• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Symphonia

Banned
How is Apple maps?
I've used it a couple of times over the last month or so, and I've had no problems with it, and this was by foot, not by car. It gave me complete step-by-step directions and it pretty much took me to the front door of where I wanted to go. The overall quality of the maps is amazing, too, taking a dump all over Google's face.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If Apple goes the flat route with OS X, they need to ease the consumers in like they have with iOS. Making one big, unfamiliar leap will upset the majority of users (Windows 8).
Windows 8 has bigger problems than just a new UI. The Desktop side of things looks close enough to Windows 7. The problems 8 has are mainly in the shoving of touch interfaces down the throats of mouse users. A change in graphics on OS X would be nothing compared to that.

Iacobellis

Windows 8 has bigger problems than just a new UI. The Desktop side of things looks close enough to Windows 7. The problems 8 has are mainly in the shoving of touch interfaces down the throats of mouse users. A change in graphics on OS X would be nothing compared to that.

Well, I'm saying they need to keep the layout familiar, like in iOS 7. iOS 7 has a new look and new features, but the layout is pretty much the same as iOS 6 and before. If OS X 10.10 was a radical departure from Mavericks, it would be a mess-up. I'm all for them pursuing the flat look, just don't make me re-learn the OS. Adobe's CC Suite is already comprised of flat icons, so that's a start.

LCfiner

It's sort of shitty because, if you hear what old Apple teams - particularly the initial iPhone and Safari teams say - Forstall was the reason a lot of shit got done. Apparently he was the one that advocated hardcore for using WebKit.

And yet all the general tech public associates him with is leather stitching.

it became very fashionable to shit on Forstall after iOS 6 (which was, imo, a very weak release) but look at what his team accomplished for 5 years straight from the first iOS in 2007 (he was the guy who pushed for downscaling OS X instead of running a more barbones ipod-ish OS) up to iOS 5 (which was a huge release) and it’s a pretty impressive run.

I’m not saying it was a bad move to oust him, but, yeah, lots of people forget that his team did some serious shit for a long time.

I wonder when we’ll see him pop up again in the news.

Iacobellis

it became very fashionable to shit on Forstall after iOS 6 (which was, imo, a very weak release) but look at what his team accomplished for 5 years straight from the first iOS in 2007 (he was the guy who pushed for downscaling OS X instead of running a more barbones ipod-ish OS) up to iOS 5 (which was a huge release) and it’s a pretty impressive run.

I’m not saying it was a bad move to oust him, but, yeah, lots of people forget that his team did some serious shit for a long time.

I wonder when we’ll see him pop up again in the news.

I wish for another launch like the iPhone 4 launch. That was a massive leap from the 3GS. Retina display, HD video recording, 5MP camera, FaceTime, front camera, new design, and the first Apple designed SoC. Can't forget the iLife Suite going mobile. iOS 4 was one of my most anticipated pieces of software in a while. Wallpapers, folders, multitasking, Game Center, etc..

Android already had most of these, but Apple always does it right.

Gannd

Banned
iOS is really a shitty OS. For what is billed as the most "user friendly" OS why can I no longer just plug my phone into my iMac and pull the photos into iPhoto? iCoud doesn't work. Photostream is shit. Android handles this a lot easier.

LCfiner

iOS is really a shitty OS. For what is billed as the most "user friendly" OS why can I no longer just plug my phone into my iMac and pull the photos into iPhoto?

I literally just did this 3 minutes ago

iCoud doesn't work.

what doesn’t work for you? works fine for most.

Photostream is shit.

specifics of the implementation? would you like to ahve more photos stored there for longer? or is it too slow for you?

Android handles this a lot easier.

ehhhhhhhh. can’t agree.

Gannd

Banned

I'm trying to upload the photos to my parents iMac. It's hundreds of photos and I plug in my wifes phone and go into iTunes (after saying I trust this computer on her iPhone) and it says there are no photos to upload. Photostream is slow and doesn't last forever. I use Google+ as my online backup because it just works and doesn't mess with anything. But, I should be able to just plug in the phone and upload photos.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I'm trying to upload the photos to my parents iMac. It's hundreds of photos and I plug in my wifes phone and go into iTunes (after saying I trust this computer on her iPhone) and it says there are no photos to upload. Photostream is slow and doesn't last forever. I use Google+ as my online backup because it just works and doesn't mess with anything. But, I should be able to just plug in the phone and upload photos.

