• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

So FaceTime Audio is kind of incredible. I've got my PARENTS and all my friends hooked on it. (You know it's a big deal when your parents can tell the difference). It almost sounds like you're in the same room as the person. I called my friend with it and got a "HOLY SHIT!" when he heard the difference in quality.

But did they remove the feature from the earlier Betas where the Phone app would automatically use FaceTime Audio if it detects you're both on iPhones? That was a huge feature for me.

My dad picked up a 5S and hooked me up with his 5, I'm mostly loving it but the battery life is ASS. I was expecting an improvement from my OG 4, but it's the same if not worse. Is this a problem with iOS7 or was battery life never that great with the 5 regardless?
If you're talking about going from an iPhone 4 to a 5, then yes, you will notice slightly worse battery life. A lot of it has to do with the 5 only having like a ~second generation LTE chip, which wasn't very power efficient.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
so i recently bought an ipad mini and i'm wondering if i should upgrade since i'm very new to apple ios, has anyone with a mini upgraded? could you tell how it went down?

LCfiner

so i recently bought an ipad mini and i'm wondering if i should upgrade since i'm very new to apple ios, has anyone with a mini upgraded? could you tell how it went down?

works fine. been using it on the mini for ages. there’s been other comments here about the mini running fine.

the older ipad 3 seems to chug on iOS 7. mini is good

works fine. been using it on the mini for ages. there’s been other comments here about the mini running fine.

the older ipad 3 seems to chug on iOS 7. mini is good

Which, to be honest, doesn't make any sense. Hardware wise, the iPad 3 is the newer product with a faster processor and twice the RAM. How on earth does it run the new iOS slower than the shrunken iPad 2?

Not sure if anyone else noticed but my iPhone 5 seems to take much longer to charge via the computer.

I remember it being much faster before.

Which, to be honest, doesn't make any sense. Hardware wise, the iPad 3 is the newer product with a faster processor and twice the RAM. How on earth does it run the new iOS slower than the shrunken iPad 2?
It's retina display which chews through that faster processor and RAM.

So the app autoupdate is nice and all but can I still see what app have been updated and the change log?

Yes, just go to the Updates tab just like you normally do. It'll show the apps it's updated along with the changelog.

Guess Who

Banned

The processor itself is the same with a slightly higher clock. The issue is the GPU - the iPad 3 GPU is basically an iPad 2/mini GPU with twice the cores, but it's still not powerful enough to push a 2048x1536 display as well as the iPad 2/mini can push 1024x768.

jiffy38

Still getting 3004 errors while trying to update my iPhone 5 through iTunes. Don't have enough free space to update directly on the phone. Anyone have any solutions?

Brandson

Just installed on my ipad3. If I do anything while updating apps it is very slow. It will take 3 to 5 seconds to respond to input. Otherwise it is mostly ok. Toggling between letters and numbers with the keyboard is sometimes extremely laggy as well. I'm not seeing any benefits that would warrant such a laggy interface.

winstano

I disabled the 3D effect (Accessibility > Reduce Motion) on my iPhone 5 and the battery life has gotten significantly better since doing so

dream

iTunes Radio isn't geolocked. I use it all the time in Canada. All you have to do is sign in with a US iTunes account.

Baconbitz

Banned
I'm listening to the Vergecast right now and man, they're trashing iOS 7.
Of course they are. If you're a mainstream tech site, the thing to do is trash apple.

Edit: I meant to post that there is a bug with the iTunes Store app. If you close it after searching something and, don't clear the search it will crash. To fix it, you need another "door" to open itunes. For example, if someone posts a link for a song in iTunes, click the link, clear the search, under the search tab, and shouldn't do that again.

Noema

Updated a friend's iPad Mini yesterday and played with it for about an hour.

I was surprised at how well it ran. And my friend loved it.

Because it has to move 4 times as many pixels. The iPhone 4 is slower than the 3GS in some scenarios too.

railGUN

Banned
iTunes Radio isn't geolocked. I use it all the time in Canada. All you have to do is sign in with a US iTunes account.

Yeah its fucking awesome.

My US iTunes account has netted me well over $120 worth of free games and iTunes credit (mostly iTunes credit to spend on whatever I want) via FreeMyApps, too.

Dez

Yeah its fucking awesome.

My US iTunes account has netted me well over $120 worth of free games and iTunes credit (mostly iTunes credit to spend on whatever I want) via FreeMyApps, too.

It's not exactly ideal. You have to keep signing out of the us store to buy apps on the Canadian one. I assume for auto updating apps it sucks as well.

JaseMath

Apple really took a massive risk with iOS7. They need a dark theme, the theme they have now is crazy subjective, iOS6 and below really wasn't in the same way at all.

