• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Probably really late to the party, and I might be in the minority, but spending more time with the os, I have learned to hate it. Drains the damn battery too fast, videos actually load slower now (really annoying), os does not feel as snappy, and the interface, as I said earlier in the thread, is too damn bright. Running an iPhone 5.

And now it's too late to downgrade... *sigh* I guess I will just have to deal with it. Too bad I only started realizing that I wanted to downgrade today.

matt360

I feel bad for everyone having trouble on their iPad 3's. I wonder why so many people are having trouble while a few of us are experiencing no problems at all.

Meatfist

My dad picked up a 5S and hooked me up with his 5, I'm mostly loving it but the battery life is ASS. I was expecting an improvement from my OG 4, but it's the same if not worse. Is this a problem with iOS7 or was battery life never that great with the 5 regardless?

Also, I agree with those who say iOS7 is too bright. There should be a low light/dark skin!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
One more complaint about the music app: Now when you let an album play from artist view, it plays the next album in the list automatically? I've been browsing albums by artist name forever, and now they've made that so weird with all the changes. I just wanna click the artist, see a list of albums without the songs expanded, and play the album I want without it being an endless playlist of all their albums.

How does one turn off the animated icons on the home screen? iPad 4 here. I totally don't get what they are going for with it and if I can turn it off to save some battery life, then good.

Thank you.

Symphonia

Banned
Is it me or is it really hard to find a custom home screen wallpaper that looks good? I like a few of the built-in ones, but none of my mainstays from iOS 6 and before look particularly appealing.

The lock screen, on the other hand, looks great no matter what I throw at it.
4rhvIjR.jpg

ADomGUM.jpg

Its similar to the stock wallpaper that Apple has, but better.

Safari kinda sucks. Tapping at bottom of the browser brings up the ui so you can't just tap anything once at the bottom of the screen.

But the best part of safari is swiping from left to right to go back.

Another good thing I noticed today was not having to double tap home from a black screen to change songs from the lockscreen, seems like just playing any music will always have it shown on lockscreen.

Not much complaints after a day or two on iphone 4 so far.

Kabuto

iTunes finally lets you search without typing in the search box. It's probably a feature that should have been there for a while, but it's still saving me a ton of time so props to Apple for that.

In 7.1 I want to be able to reply to messages from the damn notification like you can in OS X Mavericks. I'm still amazed that they didn't include that feature.

Symphonia

Banned
In 7.1 I want to be able to reply to messages from the damn notification like you can in OS X Mavericks. I'm still amazed that they didn't include that feature.
That's the one feature that needs to be added. biteSMS had that for jailbroken devices. If an individual can code it, I'm sure Apple can. It would make life so much easier, not having to unlock your phone to reply.

MarkusRJR

How does iOS 7 run on the latest iPod Touch models? I'm worried it lags since it has 4S internals while pushing a higher resolution.

My old 4th gen iPod Touch fell and stopped working so I wanted to upgrade to the latest one or pick up a 5C.

Guess Who

Banned
How does iOS 7 run on the latest iPod Touch models? I'm worried it lags since it has 4S internals while pushing a higher resolution.

My old 4th gen iPod Touch fell and stopped working so u wanted to upgrade to the latest one or pick up a 5C.

Runs fine in my experience.

Eusis

My old 4th gen iPod Touch fell and stopped working so I wanted to upgrade to the latest one or pick up a 5C.
Even if your 4th gen iPod Touch runs great you'll still need to upgrade if you want iOS 7, they cut it out of the iOS updates now despite still including iPhone 4. Even odds on either the RAM being a deal breaker or Apple being Apple and only bothering with iPhone 4 because they still sold it recently to quite a few people.

MarkusRJR

Even if your 4th gen iPod Touch runs great you'll still need to upgrade if you want iOS 7, they cut it out of the iOS updates now despite still including iPhone 4. Even odds on either the RAM being a deal breaker or Apple being Apple and only bothering with iPhone 4 because they still sold it recently to quite a few people.
My iPod Touch 4th Gen was horrible before it broke. It took 10+ seconds to load up any app upon the iOS 6 upgrade (plus massive battery drops and force closes for basic apps like Facebook or Twitter) which is why I was worried when iOS 7 came to the newer iPods.

Bgamer90

Banned
It would be nice if the font color in the music app changed based on the color of the album art.

Not really liking the reddish orange color of the font in the music app.

Eusis

My iPod Touch 4th Gen was horrible before it broke. It took 10+ seconds to load up any app upon the iOS 6 upgrade (plus massive battery drops and force closes for basic apps like Facebook or Twitter) which is why I was worried when iOS 7 came to the newer iPods.
It's going off topic, but it IS one of the biggest reasons I don't like the idea of gaming going more to mobile (namely iOS really) than to dedicated gaming devices, there really ISN'T a good cheap contract-free option that won't be obsolete sooner than later. But that's kind of what happens when you accidentally become a popular gaming destination with your premium high end devices in contrast to companies that actively want to get people in so they make reasonably priced hardware.

... Though really, that kind of frustration would be alleviated if Apple just kept reliably updating iPod Touch with iPhone and kept them roughly equal in specs even if the displays and casing were cheaper. If the iPod Touch 4g had the iPhone 4's RAM it'd probably have stayed relevant at least a bit longer. To me they're more a line of music players that can be backup internet browsing devices and low end game machines.

Resilient

Guys, wondering if you could lend a hand with this one.