Have you tried Image Capture.app?

LCfiner

yes, you should.

so… if you open up iPhoto on the iMac, the iphone does not show up in the sidebar at all? or it does but doesn’t see the photos? weird.

try image capture app in OS X if iPhoto still won’t recognize the iphone.

Gannd

Banned
yes, you should.

so… if you open up iPhoto on the iMac, the iphone does not show up in the sidebar at all? or it does but doesn’t see the photos? weird.

try image capture app in OS X if iPhoto still won’t recognize the iphone.

it sees the iphone says there are no photos.

it also doesn't work on my wife's MacBook Air

LCfiner

image capture app also says this?

hmmm…. that seems like a weird bug.

have you tried turning it off then on again? (only half joking. try resetting iphone)

is it possible that there’s a security setting on your phone that is blocking this? is your phone password protected? try unlocking first, then hooking up to computer

Gannd

Banned
If I cannot get it so my wife and just plug in our phones to upload photos without having to go through any of Apple's bullshit. We're going to have to be done. I don't like the whole "trust this computer" if I plug a phone into a computer, obviously I know I trust the damn computer. I wish I could roll back to iOS 6.

I'm really liking the OS, it's really fast and responsive. I don't need a flashlight app anymore. :)
I don't like how big and white the volume icon is when adjusting the volume with buttons.

Gannd

Banned
image capture app also says this?

hmmm…. that seems like a weird bug.

have you tried turning it off then on again? (only half joking. try resetting iphone)

is it possible that there’s a security setting on your phone that is blocking this? is your phone password protected? try unlocking first, then hooking up to computer

It had a passcode and I turned it off. It wants to know if "trust" this computer. I don't know how to turn that off.

Vyer

it sees the iphone says there are no photos.

it also doesn't work on my wife's MacBook Air

They are all in the phone's photo album? Do they show up in Photo Stream?

Any computer should see the iPhone's photos in a folder when it's plugged in without even using iTunes, just like a digital camera.

LCfiner

It had a passcode and I turned it off. It wants to know if "trust" this computer. I don't know how to turn that off.

it shouldn’t prompt you again after you say “yes”. if it keeps doing it then something that’s not supposed to happen is happening. it’s not by design

Gannd

Banned
They are all in the phone's photo album? Do they show up in Photo Stream?

Any computer should see the iPhone's photos in a folder when it's plugged in without even using iTunes, just like a digital camera.

it wants me to create a new stream. but they are in the photo app.

LCfiner

seems like a bug with file permissions or security.

try disabling your lock screen passcode on the phone entirely, then reboot it, then hook it back up to a computer. maybe reboot the computer too.

then put the passcode lock back on. but this is not normal, expected behaviour form iOS and a computer.

Well, I'm saying they need to keep the layout familiar, like in iOS 7. iOS 7 has a new look and new features, but the layout is pretty much the same as iOS 6 and before. If OS X 10.10 was a radical departure from Mavericks, it would be a mess-up. I'm all for them pursuing the flat look, just don't make me re-learn the OS. Adobe's CC Suite is already comprised of flat icons, so that's a start.

I don't think they're under nearly as much pressure to do a radical redesign of OSX. The mobile OS wars is where the arms race is now, and "iOS is stale" headlines had become a tech blog staple in recent years. The OSX vs Windows wars aren't nearly as intense these days.

Besides, people would be way more upset about having their workflow messed up on their Mac than on their iPhone.

Iacobellis

I don't think they're under nearly as much pressure to do a radical redesign of OSX. The mobile OS wars is where the arms race is now, and "iOS is stale" headlines had become a tech blog staple in recent years. The OSX vs Windows wars aren't nearly as intense these days.

Besides, people would be way more upset about having their workflow messed up on their Mac than on their iPhone.

Not sure if iOS 7 can remedy the "stale" comments, though. The look is fresh, flat is in, but iOS still lacks functionality Android has. My biggest gripe is probably the lack of an App Drawer. It would make organization much better, leaving me with a clean home screen.

Xun

I still don't why the text on the home screen lacks a subtle drop shadow like some of the apps.

It would ensure text doesn't get lost as easily...

Iacobellis

I still don't why the text on the home screen lacks a subtle drop shadow like some of the apps.

It would ensure text doesn't get lost as easily...

