• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

LCfiner

Everything is so... round. How do you close apps now? Doesn't seem like touching an app until is shivers in terror works anymore.

swipe up when on the multitasking screen.

but you don’t really need to do this unless you want to cancel a GPS app or other active process….

Presco

How does the iPad 3 handle this? Updated my iPhone 5 and liking things so far. Considering selling the iPad for a retina mini next month...not sure if I should leave it as is (jailbroken) or update.

JaseMath

How does the iPad 3 handle this? Updated my iPhone 5 and liking things so far. Considering selling the iPad for a retina mini next month...not sure if I should leave it as is (jailbroken) or update.
Sell your iPad; don't update. It's laggy and just eats through battery.

How long does it take for the Today traffic estimations to kick in? I've been on the golden master for about a week and it still hasn't started.

railGUN

Banned
It is laggy but I haven't noticed any battery hit myself.

Both my parents, and my iPad 3 had Bluetooth turned on after the update -- not sure if that is having any effect (I noticed I was draining a bit faster, but have since turned off Bluetooth, but haven't really checked the battery tonight).

I'm on iPad 2 and apart from some lag when I go to home screen it works pretty well. The swipe to go to previous page in safari alone is worth the upgrade.

Irishwinger

Neo Member
For some reason when I go into the artists tab in the music app none of the mixtapes i've downloaded onto my phone show up. I can find the songs when i go into the songs tab but they're not there under the albums tab. Anyone have this same problem/know a solution? Everything seems to be labeled properly from what I can tell

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
For some reason when I go into the artists tab in the music app none of the mixtapes i've downloaded onto my phone show up. I can find the songs when i go into the songs tab but they're not there under the albums tab. Anyone have this same problem/know a solution? Everything seems to be labeled properly from what I can tell
It goes by album artist. They're all under unknown artist until you update their info in the desktop version of iTunes.

It's pretty annoying since the distinction between artist and album artist seems pointless.

mrkgoo

iOS7 for iPhone 5, YES or NO guys?

I've been hearing issues with the battery drain, so still debating if I should install it.

It drains battery faster for sure. It's still up in the air whether that's just a facto of life with the new features, whether there's a bug causing excessive drain, or whether you can just turn off the bigger drain features and it will be fine.

I still say yes.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I really like 7 on the iphone 5. Works really well and I dig the new features.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there a way to remove the top inbox in the mail app? The one highlighted in red in my screenshot... It's completely useless since I have the "real" one right under it.

YHv.png

epmode

iOS7 for iPhone 5, YES or NO guys?

I've been hearing issues with the battery drain, so still debating if I should install it.

Absolutely. I've read similar complaints about battery life with every single iOS update I've followed so I tend to ignore them. I haven't noticed much of a difference on my iPhone 5, anyway.

I'm just hesitant about updating my iPad 3. I think I'll hold off on that one.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Absolutely. I've read similar complaints about battery life with every single iOS update I've followed so I tend to ignore them. I haven't noticed much of a difference on my iPhone 5, anyway.

I'm just hesitant about updating my iPad 3. I think I'll hold off on that one.

I've found that turning off Background App Refresh and autoupdates on the App Store help improve battery life.

I also read on Macrumors that resetting all settings on the iPad 3 before installing iOS 7 is supposed to fix all the lag problems. I'm gonna try it tomorrow,

Link

The Autumn Wind
Is there any way to dismiss updated apps listed in the App Store? I know they're updated; I don't need them sitting there for two days.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They should really make these transitions interruptible. It seems so wrong that you have to wait for task manager cards to stop moving completely before you can tap on one of them so that it would show that app.

Mairu

I feel like the tagline for iOS 7 should be "The slowest iOS ever!" - I wish you could turn off all these unnecessary animations that do nothing but make it take longer to do anything :/

Shearie

One negative effect from the left and right swipes in iphone Safari that is pretty annoying is that it is a lot harder to long press the arrows on the right side of threads in mobile NeoGaf.

Other than that, new Safari is soooo good.

This new OS has been out for what? Less than 48 hours? I had to deal with a bunch of customers already asking me if there's a way to go back to the old OS. Seems a few people hate it.

I just put it on my iPad 3. It's laggy as shit. I'm hoping it does sort itself out after a few hours like someone on here said, if not I may sell it. It's really annoying.

On the plus side I've been using it for half an hour now and my battery still says 100%. Impressive.

mrkgoo

They should really make these transitions interruptible. It seems so wrong that you have to wait for task manager cards to stop moving completely before you can tap on one of them so that it would show that app.

