• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

RDreamer

Not sure where to ask this, but this might be a decent thread. I'm picking up the 5s tomorrow, and I'm not sure when the best time to go is. Is it going to be packed as shit right when they open? Should I wait a bit and go at like 11 or 12 when the first wave might be done? Does it matter?

The only time I've gone in on a launch day it actually wasn't so bad, but I can't for the life of me remember the time. I think it was in the afternoon, though.

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous. My iPad 3 is borderline unusable now. Every gesture and action is laggy. Maybe things will speed up after a while but it's really unfortunate that I can't revert back to iOS 6 for it.

Eh it's not that bad but it's definitely NOT as pleasant of an experience as before. It looks more shoddy than unusable to me. I'm really surprised that Apple released it like this. I mean an action that probably gets TONS of use like rotating the screen is laggy and looks BAD. I'm talking Android Gingerbread bad.

Enco

Not sure where to ask this, but this might be a decent thread. I'm picking up the 5s tomorrow, and I'm not sure when the best time to go is. Is it going to be packed as shit right when they open? Should I wait a bit and go at like 11 or 12 when the first wave might be done? Does it matter?

The only time I've gone in on a launch day it actually wasn't so bad, but I can't for the life of me remember the time. I think it was in the afternoon, though.
From what we've heard, either start lining up in the evening or order it online.

Yikes... Was considering upgrading to iOS 7 too. I don't get it, aren't the internals of the iPhone 5 and iPad 3 fairly similar?

Evidently the retina display hinders performance on iPad 3, which gets fixed with iPad 4. Aaaand evidently performance on the Mini and the iPad 2 is slightly smoother than on the 3 because of it. So yes it's a goddamn mess

Evidently the retina display hinders performance on iPad 3, which gets fixed with iPad 4. Aaaand evidently performance on the Mini and the iPad 2 is slightly smoother than on the 3 because of it. So yes it's a goddamn mess
Yep i think they found out after release the ipad 3 will be short lived so they fixed it with 4

SeanR1221

Weird. Wasn't experiencing anything after I updated my ipad 3 last night. Performance seemed exactly the same to me prior to the update, which has been snappy.

Granted I briefly use it but a few things come to mind immediately

- delay with the keyboard popping up
- delay pushing the numbers button on the keyboard
- sluggish screen rotation
- changing wallpapers takes a huuuuge amount of time.

I'm not saying its unusable. Just not a great experience.

Sean

Banned
Yep i think they found out after release the ipad 3 will be short lived so they fixed it with 4

I think it was more that they rushed out iPad 4 to compete with Microsoft's Surface tablet (obviously in hindsight there was no need) and to standardize the lightning connector.

Is the weather supposed to show up on the iPad (4, wifi model) in the Today view? I got the "please turn on location services for Weather" prompt, but no weather shows up.

Dunno if I need to reboot it or not.

Timbuktu

I think it was more that they rushed out iPad 4 to compete with Microsoft's Surface tablet (obviously in hindsight there was no need) and to standardize the lightning connector.

Thought they did it to line everything up for the holidays season.

RDreamer

iOS7's pretty nice, though there are a few things I don't like. For one they still don't have any fucking features on the lock screen, which sucks. I realize they want to keep things pretty, but I had a billion more features back when I was jailbreaking iOS4 and 5. Why the hell can't they catch up in this? Stubborn fucks. I want RSS feeds of shit on my lock screen and weather and shit. Other than that though the lock screen IS very pretty and I prefer it to iOS6's by a fucking mile. Also easier to type in the numbers.

I really really dislike that damned green color they use everywhere. That was one of my first thoughts when they showed videos. I'm getting more used to it, but I still don't like it. Some of their icons are kind of blah, too. So, the UI itself is nice looking, but the icons are pretty shitty overall, honestly.

I'd say my biggest critique though is that the design is so strong (not necessarily good strong, but just strong) that everything clashes with it. My first wallpaper looked like shit and a half. Most of the icons from 3rd parties clash right now. Even when they fix that, you still have icons from thousands upon thousands of designers trying to copy a distinctly strong style. It's not gonna work. For some reason the old OS seemed to work better in this regard. It accepted other styles pretty easily without looking like they were an eye sore.

From what we've heard, either start lining up in the evening or order it online.

Fuck that.

