• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

So far it seems okay on the i4, i'm actually surprised to see that there is still some transparency in the control center and notification center (doubly so), it's just really subtle and without the frosted glass effect

Looks nice

mrkgoo

I like iOS7, but the reliance on iTunes caused my old man to lose a number of photos because he hadn't synced in a while and he started the OS download directly for his phone while at work rather than at home, so his phone was stuck with the icon to connect to iTunes for hours. After that it wouldn't install the new OS without restoring to factoring settings, so after ALL of that was done, we restored from his last back up which was several months ago. Took 2 hours to do.

I fucking hate iTunes.

There are alternatives. iCloud for backup is one.

mrkgoo

Wow, check out the new compass calibration and levelometer! Snazzy!

So why do some apps still use the old keyboard? Do developers have to set a flag?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ha. Haha. Yeah. Ha.

So yeah, I deleted FaceBook to force it to update.

Nope. It downloaded 6.4.

Yeah. Great. Told you it wouldn't work... wait... wait...

Okay. So now I've deleted it again and have gone to the actual store page. It lists 6.5 whereas my Purchased list says 6.4.

So I click download and it downloads. Then it says "Update". So I click Update. It's currently at "Loading...".

Slowly.

Also, my dads phone finally just got the update notice. All day it's been erroring and 6.1.3-ing.

Wow, check out the new compass calibration and levelometer! Snazzy!

So why do some apps still use the old keyboard? Do developers have to set a flag?

Because those apps have not been updated for iOS 7. That is one indicator they are still not optimized for iOS 7 is their keyboard.

ezekial45

Banned
Many are seeing sluggishness on 4/4s but thats mostly because the os has graphical layers which were non existent in any iOS update. This update alone will cAuse a lot of slowdown on older than 5 devices . Even ipad 3 struggles

hmm. I might have to hold off on DL'ing this then.

Ha. Haha. Yeah. Ha.

So yeah, I deleted FaceBook to force it to update.

Nope. It downloaded 6.4.

Yeah. Great. Told you it wouldn't work... wait... wait...

Okay. So now I've deleted it again and have gone to the actual store page. It lists 6.5 whereas my Purchased list says 6.4.

So I click download and it downloads. Then it says "Update". So I click Update. It's currently at "Loading...".

Slowly.

Also, my dads phone finally just got the update notice. All day it's been erroring and 6.1.3-ing.

Try going to the App Store , type in facebook in search then dont click download in the result. Click the result and go into the app page. Click download ...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My 4S is handling iOS 7 like a champ. No problems at all. No slowdown that I notice. Animations are fluid enough. The only delay is when I press power and it takes a split second for the screen to light up whereas it was instant on 6. Other than that, I love it.

SuperPac

To echo some others, all my updates stalled and now they all just say "Waiting...".

Anyone found a solution for this yet?

Did you do a Restore?

If so, it installs apps one by one. Starting from your home screen all the way to the last page. If you have a folder on the front page, it might be loading the apps in that first.

ruxtpin

Banned
Little bit of a delay moving around on my 4S, but I love the aesthetics. Cannot wait to have this on my 5S (assuming I can get in line early enough to pick one up).

Vyer

Parallax effect looks nice on an iPad.

I hope more devs use it in apps.

Fuck it, I want more parallax. Parallax everywhere!!!!

U8MnU7c.jpg

Facebook looks kinda off with the new UI on iPad. I dunno, it doesn't really look as good as before. I feel like a lot of apps kind of had better (maybe more unique?) visual designs before going "iOS 7 optimized".

Also, the dock isn't as wallpaper friendly as the old one. A lot of wallpapers that used to look fine in iOS 6 look bad in iOS 7.

Updated my 4S to iOS 7. Looks good so far, no slowdowns as far as I can tell, except when changing wallpapers.

Is anyone else using Grazing as their browser? I've always used the full screen mode with no problems but now iOS 7 has the "swipe up from the bottom" to access Control Center. This is the same gesture used in Grazing to access the menu options when using full screen mode.

