• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Magnus

Is there a way to delete ALL photos in your Roll/Photo Stream on iOS7? Instructions I'm finding online are for ios6 and earlier

How come my notification and control center isn't translucent/see-through anymore? Notification center just has a black background and control center's white. I've tried restarting but it doesn't change it. Anyone??

Phreaker

You get what you pay for. iTunes Radio has a limit of 6 skips between 2 advertisements which is the industry standard across nearly all services except Rdio and Spotify. If you purchase iTunes Match, the skip limit is removed .

I have iTunes Match. The only thing that is removed for me is the ads. I still have a skip limit.

Manp

some things can be improved but i like the new theme and i'm actually getting better battery life on my 4S so far, which i find surprising.
some lag here and here but i would say it's pretty much smooth for the most part.

right now i feel no need to upgrade to one of their new phones.

:)

How come my notification and control center isn't translucent/see-through anymore? Notification center just has a black background and control center's white. I've tried restarting but it doesn't change it. Anyone??

You on a 4 or 4S? Go to settings, General, accessibility and turn Increase Contrast to OFF.

When you buy a new iDevice and it's activated for the first time, Apple will add the iWork and iLife apps to the Apple account used to activate said device so you can download them to all your devices if you want.

So if you bought an iPad last week and turned it on, you have to pay for iWork??

I have 4gb of space hanging in the ether that I could not delete (8gb iphone4) so I had to do the upgrade through iTunes through the computer.

I like it and hate it all at the same time. I like the flat design but hate some of the specific choices, such as the colors of the balloons in messages.

How do I get that nebulous space back? I deleted all my photos, music, messages, apps, cleared my safari cache and history, and it didn't change that amount at all.

Not sure what to do about it but it sucks only having a gig and a half to work with in the phone

I apologize for being tech illiterate but if I backup my iphone 4 on my computer and then update to the new OS and end up thinking it is too slow, the backup will revert back to 6.1.3 right? I won't be stuck with 7?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I was quite iffy with iOS7 on my iPhone 4 to start, especially design wise, but now everything has settled down I can really appreciate some of the choices they made. The lock screen music controls are especially great now, it was annoying having to always unlock or double click to get to the options but now they are all there.

Will iOS7 finally let me turn off the text-sent swoosh sound without muting the whole phone? It always drives me up the wall.

Doesn't seem like it, I was looking through the options only just now to do just that, I was hoping to at least change it, but nope, nothing, stuck with the annoying text swoosh.

Noema

So if you bought an iPad last week and turned it on, you have to pay for iWork??

From Apple.com:

"iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated as of September 1, 2013. See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ for iOS 7 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID."

No word on what constitutes a "qualifying" device but in theory you should be able to get the apps for free.

I apologize for being tech illiterate but if I backup my iphone 4 on my computer and then update to the new OS and end up thinking it is too slow, the backup will revert back to 6.1.3 right? I won't be stuck with 7?

Nope, you'll still be running iOS 7. Only way to go back to iOS 6 would be to download a 6.1.3 IPSW file, get your phone to DFU mode and then load the IPSW. That's assuming Apple still signs the install of 6.1.3 though.

Blackhead

Redarse

The backup you made on 6.1.3. will work with 6.1.3 and 7.x but the backup you made on 7.x will not work on 6.1.3. However it's a moot point because Apple won't let you go back from 7 to 6.1.3 anyway. You're stuck once you upgrade.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Backups don't back up the OS. Only the settings and user data. The OS requires the right .ipsw file and your apps are downloaded from Apple. (Or copied from your computer if you plug it into iTunes) So no. It won't restore you to 6. You'd have to recover the phone. You'll need the iOS 6 .ipsw file.

Edit: Unless Grayface is right. But I thought people were reverting to 6 using the right installer? You just won't be able to use a backup from 7 so make sure you keep one from 6.

VoxPop

Damn I installed iOS 7 on my dad's iPhone 4 and iPad 3. Filled with some serious lag. What's with the huge delay when changing something as simple as the wallpaper?

