• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Was getting some wicked lag whenever I tried to type anything on my 4S, but it went away after turning off the iCloud sync for Documents and Data.

I love the interface so far. Nice and clean.

Robbler

Banned
I love how the lock screen fades in now when you push the home button. Really smooth.

Also I've switched back to the official Twitter app on iPhone and iPad until Tapbots gets their shit together. They make great apps, but they're assholes if you look at their Twitter feeds.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Maybe this is a weird question but I really have no idea: does the parallax effect impact the battery in any way?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Was getting some wicked lag whenever I tried to type anything on my 4S, but it went away after turning off the iCloud sync for Documents and Data.

I love the interface so far. Nice and clean.

Yeah my Documents and Data is royally messed up. If I have it on something nails my CPU, hard. It makes the keyboard daemon process run wild.

Can't figure it out, and it's driving me nuts. Was hoping something in the beta did it and it would get ironed out but no such luck.

Who is good with reports and figuring something like this out? :p

breakfuss

wow, this looks really nice. wasn't expecting this much of a facelift. Also, there's an option to block calls, texts and facetime.

sangreal

Phoenix Wright HD:
-----
iOS7, iPhone 5c, and iPhone 5s Support (as of 2013/09/18)
We are currently working on support for this title to run properly on the updated iOS and devices. The game is playable but we cannot guarantee that the game will run properly at this time. Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.
-----

No, it's not playable Capcom and you had months of time to fix it during the beta wtf

Has anyone who uses an iPhone 4S, unlocked with a GPP sim, updated to iOS7 yet? I know it used to work in the beta, but stopped at beta 5 or so, I'd really like to go back to ios7, but I don't want to lose service.

I downloaded App updates on my iTunes, and synced my phone, but none of the apps that updated are updating on my iPhone.

Even if I go into the App Store, it is not telling me apps are available to update. But if I go into an app I know updated, like Downcast, I see it gives me the option to Update it.

What gives?

I have the same issue. This is really irksome.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yep, especially with the dynamic themes.
I'll turn it off on the phone then, it's neat but I barely notice it and will probably notice it even less in the future. Maybe it's cooler on the iPad but I'm not updating mine for now.

gamma

How do I turn off the option that lets my friends known where I am right now? I can see another one of my friend on the map too

Nothing is explained..

It's creepy as FUCK that I can track all my friends, and all my friends can track me.

how do i disable this shit

the map thing!

It synched to facebook, exchange, i could track facebook peeps and where they were right now, my friend told me address of where I was right now.

I could see that some of my friend were still at work, that my cousin was at his house in Ottawa..

This is madness.

to do this:

click on MAPS

click on the little booklet icon

the names of the contacts you can track will be in bold.

I think you're being a bit daft. They're bold because you have addresses associated with that contact.

Had to bring this up again. Dumbest thing I've read all day.

rofl

dorkimoe

I downloaded App updates on my iTunes, and synced my phone, but none of the apps that updated are updating on my iPhone.

Even if I go into the App Store, it is not telling me apps are available to update. But if I go into an app I know updated, like Downcast, I see it gives me the option to Update it.

What gives?
I'm guessing it's the store being hammered right now. It will fix itself.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I like the new look a lot more than I thought I would. The spacing on the new keyboard feels a lot better to me as well.

The jazz stations - If You Like...Miles Davis and Bop Radio - are excellent on Itunes Radio. The Electronica channels are kinda weak - I heard a song repeated twice within 6 or 7 songs on Downtempo. I guess some channels are still being tweaked.

Got my iPad updated. Now I am deciding to update my iPhone 4 or not. The thing is already slow as it is. I do plan to get a 5S soon so what the hell, here we go!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Look it up in the store. You should have an Update option. That's how I did it.
Not available yet.

My Purchased list has FaceBook listed as 6.4. Clicking on it opens the pane that says 6.5 is current. The button says Open, not Update. It's not available yet for me. No big deal. Did they change anything other than just the gradients? Are there any actual UI changes?

ramyeon

Not available yet.

