• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha iTunes radio just played the same bruno mars song 3 times in a row.

Probably way late on this but...

Was assigning a custom ringtone for when my mamma calls me, and I noticed all the options to assign different vibration patterns...and the ability to create custom vibration patterns via tapping! NICE.
think they added the varied vibration in iOS 6 but moving them to contacts instead of accesibility might be new

RDreamer

Album view issues

I fully agree with this post and really hope they fix that soon. It's a pretty crazy oversight.

I have 60 albums for Porcupine Tree and going through them all is fucking nuts.

And speaking of music, does anyone else with Match have some album cover issues? I've got artists where the album cover is blank when selecting the artist, but all the covers are there when I drill down to the album list. I really wish there was a way to force individual album covers to check the match servers again if they're there.

RDreamer

Can you please post a screenshot of that?

here:
dbu6chG.png

NekoFever

Is it me or is it really hard to find a custom home screen wallpaper that looks good? I like a few of the built-in ones, but none of my mainstays from iOS 6 and before look particularly appealing.

The lock screen, on the other hand, looks great no matter what I throw at it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I agree, I don't usually play songs, I play whole albums...and when I hit an artist, I want to see just the list of albums, not scroll through every song on all those albums. Plus, the stock photo icon thing on the artist list is not so good.

relaxor

what?
I'm into it. A few things I like:

How the icons are hovering above the desktop and shift with parallax perspective when you move the phone around and stay stationary. Cool!

The way the text messages are animated when they're sent, like your phone is depositing them into the world. It might be a bit overwrought, I can see getting tired of it, but I think it's neat at the moment.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The lock screen, on the other hand, looks great no matter what I throw at it.
I kind of wonder why it can't have a black overlay option for light colored backgrounds. I know it dims the image but it's still pretty hard to read sometimes in certain situations:

#TeamBritta

Other than that, it looks really nice. I've even gotten used to the circles. But now "More bars in more places" means nothing.

The Rizza

I don't like how in the Music app, under genre, you used to be able to go to Artists and there would be an option for All Artists. That's completely gone. What if I wanted to listen to just a certain genre and have it set to shuffle? I liked being able to go to Hip-Hop/Rap, do All Artists, then All Albums, then Shuffle.

solarus

The back gesture is not implemented that great in terms of knowing which apps will use it and how many that support it. I mean on android you have that universal ever present back button, here on ios 7 sometimes you can swipe to go back other times the app is designed so swiping in that direction pulls a menu out, which obviously would prevent the new back gesture getting implemented.

Chuckl3s

I noticed on some incoming calls I have an option to Decline and others its just shows the "Slide to Answer". Is this because the phone is either locked or unlocked?

LCfiner

I don't like how in the Music app, under genre, you used to be able to go to Artists and there would be an option for All Artists. That's completely gone. What if I wanted to listen to just a certain genre and have it set to shuffle? I liked being able to go to Hip-Hop/Rap, do All Artists, then All Albums, then Shuffle.

that does suck. If you’re looking for a way to get that functionality back manually, create smart playlists (or just regular playlists via a selection) in itunes for each genre and then just go that playlist on the iphone and hit shuffle songs.

I think some of the choices they’ve made in the music app - like this one and the listing of scrolling albums under an artist selection - to be downgrades.

Kabuto

I just noticed Apple took out the Twitter and Facebook share widgets from the Notification Center. I get why they took them out but I thought it was pretty convenient to have them there.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just noticed Apple took out the Twitter and Facebook share widgets from the Notification Center. I get why they took them out but I thought it was pretty convenient to have them there.
I wonder if they'll remove them from OS X too. Shame. They should have moved them to the Control Center.

RedAssedApe

Banned
iOS 7 release actually caused our campus to have network issues earlier in the week. UCLA Network engineering guys posted this:

Yesterday's release of iOS caused significant increases in traffic loads across the Internet. As a result, many content delivery networks were overloaded. In addition, UCLA's network service provider, CENIC, experienced saturation on some of the links connecting CENIC's networks to the Internet.

We are observing similar traffic patterns today and expect that similar problems may occur today. CENIC is working to mitigate the effects of this traffic as much as they can, but many of the problems are occurring beyond their scope and cannot be addressed by either UCLA or CENIC. Until traffic levels return to normal, users might experience difficulty in reaching sites that share the same content delivery networks as Apple's iOS distribution.

Shady859

Anyone else??? Browses iTunes Radio sees no category that screams oh oh oh me! Goes back to SiriusXM app and listens to talk radio. Haha the old school hip hop channel is nice though at least...

IOS 7 is nice on my Mini, it's kinda ugly though namely the folder icons.. I'm still on iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 (lazy and jail broke to prepaid) my 5s is going to be so money when it arrives next week.

Aurongel

My friend who owns an iPhone 4 swears that this firmware has given him better battery life at no loss of performance. I guess a shiny coat of paint goes a long way towards masking crap performance.