Nope, you'll still be running iOS 7. Only way to go back to iOS 6 would be to download a 6.1.3 IPSW file, get your phone to DFU mode and then load the IPSW. That's assuming Apple still signs the install of 6.1.3 though.

The backup you made on 6.1.3. will work with 6.1.3 and 7.x but the backup you made on 7.x will not work on 6.1.3. However it's a moot point because Apple won't let you go back from 7 to 6.1.3 anyway. You're stuck once you upgrade.

Backups don't back up the OS. Only the settings and user data. The OS requires the right .ipsw file and your apps are downloaded from Apple. (Or copied from your computer if you plug it into iTunes) So no. It won't restore you to 6. You'd have to recover the phone. You'll need the iOS 6 .ipsw file.

Edit: Unless Grayface is right. But I thought people were reverting to 6 using the right installer? You just won't be able to use a backup from 7 so make sure you keep one from 6.

Thanks guys, I think I'm just going to stick with 6.1.3 I don't want to possibly be stuck with an OS that runs even slower than my phone already is.

edit:
I was quite iffy with iOS7 on my iPhone 4 to start, especially design wise, but now everything has settled down I can really appreciate some of the choices they made. The lock screen music controls are especially great now, it was annoying having to always unlock or double click to get to the options but now they are all there.

Is it noticeably slower than 6.1.3?

Noema

Thanks guys, I think I'm just going to stick with 6.1.3 I don't want to possibly be stuck with an OS that runs even slower than my phone already is.

It's not much worse than iOS 6 though. IMO iOS 7 runs fine on the 4.

I guess it depends if you are willing to pay the mild performance hit to get new features like Control Cebter and improved Safari.

I guess it depends if you are willing to pay the mild performance hit to get new features like Control Cebter and improved Safari.

Interesting. I mean my phone is already pretty slow so I may just be used to it by now so it wouldn't be so bad. I definitely like a lot of the new features that I've seen.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

edit:

Yeah, the jury is still out on the 4. It's slow for some, fine for others. Maybe a few updates will fix it. So if you want to be safe, stick with 6 until you hear great things, or get a new phone. (Surely you're up for an upgrade soon??)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is the free iWork stuff only for new phones? I see the apps haven't even been 7'd. Now that I look, barely any Apple apps have been 7'd at all, what's up with that?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is the free iWork stuff only for new phones? I see the apps haven't even been 7'd. Now that I look, barely any Apple apps have been 7'd at all, what's up with that?
One of life's greatest mysteries. Seriously though. You'd expect all Apple's apps to be the first to be updated day 1.

Yes, it becomes free when you activate a new device out of the box. I believe the OS will attach the apps to your account when you sign in.

Mononoke

Banned
I love iO7 on my iPad mini. Really big improvement IMO. I'll have to wait like 4 months until I get an iPhone again to try it out on a phone device. Currently on HTC one.

Made this mistake with my dad's phone. I upgraded his 4 for him, thinking I was doing him a favor. I've noticed a slow down lag with iO7. I kind of felt bad, when he told me things loaded slower. =/

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm gonna be seeing old keyboards for a long time to come in most apps, ain't I?

Rrang129

I love iO7 on my iPad mini. Really big improvement IMO. I'll have to wait like 4 months until I get an iPhone again to try it out on a phone device. Currently on HTC one.

Made this mistake with my dad's phone. I upgraded his 4 for him, thinking I was doing him a favor. I've noticed a slow down lag with iO7. I kind of felt bad, when he told me things loaded slower. =/

So, it would be safe to assume that upgrading my iPad 2 won't make it run slower or anything? I upgraded my 4, and while it's not terrible, the slowness is definitely more noticeable from iOS6.

Guess Who

Banned
I might get used to it, but the one thing I really (really) do not like about iOS 7 is the aspect lock button's new location. I hate swiping from bottom to top...it's too easy to do it unintentionally. Bring back the double tap!

EDIT: This is on iPad

If you have an iPad and don't have orientation lock set to the switch on the side of the device you're doing it all kinds of wrong.

Mononoke

Banned
So, it would be safe to assume that upgrading my iPad 2 won't make it run slower or anything? I upgraded my 4, and while it's not terrible, the slowness is definitely more noticeable from iOS6.

