• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

I actually really like iOS 7. I'm really enjoying the much more simple look which is odd because I normally hate when things do this. (I'm not a apple fanboy, only reason I even own an ipod touch 5g is because I got it as a surprise gift last year on christmas.)

mrkgoo

I hate the new task switcher and the fact that i cannot just swipe right to continue playing my music/podcast while in the task switcher. Also do not like the fact that the music controls are on the screen even if you press the home button once from sleep, that makes songs sometimes skips while in my pocket.
You're just expecting it to be there. I get it, I do the same thing.

It will just take a little getting used it using control centre.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Well yeah I kind of do. Because folders themselves can only have 9 apps per page in rows of 3, so then you have to open the folder and dig around for the icon. It's much more convenient having my icons spread out over 3 home screens and then putting the ones that are similar in function in folders together or the ones I don't use as often.

I suppose if you regularly use Spotlight that makes it easier, different strokes for different folks and all. Just saying my preference.

Yeah I guess I just don't use that many apps so the front page of each folder is enough for me. It obviously takes an extra second to open something in a folder vs. the icon being on the home screen, but just a visual thing for me I guess. I like the space ┐(´ー`)┌

overcast

2 things.

Firstly, my damn music keeps running back when I go to browse the internet or unlock my phone. The fuck? Never had this issue before the update.

Second, how do I close apps in use? I double click the home button, but I don't seem to have the option to close them like I used to?

ramyeon

2 things.

Firstly, my damn music keeps running back when I go to browse the internet or unlock my phone. The fuck? Never had this issue before the update.

Second, how do I close apps in use? I double click the home button, but I don't seem to have the option to close them like I used to?
Swipe the "cards" up. I had the music issue a few times in the beta, I found force closing the app usually fixed it though.

Talon

2 things.

Flick it upwards - just like WebOS. It's in the OP.

Talon

My bad, should have figured you guys would have that covered. The music thing is frustrating because I always use my phone for music. So hopefully it doesn't keep happening.
Yeah, that's weird. Haven't had that issue. Maybe try resetting your network settings first?

Bgamer90

Banned
I will never understand people shoving all their apps into a few folders. Seems so inconvenient.

Funny since having pages upon pages of apps is more inconvenient for me.

Keeping everything organized/categorized is much better IMO.

BUdnxKiCcAAvEUV.jpg

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Airdrop pictures between phones is very fast. Works well

I keep turning it on temporarily on the train hoping someone near by has it on ( ≖‿≖)

It's bluetooth though, right? I'm guess they'd have to be like right next to me.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It would be interesting if app icons could use the alpha channel to act like the frosted overlay effect. Would probably be overused though

royalan

I just realized the Apple removed the ability to post to Facebook or Twitter from the notifications screen.

And now I miss that feature. :(

ramyeon

I don't have as many games as you do. Most of my apps are contained on 2 pages, I'm not saying I don't have any folders though :)

To be fair I do have a couple folders on my home screen. I just like having instant, immediate visual access to my most-used apps the moment I look at my phone.

SERIOUS BUSINESS.
Same here. Not opposed to folders, but I fill up that screen with my most important ones. The less important go into folders.

DarkFlow

Banned
Yeah I guess I just don't use that many apps so the front page of each folder is enough for me. It obviously takes an extra second to open something in a folder vs. the icon being on the home screen, but just a visual thing for me I guess. I like the space ┐(´ー`)┌
Don't worry, I don't like clutter on my android tablet.
You're not alone!

lexi

Banned
*involuntary shudder* ugh, that faux analog clock that Android distros seem to love so much. I'm glad Apple didn't steal that.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could change the color of the folders. I don't want it to mimic my background.

DarkFlow

Banned
*involuntary shudder* ugh, that faux analog clock that Android distros seem to love so much. I'm glad Apple didn't steal that.
It can be be anything really, I'm just too lazy to change it. I have that mainiy for weather, since I already have a clock in the corner lol.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Weird, it appears that dark overlays (notification center) blur backgrounds differently than light overlays (control center).

Hard to explain. White overlays appear more bloody for a lack of a better term

Edit: look at the dock row in both images

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Ditto. It's bliss. Since folders return to their first page after you close them it's a matter of training your finger muscle memory to know how many pages to swipe through to get to the app you want. Lesser used apps on the farther pages. All kept one one central home page. Been my dream forever. I had this on my old Android, which I didn't have many apps to begin with, and now I have it on my iOS device. Before 7 I had to have a second page just for games and a third page for never used apps to keep them out of sight.

I still miss the bars though. I don't understand why they changed them to balls. Especially since unlike the WiFi icon, (Windows uses bars for WiFi signal for some reason.) the bars were pretty much universal for cellular signal, weren't they?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Small annoyance - if you set a fingerprint unlock, you can't change the time required to input a password after the lock - it's forced to ask immediately.

CodonAUG

Is there any reason to use the contacts app instead of just contacts in the phone app?

If I need to supply someone with contact info I dont want to have to jump into the phone then over to contact, I want to go to immediately.

And yet you have Reddit on your home screen.

Touche. In my defense I mainly read DIY, minimalism, and design subreddits.

I dont mean a distraction as in a timesink. Backgrounds obfuscate quick ID'ing of labels, while the labels block so much of the background that it begs the question of why would I even bother having one? I can just open up my photos app and gaze at the things and people I care about.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hey Abed, I see you have your camera app on the first page. Since I always use the lockscreen to access it, and it's even in CC, I banished it to the nether-regions of my crApple folder. You use it way more than me I bet though, ha.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey Abed, I see you have your camera app on the first page. Since I always use the lockscreen to access it, and it's even in CC, I banished it to the nether-regions of my crApple folder. You use it way more than me I bet though, ha.
Surprisingly not that often. And now that you mention it, it's probably a good candidate for folder-ization next time I want an app on my home screen. Heh. I think it's because so far I still haven't been able to train myself to use the lock screen gesture let alone the Control Center icon. Maybe removing it will help.

Now if only I could get rid of that horribly ugly iBooks icon (Ugh, the wood grain and glossy shine are so early 2013.) and the outdated Plex icon. (The whole app will need a refresh. But I hope the icon at least gets flattened.) I haven't had any apps update since the 19th. Has anyone else gotten any updates? Did Apple take a few days off for updates? I thought for sure updates would be rolling in this week.

This is my current setup on my 4. Not sure If I want to change this up or what I'll add with the additional screen size. It's been like this for a few years. Folders are on the next screen.

PPt74LI.jpg

Surprisingly not that often. And now that you mention it, it's probably a good candidate for folder-ization next time I want an app on my home screen. Heh. I think it's because so far I still haven't been able to train myself to use the lock screen gesture let alone the Control Center icon. Maybe removing it will help.

Now if only I could get rid of that horribly ugly iBooks icon (Ugh, the wood grain and glossy shine are so early 2013.) and the outdated Plex icon. (The whole app will need a refresh. But I hope the icon at least gets flattened.) I haven't had any apps update since the 19th. Has anyone else gotten any updates? Did Apple take a few days off for updates? I thought for sure updates would be rolling in this week.

I had a few updates the 20th, and 7 of them on the 21st.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Episodes, 1Password, CrashPlan, Instagram (Which I never use anymore since they broke their deal with Twitter for inline image viewing. I just use Twitter for images now.), Google Earth, Podcasts, AirVideo, Remote, NetFlix (Not that it needs a UI overhaul as much), DropBox, Parallels, iBooks and Plex are the apps I have that need updated UI's and/or icons.

Top Bottom