So now when I do the swipe up gesture, both of them come up, with Control Center seemingly taking preference over Grazing. I'm able to access Grazing's menu by swiping,but now I have to swipe from the bottom corners (seems to be the sweet spot to avoid Control Center) and it takes a couple tries.

It's a bit frustrating, hope this gets fixed somehow. And I know that you can turn on a translucent button in Grazing to use for the menu, but I really like the swiping. How's Chrome in iOS 7? I might give it a try now.

Updated my 4S to iOS 7. Looks good so far, no slowdowns as far as I can tell, except when changing wallpapers.

Is anyone else using Grazing as their browser? I've always used the full screen mode with no problems but now iOS 7 has the "swipe up from the bottom" to access Control Center. This is the same gesture used in Grazing to access the menu options when using full screen mode.

So now when I do the swipe up gesture, both of them come up, with Control Center seemingly taking preference over Grazing. I'm able to access Grazing's menu by swiping,but now I have to swipe from the bottom corners (seems to be the sweet spot to avoid Control Center) and it takes a couple tries.

It's a bit frustrating, hope this gets fixed somehow. And I know that you can turn on a translucent button in Grazing to use for the menu, but I really like the swiping. How's Chrome in iOS 7? I might give it a try now.

you can disable control center for certain apps. it's in the settings somewhere.

Aaron

What the fuck, Apple? Trying to update my mini, but can't download the update, and somehow it's filled my mini with 4 gigs of 'other' that I can't rid of in the process. I keep getting errors and keep losing more space. Also, itunes keeps fucking downloading apps I already cleared off my pad because I didn't want them. Even though I expressly told it not to. And if I try to restore from a backup, it just says ERROR with no explanation.

mrkgoo

Because those apps have not been updated for iOS 7. That is one indicator they are still not optimized for iOS 7 is their keyboard.
Interesting.

My app in question was updated last night so I guess ios7 optimisations still to come.

I would've thought the keyboard would simply replace everything through out. Like why keep the old keyboard around? Is it inherently different?

mrkgoo

What the fuck, Apple? Trying to update my mini, but can't download the update, and somehow it's filled my mini with 4 gigs of 'other' that I can't rid of in the process. I keep getting errors and keep losing more space.
Other also included orphaned update files and caches. If you do a restore from backup it normally clears some of it.

Air

Banned
I updated my 4s. I like the new os, but it can be a bit sluggish (especially if you have a lot of apps open. Otherwise I'm liking everything so far.

Roo

Well, it is downloading the update right now and it seems to be doing fine... so far
13 minutes to go. So excited :D

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It's super dumb that control center dims the content of the display... I mean you bring it up fine tune the brightness but it dims everything so you have to play a guessing game.

Spacebar

Not a fan of all the white. I feel like I should have a white iphone because it doesn't go well with the black. Hopefully they can add a dark theme or something.

I also hope some of the other apps catch up on the icon design. Right now everything looks off because the icons aren't even close to the same style.

Overall I like the speed and the added functionality. Is there a way to create your own dynamic wallpaper?

MBison

So the software update says I could download ios 7 just need to free up space. So I do and go back to update and it says I'm up to date at 6.1.4.

Wtf?

Yeah I guess I should be more descriptive than fine. I'm most likely acclimated to the sluggishness of iOS 6 on iPhone 4 so I haven't noticed any further speed decreases on iOS 7. The new features far outweigh the marginal loss of speed for me personally.

Kunan

I love everything except the home screen with its apps. Everything feels overly bright and garish there. The app updates are gorgeous though!

I love the new features, but hate the new icons. They look cheap, especially the safari one.
Yea I can't stand them, especially the green used for Phone/Messages/FaceTime and the lack of opacity on the folders.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It'd also be nice if you could customize the Control Center. I've already accidentally hit the brightness slider a couple of times.

bionic77

my iPad 2 battery is being drained on IOS 7.. anyone having the same problems?
Check the brightness and location services.

New OS seems to increase brightness more than it should and that and location devices can wreck your battery fast.

For me battery has been the same. But I am not getting emails this time of day either and that is the main thing that kills my battery.

Keyboard is much improved.

Top Bottom