Also, sorry, forgot there was that 5s thread, so I'll move the conversation over there.

I updatd my phone last night and have been playing with it today. So far, I don't particularly like any changes, but I don't hate anything either. Except the bottom bar in Safari disappearing and the calendar.

The navigation bar vanishing is just damn annoying and there seems to be no way to bring it up easily. Like you can to scroll to the top or bottom or it otherwise just comes up when it thinks you're calling upon it. It's dumb as hell.

And all I used the calendar for was viewing things in month mode. Tap on a date and it had the multi-colored dots which told me what I had marked that day. I can't do that anymore. You have to drill down into the hourly view to see whats marked. Also annoying and not something I'll get used to. Maybe there are other calendar apps that link into ical events, I hope.

Overall, it's different and kind of refreshing, but I'm not wowed by it or feel like this is amazing.

lucius

I mostly like the new iOS on iPhone 5, I definitely think Calendar is worse since you can't just swipe fast from month to month and see events unless you select the day, which seems like a weird design and less useful.

Ledsen

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT

Sound is EXTREMELY low during calls, even at max volume. I've restarted the phone, checked all settings... still fucked up.

WHAT DID YOU DO APPLE

I'm on an iPhone 4 btw

I updatd my phone last night and have been playing with it today. So far, I don't particularly like any changes, but I don't hate anything either. Except the bottom bar in Safari disappearing and the calendar.

The navigation bar vanishing is just damn annoying and there seems to be no way to bring it up easily. Like you can to scroll to the top or bottom or it otherwise just comes up when it thinks you're calling upon it. It's dumb as hell.

And all I used the calendar for was viewing things in month mode. Tap on a date and it had the multi-colored dots which told me what I had marked that day. I can't do that anymore. You have to drill down into the hourly view to see whats marked. Also annoying and not something I'll get used to. Maybe there are other calendar apps that link into ical events, I hope.

Overall, it's different and kind of refreshing, but I'm not wowed by it or feel like this is amazing.

Yeah I hate Safari and Calendar too. I don't understand the ugly ass wireframe icons in Safari.

I'm with you.. pretty indifferent on iOS 7. I like that skeumorphism is gone but overall, the design seems to have gotten slightly worse. I really think iOS 7 is going to look dated soon. As much as people hated the previous iteration of iOS, it was a unique and, dare I say, timeless design. I think it'll be something people can look back on 10 years from now and still appreciate whereas iOS 7 will just look plain bad.

Minion101

Banned
Yeah I hate Safari and Calendar too. I don't understand the ugly ass wireframe icons in Safari.

I'm with you.. pretty indifferent on iOS 7. I like that skeumorphism is gone but overall, the design seems to have gotten slightly worse. I really think iOS 7 is going to look dated soon. As much as people hated the previous iteration of iOS, it was a unique and, dare I say, timeless design. I think it'll be something people can look back on 10 years from now and still appreciate whereas iOS 7 will just look plain bad.

Yeah I think I only like that it's something different. That will wear off.

Sound is EXTREMELY low during calls, even at max volume. I've restarted the phone, checked all settings... still fucked up.

WHAT DID YOU DO APPLE

I'm on an iPhone 4 btw

My mums iPhone 5 is like this, and was before the iOS 7 update.

Apparently its a fault with the hardware according to Google.

Might need to take it to an Apple store to get it fixed / changed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

WHAT DID YOU DO APPLE

I'm on an iPhone 4 btw

Relax. Stop flipping out. Did you try Reset Network Settings? Did you try doing a restore? Plugging in and removing headphones?

I use the Control Center more than I do the fast-app switching.

Would be nice if I could give the home button that honor instead of swiping for it.

Granted I briefly use it but a few things come to mind immediately

- delay with the keyboard popping up
- delay pushing the numbers button on the keyboard
- sluggish screen rotation
- changing wallpapers takes a huuuuge amount of time.

I'm not saying its unusable. Just not a great experience.

Gotcha. For me, keyboard popped up promptly, no delay in typing, rotation was fast and I didn't change wallpapers because I like my current one - but i'll play with it tonight.

Probably the only weird hitch was my bt keyboard wasn't letting me type but I think it was due to the keyboard itself.