NekoFever

Yeah, that disappointed me. They were handy to fire off a quick update instead of loading a whole dedicated client.

Dukey

Banned
Not impressed at all with iOS 7. Looks snazzier than the old OS, but other than that, bleh. Also not enjoying Apple Radio at all. It keeps repeating the same song several times or restarting a song in the middle. Why would I choose this over the numerous better options that require iTunes?

Talon

The back gesture is not implemented that great in terms of knowing which apps will use it and how many that support it. I mean on android you have that universal ever present back button, here on ios 7 sometimes you can swipe to go back other times the app is designed so swiping in that direction pulls a menu out, which obviously would prevent the new back gesture getting implemented.
It's implemented for first party apps so far. We'll see how third parties respond.

Angel Gamer

Neo Member
Sorry if someone actually answered this and I just missed the response but I'll ask again:

Question about the Wishlist feature in App Store now:

I've been using AppShopper for a while to track the prices of apps I'm interested in. What I really like about that is that it will send a notification when an app I'm wanting drops in price. Any idea of the App Store now does this? I know it will make a list but I haven't had an app drop in price yet to see if it notifies me.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Is there anyway to adjust the bottom tab/back bar in Safari when you scroll up? It's annoying me popping up while browsing gaf.

I'm using chrome atm and it's real simiular. Who copied who? I wish the tower, clock, and battery bat didn't stay displayed when I'm browsing horizontal.

mrkgoo

Sorry if someone actually answered this and I just missed the response but I'll ask again:

Question about the Wishlist feature in App Store now:

I've been using AppShopper for a while to track the prices of apps I'm interested in. What I really like about that is that it will send a notification when an app I'm wanting drops in price. Any idea of the App Store now does this? I know it will make a list but I haven't had an app drop in price yet to see if it notifies me.

I doubt it.

It's not really apple's business to do that. And they probably don't want to encourage that kind of thing anyway.

I mean, I use Appshopper a lot, and think its great but imagine a system built in and used by everyone... Developers would constantly be just upping and dropping prices. I mean even more so than now.

Phreaker

My only real issue with iOS 7 is how awful the new Album View in the Music app is.

Everything else about iOS 7 is either a net positive or a neutral change. But this album view thing is bullshit and makes no sense.

I totally agree. I don't understand why it was changed to this. I don't want to see all the tracks when I am in the first level of an artist in album view.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Not for me. iPad 3 if that matters. Takes up 1/7 of the screen and never leaves.
I force closed safari to fix this on an iPhone 5

Also on the iPhone it only ever completely hides in landscape. In portrait it just shrinks.

Noema

My wish list for iOS 7.1:

Cellular+Wifi. This was in the iOS 6 betas but was removed in the GM and never came back. Basically, if you are somewhere with a known Wifi network your phone automatically connects to, but the signal is too weak for data to be actually transmitted, your phone will use mobile data to keep you connected until Wifi signal improves.

Currently what happens is that you stay connected to Wifi but probably not to the internet since the phone will keep trying to use wifi even if the signal is too weak, forcing you to turn wifi off to use cellular.

Alternatively, I'd like the option to automatically turn off cellular data when connected to a known Wifi network.

Toggle Cellular Data / Personal Hotspot in Control Center: No idea why they decided to put Airplane mode in there instead of these. Or why they don't let us customize what we can toggle.

Chris R

I force closed safari to fix this on an iPhone 5

Also on the iPhone it only ever completely hides in landscape. In portrait it just shrinks.
Just rebooted and it still acts the same. Wondering if this is an iPad only thing... If it is I'll have to see if another browser from the App Store is any better.

Edit: chrome doesn't do it, just have to switch all my login info over and bury the safari icon since I can't remove it.

mrkgoo

My wish list for iOS 7.1:

Cellular+Wifi. This was in the iOS 6 betas but was removed in the GM and never came back. Basically, if you are somewhere with a known Wifi network your phone automatically connects to, but the signal is too weak for data to be actually transmitted, your phone will use mobile data to keep you connected until Wifi signal improves.

Currently what happens is that you stay connected to Wifi but probably not to the internet since the phone will keep trying to use wifi even if the signal is too weak, forcing you to turn wifi off to use cellular.

Alternatively, I'd like the option to automatically turn off cellular data when connected to a known Wifi network.

Toggle Cellular Data / Personal Hotspot in Control Center: No idea why they decided to put Airplane mode in there instead of these. Or why they don't let us customize what we can toggle.

I think it was removed, because bugs in that feature caused people to get massive data usage, even on wifi. It was terrible to those who had data caps. Yes, it would be nice as a n option, but I guess you absolutely need bugs 100% gone on something like that.

Control centre is not as useful to some people - they really need to have it be a little more configurable. I guess that will come in time.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yeah, add me to the list of people that really wishes CC was configurable. No idea why - at the very least - you can't choose the four app shortcuts.

Top Bottom