• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

ramyeon

Yes, I can get it to the multitasking view. That said, when I get there none of my apps are showing screenshots of what they're doing. They're almost all just blank or the boot up flash screen. I can't open any apps either, tapping them does nothing. When I try to tap tje home screen it just takes me to the lock screen again.

Oh okay, missed the Camera app one. Should have read the whole article. I couldn't get that one to work.

I'm surprised so many people are having issues with iOS7 on the iPad 3. I'm seeing issues being reported everywhere. And, I mean, the iPad 3 isn't THAT old...

Apple really didn't think this update through, did they?

No they did. Apple knows ipad 3 will perform even worse than 2 for obvious reasons

Chuckl3s

I really love the icon in the text messages that lets you see a list of pictures/videos sent in that conversation...instead of searching for them.

Estocolmo

I'm surprised so many people are having issues with iOS7 on the iPad 3. I'm seeing issues being reported everywhere. And, I mean, the iPad 3 isn't THAT old...

Apple really didn't think this update through, did they?

My father had problems with his iPad 3 just moments after he installed iOs 7 on it. The problem was fixed when I changes the settings to remove the 3D effect from the wallpapers. That effect made the rotating function among other things become reallly glitchy.

solarus

Also terrible is that they removed the fucking + button to add a new reminder, now you have to scroll down to the bottom of your reminders and tap the empty line to add a new one, a pain in the ass if you have a long list like me and needlessly vague.

Also terrible is that they removed the fucking + button to add a new reminder, now you have to scroll down to the bottom of your reminders and tap the empty line to add a new one, a pain in the ass if you have a long list like me and needlessly vague.

I see it

hc6L176.jpg

Troidal

I'm on an iPhone4 but iOS7 runs fine for me. I think some apps run even better/faster compared to 6. I thought I'd hate the flat design from the screenshots before but it looks gorgeous. Lovin' it so far.

That's not a new reminder button, thats to make a new list. Completely different. Other sites have noted the change i mentioned.

You mean inside an individual list ? But how hard is it to scroll down in one flick unless you have 100s of reminders in one singular list instead of divided by subject or 100s in a subject none of which are completed. Its a single flick down, double click on empty line works much better

solarus

You mean inside an individual list ? But how hard is it to scroll down in one flick unless you have 100s of reminders in one singular list instead of divided by subject or 100s in a subject none of which are completed. Its a single flick down, double click on empty line works much better
Yes inside an individual list, i preferred the constant plus button, why not have both. Also downcasts new design seems to have some usability issues on ipad mini, the new volume slider does not respond most of the time when i try to adjust it because its too small now, sometimes i get lucky and manage to adjust it,

royalan

I have iTunes Match and I just started getting duplicate song titles in my music player on iPhone...what's up with that and how do I fix it?

How do you fix it? Cancel iTunes Match. The biggest ripoff in tech.

To really answer your question, I'm not sure. Back when I had iTunes Match, it would occasionally make copies of songs I uploaded to the cloud. It wouldn't always do this though. Could never figure out a solution, so I just got into the habit of manually deleting the duplicates.

Enco

To really answer your question, I'm not sure. Back when I had iTunes Match, it would occasionally make copies of songs I uploaded to the cloud. It wouldn't always do this though. Could never figure out a solution, so I just got into the habit of manually deleting the duplicates.
How is it a rip off?

I get all of my songs backed up and synced between all my devices. I can either download them or play them over the cloud. It also gives me high quality audio versions of my files. What's not to like? It's cheap as fuck too.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
What?
It's 30 bucks a year to have all your songs available across all devices at any time. Its less than pocket change. I don't even use it - I use Rdio - but calling that the 'biggest ripoff in tech' is absurd.

royalan

How is it a rip off?

I get all of my songs backed up and synced between all my devices. I can either download them or play them over the cloud. It also gives me high quality audio versions of my files. What's not to like? It's cheap as fuck too.

My rant from the iTunes thread:

Are there any impressions of iTunes Match?

I had iTunes Match for a year.

Canceled my subscription.

Easily ranks among the worst services I have ever paid for.

First of all, nobody should be paying for this in 2013. So many companies offer music matching services for free at this point.

