• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

wow, needs 3.3GB free space to install! that'll be hard for 16GBers. Had to delete a few apps myself to make space.

Wish Apple would reserve some flash for that so it doesn't impact your own space.

only updating my ipad 3 so far, will hold off on updating my kids' ipad 2 until I hear whether it impacts the performance negatively

Ran into this problem with my parents' 8GB iPhone 4's, which have like what, 6GB usable space? Pretty awful. Should have had them just do it through iTunes.

Laranja

My experience with iOS7 on a 5th generation iPod touch hasn't been as positive as I was hoping it'd be.

Most actions feel a bit sluggish, the parallax effect on the homescreen is barely noticeable, and I've had both the notification center and the control center simply refuse to appear at least a couple of times. Can't really comment on the battery life yet, though.

The UI does look fresh, but I hate the way it clashes with the apps that haven't been (or won't be) updated. Also, I wonder how long it'll take until we all become bored of it. I've been using iOS non-stop since version 2 and, while it sure wasn't the most stylish UI ever, I never thought it looked bad nor was I really tired of its appearance. iOS7 feels like something that will get old a lot faster than the previous versions, I think.

Enco

Why would you ever use Siri to turn off wifi/bluetooth or toggle any other settings?

Seems infinitely slower than control centre.

Tobor

Thanks for the tip, anyway.

I think I could get used to using Calendar this way if it weren't for the pointless and incredibly slow scrolling animation to show events when flipping between individual days.

What device are you using? I just played around with it on my 5, and it doesn't seem laggy to me.

Einbroch

Banned
Anyone here using a corporate iPhone with iOS 7? Any issues? I haven't upgraded yet, and not having read the whole thread I'm not sure if there's been any issues with outlook mail, calendars or contacts.

My girlfriend updated, she works for Pepsi and it seems to be okay for her. Even the app works, and they warned her it may not.

How to improve battery life on iOS 7

1. Turn off background app refresh
y4LqEE5.jpg

2. Turn off equalizer in Sound settings
rsROC0K.jpg

3. Turn off automatic App updates
s1jJWAH.jpg

4. Turn off push for email. Tell email to fetch manually or automatically at 15 or 30 or 60 minute intervals
yXq1yxt.jpg

5. Turn on limit Ad tracking
OaYLaPl.jpg

6. Turn off location services for apps which you dont need to access location
yhEswKb.jpg

7. Turn off automatic brightness and lower it to acceptable levels
5JQxzWR.jpg

8. Turn off the Parralax affect
2jdQVNM.jpg

9. Turn off siri if you dont use it or dont dictate
ynvY4rt.jpg

10. Disable apps from using notifications if you don't need notifications from them
uOIoqCX.jpg

11. Turn off lte when not needed and when in a wifi environment
hJuTu65.jpg

12. Turn off Bluetooth
f0d6cCl.jpg

entremet

I lost the ability to multitask with Rdio, a music app similar to Spotify, with iOS7. I'm on a dinosaur 4, btw.

Music multitasking should be the most basic lol.

Vyer

You need to hold the home button to get Siri up though so it's not really completely hand free.

Not necessarily. In your car or with headphones you wouldn't need to touch the phone.

Not all functions would come into play for all situations, but I am glad to see that stuff cover more and more areas.

I'd imagine it would come into play in any future wearable tech as well.

What device are you using? I just played around with it on my 5, and it doesn't seem laggy to me.

I'm on a 5 as well. The problem shows when, say, you have appointments on two consecutive days. The first day is a meeting at 8AM, the second day is a hot date at 9PM.

If you're looking at the first meeting in day view and switch to the next day, there is a 1 second delay before the hourly view starts scrolling down to show the event at 9PM. So if I'm sitting on today's date and I want to flip through the next 3-4 days to check for events, I have to make sure I stop and wait on each day because there is a delay that makes it seem like there are no events until it starts scrolling.

Hope that makes sense.

Phreaker

Anyone here using a corporate iPhone with iOS 7? Any issues? I haven't upgraded yet, and not having read the whole thread I'm not sure if there's been any issues with outlook mail, calendars or contacts.

