• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

IceCold

People also bitch when things change. Thank god nobody listens to them since we'd still be using a command line if that was the case.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
well, aside from changing how spotlight works (kind of a power user thing), the multitasking screen and adding control center, they barely changed how anything works. certainly not the basics of app navigation, home screens, etc.

i think some people are so taken aback by the new look and animations that they think more has changed functionally than it really has.

Hm, okay. She specifically complained that her mail application looked different.

LCfiner

Hm, okay. She specifically complained that her mail application looked different.

right. looked different. but it works practically the same. same column view and universal inbox. same settings.

now, the calendar app changed a decent amount, now that i think about it. list view is “hidden” by tapping the search icon and month view doesn’t show the bottom list of items when tapping a day.

but mail is 99% the same. just more white.

SuperPac

Little thing I noticed: when you close all your apps on the app switcher and you're left with the home screen, the status bar pops up on the switcher.

Kind of bugs me.

Why would you even do this? That list is not indicative of apps actually running in the background. The OS is already shuffling things in and out of memory as needed. Clearing it out is doing almost nothing except indulging your own OCD.

Iacobellis

Why would you even do this? That list is not indicative of apps actually running in the background and that the OS is already shuffling things in and out of memory. Clearing it out is doing almost nothing.

Leaving the Multitasking Tray stuffed does slow the phone down. Despite Apple's claims, this is has been going on since iOS 4.

Quick

Banned
Why would you even do this? That list is not indicative of apps actually running in the background and that the OS is already shuffling things in and out of memory. Clearing it out is doing almost nothing.

I do it out of habit, and I like having all my apps closed.

Why do you care.

Man the performance on my iPad 3 is abysmal. I can't even get one number in on the lock screen before it locks up for 20 seconds, changing wallpaper takes equally as long to load previews never mind changing it. I don't know how much I'll be using this thing after this upgrade because its an exercise in frustration. It's barely a year and a half old... very disappointed.

Iacobellis

Man the performance on my iPad 3 is abysmal. I can't even get one number in on the lock screen before it locks up for 20 seconds, changing wallpaper takes equally as to load previews. I don't know how much I'll be using this thing after this upgrade because its an exercise in frustration. It's barely a year and a half old... very disappointed.

I say try to clear out your running apps and then hard reset the device by holding Home and Sleep until the Apple logo appears.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I just wish they would let me download zip files and open them on my app of choice. Unless there is an app for that function?

Angel Gamer

Neo Member
I kind of read while I'm scrolling.

I mean, it disappears when you are scrolling, right? Even the intro demo of Ive showed that it shrank when you began scrolling. That's a signal that you are actively reading the page. Like if you load a page, the buttons are there, and it disappears when you actually start scrolling. Then if you scroll back up the page (downwards flick), it appears again.

Maybe have it so you don't have to keep your finger on the screen, so it stays off when you stop scrolling, but after a certain amount of time it appears again.

Just something to stop having to press twice to get to where I want.

Anyway, I'm normally pretty understated with my backgrounds, going for flat gradients of colours for a clean background, but for iOS 7, I thought I'd go completely whacked out to match the icons, just for a hoot in the short term. Thing is, it has grown on me. I get all sorts of wild shades on the frosted glass:

bf40d1cbb28044762c7330a013d4e453147b1160ec.PNG

To balance out the overload, I'm keeping my lock screen understated:

bf40d1cbb297986ca35044734b3616e9193b0626ea.PNG

How did you get those icons/emoticons on your folder names?

You know what I want in the next few months, and hopefully not in a year? The iLife suite to be updated on OS X and iOS 1. for a much needed technical upgrade on OS X, but for a seamless continuity in workflow between OS X and iOS. I want to start working on an iMovie project on OS X, pick up my iPad, and be able to immediately resume working on the project on my iPad.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Why'd they get rid of the number showing how many tabs you have open in safari? Are numbers skeumorphic?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Because of no tab limit? Does the ios 7 have a tab limit?

