• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Loving this update, just about zero complaints that aren't "this is new" for me.

And whoever programmed the 80s College Rock iTunes Radio station is getting blowjobs for life! So good.

Juice

So they broke the free built-in podcast function and it needs to be replaced with a paid app?

No, the official Podcasts app was a bit rough around the edges last year but has since been overhauled and works great IMO. Many people haven't given it another chance since.

But for years third party apps were the only way to fly so they still have constituencies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
The animations have been so widely complained about I can't imagine they won't speed them up in 7.1 or something.

I dunno. I've been looking at ios6 videos and I think the animations for switching and closing/minimizing apps takes the same amount of time. I may be wrong, but I think the effect of zooming in and out makes it seem like it's longer. :/

Mairu

I dunno. I've been looking at ios6 videos and I think the animations for switching and closing/minimizing apps takes the same amount of time. I may be wrong, but I think the effect of zooming in and out makes it seem like it's longer. :/

Absolutely not. They've added animations to things that had NO animations previously. Unlocking your device on >iOS 7? INSTANT. Unlocking it on iOS 7? Better wait for our beautiful fade in.

On the Vergecast one of them compared it to holding down the shift key when you do one of the minimize/maximize/expose/etc animations on OS X it completely slows it down so you get to watch it - that's what iOS 7 feels like. Everything is slowed down just so they can show off these pointless animations.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Folders are bad enough now that they only show 9 icons per page, but if you delete apps, they don't even reorganise themselves. So now I have a folder with 6 apps on one page, and one on a second page and have to tidy up manually :/
It works like the homescreen in that icons can be placed on any page you want with spaces if you want. But I can see why you'd hate them. I do wish it kept the same icon count. I also wish you could change the folder to an image, maybe some stock categorizational icons. Right now I use Emoji for my four folders. Tools, Internet, Media and Games. A wrench, computer, clapboard and Space Invaders alien. Would be nice if I could use those as the actual icon. I don't need to see a grid of tiny icons that only represent the first page anyway. Let me change the folder icon to an image and let us use normal sized folders again and it'd be perfect.

Particle Physicist

Absolutely not. They've added animations to things that had NO animations previously. Unlocking your device on >iOS 7? INSTANT. Unlocking it on iOS 7? Better wait for our beautiful fade in.

On the Vergecast one of them compared it to holding down the shift key when you do one of the minimize/maximize/expose/etc animations on OS X it completely slows it down so you get to watch it - that's what iOS 7 feels like. Everything is slowed down just so they can show off these pointless animations.

I'm talking about the specific minimize/switch app animations. They seem to take exactly the same amount of time but the only way to know for sure would be to do a side by side comparison. Regardless, the animations being half a second longer or even the added unlock animations are not very long at all. I think because the whole screen is basically animated now it feels like it's much longer but not necessarily so.

EDIT

Okay, i just checked out some videos. Having a hard time finding exactly just ios 6 loading, unlocking ect. but the end of this video shows the unlocking animation of iOS6:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAsFUJepRrg

and there is an animation, it was never instant. So I don't think there are added animations. I tried to time my unlock with his and it seems to be the same amount of time, but that was a pretty unscientific test.

subrock

Anyone had the iMessage activation bug? My girlfriends phone can't connect. Tried resetting network, using 8.8.8.8 for the DNS, signing in/out of iCloud. Some people say full reset but that seems annoying.

Talon

Wrong. iOS has had a home screen build animation since day 1.

I just bought Instacast after a GAF recommendation.

The fuck is this shit? Why can't I sync my podcasts with iTunes? One subscription is paid for and hasn't shown up on my list in the app.

Harlock

Safari browser in iPad works way better now. Really liked the changes.

And my Ipod Touch 5 dont get slow wifi speed like with some routers, like before.

Mairu

Wrong. iOS has had a home screen build animation since day 1.

I hit the sleep button to wake my iPad Mini on iOS 6

In an instant, I can see my device!