I upgraded my iPad mini, and have had zero slow down. It's worked beautifully with iO7. Don't know what the specs are compared to iPad 2 though (aren't they similar?).

I assume that's why you are asking. But yeah, I agree the slow down/lag is noticeable on the iPhone 4.

Rrang129

I upgraded my iPad mini, and have had zero slow down. It's worked beautifully with iO7. Don't know what the specs are compared to iPad 2 though (aren't they similar?).

I assume that's why you are asking. But yeah, I agree the slow down/lag is noticeable on the iPhone 4.

From what I understand, the mini has the same internals as the iPad 2. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and upgrade!

Mononoke

Banned
From what I understand, the mini has the same internals as the iPad 2. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and upgrade!

Let me know how it goes. I hope it's as smooth as mine. I would feel kind of bad if you upgrade, and you notice a slow/lag. =/

I should also say that, I accidentally upgraded my iPad mini a day before it officially came out with the GM version. My understanding is that the GM version is 100% the retail version. That there is no difference.

However, when i upgraded my Mom's iPad 3 - when I switched her background/wallpaper, the iPad came to a slow crawl. I had to force it to shut off. Then I rebooted it, and now I haven't had any issues. What's strange is, I had this same issue with my Dad's third generation iPad. Same situation, had to reboot it after it became slow as hell, and now no issues. Note that: this only happened when iO7 was first installed (so immediately after the installation completed).

Both of their iPads were done through the official update in ITunes. I did not have this issue at all with my mini, but did it though a torrent. So if you have this problem, just hold the power down, and reboot it. I'm sure this was just a fluke, and you won't run into this. But given you are going to upgrade and are unsure, thought I would give you my entire experience.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
edit:

I'm not really the best person to ask, I had my iPhone 4 JB with that tweak that makes all the animations faster, so after that a normal iOS phone felt slow anyway. But yea, it is slower, I think like someone else said in tests it might be half a second to a second slower opening stuff, but I haven't noticed anything terrible performance wise yet.

I also did a clean install too mind, might have helped not carrying over any of the crap from older versions.

Rrang129

Let me know how it goes. I hope it's as smooth as mine. I would feel kind of bad if you upgrade, and you notice a slow/lag. =/

I should also say that, I accidentally upgraded my iPad mini a day before it officially came out with the GM version. My understanding is that the GM version is 100% the retail version. That there is no difference.

However, when i upgraded my Mom's iPad 3 - when I switched her background/wallpaper, the iPad came to a slow crawl. I had to force it to shut off. Then I rebooted it, and now I haven't had any issues. What's strange is, I had this same issue with my Dad's third generation iPad. Same situation, had to reboot it after it became slow as hell, and now no issues. Note that: this only happened when iO7 was first installed (so immediately after the installation completed).

Both of their iPads were done through the official update in ITunes. I did not have this issue at all with my mini, but did it though a torrent. So if you have this problem, just hold the power down, and reboot it. I'm sure this was just a fluke, and you won't run into this. But given you are going to upgrade and are unsure, thought I would give you my entire experience.

I wonder if this has something to do with how iPad 3 is running on the higher definition assets with the Retina displays, and since it has slower internals, it's going to chug more than with the newest iPads.

I'll definitely shut it completely down and reboot it just for good measure, thanks!

Noema

I'm gonna be seeing old keyboards for a long time to come in most apps, ain't I?

Can't believe Whatsapp hasn't been updated. And it's not just the look: there's a gap between the keyboard and the messages that really bugs me. Dropbox hasn't released an update with a flat look, but at least they released an update with bug fixes.

My guitar tuner doesn't work at all in iOS 7 and I suspect it won't get updated ever. :(

mattiewheels

Only if the apps you use are developed by lazy developers who either abandoned and don't care about the app anymore, or are really slow at updating.
Well, I've got a lot of of standbys...like Project Noah, really cool but hasn't even been updated for iPhone 5. There's gonna be tons of very outdated apps people still use, it'll be jarring in the future, I bet.

Tumo

I don't know if these are new in iOS7 or I just never noticed before but...