Labels do have a shadow. They were missing from the latest beta but returned in the GM/Final.

Not sure if iOS 7 can remedy the "stale" comments, though. The look is fresh, flat is in, but iOS still lacks functionality Android has. My biggest gripe is probably the lack of an App Drawer. It would make organization much better, leaving me with a clean home screen.

I do not like the App Drawer. Besides, wouldn't make sense on iOS without widgets. iOS is an app-centric OS, why would you want to hide them?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting used to ios7 but I really really can't stand having safari obscure the URL like it does. It's crazy town. I think I've decided against upgrading my 4S. Not because of the URL thing but it's just fine as is. It's not even on the latest ios6 release and it has like 45 gigs of photos on it so I kinda don't wanna fuck with it.

Iacobellis

I do not like the App Drawer. Besides, wouldn't make sense on iOS without widgets. iOS is an app-centric OS, why would you want to hide them?

Apps that I barely touch, I wish I could hide. Apple is really pushing the layers system of iOS 7, but having meaningless icons everywhere sort of ruins that mantra. I could use Folders, now that they can be filled as much as I want, but I have yet to venture into that.

mrkgoo

I think iPhoto uses image capture in the background anyway. At least settings you apply I image capture affect the import into iPhoto.

There might be a bug in ios7 that messes with things for some people, but in importing directly into aperture as always.

And photostream itself I don't use - I prefer manual importing. But shared photostreams? It's a system seller for me.

My mum has an iPad (and now iPhone). She is not a computer person so managing files is a big hassle for her. She can't or has no intention of maintaining that kind of control.

She just saves photos from wherever, email, messages, Facebook all into the camera roll. It's a mess.

But with shared photostreams I can beam an album of my daughter directly to her. An entire album directly where her photos normally are. She no longer has to save from anywhere. It's awesome.

You're right. A lot of the criticism of iOS will resurface because the fundamentals of the OS didn't change. However this is the most attention an iOS release has received in years, so they bought themselves some time.

Guess Who

Banned

The home screen IS the App Drawer. Why do you want a "clean" home screen? A home screen with nothing on it is a useless home screen.

mrkgoo

The "clean home screen" thing will baffle me until the day I die. I do not understand. I never will.

I kind of get it - it's for those that want to operate their smartphone like a desktop computer. I prefer to have the desktop space pretty clean myself, with only currently used files on there, like a workspace.

However, in my phone, I prefer it to have apps. The whole concept of the app home screen was NOT to be like a desktop system with file management. Rather the icons were meant to be buttons on a configurable interface. As Steve Jobs introduced, the buttons on many smartphones at the time were the problem because they couldn't change. Thus a touch screen. Home screen for launching apps, and once in apps, the UI conforms to that app. Calculator with number buttons. Phone with large call and end buttons. Messages with a keyboard.

Having a computer desktop with a menu bar, task switcher, and so on is what they were shifting away from.

Of course geeks want that. And that's probably why android is so appealing to some. Even many consumer users like it because it's familiar to their windows PC.

As an aside, back to Scott Forstall - people forget that skeumorphic design was absolutely the right thing to do when the iPhone launched. I guess the argument is that it was perhaps taken a bit far by the time ios5/6 rolled around.

I didn't mind game centre, personally. The most offensive was the leather in calendar and find my friends (ironically has not been updated yet) And I LOVED the podcast app.

Iacobellis

I kind of get it - it's for those that want to operate their smartphone like a desktop computer. I prefer to have the desktop space pretty clean myself, with only currently used files on there, like a workspace.

However, in my phone, I prefer it to have apps. The whole concept of the app home screen was NOT to be like a desktop system with file management. Rather the icons were meant to be buttons on a configurable interface. As Steve Jobs introduced, the buttons on many smartphones at the time were the problem because they couldn't change. Thus a touch screen. Home screen for launching apps, and once in apps, the UI conforms to that app. Calculator with number buttons. Phone with large call and end buttons. Messages with a keyboard.

Having a computer desktop with a menu bar, task switcher, and so on is what they were shifting away from.

Of course geeks want that. And that's probably why android is so appealing to some. Even many consumer users like it because it's familiar to their windows PC.

As an aside, back to Scott Forstall - people forget that skeumorphic design was absolutely the right thing to do when the iPhone launched. I guess the argument is that it was perhaps taken a bit far by the time ios5/6 rolled around.