Edit: yeah 25. Too many to list i guess
Oh. Personally I'd never open more than a handful, but that's interesting.

ecurbj

Wow. Apple advertised even during their press conference that iOS 7 would allow unlimited tab openings.

It still doesn't matter because I'll never open 25 tabs at the same time anyway.

Iacobellis

Wow. Apple advertised even during their press conference that iOS 7 would allow unlimited tab openings.

It still doesn't matter because I'll never open 25 tabs at the same time anyway.

25 is virtually unlimited in terms of open tabs/windows. I personally never have more than three or four open at a time.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Maps hasn't failed me yet using it as an in-car GPS, but it doesn't touch ElGoog's. Hopefully they'll throw lots of money at it, expand the ground truth teams and make it just as good.

My mother just called me to, among other things, rant about iOS 7. She hates how they basically just rolled out an update thats going to be required for compatibility that changes all of the interfaces she's used to, so now she has to learn a whole new set of routines. Says all of her friends feel the same way.

What say you?

My sister-in-law was just saying the same thing to me. She wants to go back and doesn't like the new look. She feels it looks like 8 bit graphics from the 80s with the flat look too.

Xun

Not having many apps can make it look pretty bare, but a good colourful wallpaper seems to fit iOS 7 nicely.
I think the iOS home screen is a huge step backwards, but I actually like how you have yours.

I still think that Settings icon is atrocious though.

Odrion

Banned
The main thing I like about iOS7 is that it's bright enough where I can lower my brightness settings even lower to save battery life.

Cromat

I haven't updated my iPhone 4 but I played around with a 5s and 5c in the Apple Store and the animations really are annoying. They should patch them ASAP.

I haven't updated my iPhone 4 but I played around with a 5s and 5c in the Apple Store and the animations really are annoying. They should patch them ASAP.

All the animations, 3D, parallax effects are disabled on the iphone4. It's basically just an improved color scheme.

Data is data. Once it's used, it's gone. Tabs can always be modified. You can add more, delete some, change the contents of one, all at no cost.

Don't call it unlimited then. You could say the same thing with 4 tabs. In neither case should it be called unlimited.

You can turn them off.

Are you sure? How do you do this? I read something about reducing the parallax but not the transition animations. My sister-in-law would love to turn them off cuz she complains everything feels like it takes longer now.

Future

People also bitch when things change. Thank god nobody listens to them since we'd still be using a command line if that was the case.

What apple could do is allow people to customize their phones more, so the people that were tired of ios can get it, but the others could keep the old (like windows classic mode to make things look more like the windows of old). People that like the command line still indeed use the command line since the option is still there in most computers.

This complete uniformity approach is getting a bit stale. Sure everyone's iphone operates the same and there is some good to that. But there is also some good in allowing people to like what they like, and not assume that apple is gods gift to design, with every decision being better that the last. If the new look was merely a "theme", there would be no bitching.

Don't call it unlimited then. You could say the same thing with 4 tabs. In neither case should it be called unlimited.

Are you sure? How do you do this? I read something about reducing the parallax but not the transition animations. My sister-in-law would love to turn them off cuz she complains everything feels like it takes longer now.

iOS 6 has the same transition animation speed as ios 7 without parralax

IceCold

What apple could do is allow people to customize their phones more, so the people that were tired of ios can get it, but the others could keep the old (like windows classic mode to make things look more like the windows of old). People that like the command line still indeed use the command line since the option is still there in most computers.

This complete uniformity approach is getting a bit stale. Sure everyone's iphone operates the same and there is some good to that. But there is also some good in allowing people to like what they like, and not assume that apple is gods gift to design, with every decision being better that the last. If the new look was merely a "theme", there would be no bitching.

I agree but I don't see it ever happening. Apple are arrogant and think they know best. It's the reason why Apple never uses focus groups and why they are obsessed with retaining complete control of their products. This mentality comes from Steve Jobs and maybe it will change now that he's dead, but I'm not convinced since they've trained a lot of people at Apple to have his philosophies.

LCfiner

i thought reduce motion only affected parallax effects on the home screen and possibly within apps. but not the fly in animations when launching them

Top Bottom