• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If my ipad 3 is sluggish an ipad 2 won't be fun.
Incorrect. Your iPad 3 is sluggish because it has an underpowered processor driving a high resolution display.

The iPad 2 will work fine. The mini does too. And they're basically the same. The 3 is the black sheep of iPads. Released too early before it was finished baking. The iPad 4 was what the 3 should have been.

Koodo

Banned
Absolutely not. They've added animations to things that had NO animations previously. Unlocking your device on >iOS 7? INSTANT. Unlocking it on iOS 7? Better wait for our beautiful fade in.
?

Just unlocked my iPhone 4 with iOS 6 and there's definitely an animation when the apps come in.

Edit: oh, this was already addressed.

Miyahon

Does anyone know how to turn off the GPS whenever I turn on the screen? I just glance to see the time or messages but anytime the phone is on the GPS icon turns on too.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
?

Just unlocked my iPhone 4 with iOS 6 and there's definitely an animation when the apps come in.
He is talking about the fade in from a sleeping device, not after unlocking iOS 7 addenda fade into and out of sleep instead of instantly waking the display on the lock screen.

LCfiner

for those concerned with individual app opening “fly out” animation speed, this video shows it’s practically the same as iOS 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZlxtPRWQ-o

the differences (not shown in video) are the fade in time turning on the screen after sleep and then, to a lesser extent, the initial fly-in of all apps from the lock screen to home screen transition.

ramyeon

for those concerned with individual app opening “fly out” animation speed, this video shows it’s practically the same as iOS 6.

the differences (not shown in video) are the fade in time turning on the screen after sleep and then, to a lesser extent, the initial fly-in of all apps from the lock screen to home screen transition.
Man that video really highlights how ugly iOS6 looks next to 7 too.

njean777

I like the new animations. I don't feel like my experience is slower in any way.

I hate the new task switcher and the fact that i cannot just swipe right to continue playing my music/podcast while in the task switcher. Also do not like the fact that the music controls are on the screen even if you press the home button once from sleep, that makes songs sometimes skips while in my pocket.

Well i see the difference right there that in ios 6 the fly out is from the middle of the screen nomatter where the icon is. In ios 7 the fly out affect is from the location of the icon

jediyoshi

I hate the new task switcher and the fact that i cannot just swipe right to continue playing my music/podcast while in the task switcher. Also do not like the fact that the music controls are on the screen even if you press the home button once from sleep, that makes songs sometimes skips while in my pocket.

I prefer a single swipe to bringing up music controls rather than using the task switcher + swipe. Less actions to do stuff = yay.

ramyeon

Control Center is a much more efficient way of controlling music than the task switcher was IMO.

dream

The music controls on the lock screen seem somewhat problematic for me too. I had earbuds in the other day and accidentally woke my phone while pulling it out of my pocket. And as I was gripping the phone, my finger blindly touched the screen in the magic spot that raised the volume to 100%, nearly ending my life in a lonely, grey subway station.

Koodo

Banned
The music controls on the lock screen seem somewhat problematic for me too. I had earbuds in the other day and accidentally woke my phone while pulling it out of my pocket. And as I was gripping the phone, my finger blindly touched the screen in the magic spot that raised the volume to 100%, nearly ending my life in a lonely, grey subway station.
That's really your own fault for listening to Christina.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Also they changed the response if the camera button. You used to be able to hold the camera button and release it to take a picture. This helped you keep the phone more still while shooting.

Now it just continuously shoots, I found this out by taking fifty pictures by acvident today :p

Nicktendo86

I like the new animations. I don't feel like my experience is slower in any way.
It quite clearly is though, especially if you have to open an app that is in a folder. I am not sure how you can deny that really.
Edit: I am being harsh here, it is not that much slower but there is a difference. Not sure why apple don't let you decide how fast the animations go, or whether to get rid of them entirely, like android does.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Also they changed the response if the camera button. You used to be able to hold the camera button and release it to take a picture. This helped you keep the phone more still while shooting.

