• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

jediyoshi

I think I'm liking radio so far, ads are pretty minimal

3rd party app updates so far have been nice. Liking the reducing of the bottom nav bars heights

Partition

Banned
These icons are literally the worst part of iOS7 though

GIR6ksT.jpg

I also hate how the tab icon in Safari no longer displays the numbers of tabs you have open

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I just noticed that the new version of iCloud lets you sync your mobile Safari bookmarks to desktop Chrome and Firefox. Bookmark syncing to Chrome was most of the reason I wanted to use Chrome on iOS. That, and tab switching was better (though I think iOS7 Safari is better in this regard?)

How do you do this?

RC

Banned
It took all fucking day but I finally got all my apps and music to sync properly. This was the most frustrating iOS update I've ever been through.

Number45

Are there any reviews of iTunes Radio around? UK here, so we're not getting it yet, but I'd like to see what it's like. Holding off from Spotify (Google Music is out of the running) until I know more about it.

louis89

Why doesn't the parallax wallpaper effect thing work for me? I don't have reduce motion ena led in the settings. Does it not work with the standard Apple wllpapers or something?

Ninja Dom

I'm a bit confused.

In Settings > iTunes & App Store, okay so I've got App downloads set to off because I don't wanna have apps I get on my iPhone automatically download to my iPad.

And I've got Updates set to on. So apps can update themselves.

Thing is I woke up and had 7 App Updates to do. A number 7 badge on the App Store icon. That means the updates weren't done automatically. But then the badge count started going down.

Is there a set schedule on when apps are automatically updated? How do you tell if an app updated itself?

I've only spent a couple of hours with it so far, but I'm far from impressed.

As others have pointed out (since the initial beta), it's woefully inconsistent in places, is harder to use at times (this new keyboard doesn't have enough contrast and it's STILL ALL CAPS!!!), and all too often just smacks of change for change's sake with little regard of actually improving anything.

It honestly feels rushed.

ramyeon

I'm a bit confused.

In Settings > iTunes & App Store, okay so I've got App downloads set to off because I don't wanna have apps I get on my iPhone automatically download to my iPad.

And I've got Updates set to on. So apps can update themselves.

Thing is I woke up and had 7 App Updates to do. A number 7 badge on the App Store icon. That means the updates weren't done automatically. But then the badge count started going down.

Is there a set schedule on when apps are automatically updated? How do you tell if an app updated itself?
There seems to be a schedule, yes. It doesn't happen right away anyway. If it updates itself you will get a notification in the Notification Center.

Nyx

Ugh it's ugly....

And damn @ that new feature video on the Apple site, what is that guy thinking?
I couldn't even finish the vid cause he talks so annoying...

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
Seems to run pretty well on my mini and iPod touch 5 so far. Only gripe I have is that I can't access the Control Center with the Griffon Survivor case on my iPod since you seem to have to swipe from off-screen, which is seemingly impossible. Also, can you no longer search on a page in the iPad version of Safari?

Edit: seems after trimming my fingernails back(which weren't very long) I can fairly reliably bring up the control Center.

waypoetic

Banned
This new awesome wallpaper feature... Where is it?

EDIT: Found it! It only works when you've got icons on your homescreen - and not a blank page like i do.

ugh :E

"iOS 7 is here, but it seems there are serious issues concerning audio. TRAKTOR DJ, along with many other audio apps, is experiencing performance and stability issues on iOS 7. Initial testing has also revealed general audio performance issues that can affect some Native Instruments hardware. If you use TRAKTOR DJ or audio apps, we recommend you don’t update just yet."

Angst

I tried checking for updates this morning (2 hours ago) on my iPad2 but was told that 6.3.w/e was the latest version. Did the iPad2 get screwed or is it a staggered update?

Toki767

I don't think this is an iOS 7 problem as much as it is an iTunes 11.1 problem, but I can no longer drag and drop music to my iPod. This seems pretty stupid.

venom2124

These icons are literally the worst part of iOS7 though

GIR6ksT.jpg

I also hate how the tab icon in Safari no longer displays the numbers of tabs you have open
What's killing me is how thick the white bar at the top of the screen is on both the iPhone and iPad. Is there any way to thin out or even get rid of the address bar when not in use?

NekoFever

The Messages app now uses nicknames when they're present on a contact, which is nice. Like I have my father set up with his actual name in the first name and last name fields, with 'Dad' in the nickname, and now Messages shows 'Dad' at the top of the screen when I'm in a conversation with him.

MBison

Are there more dynamic wallpapers than the ones with the bubbles, like 7 of them? I see ppl talking about stars and I don't see those unless those are what ppl are talking about.

Ninja Dom

Yeah my iPhone 5 is pretty much unusable right now, wifi drops every half a minute. Should I reset the phone?

Yeah, it's best to. Did you update via Software Update or iTunes?

If iTunes then restore in iTunes is always best. It wipes your phone and reinstalls iOS 7 again. iTunes won't have to redownload it.

If you did it by Software Update then Erase all Content and Settings on your phone.

BACK UP YOUR IMPORTANT DATA FIRST!

Certinty

Yeah, it's best to. Did you update via Software Update or iTunes?

If iTunes then restore in iTunes is always best. It wipes your phone and reinstalls iOS 7 again. iTunes won't have to redownload it.

If you did it by Software Update then Erase all Content and Settings on your phone.

BACK UP YOUR IMPORTANT DATA FIRST!
Thanks, I updated from software update, will backup then erase all content and settings. Much appreciated.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Are there more dynamic wallpapers than the ones with the bubbles, like 7 of them? I see ppl talking about stars and I don't see those unless those are what ppl are talking about.
Not yet. That's all there is. We're hoping Apple releases a way to make them yourself using Quartz Composer or Xcode or something.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You are better off going droid then, as sooner or later apps will need 7, on top of that any new iOS device you buy will have it installed.

I love it myself.
I love it too. And yet I totally understand the people who don't. They took a stand on going into a particular type of design, and those who like it will like it a lot, and those who hate it will hate it a lot. Better that than something bland and safe (IMO).

Just updated this morning.

How can I remove that crappy dark filter over my background image and why is it forced zoomed in? Both things make the image look a lot worse.

Any fix?

Top Bottom