• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just google iOS 7 hack. It's extremely wide-spread by now.

This: http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre...lockscreen-to-hijack-photos-email-or-twitter/

I can't replicate it on my iPhone 5, is it only affecting older models?

Then there are these two 'workaround fixes';
We found a potential work around at the office today. Select General, Accessibility, Accessibility Shortcut – turn on assistive touch. It will either bring you back to the home lock page or turn on the assistive touch soft button. We have not been able to hack around it.

With Siri disabled, I am able to duplicate this hack. If Siri is enabled, this hack doesn’t appear to work. Quick fix: Enable Siri.

With both of these disabled, I still cannot replicate the glitch on my phone.

Jose Rodriguez, the guy that found it uses a 4S in his video, but the video doesn't account for the fact that the requirement for a lockscreen keycode is 60 seconds by default, he unlocks his phone with a code, then goes back to the lockscreen (without the phone actually being locked) and 'performs the glitch' - which isn't a glitch at that point since the phone isn't locked.

Not saying there isn't a glitch, but there isn't much evidence to suggest so either here.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You can also turn on Siri and tell her to turn on Airplane mode :lol

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
To wipe a phone you need to connect it to a PC though, at which point it'll communicate with Apple's servers. If you as the owner have enabled the remote lock option via iCloud the phone will go into lockdown mode instead of being wiped.

There's no way afaik to wipe an iPhone while staying in Airplane mode.

Noema

To wipe a phone you need to connect it to a PC though, at which point it'll communicate with Apple's servers. If you as the owner have enabled the remote lock option via iCloud the phone will go into lockdown mode instead of being wiped.

There's no way afaik to wipe an iPhone while staying in Airplane mode.

Also, unless you sign out from iCloud before wiping the phone, it'll be necessary to enter the password from the last iCloud account bound to that device to activate it after it has been wiped.

But it's a good point about airplane mode being so easily accessible from the lock screen. The option should be greyed out if the phone needs a password to be unlocked.

still don't get why airplane mode is on the lockscreen. It's not really a feature you use that often... unless you travel a lot.

I kinda wish it offered customizability. probably ios 8. Have some actual useful things like toggle data on and off for folks on low data plans.

jtb

Banned
so can someone clarify this for me, now that iOS7 is actually out? What's the deal with iWork? Free for all or just new activations?

SJRB

Gold Member
I love the design of iOS7, but the music player is completely fucked.

Whenever I slide to unlock it randomly skips in tracks, and when listening to longer tracks [dj livesets and such] it just completely skips to another part in the track.

It's extremely annoying.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Add me to the running iOS 7 fine on my iPad 3 camp.
Same on mine. These posts may seem myheartisfine.jpg but I think it's good to balance all the "iPad 3 is unusable after the update, throw it in the garbage" horror stories since most people who post are those who are having trouble. For those having issues, besides resetting settings it sounds like simply using it for a bit also helps making the update "settle in".

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Ack they ruined the sorting in music.

I used to be able to sort by genre, artist, album, song (in that order).

Now the album select is skipped causing all my artists songs to be put together during a shuffle.

Very annoying after years of iOS segregating them that way.

ramyeon

I dislike how the Radio feature pushed the albums tab out of the music app. Which is even more annoying given how the artist tab deals with albums now. So much scrolling.
You do know you can change what shows in the tabs and what order they're in, right?

Am I doing something wrong or is iTunes Radio buggy? Started a Classical Music for Studying station and after the first track it started playing Weezer, All American Rejects, etc. This is the desktop version.

Yeah, Itunes Radio is still in beta stages from what I can tell. I listened to some elctronica stations and after about an hour it starts playing folk and pop. I also heard some repeats within 4 or 5 songs. They're obviously still tweaking their playlists. Lots of channels also have placeholder artwork.

Cheech

How does it run on the iPad 4?

Perfect. I played around with it a lot last night, and it runs just as well as my iPhone 5.

That said, my iPad 4 is fairly new - I just got it this past June. It came with the final 6.1.x iOS release, so 7 was its first firmware update.

I am wondering if people who have issues with their devices are because they have been using the same iOS install for so long, and have just built up tons of cruft. Probably not a bad idea to wipe and re-load from iCloud.

Is iTunes Radio any good? I was gutted when I heard it wasn't coming to the uk at launch.

It needs work. Here is my experience this AM, that I sent to a few of my friends:

So I created "Rush Radio".

First song is some White Lion song. That is a pretty goofy selection, but whatever. 1980s

Second song is a newer Rush song, and excellent. Actually one of my favorites from their recent output. Well done, iTunes Radio.

Third song... hey, this is no song. It's a fucking commercial. I pay for iTunes Match, damn it, I should not be... wait. This isn't a real commercial.

"Damn it Janet, fucking Billy shit his pants again!"
"Listen you little asshole, come over here and lick your mama's num nums!"