Secondly, it's buggy as all hell. Oftentimes it would take hours for the iTunes Match to recognize that I've added new music to iTunes, upload it to the cloud, and have it show up in my phone.

Also, iTunes' live-streaming is complete crap. The slowest shit I have ever used on my phone. I have Sprint 3G in Philadelphia. I can have my music streaming via Spotify at 320 kbit/s and only experience a pause or two every few songs. Soundcloud streaming at whatever quality it is I won't experience ANY lag. Pulling up a song I don't already having downloaded to my phone via iTunes Match? Extreme lag. Songs will just stop after 5-7 seconds. And it'll take upwards of 5 minutes for a single song to download. Completely unusable as a live-streaming alternative.

Unless you have a compulsive need to support all of Apple's services, I would strongly advise not paying for iTunes Match. Frankly, I think it's criminal that Apple's even charging for this shit in 2013 when Amazon and Google provide the SAME service for their users with more features, much more reliably, and FREE.

Besides, iOS7 seems to allow you to download any music to your phone which you have uploaded to the cloud, which didn't seem to be the case before. Sure, it's limited to the amount of music you can fit in your cloud storage, but that was pretty much all I used iTunes Match for.

jrcbandit

There needs to be more thought put into the ipad version of ios 7. For example, with all of this screen space it's stupid that folders open up only a 3 by 3 grid wasting a lot of space, that's fine on an iphone, on an ipad it should display way more.

Ughh, not upgrading my Ipad confirmed. I am using jailbreak with an app that allows custom folders that are huge in size and allow scrolling. Can't go back to something like a 3 x 3 square ;p.

I certainly don't find it to be a ripoff, but it sure is a pain in the ass to figure out how to get music to display properly on my iPhone...all these duplicates and missing album art and whatnot. I might just have to turn off Match on my phone and do it the old fashioned way again.

solarus

Ughh, not upgrading my Ipad confirmed. I am using jailbreak with an app that allows custom folders that are huge in size and allow scrolling. Can't go back to something like a 3 x 3 square ;p.
There is scrolling, but only 3x3 visible at any time. Disliking the performance hit on my ipad.

Enco

Besides, iOS7 seems to allow you to download any music to your phone which you have uploaded to the cloud, which didn't seem to be the case before. Sure, it's limited to the amount of music you can fit in your cloud storage, but that was pretty much all I used iTunes Match for.
Fair enough.

I used to have problems with syncing towards the start but it has been flawless for a while. I do get some duplicates though.

The ad free iTunes Radio addition is nice too. At least when it's released in the UK.

5amshift

Banned
Only thing I'm upset with is that there is no weekly forecast in the notification center anymore..

Loving it after playing with the OS all day.

LCfiner

I have iTunes Match and I just started getting duplicate song titles in my music player on iPhone...what's up with that and how do I fix it?

I had this happen with the GM after using the beta for a while. i had downloaded versions that were showing up as duplicates with the cloud versions.

try this (worked for me)

go to settings, gen, usage, and delete all the music files there.

turn itunes match off, then on (may not be necessary).

duplicates should be gone. re-download the songs for local playback as necessary.

edit: @royalan. your experience with itunes match is not the same as everyone else’s. i’d say it’s an exception to the rule. the stuttering and extremely slow syncing issues, specifically. as for your comment about it shouldn’t be a paid service, I don’t get that at all. just the ability to get HQ versions of old 128 kbps MP3s - regardless of source - or have uploaded versions of stuff not in the itunes store is worth the money.

RDreamer

Wow my experience with it is almost completely different. At first it was buggy, but now wit works pretty flawlessly. My music appears on my phone pretty soon after uploading it, and it streams just as well as other streaming services.

I use both match and mog, and I love it.

Vyer

Sounds like you had a network problem. Streaming is great for me, and it eliminated my need to sync with iTunes. Match is great and welll worth the money.

Now that it makes iTunes Radio ad free, it's an even greater value.

I like the OS itself but the white space, brightness, and color is a bit much. Is there a way to tone it down a bit? I already have the brightness to less than a quarter.

royalan

Wow my experience with it is almost completely different. At first it was buggy, but now wit works pretty flawlessly. My music appears on my phone pretty soon after uploading it, and it streams just as well as other streaming services.

