• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
This new OS is pretty. I'd say it's a step up from its predecessors. I only wish simple customization was added, such as the changing of colors on my message inbox.

If anything irks me about Apple, it's that they take much longer than most other companies to adopt simple techniques and ideas, but when they do, they make it seem as if it only matters once they introduce it. It's a bit weird, considering how big their strides have been with most of its technologies (although I cannot say the last two years have been as impressive as what preceded).

feel

Looks beautiful. Won't bother putting this on my 4, will wait to check it out when I get my 5s, not only because it will run like crap on my 4, but also to make the new phone experience that much better.

How's itunes radio? Does it work as well as Pandora? And more importantly, is it US-only like Pandora without a vpn? :/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When an app hasn't been optimised, it uses the old keyboard. Why is that? The other UI elements are from ios7, but the key board is not.
You answered your own question in the bolded part
Actually I'm curious about this too. I mean is the old keyboard like a file the dev includes in their project at build? Or is it kept in the OS as a specific way of differentiating apps by making new ones call the new one? I mean it's weird. I'm not a developer so I have no idea but I would have thought the keyboard was just a simple system API call.

Just "not optimized" doesn't make any sense unless the Xcode project actually needs to compile the keyboard data into itself. Which makes no sense since it wouldn't allow for localization changes and additions. The keyboard has to be a system-wide API. So why would they keep the old one around? Unless, yes, it's because it looks different enough that the new one wouldn't match the old app's look.

I guess when an app is compiled for iOS 7 a flag is set that tells the OS that it's new enough for the new keyboard. I mean are there any actual changes to the keyboard itself? It seems to just be a skin. Just seems odd to keep the old one around in the OS.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
WOW. So in order to get the update to the 7 version of Instacast, I have to buy the new version. I bought this version from them but now it's dead or something? New company? Bullshit either way.

tipoo

Banned
On the Mini (and anything else with A5 I would guess), with the parallax wallpaper effect on some animations definitely drop below 30fps.

Jarmel

Banned
Is there a way of making the UI such as the keyboard or the top bar transparent? It's just there is so much white everywhere.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
WOW. So in order to get the update to the 7 version of Instacast, I have to buy the new version. I bought this version from them but now it's dead or something? New company? Bullshit either way.

Downcast is better anyway. I assume they aren't pulling the same shit.

Mully

iTunes Radio is pretty boss. No need to go through Pandora anymore. I'm listening to Chill Electronic Radio and I've never felt as relaxed as I do right now.

Lkr

Can anyone else not connect to apple servers? My iMessage and iCloud and FaceTime don't work for some reason since around 1:30pm est

Bit the bullet and updated from Beta 6 to GM this evening, so I could be finally running the genuine release, and everything went supersmooth....until I misread the dates on my backups and restored my phone to a pc backup i made 2 months ago. Stupid, stupid me. Thankfully, I had just run camera upload to my Dropbox a day or so ago, so not much was lost, just most of the apps I happened to have loaded as of this morning. ugh.

Seems like it drain my battery even faster than iOS 6.1.3.... And it crashed few times when I opened native apps like radio and setting.

I like iOS7, but the reliance on iTunes caused my old man to lose a number of photos because he hadn't synced in a while and he started the OS download directly for his phone while at work rather than at home, so his phone was stuck with the icon to connect to iTunes for hours. After that it wouldn't install the new OS without restoring to factoring settings, so after ALL of that was done, we restored from his last back up which was several months ago. Took 2 hours to do.

I fucking hate iTunes.

This sounds like a problem you/your father brought upon yourself/himself?

BTW, iTunes 11, on Mac at least, now uses all the CPU cores you can throw at it, so transcoding music and syncing should be faster than ever.

?

I said it was downloading. It is downloaded. It's over. What I posted first worked. You seem to think I'm having problems. I'm not. It's downloaded. It's completely done. It finished. There is no cause for alarm. You help is appreciated but unneeded.

Was the rudeness really necessary? Geez.

Can't wait to get home and try this. I'm on a 4s and an iPad 3, I'm hoping for the best. The battery life on my 4s is already terrible enough, it can't get much worse right?

Le-mo

It's on the first post.

It's under the Music app.

Oh, haha. I didn't know it was in there. I thought it was in Settings, the iTunes store or had to be downloaded in the App store. I'm getting the "Network Unavailable" message. I'm connected via Wi-Fi and tried it with my 4G and I'm still getting the same message.

mrkgoo

Actually I'm curious about this too. I mean is the old keyboard like a file the dev includes in their project at build? Or is it kept in the OS as a specific way of differentiating apps by making new ones call the new one? I mean it's weird. I'm not a developer so I have no idea but I would have thought the keyboard was just a simple system API call.

Just "not optimized" doesn't make any sense unless the Xcode project actually needs to compile the keyboard data into itself. Which makes no sense since it wouldn't allow for localization changes and additions. The keyboard has to be a system-wide API. So why would they keep the old one around? Unless, yes, it's because it looks different enough that the new one wouldn't match the old app's look.