I hit the sleep to wake my iPhone on iOS 7

Wait for fade in before I can unlock :|

My terminology might have been wrong but there's no animations for waking your device pre iOS 7. And personally, half a second-to a second additions to all the animations does matter for a device I use as often as my phone

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

My terminology might have been wrong but there's no animations for waking your device pre iOS 7. And personally, half a second-to a second additions to all the animations does matter for a device I use as often as my phone
Yeah, I don't mind the Homescreen icon animation. But I hate the delay when you press Home to the point it finally fades up so I can see the lock screen. That's where the delay is. It's annoying. I don't know if it's because the phone is actually initializing and loading something or it's intentional but most of the time there's a noticeable delay before the fade animation even begins. Fortunately for me it's not all the time. They just need to speed it up a bit. Make it twice as fast. Maybe thrice.

mrkgoo

While the animations DO make it have a slight lag in general usability and is disconcerting at first, I quickly got used to them. They do help to establish context and hierarchy (yes listening to the Ive video too much).

After a bit I don't think it has impacted my use of the phone all that much.

I think the one word that sums up iOS 7 for me is 'delightful'.

Apologies if this isn't the right thread to ask but it's starting to get annoying now, often when I turn my iPad 4 on the screen will be orientated in the opposite direction to how it was when I turned it off. Screen rotation is locked, has this ever affected anybody else and can it be fixed?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
But it is silly as hell when apps are going the way of the flat design. If it were like iOS 6 where apps were mainly a fuse of flat and gradient elements, then I would be okay with it.
An icon can be flat and still have gradients, it can be both. Flatness typically refers to visual depth imparted by shadowing, beveling, glossiness (makes them look like a rounded button).

I concur on the animations, they need to speed up generally, and some need to go away entirely. Some are fine and lend to a nice object constancy (zoom in/out on task switcher). Some are pointless (I am looking at you lock screen fade in and fade out on lock.)

Edit: I still have an iPad 1 should I upda... Oh yeah :( still mad I never got iOS 6, I basically stopped updating apps since update all fails due to space and each time you update one it takes you back to the home screen.

mrkgoo

It works like the homescreen in that icons can be placed on any page you want with spaces if you want. But I can see why you'd hate them. I do wish it kept the same icon count. I also wish you could change the folder to an image, maybe some stock categorizational icons. Right now I use Emoji for my four folders. Tools, Internet, Media and Games. A wrench, computer, clapboard and Space Invaders alien. Would be nice if I could use those as the actual icon. I don't need to see a grid of tiny icons that only represent the first page anyway. Let me change the folder icon to an image and let us use normal sized folders again and it'd be perfect.

Strangely, I thought I would hate the new folders, but I like them. I guess every person is different and have a different way of app management, so the new folders can affect that. As it turned out for me, they are better.

I have 3 pages of apps. First page is for apple apps. Second page are third party apps that aren't games. 3rd is for games. Each page wi have folders representing categories or genres.

I always try to pair up apps of similar use on the screen. But there were always sort of lower tier apps that I didn't care about, but wanted to have around. Now Tahoe can go on the second pages in a folder! I love it.

Kunan

The 'blinding' comments blow my mind.

How the hell is iOS 7 blinding? I mean really.
The home screen, with its apps, feels like the brightness is permanently set too high. I'm getting used to it though. The green used in Phone/Messages/FaceTime realy irritated me at first. The white of the apps never bothered me, just the overly bright colors of the new app icons.

I'm getting used to it now though. The OS is definitely a massive step up in look and ease of use for me.

was at the app store and realized something... really the biggest con of ios 7 is the smooth animations really cap the limit of how fast the device can feel.

aka my year old iphone 5 loaded with apps and what not. is nearly the same snappiness as 5S demo unit at the store.

