• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

How does the iPad 3 handle this? Updated my iPhone 5 and liking things so far. Considering selling the iPad for a retina mini next month...not sure if I should leave it as is (jailbroken) or update.

It's pretty terrible on iPad 3. Buggy with a choppy framerate swopping between screens etc. Keyboard is sluggish, lag on awake from sleep, laggy multitask screen, moving photos around to edit/crop/adjust them locks the iPad. Looking at photos in general locks the iPad, it's pretty weak so far. Tested it on another iPad 3 this morning at work and it's the same there too. Hopefully Apple will release a quick update to fix the problems with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm really conflicted on the update

I pretty much hate the new pale UI - safari is almost painful on the eyes sometimes - especially at night. and it is noticably more sluggish on my ipad 3 which isn't old enough to go 'lol obsolescence'.

But I really like a few things. The automatic download support means that I finally get decent podcast support (Downcast already updated), and I like the swiping to go back a page in safari

when are ipad 5's due? October?

Not as bad on iPhone 4 as I feared. Definitely more sluggish than iOS 6, but still quite usable (for my admittedly modest daily usage). Hopefully they'll do some trimming on the transitions.

Calendar refused to show event colors and still doesn't have week number support, so I bought Fantastical and it's about 9.87x better than the stock app. Recommended.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is iPhone popular in Japan?

Not sure what the iOS / android split is, but I think for single phones iPhone is still the most popular. The carrier Docomo just got the phone after not carrying any iPhones, and I think they have around the same subscribers as the other two carriers, au and SoftBank combined, both of which have carried the iPhone, so I think it's about to get even more popular.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I posted as much in another thread, but I'm going to chime in too and say that iOS 7 runs just fine on my iPad 3.
weird. I wonder why people are having conflicting performance reports. Must be some sort of bug. I'll wait until there is a fix.

Number45

aren't they different though? Spotify you need to know what you want to listen to - itunes radio helps you find music you might not otherwise have found, based on what you like?
I haven't used iTunes Radio, but Spotify is superb for music discovery. Its best feature for me.

weird. I wonder why people are having conflicting performance reports. Must be some sort of bug. I'll wait until there is a fix.

Honestly, I'm trying to look for evidence of the problems others are having on mine, like Photos app sluggishness, a laggy keyboard when switching layouts, general UI sluggishness and I'm just not finding it.

Only issue I can confirm on my end is the huge freeze when changing wallpapers, which seems more like a bug than a genuine performance issue.

EDIT: I don't know if it would matter, but iPad 3 users, what specific model are you using?

64GB Wi-Fi here.

Honestly, I'm trying to look for evidence of the problems others are having on mine, like Photos app sluggishness, a laggy keyboard when switching layouts, general UI sluggishness and I'm just not finding it.

Only issue I can confirm on my end is the huge freeze when changing wallpapers, which seems more like a bug than a genuine performance issue.

EDIT: I don't know if it would matter, but iPad 3 users, what specific model are you using?

64GB Wi-Fi here.

64gb Wi-Fi here too! How bizarre.

Partition

Banned
iOS7 for iPhone 5, YES or NO guys?

I've been hearing issues with the battery drain, so still debating if I should install it.

Battery drains faster but not by much. Just make sure to constantly close your apps when you are done with them. But yes it is worth it despite that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
With the new multitasking function... if I open multiple Safari tabs at the same time, do they run simultaneously?

Hanmik

ARLqZcn.jpg

of course it´s retweeted by Tom Warren.. lol

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I am incapable of sympathizing with people who dislike the flat design of this. It's not like whimsical imagery and typography are impossible now that we don't have drop shadows and bezels.

NekoFever

iPad 3 and iPhone 4, upgrade?

I have both and am happy with the upgrade. It's probably slightly slower than iOS 6 on my phone but not so much so that it would put me off updating for the new features. Certainly nothing close to iOS-4-on-iPhone-3G bad.

If they shorten the animations/transitions, which is a general complaint rather than anything specific to the hardware, it'll feel better.

Tobor

iPad 3 performance isn't as bad as some are making it sound like.

It's not as smooth as the iPhone 5, but It's not terrible either. There's nothing going on here that can't be fine tuned in a further update.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Probably just a small bug or my phone being stupid, but I couldnt use the music player in the lock screen last night
Does anyone know if there is a way to only get the song name to show up in the line above the pause/fastfoward bit in the music player? At the moment it doesnt scroll and I can't see that majority of song names

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
lol it´s easy on ios7 because of the control panel. If you disable that, the trick can´t be done. But who want´s to be without the control panel. ?

If your phone is actually locked and requires a code to open, going in through the camera/camera roll doesn't work.

Anyone else feel that iOS 7 is slow, even on the iPhone 5? Opening apps and going back to the home screen doesn't feel as fast as it did. Also the lock screen doesn't appear as quick as it did when you hit the switch for it.

Hanmik

If your phone is actually locked and requires a code to open, going in through the camera/camera roll doesn't work.

yes, but by using the control panel and the clock, you can (with 4 simple touches) access the camera app with the gallery fully accessible.. you can even send pictures and more.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
yes, but by using the control panel and the clock, you can (with 4 simple touches) access the camera app with the gallery fully accessible.. you can even send pictures and more.

not if your device is actually locked, it still just brings up pictures taken just now or a blank screen stating the device is locked.

Hanmik

not if your device is actually locked, it still just brings up pictures taken just now or a blank screen stating the device is locked.

nope.. I have tried it on two different iphones here at work, they owners thought the same as you. I could PM you the details if you want.

Toki767

Anyone else feel that iOS 7 is slow, even on the iPhone 5? Opening apps and going back to the home screen doesn't feel as fast as it did. Also the lock screen doesn't appear as quick as it did when you hit the switch for it.

I think it's cause they added longer animations/transition effects. Which while nice to look at, kind of hampers people who just want to access things quickly.

mrkgoo

I think it's cause they added longer animations/transition effects. Which while nice to look at, kind of hampers people who just want to access things quickly.

I hated it at first too, but after a while I got used to it. It really feels more 'unified'. One of the original complaints about iOS for the longest time was that everything you do feels isolated, like you're jumping between Islands. It wasn't far from the truth because of the app sand boxing.

It's no different now really, but the animations to a long way to making it FEEL like you are using an entire system, and just zooming in and out of different areas.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hmm, so if someone steals your phone... I can't use Find my iPhone because the thief can now take down the notification screen (without having to pass the password screen) and turn on airplane mode :/

Milchjon

Hmm, so if someone steals your phone... I can't use Find my iPhone because the thief can now take down the notification screen (without having to pass the password screen) and turn on airplane mode :/

And he can access some of your apps.

Better tape that shit to your wrist until they update it!

Milchjon

Well, to be fair, a phone in airplane mode is pretty much useless. So if they wanna use or sell it, they have to turn it off at some point.

Oare

You must be in the minority. I haven't upgraded because of all the horror stories.

No problems to report here either on my wife's iPad 3.
Even the somewhat lag-inducing Japanese keyboard, it works neither better nor worse than in iOS6.

If that helps, a lot of people in other forums are apparently reporting that most of their problems went away after a settings reset.
Can't vouch for this firsthand, but it might be worth a try.

Hanmik

jut tried it on a work colleague´s phone.. you can enter airplane mode.. damn.

Top Bottom