My Purchased list has FaceBook listed as 6.4. Clicking on it opens the pane that says 6.5 is current. The button says Open, not Update. It's not available yet for me. No big deal. Did they change anything other than just the gradients? Are there any actual UI changes?
Yeah, there's a tab bar on the bottom instead of the pull out menu. You can use swipe to go back to the news feed etc.

If you delete it and redownload it then it should be the new version.

Got my iPad updated. Now I am deciding to update my iPhone 4 or not. The thing is already slow as it is. I do plan to get a 5S soon so what the hell, here we go!

It's running fine on my iphone4. All the fancy effects like parallax and animations are disabled for iphone4 so it's just a nicer color scheme.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Not sure how I feel about Safari, everything else is good though. I wish the search IPhone thing would still let you search Web and Wikipedia, maybe I'm just missing it.

Kabuto

Music app looks great but it's still missing instant queuing of songs. If it had it it would be pretty great but for now I'm sticking with Lagu.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, there's a tab bar on the bottom instead of the pull out menu. You can use swipe to go back to the news feed etc.

If you delete it and redownload it then it should be the new version.
Yeah. I know. But eh. Whatever. Maybe I will if I'm really that excited to see it. But, it's FaceBook. It's no Twitter. Meh FaceBook. It'll come in time.

Meier

I reaaaaalllllyyy don't want to have to do another restore. Is there any way to force itunes to update from the last beta of iOS 7 to the public release without having to do a restore? I'd also rather not reload an old backup pre iOS 7.

SuperPac

Can't get iOS 7 on my iPod 4 since its, ya know, ancient 3 year old technology. Typical Apple. Its really annoying how the mobile industry has trained everyone to upgrade every two years. I'm not falling for that crap.

It's worth saying here that the iPod touch 4 is not and was not ever made to be future proofed. It's got an aggregiously low amount of RAM and already doesn't run many modern games that well. You're kind of already lucky they supported it with updates as much as they did - other manufacturers would've left you even more in the dark than 3 years of support.

Robbler

Banned
Ok so iOS 7 fixed one really annoying thing on the iPhone 5 with iOS 6.

When you'd charge to a full charge with iOS 6 on the iPhone 5 (it did this on the 4 sometimes too) and used the phone for a minute or two, you'd notice that it'd quickly drop to 99% or 98%. If you rebooted the phone, it'd go back up to 100% and show normal battery usage.

After most of the day with iOS 7, this seems to have been fixed.

Interesting. What about battery life? Notice any hits to that?

It seems alright. Hard to say. I've been running Itunes Radio for a few hours now and it's still at 85%. But I've also been tooling around on it a lot more than usual, of course. Will need a few days to know for sure.

mrkgoo

Genius move to revisit and remarked old apps that have been redesigned. Developers will love this.

New safari is great, but it makes some sites look a bit old fashioned.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If you know you want a specific album, why not just go to the Albums view?

Crazy, I know.
I personally never really think in terms of 'Album name', I always just want to see my Artists list and go from there. Sure you can quick search it if you know what you want, but browsing by Artist took a step backward here.

Is there something wrong with the AppStore? It won't load/connect with the AppStore since Iv downloaded the update.

Everything else works it seems.

Bigfoot

Ahhhhh! My iTunes won't let me update. It says I need 11.0.5 and when I check I already have 11.0.5.5 installed. What to do?

breakfuss

Make sure youtube isnt running in the background also. That thing KILLS my battery like crazy.

Also, there's background refresh function. Not sure how much that affects things, but something to consider. I'm toggling all over the place trying to find a good medium.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Safari is still too cramped for me. I know the bottom pane and the address bar minimize when you scroll down, but that's only half the time. Just kill that unnecessary bottom pane and make the address bar fully minimize while scrolling and I might start to think about ditching Chrome. Unified address bar/search and improved tabs are a step in the right direction, though.

Top Bottom