Noema

Huh, it's really weird. Somehow Safari on my iPhone became basically unusable. It's completely unresponsive. I tried force quitting it, restarting the phone, erasing cookies and cache and it's still unusable. It won't even load websites.

A few hours ago I used the new Chrome extension to sync my bookmarks via iCloud. I wonder if has anything to do with it, but even after disabling iCloud sync it's still useless.

mrkgoo

An icon can be flat and still have gradients, it can be both. Flatness typically refers to visual depth imparted by shadowing, beveling, glossiness (makes them look like a rounded button).

I concur on the animations, they need to speed up generally, and some need to go away entirely. Some are fine and lend to a nice object constancy (zoom in/out on task switcher). Some are pointless (I am looking at you lock screen fade in and fade out on lock.)

Edit: I still have an iPad 1 should I upda... Oh yeah :( still mad I never got iOS 6, I basically stopped updating apps since update all fails due to space and each time you update one it takes you back to the home screen.

Glad not the only one rocking my iPad 1!

It never would've handled ios6. It barely manages on ios5. That said, iOS 6 didn't really add much in a way that impact general navigation, though did it?

At any rate, it's still useable on iOS 5, and the worst thing ever is a total gimping use to upgrade. I would know, I used my iPhone 3G on ios4 until I got an iphone5.

The upgrade from ipad1 to iPad5 will be glorious. Likely I won't though due to resources.

Farslain

I still have an iPad 2. Should I update? Keyboard input lag would really annoy me.

Did our ipad2 the other day and I've regretted it since.

The few positives are outweighed by lag and battery use being worse, bright white everything and backlighting being used more probably to blame for the battery.

If I could go back I would.

Particle Physicist

Oh, you mean the fade in? That is the only new animation I can see, and you can actually start manipulating the screen as it's fading in. I am not even sure half a second was added to the other animations. Like I said, just briefly timing them compared to youtube videos seems like they are exactly the same. Will have to see a side by side comparison though.

Nilay is making excellent points, though. The animations are very poorly executed and can ruin the simplicity of the OS. Instead of moving seamlessly from app to app like I could with iOS 6, I'm now waiting for my Music to close, let the apps fly onto the SpringBoard, and then open Safari.

What is even worse is that closing an app is not consistent across the OS. If you close an app to return to the page it belongs to, then you are fine. It works just like iOS 6 and prior. If you close an app and are on a different section of the home screen, then the apps have to do their stupid swoop-in animation before you can continue using the phone.

This is what I mean by perceptions. I am pretty sure that both animations take exactly the same amount of time, but it may feel like the second one takes longer to some people because the whole screen is being animated. That also includes his complaint about the springboard. I think it is taking the same amount of time to open up the multitasking springboard on iOS 6 and iOS 7, it's just that iOS 7 animates the whole screen rather than just bringing up the spring board, so it may feel like it's longer to some.

I really would love to see a head to head between both OS's. Hope someone makes a video.

mrkgoo

was at the app store and realized something... really the biggest con of ios 7 is the smooth animations really cap the limit of how fast the device can feel.

aka my year old iphone 5 loaded with apps and what not. is nearly the same snappiness as 5S demo unit at the store.

Yes the animations initially make the system feel laggy. But with time you kind of forget. The biggest one is still the lock screen, but I imagine they will speed it up somewhat.

There MAY be a technical reason, like it uses it to mask the accelerometer turning on delay or something.

Ios7 was made with the iPhone 5 in mind, especially with the 5C being released - I assume that iPhone 5 level is the target for iOS 7.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes the animations initially make the system feel laggy. But with time you kind of forget. The biggest one is still the lock screen, but I imagine they will speed it up somewhat.

There MAY be a technical reason, like it uses it to mask the accelerometer turning on delay or something.