It all worked for me. Been running GM since it was available. Exchange, Calendar, Contacts all still the same.

Any recommendations for speeding up iOS 7 performance for the 4S? Some apps are really slow. And I have like 3 Gigs of free space on here. Maybe it just needs to settle in? lol

iFootball

I updated mine last night and no issues so far; all accounts are set, email is there, etc.... and I'm on an "old" iPhone 4

Fuchsdh

Ok guys, I upgraded to iOS 7 on my 4S yesterday. Everything's going fine... but Messages just freaked me out. I was texting my girlfriend, and I used a pet name I have for her... and when I next got a message from her, her full name as shown in my contacts had been replaced with the pet name. Hasn't changing in my actual contacts app as far as I can tell. What the hell.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to change the transition speeds for things like opening a folder or an app? They feel sluggish compared to ios 6 and I don't know if it just feels that way with the animations or if it is actually slower.

LCfiner

Is there a way to change the transition speeds for things like opening a folder or an app? They feel sluggish compared to ios 6 and I don't know if it just feels that way with the animations or if it is actually slower.

AFAIK, no way to change it. I hope they tweak animation speeds in an update - make them 50 or even 100% faster.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Uhm... guys?

Why is my call volume now REALLY, REALLY low, even at max?
You might have a bug where a program transitioned your audio to its settings but then never transitioned back to your phones settings. Try turning off the program that could have caused it, mute/unmute your phone or just do a reset. It happened to me a lot using beta7.

Robbler

Banned
So the battery life test. For some reason, on my 5 running iOS 6, just leaving the phone unplugged over night would see about 20-25% reduction in charge. I'd have the phone at 90+% and in the morning it'd be down to 75%.

I turned off background app refresh and the phone was at about 99% when I unplugged it last night to test. This morning it was only down to 95%. That's a big improvement.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
AFAIK, no way to change it. I hope they tweak animation speeds in an update - make them 50 or even 100% faster.
Thanks. I hope they do as well I like that there are transition animations, but not in exchange for slower transitions.

The fade in and out on sleep/wake is annoying as well and could be sped up.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Is there anyway to put an album on repeat without going into the track list for that album and selecting a different song? Mine only shows repeat artist and repeat song, which is pretty annoying.

Phreaker

Is there anyway to put an album on repeat without going into the track list for that album and selecting a different song? Mine only shows repeat artist and repeat song, which is pretty annoying.

I am not sure what you mean. I go to the Albums tab, select the album and the track list shows up. I pick any songs and it starts paying. On the player at the bottom left is a Repeat button, selecting it allows you to choose Repeat Song or Repeat Album.

Teppic

New safari is bad for two reasons.

When viewing all tabs it's really hard to make out which page is which.

The combined address and search bar. I can't search for a www. term on google for example.

If I turn off background App refresh can people still track me with find friends? can I still setup a geofence to remind me when I get home etc?

ramyeon

The combined address and search bar. I can't search for a www. term on google for example.
I can tell them apart fine.

I'm trying to think of a situation where you could need to search for a www. term and... Nope, nothing. If you did NEED to you could always leave out the 'dot' though....

Going by that logic every browser with a unibar is bad. And that's... Most browsers on all systems these days isn't it?

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I am not sure what you mean. I go to the Albums tab, select the album and the track list shows up. I pick any songs and it starts paying. On the player at the bottom left is a Repeat button, selecting it allows you to choose Repeat Song or Repeat Album.

Ah, I should mention that I'm searching by artist. It just seems weird that if you're sorting by artist you have to go through extra trouble to put an album on repeat when it's very likely that people have a lot of albums for particular artists.

Vyer

Haven't really had a problem with tabs. I actually like the whole layout.

Out of curiosity, why would you need the www?

Most browsers have the unified bar and it was overdue in Safari IMO.

Vyer

Checking to see if a site is legit. Search for what others think about a certain site. A shopping site for example.

hmm. I don't really see why that would change anything much, but I guess maybe there are more specific examples.

If anything, it would seem a little less efficient. Searching 'www.whateverstore.com' i would think would be a little too open ended in results as opposed to 'whateverstore reviews', for example.

Top Bottom