoring from an iOS6 backup. Looks like that yes, you can restore from a back up if it is a different iOS version.

Majine

Banned
This is my sole problem with the App Store ecosystem. It happened again with Reeder's update. People become so damn cheap after being pampered with free updates and think shelling out $5 again to pay for the dev team's hard work and effort is somehow being "cheated" and is "evil". I mean are you serious?

Yes, since they took away my initial purchase.

Mafro

- 'Missed' pane in Notification Center, because it was useless and confusing, has been replaced with a page for widgets, such as Weather icons, quick posting to Twitter and Facebook, and any widget the user chooses to activate through participating apps.
I really miss the Notification Center Facebook and Twitter widgets. Really annoying that they removed them without any good reason.

ramyeon

It's Google's fault they didn't update an existing app?
It's Google's fault for getting rid of Reader and causing the whole issue in the first place. I'm guessing the dev team is very small if not just one or two people and all their efforts were focused on getting Reeder 2 up and running.

Enco

:lol gotta agree with you

See absolutely ZERO need for it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
YES! I finally was able to activate. Right now my phone is restoring from an iOS6 backup. Looks like that yes, you can restore from a back up if it is a different iOS version.
Same! Just chose the "Restore from this backup" option.

Now, I wait.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Cellular app limit raised to 100MB.

Best news of the day? Best news of the day.

Heel

Black keyboard pops up on darker interfaces.

Weird, could've swore I got the black keyboard in the App Store where it's predominantly white.

The dot com button is the period button, hold it to get a variety of options.

U9bGRy9.png
Still think the keyboard switch button on the right should just be the .com button. No need for two of them.

Despite seeing less icons in the app switcher it's quicker to force quit apps this way in my experience. And looks better.

There's no real need to force quit apps in iOS, though. The switcher is for switching, and I don't think it's a step forward in that regard. Live preview panes have no real use other than "yep, that's the app alright" as far as I can tell. Maybe I'll get used to it, but so far all it's done is slow me down when I'm juggling a few apps. I'll take the functionality of more available icons any day.

ramyeon

I wish one of the control centre buttons was a home button. That would give my iPhone 4 some use.
Huh? You mean for people with a broken home button? There's already something like that in the Settings, it's been there for at least a few iterations of iOS now. General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch.

Sarye

Do you use the app often? Then shell out the five bucks to help the dev team and guarantee further updates.

Sure, but when certain apps actively remove features in an update that existed prior and puts it behind a paywall when I already paid $7 or whatever, I don't think I'm being cheap if I complain. (looking at you instacast) Regardless, Downcast to me as the superior product.

shuri

Banned
It's creepy as FUCK that I can track all my friends, and all my friends can track me.

how do i disable this shit

Deadstar

Yuck, this version is gross. I wish I could roll back. Everything looks terrible. I wish they would have kept everything looking the same but added the new features.

It's creepy as FUCK that I can track all my friends, and all my friends can track me.

how do i disable this shit

Wait.....what?

ramyeon

Weird, could've swore I got the black keyboard in the App Store where it's predominantly white.

U9bGRy9.png
Still think the keyboard switch button on the right should just be the .com button. No need for two of them.

There's no real need to force quit apps in iOS, though. The switcher is for switching, and I don't think it's a step forward in that regard. Live preview panes have no real use other than "yep, that's the app alright" as far as I can tell. Maybe I'll get used to it, but so far all it's done is slow me down when I'm juggling a few apps. I'll take the functionality of more available icons any day.
It seems to pop up when prompting for iTunes account passwords too, every other time in the App Store it's white.

The problem with the .com button on the uni at in Safari was that it was taking up too much space and made the space button way too small. In the earliest beta I remember always pressing it by accident when searching.

True, although I tend to switch apps anyway. I don't do much switching through that route since my home screen is generally much faster.
It is listed. It's just not downloadable.
Contact the App Store :)

shuri

Banned
the map thing!

It synched to facebook, exchange, i could track facebook peeps and where they were right now, my friend told me address of where I was right now.

I could see that some of my friend were still at work, that my cousin was at his house in Ottawa..

This is madness.

shuri

Banned
to do this:

click on MAPS

click on the little booklet icon

the names of the contacts you can track will be in bold.

Talon

the map thing!

It synched to facebook, exchange, i could track facebook peeps and where they were right now, my friend told me address of where I was right now.

I could see that some of my friend were still at work, that my cousin was at his house in Ottawa..

This is madness.

to do this:

click on MAPS

I think you're being a bit daft. They're bold because you have addresses associated with that contact.

ecurbj

the map thing!

This is madness.

What map thing?

EDIT: I see what your talking about! :O

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I kept getting "Software Update Unavailable. Try again later " after verifying update. Did a hard reset (home + power/sleep button), rebooted and tried again and it successfully updated. Not sure if it was coincidence but it worked for me after I read about it on a mac forum.
Sweet, this did the trick for me too! Activating through iTunes still didn't work but after a hard reset I managed to activate it on the phone itself. Thanks for posting this.

Restored the backup and now I'm reinstalling apps and tweaking the small things.

ramyeon

to do this:

click on MAPS

They're addresses you have on that contact sheet, not tracking. Unless all of my friends in "Brisbane, Australia" have currently converged on exactly the same spot.

KingKong

I dont know, I'm not feeling the new Calendar/Mail/Notes/Reminders apps. Too much 'design'. I can't even delete a note without opening it first?

Soulflarz

Banned
My 5 issues
1) random laggyness
2) my wallpapers are awk now and i cant change them without this scaling screwing w/ it
3) folders holding 2 less a page
4) awkward effect like the fade in/out on lock that just waste time
5)i think i have no ram
Opened safari and twitter had to do a full reboot (multiple times tried)
Ugh

Talon

They're addresses you have on that contact sheet, not tracking. Unless all of my friends in "Brisbane, Australia" have currently converged on exactly the same spot.
They've all converged for piping bowls of ramen.
I dont know, I'm not feeling the new Calendar/Mail/Notes/Reminders apps. Too much 'design'. I can't even delete a note without opening it first?
Swipe to the left. A "Delete" dialog will appear.

Top Bottom