I guess when an app is compiled for iOS 7 a flag is set that tells the OS that it's new enough for the new keyboard. I mean are there any actual changes to the keyboard itself? It seems to just be a skin. Just seems odd to keep the old one around in the OS.

Ah, you were wondering too.

As in my post above, it might not actually be an OS wide UI element, but rather a selectable API per app, presumably so you can use different keyboard setups (like the one with .com on it).

I've seen some apps with non-standard keyboards I'm pretty sure.

Uh... No I didn't. Why does the old keyboard even exist? Or is it burnt really part of the OS UI at all? Is it a separate element that is programmed into apps? If the latter then I assume it's a configurable part to allow for custom keyboards?

Ah, sweet, thanks.

The old keyboard exists because the app is not fully utilizing the ios 7 api

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/0...d-will-stick-around-ios-7-app-updates-arrive/

You probably wont see an app which has the newer flat UI and yet have the old keyboard

CLEEK

This sounds like a problem you/your father brought upon yourself/himself?

BTW, iTunes 11, on Mac at least, now uses all the CPU cores you can throw at it, so transcoding music and syncing should be faster than ever.

This post seems to be defending iTunes? Surely not.

I've had the same fucking songs on my phone for months, beacuse I'd rather teh repetition of them than the horror of having to use iTunes. Especially now a new iOS update is out and I'll have to update iTunes as well and play the quessing game where they've moved all the options around this time.

iTunes is without doubt the single worst piece of consumer software I've ever used.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Why when i select a photo for my wallpaper it super zooms in and i cannot set the entire photo as the wallpaper cause i cannot zoom out enough

iTunes 11.1 is taking FOREVER to download.

iOS 7 I like for the most part.

But I hate that we still can't delete useless apps like Newstand and Compass. This is so childish and insulting that they won't let people remove this crap.

I also don't really like the music selection scrolling. Just give me a simple list of Artist and Album names please, like before. It's much faster that way.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This post seems to be defending iTunes? Surely not.

I've had the same fucking songs on my phone for months, beacuse I'd rather teh repetition of them than the horror of having to use iTunes. Especially now a new iOS update is out and I'll have to update iTunes as well and play the quessing game where they've moved all the options around this time.

iTunes is without doubt the single worst piece of consumer software I've ever used.
Personally I don't think iTunes needs defending. It's always worked for me on OS X. Are you on Windows? Because the Windows one is notoriously terrible.

Is the App Store kind of fucked up right now? I purchased knights of pen and paper on my ipad. My 4s is still showing 2.99 and nothing is showing up in my purchased tab.

Why when i select a photo for my wallpaper it super zooms in and i cannot set the entire photo as the wallpaper cause i cannot zoom out enough

This made me rage so hard, why would they do this? It forces you to zoom in so close to the picture that it makes it look like shit. whyyyyyyyyy

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This made me rage so hard, why would they do this? It forces you to zoom in so close to the picture that it makes it look like shit. whyyyyyyyyy
It's for the 3D effect. I don't know why it's so far zoomed in though. It shouldn't need that much padding.

You can turn the effect off if you want.

mrkgoo

The old keyboard exists because the app is not fully utilizing the ios 7 api

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/0...d-will-stick-around-ios-7-app-updates-arrive/

You probably wont see an app which has the newer flat UI and yet have the old keyboard

As Real Abed mentioned, we were under the impression that the keyboard was just a 'skin' and not an API-related thing, but rather part of the OS, such that anywhere there is a keyboard, it would the new one. Obviously that is not the case.

It looks disjointed in some apps that have new UI elements from the OS, like share panes, but ten the old keyboard.

Ryck

Updated both my iphone and iPad without any issues. My wife's iphone though is stuck on the black screen with the apple. Her iTunes indicated that it could not be updated due to an unknown error and now it's just frozen on that screen.

Any ideas guys?

I haven't installed it on my iPhone 5 yet cause I need it to be jailbroken to have access to APN settings, but I was trying it out on a co-workers iPhone 5 and for the most part its pretty nice. the new animations for doing common things like closing/opening apps is a welcome improvement. Control Center is definitely a long over-due feature. I like the use of transparency, however I am still not a big fan of the flat pastel icons and some of the stock apps have to much white space, also unless I'm mistaken it appears that they removed the ability to swipe right on something like an email or text to pop up the delete button. I don't understand why they would take that out, I use that all the time in iOS 6

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Downcast is better anyway. I assume they aren't pulling the same shit.
Yeah, buying Downcast after being a longtime Instacast user just because of this shit.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Okay, so can you stream iTunes purchases through the cloud? If so, how do I activate this?

Oh, and it is it me, or is Real Racing 3 chugging on my 4S now?

LCfiner

Yeah, buying Downcast after being a longtime Instacast user just because of this shit.

you know that instacast made the upgrade to version 3 a paid one last December. the update 4 is free. you must have version 2.

instacast is charging once for an update after 3 revisions.

matt360

In the messages app, how do you delete an entire conversation instead of deleting individual messages? I don't want to remove that person from the list of people in the app, I'd just like to clear the conversation.

Also, did they remove the ability to delete individual songs in the music app?

Top Bottom