Ios7 was made with the iPhone 5 in mind, especially with the 5C being released - I assume that iPhone 5 level is the target for iOS 7.
Does a shitty job of masking it. I notice it jump every time I turn it on.

mrkgoo

Oh, you mean the fade in? That is the only new animation I can see, and you can actually start manipulating the screen as it's fading in. I am not even sure half a second was added to the other animations. Like I said, just briefly timing them compared to youtube videos seems like they are exactly the same. Will have to see a side by side comparison though.

I

This is what I mean by perceptions. I am pretty sure that both animations take exactly the same amount of time, but it may feel like the second one takes longer to some people because the whole screen is being animated. That also includes his complaint about the springboard. I think it is taking the same amount of time to open up the multitasking springboard on iOS 6 and iOS 7, it's just that iOS 7 animates the whole screen rather than just bringing up the spring board, so it may feel like it's longer to some.

I really would love to see a head to head between both OS's. Hope someone makes a video.
I actually have two iPhone 5 devices, one on ios7 and on on ios6 (my wife's). She'll eventually upgrade, but I guess I can make little comparisons in the mean time.

ramyeon

People are complaining about the lock screen fade in? It's literally less than half a second long. It's already faded in by the time my finger has moved from the lock button to the slider. In fact it's barely noticeable at all to me, as are all of the other animations.

mrkgoo

Does a shitty job of masking it. I notice it jump every time I turn it on.
True dat.

I see it jump too. More on the home screen. It probably saves the screen in a state it last left so it jumps back to default or maybe it jumps depending on the angle you hold.

It's not a big deal to me. I guess if t really bothers, you can turn it off. Personally I found te feature to not be as good as I imagined. I have it on for now but can imagine turning it off once I settle for my regular backgrounds, which are normally flat shades.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just don't like how you can't do things very quickly in task manager. You have to wait for the apps to be perfectly still before tapping/swiping, where my brain goes a bit faster than that.

mrkgoo

People are complaining about the lock screen fade in? It's literally less than half a second long. It's already faded in by the time my finger has moved from the lock button to the slider. In fact it's barely noticeable at all to me, as are all of the other animations.

The lock screen is my only real issue. It's because I normally use it just to tell the time, not necessarily unlock.

It's not insurmountable. Just noticeable.
Edit: actually, on closer inspection, I notice that the clock actually pops up first and everything else fades in. So it might not actually be the problem I think it is. Just perception.

Noema

Huh, it's really weird. Somehow Safari on my iPhone became basically unusable. It's completely unresponsive. I tried force quitting it, restarting the phone, erasing cookies and cache and it's still unusable. It won't even load websites.

A few hours ago I used the new Chrome extension to sync my bookmarks via iCloud. I wonder if has anything to do with it, but even after disabling iCloud sync it's still useless.

Definitely caused by the Chrome extension+iCloud sync.

Fixed it by deleting all my iCloud bookmarks.

Quoting myself in case someone else runs into the same issue.

LCfiner

I can see why. haven’t there been studies about how tolerant people are for loading webpages or search results? stuff like half a second or so can get people to ignore a site or get frustrated.

and unlocking a phone is something people do all the time, every day.

Even if the home screen animations are less than half a second longer than the old ones (and the fade in from sleep is brand new), they give a perception of slowness that some people are gonna find infuriating. (Myself, I’m dealing with it but I wish the animations and fades were 2 to 3 times faster)

ramyeon

I can see why. haven’t there been studies about how tolerant people are for loading webpages or search results? stuff like half a second or so can get people to ignore a site or get frustrated.

and unlocking a phone is something people do all the time, every day.