Well look at that... I just noticed (as I went to multitasking to check out what you said) that the title bar in the little screen shots is actually live. That is it updates with the time, signal strength, battery etc. you would've thought it'd be easier to just have that capture as part of the screen grab as opposed to render a mini version for those that had then.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Well look at that... I just noticed (as I went to multitasking to check out what you said) that the title bar in the little screen shots is actually live. That is it updates with the time, signal strength, battery etc. you would've thought it'd be easier to just have that capture as part of the screen grab as opposed to render a mini version for those that had then.
Also, If you open the camera app then bring up the task switcher. The camera preview remains live and the camera will continue to auto focus.

Does anyone know how to shut the weather updating notification noise off? I can't seem to find it in settings. Every time the weather updates, it makes a 'ding' sound to let me know it's began updating and then another 'dung' sound to let me know it's finished updating itself.

It's starting to get annoying, since it's every 15 minutes or so.

Shearie

Does anyone know how to shut the weather updating notification noise off? I can't seem to find it in settings. Every time the weather updates, it makes a 'ding' sound to let me know it's began updating and then another 'dung' sound to let me know it's finished updating itself.

It's starting to get annoying, since it's every 15 minutes or so.

That's strange. That's never happened to me.

I wouldn't even know how to turn something like that on.

bonesquad

I'm sure this is old news, but I fucking hate the new folders. I put a bunch of apps in folders so I can reduce swiping between pages. That's moot now if I have to swipe inside folders. Grr.

Otherwise my initial impression of 7 is petty positive. I'll need to find a replacement for the way too bright notes app, but mainly I'm just annoyed I have to rearrange everything, somehow, to reduce swiping. Maybe it's time I just delete a bunch of this shit...

Guess Who

Banned
I also read on Macrumors that resetting all settings on the iPad 3 before installing iOS 7 is supposed to fix all the lag problems. I'm gonna try it tomorrow,

Pfft, no, I've done a fresh factory restore on the thing and it's still nowhere near what it should be.

I've installed it on an iphone 4, is there any way to reduce the transitions between actions? It seems to make my phone choke with all the zooms and scaling!

Also are they updating OSX soon? Switching between Notes on my phone and Mac it looks outdated already!!

lucius

So now it's not so laggy running iOS7 on my iPhone 5, very strange since I did all the common fixes shutdown, hard restart, reset, tested connection speed test etc. Just wondering if it was one of the not updated yet apps that slowed it down with a bug or what was going on since I was at the point of thinking to downgrade back to iOS6 if they still had the option, but thankfully now it's running smoother.

Jonogunn

I'm sure this is old news, but I fucking hate the new folders. I put a bunch of apps in folders so I can reduce swiping between pages. That's moot now if I have to swipe inside folders. Grr.

Otherwise my initial impression of 7 is petty positive. I'll need to find a replacement for the way too bright notes app, but mainly I'm just annoyed I have to rearrange everything, somehow, to reduce swiping. Maybe it's time I just delete a bunch of this shit...

Ya I like the old folder style. I at least wish they had more apps per folder page.

matt360

My iPad 3 seems to be running just fine. It did chug when I switched wallpapers, but my keyboard is fine and screen rotation speeds are fine.

iPhone 5 seems great. I haven't noticed a drop in battery life (was already shitty to begin with) and everything is very snappy. One thing that I really don't like about the new Music app is when searching for specific albums/songs by artist if you have, say, a dozen or so albums by that one person/band. I have every single Green Day and NOFX album loaded up, but if I want to play a song from 21st Century Breakdown I have to scroll waaaaay down to the bottom. There needs to be a way to collapse the individual songs and just search by album. iTunes also does this now and I fucking hate it.

It runs like shit. I can't believe Apple has rendered an iPad useless that is not very old at all. It really sucks and I wish I could downgrade. I'll definitely be getting the iPad 5 whenever it comes out.

lexi

Banned
It runs like shit. I can't believe Apple has rendered an iPad useless that is not very old at all. It really sucks and I wish I could downgrade. I'll definitely be getting the iPad 5 whenever it comes out.

I had to laugh at your last sentence. I'm looking to offload my 3 and pick up a retina mini, myself.

I had to laugh at your last sentence. I'm looking to offload my 3 and pick up a retina mini, myself.
I tried selling my 64GB LTE iPad 3 on Craigslist right when the 4 was announced out of nowhere and all I got were lowbal offers like $200 and shit. This fucking thing cost $800+ new.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The speed of my new 5S + new Spotlight is really great. It's like Alfred/Quicksilver for my phone o/

Top Bottom