I wish I could use the 5 finger pinch to close:
- Siri
- Search
- Open Folders
- Newstand (this used to be a type of folder, but in 7 it looks like an app when open)

It is very jarring to have it work on every app then try and use it on these and have to resort to using the home button.

nomis

iPod touch 5 here, couldn't update from iTunes because the servers were busy or something ("requested resource could not be found") so I downloaded the GM from an alternate source, but it seems to be frozen about halfway through the restore.

Can I just unplug the cable and retry or will that brick my shit?

ecurbj

For those with Apple TVs:

Following the release of iOS 7 and the debut of its new iPhones, Apple has today pushed a new software update to its Apple TV set-top box following months of testing.

As expected, the update offers a number of new features for Apple TV users, including support for Apple’s newly released iTunes Radio music service, iCloud Photos and Videos, iTunes Music Store purchases on the device, Podcasts, and AirPlay from iCloud.

With AirPlay from iCloud, iTunes users can play content purchased from the iTunes store on any Apple TV, streaming it via iCloud.

Apple has been working hard to bolster its Apple TV content offerings in recent months and has added additional apps for Vevo, The Weather Channel, the Disney Channel, the Smithsonian Channel, and more. The company is also rumored to be working on an updated version of its Apple TV hardware, which could debut later this year.

I'm updating my Apple TV right now.

ecurbj

Is there an indication of 100% charge while plugged in, like there was in previous versions (used to be a plug icon)?
That was the same question I had earlier but quickly found out they dismissed the plug icon and decided to show the percentage of how much the battery is charged on the lock screen. Once it says "100% charged" it's 100% charged.

I kinda miss the unlock sound. I wish it made some sort of sound. And the lock sound should be more computer-y and futuristic or something. Oh, and the "connected to power" sound is so weird.

Oh yeah, there should totally be an unlock sound. I keep thinking I'm on vibrate because I dont hear anything when I unlock my phone.

The connected power is super cool. Feels like I just acquired a power up on Metroid or something.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Jailbreak addiction is really bumming me out... I want to try this OS :(

My only real issue with iOS 7 is how awful the new Album View in the Music app is.

Album view before iOS 7: You start with a list of artists. You select an artist and presented with a list of albums (in chronological order if your ID3 tags are good). You select an album and are presented with the album’s tracklist.

Album view in iOS 7: You start with a list of artists. You select an artist and are presented with a list of albums (in chronological order) as well as all of the songs on each album.

This is an awful change. Take The Beatles for example. Because I have iTunes Match, I have all of their albums (including Love and Let it Be Naked) available on my iPhone (some in the cloud, some on the device). That’s 16 albums and 263 songs. Under the new album view, I’m presented with way too much fucking information on the album view screen. If I want to listen to Let it Be, I need to scroll past 11 albums and all of their songs before I can select Let it Be. That’s awful. Too much data. Why did they collapse the tracklists down to the album view page? Ugh.

I’m also a huge fan of Less Than Jake (have been since middle school, I’m 29 now). They have a metric fuck-ton of releases, especially since lots of their early stuff was on 7” EPs or just singles. I have 42 LTJ albums (315 songs) available on my iPhone via iTunes Match. If I want to listen to the most recent one I have to scroll past FORTY ONE FUCKING ALBUMS AND ALL OF THEIR SONGS. It’s utter nonsense.

Essentially, there is now almost no difference between song view and album view. The only difference is that after selecting an artist, song view gives you an alphabetical list of all the songs and album view gives you a chronological list of all the songs (sub-sorted by track-list order per album). If I want to see all the songs, I’ll go to song view. The whole point of album view is that I want to view ALBUMS (not songs).

The person who decided to make this change is completely brain dead and clearly is the type of person that listens to individual songs. I like to listen to whole albums when I listen to music. Apple has made it much more difficult to do so, especially when you have an artist that has more than 3 albums in their catalog.

Everything else about iOS 7 is either a net positive or a neutral change. But this album view thing is bullshit and makes no sense.

Probably way late on this but...

Was assigning a custom ringtone for when my mamma calls me, and I noticed all the options to assign different vibration patterns...and the ability to create custom vibration patterns via tapping! NICE.

Top Bottom