• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So white, I can't see anymore. Sometimes the keyboard is pale, sometimes it is dark. The white keys on pale grey background is doing something weird to my eyes too. Like one of those optical illusions with the dots I the corners

Sluggish on my iPad 3 too. Switching to numbers on the keyboard is horrible

So white, I can't see anymore. Sometimes the keyboard is pale, sometimes it is dark.

Sluggish on my iPad 3 too. Switching to numbers on the keyboard is horrible

Its pale when typing , its dark when you enter passwords.

For too white, turn contrasting on in accessibility settings

18ngCj8.jpg

Wow in the first 24 hours ios 7 adoption jumped to nearly 40 percent

Oh my god it's utterly fucked on iPad. It freezes when doing pretty much anything. You can't even move and scale photos for the home screen. Why did they release this shit on iPad!

Oh my god it's utterly fucked on iPad. It freezes when doing pretty much anything. You can't even move and scale photos for the home screen. Why did they release this shit on iPad!

which?

Seems fine on my mini... which is ipad 2. lower fps navigating than my iphone 5, but useable.

Try a restore?

Mr Swine

Banned
Ok, can someone please tell me how to search words/text on safari on iOS 7? There was a bar on iOS 6 that was very handy but nowhere to be seen in the new Safari :/

Tumo

Ok, can someone please tell me how to search words/text on safari on iOS 7? There was a bar on iOS 6 that was very handy but nowhere to be seen in the new Safari :/

It's all in the same bar, type your search query where you would type the url.

Edit: I think I misunderstood...

I asked this yesterday. Type your search terms in the address bar, then scroll down the results list until you find an "on this page" option.

I don't like it.

-Horizon-

So I was downloading an app from the App Store. It asked me for my password and the keyboard comes up.

White and green static fills up the bottom half (where the keyboard is) for 2-5 seconds. Ok.

Samk

Somehow I accidentally deleted the music icon from my homescreen. Does anyone know how I can get it back? Currently I'm double tapping the home button to get to my music.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's distracting. It's only visible on white though, so obviously I haven't really noticed before much. It SEEMS to disappear or lessen if I only use one eye, but it's hard to tell.

Does anyone else get that?
Does it goes away if you switch the phone on and off? Iphone 5 seems prone to a strange green glow around the screen if you keep in the pocket of the pants made of material that produces static electricity charge. It's a know problem, but the green glow goes away very quickly.

kaioshade

Just ran the update on my iPad 3. I can defiitely see some sluggishness in performance. It is not quite unusable, but it is definitely more than a slight annoyance. Hopefully some updates can tweak performance, or maybe it just settles in hopefully.

Luckily i dont use my iPad terribly much.

mrkgoo

Does it goes away if you switch the phone on and off? Iphone 5 seems prone to a strange green glow around the screen if you keep in the pocket of the pants made of material that produces static electricity charge. It's a know problem, but the green glow goes away very quickly.
Whaaaaa?

Ok gotta try this (and look into it more). Thanks.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wow, Pocket Casts is really awesome so far. The interface is just tremendous, autos downloading rules as well.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Gotcha. For me, keyboard popped up promptly, no delay in typing, rotation was fast and I didn't change wallpapers because I like my current one - but i'll play with it tonight.

Probably the only weird hitch was my bt keyboard wasn't letting me type but I think it was due to the keyboard itself.
Updated my 3 today and after messing with it a bit that's my experience too. I hope that some of the issues people are having are temporary or may be fixed with a restore, settings reset, etc. The wallpaper changing is indeed lagging and is probably a glitch since it seems to be the case in more models, hopefully it will be fixed in 7.0.1. I thought about waiting a bit before updating the iPad due to some of the reports but after a day with iOS 7 on my 4S I'm already craving some of the features and visuals, and I like keeping both devices in the same page as much as possible. Glad I took the plunge.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't get why the background to some apps (especially Messages) is white. Why didn't they continue the transparent layers theme? Would have looked much better to see a hint of the home screen behind the messages.

LCfiner

I’m glad they didn’t. When I’m in an app, I don’t want to be distracted by a blurry background image.