I had to get my handset replaced the day iOS7 dropped, so I went to an Apple store, got a new handset in the evening. Restored a backup from earlier in the morning, everything going swell. For some reason my iMessage is stuck on "Waiting for activation..." and won't budge. I've Googled and tried some methods, which included

Turning the email off in Send & Receive and signing out, turning iMessage off, turning it back on and signing in again - didn't work

iPhone restore through iTunes - didn't work

Not sure what else to do here? My only guesses are that there may be a conflict with my Apple ID and this being a new handset, or something borking when I updated to iOS7. Using an iPhone 5. Any help greatly appreciated!

Eusis

iOS 7 runs extremely smoothly on my iPod Touch 5. It's nothing at all like iOS 6 on the iPod Touch 4.
Hell, I updated on my iPhone 4 throwing caution to the wind, but I'm surprised at how well it performed relative to expectations. Not that it doesn't clearly chug at times, but transitions run smoothly and I feel like some of the added features justify it (how in the fuck did it take until now for Apple to get auto updating in? Spoiled by my Nexus 7.)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Folders are bad enough now that they only show 9 icons per page, but if you delete apps, they don't even reorganise themselves. So now I have a folder with 6 apps on one page, and one on a second page and have to tidy up manually :/

Yeah, add me to the list of people that really wishes CC was configurable. No idea why - at the very least - you can't choose the four app shortcuts.

Its probably a security issue. You can access control center without inputting your password and I think if you added apps like Notes or something that might have personal information, it would defeat the purpose. I would definitely enjoy configuration though.

My bigger issue is that instead of the alarm clock, they have a shortcut for the timer. Do people really use the timer more? I enjoyed the bug where tapping that took you straight to the alarm. Hell, I bet the stopwatch gets more use than the timer.

On the iPad, portrait lock might be useful but I'd much rather have something else instead on the iPhone.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I use Spotlight a ton more now it is so easy to get to.

I mean, it wasn't hard before, but now it's jus way easier to swipe down, type something and tap the result than searching through my folders.

X-Frame

Is iTunes Radio down? It won't shows up or activate on my iPad at all, and on my iphone it says I need to connect to wifi, which I am on ..

Also, did they remove the ability to shuffle all songs in a Genre as well? That is annoying. Back to Groove for me.

EDIT: Radio working now, don't know what I did but it just popped up. Weird.

njean777

I hate the new multitasking, it is terrible imo. I liked the simple nature of the old style. It was quick and effective this version of multitasking looks great, but it takes longer to use and it doesn't need the fancy cards nor animations to be effective. As a matter of fact that is how I feel about this whole update, to many animations for no good reason.

Oh and the new music app is horrible. Why do I have to scroll through 5-6 albums to get where I want to go if I am looking at an artist from artist view. Who thought it would be a good idea to make me scroll through particular artists albums to get to a song?

The more time I spend with iOS 7, the more I love it. Seems like they really improved everything (except for a couple of the stock apps - namely Calendar), and it's really a beautiful & fluid OS.

Deku Tree

Just tried to update my Apple TV to get iTunes Radio. It crashed. Now I need to do an iTunes restore. But first I need to buy a micro USB cable. UGH.

Nicktendo86

Folders are bad enough now that they only show 9 icons per page, but if you delete apps, they don't even reorganise themselves. So now I have a folder with 6 apps on one page, and one on a second page and have to tidy up manually :/
There seems to be a lot if stupid things missed with this release, my wife is refusing to update her iPhone 5 die.to.the amount of her friends bitching about ios7.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I hate the new multitasking, it is terrible imo. I liked the simple nature of the old style. It was quick and effective this version of multitasking looks great, but it takes longer to use and it doesn't need the fancy cards nor animations to be effective. As a matter of fact that is how I feel about this whole update, to many animations for no good reason.

If you scroll and tap the icons instead of the cards it's much faster and effectively exactly like the old style of multitasking.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The new apps I've liked the most so far: eBay had a beautiful update, I still by a lot from there so the interface is great. Twitterific is really nice too, completely customizable, beautiful fonts, inline images and a tweet translator. Pocket Casts is probably the nicest podcast gatherer I've ever used, gesture-based and bold interface, syncs plays with Android and downloads in the background, love it.

tsumineko

My friends are complaining about too much "whiteness", being blinded by the new OS. Apple, a dark theme would be appreciated.

Apple really took a massive risk with iOS7. They need a dark theme, the theme they have now is crazy subjective, iOS6 and below really wasn't in the same way at all.

I can see a LOT of people not wanting an iPhone if they keep such a subjective theme going.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
My friends are complaining about too much "whiteness", being blinded by the new OS. Apple, a dark theme would be appreciated.

Apple really took a massive risk with iOS7. They need a dark theme, the theme they have now is crazy subjective, iOS6 and below really wasn't in the same way at all.

I can see a LOT of people not wanting an iPhone if they keep such a subjective theme going.
Yeah, the white is getting to be too much for me.

mollipen

If you ask me, that's exactly how it should work. If I've got an app on page two of a folder, I want it on page two. If I delete something on page one, I don't like forced reorganization. Things should be exactly where the user put them, and stay there.

Of course, there could always be an option for manual / automatic sorting.

tsumineko

Yeah, the white is getting to be too much for me.

I personally love it, but I'm a fan of the white iPhone and I have the baby blue leather Apple case. I understand there would be load of people who don't like that style though. iOS7 fits my setup perfectly.

Apple really really need to make it fit the black iPhone too. Could be a big problem going forward.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I personally love it, but I'm a fan of the white iPhone and I have the baby blue leather Apple case. I understand there would be load of people who don't like that style though. iOS7 fits my setup perfectly.

Apple really really need to make it fit the black iPhone too. Could be a big problem going forward.
Well, I have a white iphone, but it's not a light. The old flashlight apps on 3G were just a white screen IIRC.

Top Bottom