WHAT THE FUCK.

So after about 20 seconds of this, it's apparent it's a joke commercial. It ends. I am dying laughing, as it is obvious that iTunes Radio has got some work to do.

Fourth song is "Daniel". Yes, the Elton John song.

I drove into work this AM in tears from laughing so hard. Also, made a mental note to turn off "Explicit songs" for when my kids are in the car.

It needs work. Here is my experience this AM, that I sent to a few of my friends:

So I created "Rush Radio".

First song is some White Lion song. That is a pretty goofy selection, but whatever. 1980s

Second song is a newer Rush song, and excellent. Actually one of my favorites from their recent output. Well done, iTunes Radio.

Third song... hey, this is no song. It's a fucking commercial. I pay for iTunes Match, damn it, I should not be... wait. This isn't a real commercial.

"Damn it Janet, fucking Billy shit his pants again!"
"Listen you little asshole, come over here and lick your mama's num nums!"

WHAT THE FUCK.

So after about 20 seconds of this, it's apparent it's a joke commercial. It ends. I am dying laughing, as it is obvious that iTunes Radio has got some work to do.

Fourth song is "Daniel". Yes, the Elton John song.

I drove into work this AM in tears from laughing so hard. Also, made a mental note to turn off "Explicit songs" for when my kids are in the car.

LOL. Yeah, it needs A LOT of work. I like the Hits-Variety-Discover slider that lets you control the degree of similar artists. But the system is WAY to dependent on Apple's Genius algorithm. They need some curated stations with some actual DJs. The song transitions can be pretty bad sometimes and 1 minute dialog or "intermission" tracks will get included totally randomly and break the flow.

Tobor

I'm listening to 80's college radio again.

Four songs in, four awesome songs.

Jesus and Mary Chain, the fall, Cocteau twins, and dream syndicate. I'm in heaven.

edit: they might be giants! iTunes Radio rules!

Just got it 20 minutes ago on my iPod Touch. Only things I don't like are the white backgrounds behind photos and home x2 now shows recently used apps. The swipe up menu is very handy though, and everything else seems to function smoother for me. Especially like the new keyboard.

Hopefully I don't experience any problems that will make this annoying to use.

SeanR1221

I'm listening to 80's college radio again.

Four songs in, four awesome songs.

Jesus and Mary Chain, the fall, Cocteau twins, and dream syndicate. I'm in heaven.

edit: they might be giants! iTunes Radio rules!

It's definitely good, but I can never give up spotify. There's too many times that I'm in the mood for "that song"

ramyeon

Anyone else having the iTunes app refuse to open at all for them? It just crashes every time I've tried to launch it today - was working fine yesterday.

Kinan

Installed it on my ipad 3, its not that bad, really. Actually only not perfectly responsive things I have noticed are noticeable delays with keyboard typing and new multitasking switching (when you just start these things).

After some use I like new design, looks more modern now. What I dislike is all that white everywhere, decreased brightness and set darker backgrounds to make it tolerable.

ramyeon

I want to like iWork but I don't think pages or numbers could ever replace word or excell for me.

I might be able to get by on pages but numbers? Nah :/
I can't speak for Numbers/Excel since I rarely use them but Pages and Keynote are way better than their Microsoft Office equivalents for me. Especially Keynote.

Quick tip for anyone having battery issues since he upgrade to iOS 7. Yesterday my 4S felt like it was burning through its battery faster than on iOS 6. Not incredibly so, but it was still definitely noticeable. I let it complete run out of juice then charged it over night and today its back to what I would have expected prior to the update. I'm going to power cycle my iPad 3 now as well just to be on the safe side.

Chuckl3s

After updating to 7 yesterday, I noticed my iCloud backup from this morning jumped from 4.8gbs to 9.4gbs. Is that normal for iOS7? I didn't change anything to the apps..I DO need to stop uploading my photos to the cloud but that was just a huge jump to see.

Spotify doesn't, at least, I've yet to hit one. Nor does Last.FM right?

You get what you pay for. iTunes Radio has a limit of 6 skips between 2 advertisements which is the industry standard across nearly all services except Rdio and Spotify. If you purchase iTunes Match, the skip limit is removed .

Spotify for iOS has no skip limits though on their radio

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
After updating to 7 yesterday, I noticed my iCloud backup from this morning jumped from 4.8gbs to 9.4gbs. Is that normal for iOS7? I didn't change anything to the apps..I DO need to stop uploading my photos to the cloud but that was just a huge jump to see.

I had mine jump by 1GB for a day or two and then go back down.

crozier

I might get used to it, but the one thing I really (really) do not like about iOS 7 is the aspect lock button's new location. I hate swiping from bottom to top...it's too easy to do it unintentionally. Bring back the double tap!

EDIT: This is on iPad

Top Bottom