I didn't mind game centre, personally. The most offensive was the leather in calendar and find my friends (ironically has not been updated yet) And I LOVED the podcast app.

Couldn't agree more. Using the iPhone was complete bliss to me in 2007, it was almost second nature. Navigating a BlackBerry or Windows Mobile phone at the time was confusing a clunky experience compared to what Apple was doing.

Tigel

Is there a way to delete the update data on an iPad?
Long story short, my iPad decided to auto-download the iOS 7 update. I don't want to install it since I heard it's laddy on an iPad 3. However, the update data is wasting precious space on my limited 16GB.

Is there a way to delete it? Or am I screwed and forced to update to iOS7?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I was trying to remember how much progress ios has made, so I watched the original iPhone reveal... it really can't be understated how important that conference was. There were so many things that you had never seen before. Like when Steve is showing off the music app with the list of artists, and he says "So how do I scroll?" And when he does what's become such an obvious thing today, that audience had their minds blown. I don't know if other companies like Google had multitouch smartphones cooking at the same time or not, but the ideas that came from that hour were pretty monumental for tech.

One thing I noticed was that Steve mentioned widgets as a bulletpoint. Ever since, they've been so gunshy about giving us widgets. But now that notification center has separate pages, isn't that the perfect way to introduce them?

Sorry if it has been answered already, but how does iOS7 runs on an iPad 2? Should i install it or not?

iOS 7 runs better on ipad 2 than ipad 3

Why?

Because it runs on 2 without retina thus less load on gpu and ipad 3 uses iPhone 4S tech cpu and gpu.

This is y they got ipad 4 into the market 7 months after ipad 3 as they knew they F'd up

Tigel

Is there a way to delete the update data on an iPad?
Long story short, my iPad decided to auto-download the iOS 7 update. I don't want to install it since I heard it's laddy on an iPad 3. However, the update data is wasting precious space on my limited 16GB.

Is there a way to delete it? Or am I screwed and forced to update to iOS7?

Bump for new page :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They won't change the interface. Just the look. Changes in OS X happen over time. Even 10.0 was changed a lot from what the Beta was to make sure it worked like OS 9 did for the most part. They'll change little things, but the look of the OS might get a bit of iOS sheen to it. Not all, but some. Maybe.

mrkgoo

Bump for new page :)

To be honest, there probably isn't a way that isn't automated (like maybe a reset might delete it? I doubt it).

Doing a restore MIGHT clear it, but it also MIGHT just update your i[pad in the process as well, depending on how you sync.

For exmaple, my understanding is that if you updated over the air, and it's sitting on your iPad, BUT you sync with a computer, and it has been restored recently, thus having the iOS6 firmware still on the PC, it might just use that during a restore. HOwever, if you don't have the iOS6 firmware on your computer, it will just redownload it, thus getting iOS7.

You might be able to use a non jailbreak iDevice explorer.

LCfiner

iPhone 5 owners: Have you noticed any performance hits with iOS7? Any difference in battery life?

performance is fine. safari is faster.

battery life can be lower but it’s not something i have noticed since the betas, to be honest. I still see the same drainage playing music and browsing.

but it’s possible for ios7 to run battery down much faster if the background app refresh (new iOS multitasking feature, controlled in settings) has a ton of crap in it.

mrkgoo

iPhone 5 owners: Have you noticed any performance hits with iOS7? Any difference in battery life?

Speed is great. Keep in mind, while the 5S was no doubt in development, iOS7 development, especially for app developers was targeted with the iPhone 5 and lower in mind. Especially so with the 5C being released, I'm sure iOS7 really is focussed on the iPhone 5.

As for battery, I've taken a pretty big hit, but it's hard to know what from - some say it hits iPhone 5 harder, and thus would suggest a bug, but who knows. There are a lot of new features that would drain battery.

I'm using it much more, I have it on higher brightness now, and the GPS is paging much more often - the weather app pages in the background, both for itself and for notification centre. Also, it's paging pretty frequently for frequent locations.

I will consider turning it off, but I want to see what it does for me first.

for record, I got ~ 10 hours wifiw when my iPhone new, 5 hours 3G.

After nearly a year, I THINK I have ~ 8hours wifi now. With iOS7, I think I'm closer to 5-6 on wifi.

Standby is still pretty good. IT pages when you do stuff like pick it up and open the lock screen.

All anecdotal, obviously.

Top Bottom