I can see a LOT of people not wanting an iPhone if they keep such a subjective theme going.
I've been fighting the brightness controls. In safari, with the keypad up, it's SO white and it seems too bright, so I'll turn it down. Then, I'll have to turn it back up for everything else. It's ridiculous.

railGUN

Banned
It's not exactly ideal. You have to keep signing out of the us store to buy apps on the Canadian one. I assume for auto updating apps it sucks as well.

? It takes literally five seconds. When updating, it just asks for the password for the account you're not logged into (if apps under that account need updating).

For hundreds of dollars worth of free stuff, the five second inconvenience is worth it (doubly so when I can just use my fingerprint).

gamma

Anyone have this bug? The current day I mean.

image3njh5.jpg

bonesquad

A day later and I still despise the new folders. If the 9 app page wasn't bad enough, I've found if I try to swipe to the next page in a folder too fast after opening it doesn't actually switch. The icons move as if they are switching, but then instantly switch back. I have to force myself to pause before swiping to prevent this.

I also hate the icon animation after you unlock the phone. So damn slow. Again I have to wait for it to finish before I can swipe pages. Is Apple hiding load times behind this? Or is it just cosmetic?

Edit: Oh I also forgot to mention the space apps get for their name seems to be smaller now so I have a bunch of apps with names like "Carca....". Grrr.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My mom updated her 4s and the battery drains insanely fast now. I thought she was just being paranoid like everyone else but it drains 10% in like 15-20 minutes. Any ideas?

I use Spotlight a ton more now it is so easy to get to.

I mean, it wasn't hard before, but now it's jus way easier to swipe down, type something and tap the result than searching through my folders.
Same. I never touched it in years before, but it's become my preferred way to launch things I've buried in folders. The initial complaining about the change was baffling.

SeanR1221

Anyone notice messages are now under usage space? It says I have 1.2gb of messages saved. I deleted all of them and nothing changed.

Iacobellis

I'm listening to the Vergecast right now and man, they're trashing iOS 7.

Nilay is making excellent points, though. The animations are very poorly executed and can ruin the simplicity of the OS. Instead of moving seamlessly from app to app like I could with iOS 6, I'm now waiting for my Music to close, let the apps fly onto the SpringBoard, and then open Safari.

What is even worse is that closing an app is not consistent across the OS. If you close an app to return to the page it belongs to, then you are fine. It works just like iOS 6 and prior. If you close an app and are on a different section of the home screen, then the apps have to do their stupid swoop-in animation before you can continue using the phone.

Iacobellis

The animations have been so widely complained about I can't imagine they won't speed them up in 7.1 or something.

I wish they had used feedback from developers that tested the OS over the summer. I hate to be nitpicking, but the design is not consistent. Some icons are flat, some have gradients, the old keyboard is still there on older software, the Camera app is radically different than the other apps, etc..

It still feels like a beta to me, and I think Apple should have kept this under wraps for another year and released it with the non-incremental iPhone launch next year.

And the Game Center notifications are way too obtrusive. I have no idea why it is bigger than any other banner on my phone.

fireside

Apple really really need to make it fit the black iPhone too. Could be a big problem going forward.

I think it looks fine on a black iPhone.

The FaceTime app is all black, and it doesn't look horrible. It would be interesting if they had a black theme or a white theme for the entire phone. Personally, I don't think I could use a black theme.

Guess Who

Banned
I wish they had used feedback from developers that tested the OS over the summer. I hate to be nitpicking, but the design is not consistent. Some icons are flat, some have gradients, the old keyboard is still there on older software, the Camera app is radically different than the other apps, etc..

"Some icons are flat and some have gradients" is a silly complaint to me. Have you looked at iOS 6 icons lately? Because iOS 7 is way more consistently styled than iOS 6 ever was. Some iOS 6 icons are glossy, some aren't, some have DIFFERENT gloss reflections, some gradients go up, some go down, ultimately, this shit doesn't matter as long as it looks fine, which I think it does. And the old keyboard is still there on old apps deliberately, I would wager, just like (almost) every other old UI element is still there on old apps in place of their newer counterparts.

Iacobellis

"Some icons are flat and some have gradients" is a silly complaint to me. Have you looked at iOS 6 icons lately? Because iOS 7 is way more consistently styled than iOS 6 ever was. Some iOS 6 icons are glossy, some aren't, some have DIFFERENT gloss reflections, some gradients go up, some go down, ultimately, this shit doesn't matter as long as it looks fine, which I think it does. And the old keyboard is still there on old apps deliberately, I would wager, just like (almost) every other old UI element is still there on old apps in place of their newer counterparts.

But it is silly as hell when apps are going the way of the flat design. If it were like iOS 6 where apps were mainly a fuse of flat and gradient elements, then I would be okay with it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
One may argue the discrepancy is more prevalent when both are done in a minimalist style, and something as simple as the appearance/absence of a gradient is more apparent than gloss on top of much more detailed designs.

Top Bottom