Now it just continuously shoots, I found this out by taking fifty pictures by acvident today :p

I never did that. I always first stayed still then took the picture. I guess you would have to adjust how you took pictures

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Am I crazy or did iOS 7 remove the ability to have different email accounts have different tones/vibration settings? I am pretty sure iOS 6 did.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
So temped to update my mini to ios7 but I can't stand lag, especially input lag on the keyboard, ummm decisions decisions...., this is my first apple device and I love how smooth it is currently, hated the slight stutter I had on my android tablet even though it was reasonably specced.

I wish some things were faster. One of the reasons I jumped to the iPhone 4S was how snappy and responsive the OS was, and iOS7 is more sluggish on it. Also, a dark theme and better default ringtones would be nice.

LCfiner

Just to ask. Is this on iphone? On ipad only safari seems to.

Apps are laid out differently on the ipad so the gesture doesn’t always do the same thing or have anything to do at all. for example, messages/ contacts have a permanent split pane view (nothing to go back to) and mail has a slide out temporary message list when you slide back.

but, in general, most apple apps (and newly updated 3rd party apps) will use the gestures when an arrow indicator appears to go back a level. if it’s a text label but no arrow (see notes on ipad), then the gesture doesn’t do anything

the exceptions are the ones like calendar on iphone. (which is an issue itself, to not be consistent)

ramyeon

Apps are laid out different;y on the ipad. for example, messages has a permanent split pane view (nothing to go back to) and mail has a slide out temporary message list when you slide back.

but, in general, most apple apps (and newly updated 3rd party apps) will use the gestures when an arrow indicator appears to go back a level.

the exceptions are the ones like calendar on iphone.
Makes sense. The gesture only works on apps that seem to have "layers" on top of each other.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
My opinion that a lot of the OS is not that attractive still stands I think, but it's a non issue when everything is hidden away anyway.

hoUCYMV.jpg

Really love how fast the 5S is with iOS7. The animations have grown on me as well. I think some could be a bit faster, though.

I think a couple of my issues are that 1 - I wish I could access the multitasker some other way. I don't like double clicking the home button. Maybe a gesture or a button on Control Center? And 2 - I wish there were some way to choose what photos got saved to the camera roll and to photo stream. Probably +70% of the photos I take are to send via Line or iMessage or something and I want to delete the photo right after it sends. It's kind of annoying have to go go into the camera roll and photo stream albums to delete individual photos multiple times a day. I could wait and do a bunch in the future but I'm too organized for that ~ ~

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
That looks terrible.

Get a good wallpaper and order the icons in a nice way.

Why have a 'good wallpaper' if it's covered by icons. Also 'order the icons in a nice way' lol.

I will never understand people shoving all their apps into a few folders. Seems so inconvenient.

Depends what you access I guess. Or if you consider a single press to open a folder 'so inconvenient'

I don't understand having folders on page one and then a lot of empty space under it.

I have an iPhone 4 and I want that extra row of icons a 5/5s/5c gives you.

Give me your extra row of icons if you're not going to use them!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I like clean looking home screens too.
I will never understand people shoving all their apps into a few folders. Seems so inconvenient.

You were just wondering why people thought the half second fade in was annoying while you were fine with it.
The open folder animation is quicker.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I don't understand having folders on page one and then a lot of empty space under it.

I have an iPhone 4 and I want that extra row of icons a 5/5s/5c gives you.

Give me your extra row of icons if you're not going to use them!

I had an iPhone 4 and wanted the extra room for other things!

Sheesh, I hope none of you use folders or anything on your computer. So inconvenient!

Also like I said in another post, 5S speed + how the new spotlight works makes accessing apps easy. It's like Alfred / Quicksilver on your phone. Though if I could make it so the search field is blank with each opening of spotlight that would be better.

ramyeon

Depends what you access I guess. Or if you consider a single press to open a folder 'so inconvenient'
Well yeah I kind of do. Because folders themselves can only have 9 apps per page in rows of 3, so then you have to open the folder and dig around for the icon. It's much more convenient having my icons spread out over 3 home screens and then putting the ones that are similar in function in folders together or the ones I don't use as often.

I suppose if you regularly use Spotlight that makes it easier, different strokes for different folks and all. Just saying my preference.
You were just wondering why people thought the half second fade in was annoying while you were fine with it.
The open folder animation is quicker.
See above :) it's not about the animation.

Top Bottom