I understand the idea of the transparent stuff to imply your “location” in the OS when pulling up a temporary, modal UI element like control center or a folder. I wouldn’t want to see it everywhere.

edit. I know it exists in the ipad version of reminders and, honestly, I don’t like it there at all.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't get why the background to some apps (especially Messages) is white. Why didn't they continue the transparent layers theme? Would have looked much better to see a hint of the home screen behind the messages.
Yeah. They only used it for some apps as well as NewsStand. (iPad Reminders looks awesome with the wallpaper showing through the sidebar.) It should be used more, but not too much. I think even some third party apps are able to do it too. You don't want to make it too hard to read stuff on the screen though. Messages would have been perfect since the bubbles would keep it readable. It would just add a nice design to the backdrop.

I updatd my phone last night and have been playing with it today. So far, I don't particularly like any changes, but I don't hate anything either. Except the bottom bar in Safari disappearing and the calendar.

The navigation bar vanishing is just damn annoying and there seems to be no way to bring it up easily. Like you can to scroll to the top or bottom or it otherwise just comes up when it thinks you're calling upon it. It's dumb as hell.

And all I used the calendar for was viewing things in month mode. Tap on a date and it had the multi-colored dots which told me what I had marked that day. I can't do that anymore. You have to drill down into the hourly view to see whats marked. Also annoying and not something I'll get used to. Maybe there are other calendar apps that link into ical events, I hope.

Overall, it's different and kind of refreshing, but I'm not wowed by it or feel like this is amazing.

You explained my thoughts almost word for word.

Link

The Autumn Wind
They need to add the number back to the tabs icon in Safari. I don't like not knowing if I have other pages open without going into tabs view.

Vyer

I also don't like the new month calendar view.

I have to say though, the auto hiding bar in Safari has really grown on me and I quite like it now. Especially in mobile GAF. When moving up on a page it's not usually because I'm reading, so everything minimizing and going away when I'm reading down a thread 'feels' right. And the bar is very easy to access if needed. It all seems very fluid and natural.

skybaby

When apple goes flat, it goes all the way in huh. Safari is a grey mess now, don't like the colors on the quick settings thing either.
Swipe up to see the running apps and it comes very unwillingly chugging out from the right of the screen? it seems they didn't even consider the ipad for this update. Wallpaper settings crashes like crazy here too. ipad3 retina.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
the lock screen music view is really good. it works perfecty with Spotify too. Not sure where the background is coming from though, it doesnt match my home or lock screen wallpapers
I don't like how after about a minute of being paused, whatever you're playing disappears off the lock screen. You're kinda forced to pull up CC to start playing it again, which I like less because the controls are tinier.

When apple goes flat, it goes all the way in huh. Safari is a grey mess now, don't like the colors on the quick settings thing either.
Swipe up to see the running apps and it comes very unwillingly chugging out from the right of the screen? it seems they didn't even consider the ipad for this update. Wallpaper settings crashes like crazy here too. ipad3 retina.

Thanks for the info, good to know others are experiencing this messy update.

mattiewheels

mattiewheels said:
Wow, Pocket Casts is really awesome so far. The interface is just tremendous, auto downloading rules as well.
I just saw that this syncs with all other devices too automatically, including Android. Badass, might be the best package because of this.

so, is the only way to delete emails is to hit the edit button on top? Shit, I liked just swiping to the right and hitting the delete button. No sir, i dont like this change at all.

Noema

The navigation bar vanishing is just damn annoying and there seems to be no way to bring it up easily. Like you can to scroll to the top or bottom or it otherwise just comes up when it thinks you're calling upon it. It's dumb as hell.

Just touch the bottom of the screen to bring it back up

so, is the only way to delete emails is to hit the edit button on top? Shit, I liked just swiping to the right and hitting the delete button. No sir, i dont like this change at all.

They changed so now you have to swipe from right to left.

The reason they changed it is that swiping right will send you back to the previous screen. It's sort of an OS-wide universal gesture, at least in Apple's apps. In Safari for instance swiping right is the same as pressing the back button.

Top Bottom