KingKong

Is it just because I'm on a 4S, or does anyone else have problems swiping right after they unlock? Like it just ignores the swipe if I dont wait a second or so

Stuck

Ok, so I just went into the music app - when you got to the artists tab, it shows portraits of the artist instead of the album art.

Is it just pulling this from iTunes on the device itself or are those imbedded into the files as meta data at some point?

Does anyone know how to turn this on/off? I originally updated to iOS 7 and this is how (most) of my artists were displayed. I had to restore due to 12 gb of mysterious "other" storage and now it's only using selected album art instead of the artist photos.

I've also changed some album art on stuff I've purchased from the iTunes store. It shows properly in iTunes and used to on my iPhone in iOS 6, but now it will only show the original store art. Any one else get around this?

mrkgoo

they were linen backed before. not quite black

yeah, if it looks like shit and you can’t stand it, maybe change the wallpaper to something with colour. or just add some tint or change contrast for the current pic?
I found a bunch of stuff no longer works for me. My back grounds, my app layout in folders, etc.

I took the opportunity to make some layout changes of my own, and I actually appreciate the forced change. Mixes stuff up a bit.

It's funny, a bunch of stuff that I thought would bother me, don't, and stuff that I thought I'd like, in indifferent.

For example, I thought is hate the new folder system, as I had my own way of laying out a 4x4 grid of apps. In stead I found it refreshing to actually consider what were my favourite 9 apps in a category and relegate the rest to a second page.

And I thought I'd love the parallax effect, but it's actually kind of weird in person.

In other stuff, as mentioned above, background app refresh us just receiving data while back grounded, right? But if I turn it off for find my friends, it will still ping it when not running, right?

I'm guessing I will get much reduced battery life on ios7 in general, but while I'm trying all features for a while to gauge how bad it is, I am looking forward to seeing what I can do to improve it. I have a feeling frequent locations and background app refresh will be the ones to go.

Man, feels good to be on semi-cutting edge. Hasn't happened for a while. Ios7 feels like the latest and greatest even on the iPhone 5, which it must have been designed against. I've always been pretty far back for a while. Still on my ipad1 for tablets, and I upgraded you phone 5 from a 3G. Now I have an iPhone 5 and a fusion drive in my Mac - space age!

SeanR1221

Gotcha. For me, keyboard popped up promptly, no delay in typing, rotation was fast and I didn't change wallpapers because I like my current one - but i'll play with it tonight.

Probably the only weird hitch was my bt keyboard wasn't letting me type but I think it was due to the keyboard itself.

You know what's weird? After playing more, those issues went away. It's almost like it needed to be "warmed up". Maybe it's a memory thing?

mrkgoo

I agree to an extent. I think the current design is more fashionable for NOW, and it may be less so in future. However, I imagine this whole process of changing design serves as a big lesson for Apple looking forward. I assume they've put in hooks to make changing the theme, look, and feel of IOS to be much easier in future so they can change it with different trends.

mrkgoo

Regarding the navigation bars seeming random in their appearance/disappearance - not sure if it's a stabdard thing yet, but play around, it would seem if they appear if you 'flick' downwards. Like if you scroll down quickly determines you're reading, so they disappear. Likewise if you scroll upwards. But if you flick down quickly, both bars appear.

I think knowing this will go a long way towards getting used to it.

Edit : and when I say flick down I refer to the gesture - flicking the page itself down, thus moving it back to the top.

Ok guys, I upgraded to iOS 7 on my 4S yesterday. Everything's going fine... but Messages just freaked me out. I was texting my girlfriend, and I used a pet name I have for her... and when I next got a message from her, her full name as shown in my contacts had been replaced with the pet name. Hasn't changing in my actual contacts app as far as I can tell. What the hell.
Messages uses any nickname in her contact entry. No option to change other than removing nick from contact.

Mail let's you choose what it displays in Settings.

mrkgoo

Not sure about this, but it's something bothering me. I'm starting to see very slight green edges at the screen edge when it's white.

It's very subtle. I don't know if it is a kind of light bleed, or screen burn or if it's just an optical illusion created because of the white being next to the black. You know, it kind of looks like how you can see faint spots in the corners of a grid of contrasting squares.

It's distracting. It's only visible on white though, so obviously I haven't really noticed before much. It SEEMS to disappear or lessen if I only use one eye, but it's hard to tell.

Does anyone else get that?

Top Bottom