I use both match and mog, and I love it.

Hmmm, I wonder what changed to make it "not" buggy.

Sounds like you had a network problem. Streaming is great for me, and it eliminated my need to sync with iTunes. Match is great and welll worth the money.

Now that it makes iTunes Radio ad free, it's an even greater value.

Strange network issue to have, it only affecting iTunes Match and whatnot.

And I fail to see how it's a value at all when Apple's biggest competitors offer the same service to their users for free and have for years.

At this point it's a principle thing for me. It's only 30 bucks a year, sure, but I refuse to give Apple even a dime of my money for something that's as blatant a ripoff as iTunes Match, despite whatever conveniences it provides. They're only conveniences because Apple says so; they're "included features" on other platforms.

flake

So I tried to adjust my iMessage settings so when people got my texts my name and not email would should up - but now iMessage is stuck at 'waiting for activition'. Any ideas?

Tokubetsu

Music player now shows everything ive purchased but I don't necessarily have on my phone. Is there anyway to force it to only list stuff I actually have on my phone?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Today in nitpicking: the Apple TV Remote app icon needs a 7.0 update. Right now it's the opposite of flat, it sticks out like a pimple. The interface in general could be revamped.

Vyer

Strange network issue to have, it only affecting iTunes Match and whatnot.

If it was a problem with the service itself, it would be rather widespread.

And I fail to see how it's a value at all.

*shrug* That's fine. Others do. If you are going to tell people something is a blatant ripoff, those that find value will disagree.

when Apple's biggest competitors offer the same service

Which service are you currently using? IIRC there are still some differences between the various services. In addition, if you are using an actual iOS device the experience isn't likely to be the 'same' from service to service.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
itunes radio seems cool but I pay for Spotify so...
I rarely use Spotify for the radio feature. The artist discographies and custom playlists are what make it worthwhile for me. So if iTunes radio is the best in class, it should complement my set up rather than replace it.

RDreamer

Hmmm, I wonder what changed to make it "not" buggy.

The buggy period was literally the first month or two that it was released, so that's probably why it was buggy. Tons of people were jumping on it, and there was still some bugs. It happens. That and I had a fucking massive library to match.

Now, though, it works pretty flawlessly. Only time I have a problem streaming is when I hit a pretty dead spot in my 3G coverage (and that really only happens when I drive to my parents house because they live in the middle of fucking nowhere). If I've got good coverage there's no lag or anything on song streaming. Works pretty much as good as the actual streaming services.

I suppose it is still a bit buggy for me in grabbing cover art sometimes, but meh. I'm not going to get that nitpicky when for the most part it does work.

Iolo

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT

Sound is EXTREMELY low during calls, even at max volume. I've restarted the phone, checked all settings... still fucked up.

WHAT DID YOU DO APPLE

I'm on an iPhone 4 btw

I bet they'll release an update shortly containing an "updated speaker profile" for the 4. They did that for an earlier release to fix the speakerphone volume IIRC.

sgi02

Banned
Any GAF impressions on iOS7 with a iPhone 4? I read the Anandtech article on the subject, but wanted to get some real user impressions. I'm currently running 5.1.1 jailbroken on Straight Talk. I just updated all apps, and the phone runs perfectly. Any real persuasion to upgrade?

RDreamer

Any GAF impressions on iOS7 with a iPhone 4? I read the Anandtech article on the subject, but wanted to get some real user impressions. I'm currently running 5.1.1 jailbroken on Straight Talk. I just updated all apps, and the phone runs perfectly. Any real persuasion to upgrade?

It works pretty well on my phone. Honestly works better than iOS6 did, but that may be because I just needed a fresh reinstall or something. It does look and feel slicker than 6 for sure. Not sure just how much you'd NEED to since I'm sure you can get a lot of the cool features and looks through jailbreaks.

knicks

When I get a text message or an alert the home screen has like a blur effect when I view it without unlocking the phone. Is there a way to get rid of that blur effect?

Wilsongt

Everything is so... round. How do you close apps now? Doesn't seem like touching an app until is shivers in terror works anymore.

Top Bottom