Even if the home screen animations are less than half a second longer than the old ones (and the fade in from sleep is brand new), they give a perception of slowness that some people are gonna find infuriating. (Myself, I’m dealing with it but I wish the animations and fades were 2 to 3 times faster)
I suppose so. That said I check my lock screen hundreds of times a day and haven't had an issue with it, and I'm one of those people who can't stand slow loading web pages haha.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just don't like how you can't do things very quickly in task manager. You have to wait for the apps to be perfectly still before tapping/swiping, where my brain goes a bit faster than that.
I know! OS X is the same way with gestures. Like I swipe left or right to switch between open Fullscreen apps and swipe up to open Mission Control, but if the animation isn't completely finished, (And it takes forever because it slows to a crawl at the end which makes you think it's done) it doesn't register at all. Makes it feel very clunky and slow. iOS 7's TM is the same way. Plus, what's with not having it go back to the Home screen after you close the last app? Is there any reason whatsoever to keep the Home screen centered with nothing around it waiting for you to tap it. And you have to actually tap it, you can't tap outside it anywhere else on the screen. It has to be the icon. At least iOS 6 let you tap the upper part of the screen to go back to your app.

And speed up the folder opening animation. It's just a tiny bit too slow.

And let us slide apps down as well as up for closing them.

Iacobellis

A gradient can definitely mask the flat look an app is going for. Compare the Camera icon to the Photos icon. The Photos app literally looks like it is just sitting there, as if it is part of your background image. The Camera app icon looks more 3D, as if there were a hump in the middle of it.

Akira

So I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS7, but the device locked on the Apple screen for more than an hour. Now it's in DFU mode and I have to delete all my data in order to restore my phone. Is there a way to avoid this? I really don't want to lose all my data.

Did our ipad2 the other day and I've regretted it since.

The few positives are outweighed by lag and battery use being worse, bright white everything and backlighting being used more probably to blame for the battery.

If I could go back I would.

Guess I'll just wait for now then. Hopefully they can tweak it some more in coming updates.

I still have an iPad 2. Should I update? Keyboard input lag would really annoy me.

May be this would help?

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-on-an-ipad-2-first-impressions/

Installation

Installation was a breeze. After backing up my iPad, the process unfolded as expected. It's noteworthy that iTunes would not execute the installation until a full backup was complete. It failed at first as I had to free up some space on my MacBook Air's drive. Once that was done, it went swimmingly.

Issues

The only issue I've encountered is with responsiveness. Tapping a folder to open it sometimes takes half a beat. Likewise, scrolling through thumbnails of running apps via multitasking isn't as smooth as it is on my iPhone 4S. Also, the lovely blur effect that's seen when you pull Notification Center down on more contemporary hardware isn't there on the iPad 2. Instead, you simply see a darker version of whatever is behind the sheet.

I also found a slight delay when pulling up a keyboard, especially in Mail and Messages, as well as when switching keyboards (alpha vs. symbols, for example). Note that none of this is annoyingly bad, but it is noticeable.

There's bad news for One Direction fans: my daughter's beloved 1D app now crashes when you try to play a video. But that's likely an incompatibility bug in the app. Or maybe it's a commentary on One Direction.

The good

The rest, so far, has been all good. Web surfing on mobile Safari is what I expect. Mail does as well. In fact, I haven't had an app crash or refuse to function. It's also notable that the parallax effect works, as does the "dynamic" wallpaper. A few of you had questions about that on Twitter.

I plan on spending more time with it over the weekend, but after a day's use, I can say that, aside from some minor responsiveness issues, iOS 7 seems just fine on the iPad 2. I'll have more after the weekend.

solarus

A criticism i used to see towards the old skeumorphic ios was the visual "masturbation" eg the shredder when deleting passes in passbook. However ios 7 is no better, all these flashier animations add a second or two on to everything i used to do on ios 6 and it sucks, it's no more pleasant of an experience.

Phreaker

You don't have to wait for it to fade in, you can swipe while it's fading in.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
A gradient can definitely mask the flat look an app is going for. Compare the Camera icon to the Photos icon. The Photos app literally looks like it is just sitting there, as if it is part of your background image. The Camera app icon looks more 3D, as if there were a hump in the middle of it.
The camera app icon still uses drop shadows that give the icon an embossed look(well recessed in this case). Has nothing to do with the gradient. Music and settings both have gradients and still look flat just like photos

Top Bottom