• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

dkeane

So I've been using iTunes Radio and I like it a lot. It's pretty good about showing new things and not playing total garbage. On my phone though I have the option for playing Hits, Variety and Discovery. Yet on my Mac in iTunes, I don't see that option.

Am I just blind or something? Or is it not there?
Those options are there on the desktop version of iTunes. Just need to click on the channel

Using WhatsApp is draining my battery really fast, not that it is something new but that App really needs to be optimised for iOS 7 fast.

mrkgoo

Yeah, I noticed that as well.
Was kind of cool (and scary) that it labeled my work address correctly as "Work".
Hmm, maybe the traffic was what kept draining the battery, but I'm wonder what the purpose of Frequent Locations would be if not for checking traffic.

I always assumed it figured out based on addresses entered into contact sheets, because it knows my home.

Have you done this for work?

I always wondered. I have a bunch of friends on find my friends and t knows when they're at home...

As for any use besides traffic... Yeah, I dunno.

Number45

Anyone having issues with notifications?

EDIT: I should probably say, Facebook notifications (both main app and Messenger) not showing up at all on the phone.

mrkgoo

Anyone having issues with notifications?

EDIT: I should probably say, Facebook notifications (both main app and Messenger) not showing up at all on the phone.

I just checked and I got a few notifications IN the app, but not through notification centre, so yeah probably a server problem.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Hmm, didn't realise they took podcasts out of music, that sucks, I remember not liking the Podcast app when it came out so used Music exclusively for it.

How long until Apple start updating their own side apps properly? Podcasts, Find Friends, and iBooks are all stil pre-iOS7 styled, would have thought those would have been ready to go from day 1.

Iacobellis

Hmm, didn't realise they took podcasts out of music, that sucks, I remember not liking the Podcast app when it came out so used Music exclusively for it.

How long until Apple start updating their own side apps properly? Podcasts, Find Friends, and iBooks are all stil pre-iOS7 styled, would have thought those would have been ready to go from day 1.

My guess is once the iPod Touch and iPad are refreshed next month or so.

Teppic

Still not happy with the tab browsing in Safari. So many times I've just closed the wrong window, and have no idea which tab is which. They should have made it like the browsing through apps.

I also think the Navigation bars should be hidden at all times. Especially in horizontal view.

Tobor

Podcasts had a de-Forstall update months ago that removed the most hated stuff. The reel to reel tape is already long gone.

I look forward to seeing its ios7 makeover, but it's already a great app.

Time for me to sound stupid again. But I asked this a few pages ago:

I don't remember it being there before, but I now have a weird splotch on the side of my pictures now that I am on iOS 7. It is like there is a speck of dust on the lens that creates it, but the lens is intact and completely clean. What is most odd is that the splotch only appears on still pictures and not on video.

Anyone else experienced this? I have an iPhone 5 and it occurs. My wife has a 4S and does not have the splotch.

Answer was this, which made sense:

Not uncommon on the iPhone 5 for a speck of dust to get under the lens.

May not show up in videos because videos are a 1080p crop of the 8mp image, so anything outside of that crop won't show up.

But I played around with the camera some more today, and will post examples.
(click the pics to get full resolution)

Small blotch at bottom of frame.

Small blotch again.

Panoramic shot. Now, since it is supposedly dust behind the lens, shouldnt the blotch stretch and move with the image and not just be at the one end?

Even if I reverse the direction I am supposed to move the camera, the blotch keeps appearing in the same place.

So, does that still seem to be dust, because I would think that the blotch would stretch with the motion, but it does not. I feel dumb asking all of this.

Iacobellis

Still not happy with the tab browsing in Safari. So many times I've just closed the wrong window, and have no idea which tab is which. They should have made it like the browsing through apps.

I also think the Navigation bars should be hidden at all times. Especially in horizontal view.

I'm glad Private Browsing was moved to inside the app. More convenient to set than before.

zoukka

I really like the new safari. Feels more clear and better laid out.

Some of the home screen icons are atrocious though. The colours bleed and glare like thousand suns.

Yes, you get a 1 year warranty with Apple.

Will have to head there tomorrow. Right under the wire I believe.

EDIT: Just looked up warranty coverage on Apple's site. Have until October 14th. Phew. Same thing happened with my iMac. I had Apple Care on it and had the LCD start having issues with only a few weeks of coverage left.

NekoFever

dont get why they didn't just make command center as one of the NC tabs.

The fuck does 'missing' even display anyways? It always seems to be empty for me.
I was confused about this until yesterday. Missed is like a backup of the notifications on your lock screen. Notifications that pop up at the top of the screen while you're actually using the phone are treated as having been seen and so are only in the All tab.

Of course, all those missed notifications are also in the All tab, so I'm not really sure what the point is. A third tab could be put to much better use.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Will have to head there tomorrow. Right under the wire I believe.

EDIT: Just looked up warranty coverage on Apple's site. Have until October 14th. Phew. Same thing happened with my iMac. I had Apple Care on it and had the LCD start having issues with only a few weeks of coverage left.
Definitely make the appointment before then. But while YMMV I have had them swap an iphone out if warranty no questions asked, not guaranteed but it happens.

Also ask what the warranty is on the replacement, you may get an extra warranty on that.

Definitely make the appointment before then. But while YMMV I have had them swap an iphone out if warranty no questions asked, not guaranteed but it happens.

Also ask what the warranty is on the replacement, you may get an extra warranty on that.

Apple Store is near work. Will go there before and see what happens.

BikoBiko

So, does that still seem to be dust, because I would think that the blotch would stretch with the motion, but it does not. I feel dumb asking all of this.
Don't feel stupid, I had the exact same "spec of dust" kinda thing you have there a couple of months ago. I don't know what it was, but after a few weeks/months it was just gone. I guess it's just some NSA glitch?

LiK

Turned off a bunch of services I don't use and the battery life is way more improved. Probably even better than when I was on iOS6.

Andrew.

Banned
This password feature you need to input every time you unlock the phone is annoying as hell and really gets in the way of me texting while driving.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I was confused about this until yesterday. Missed is like a backup of the notifications on your lock screen. Notifications that pop up at the top of the screen while you're actually using the phone are treated as having been seen and so are only in the All tab.

Of course, all those missed notifications are also in the All tab, so I'm not really sure what the point is. A third tab could be put to much better use.
Third tab for widgets or bust!

Anyone had an issue on the iPad 4 where trying to click on the last post button on m.neogaf.com doesn't always trigger when you press and hold to open it in a new tab?

-griffy-

Banned
They will replace it but it's $49 if you have AppleCare + and if you don't have AppleCare + it will be $269.

They only charge you if it's damage caused by an accident or something the user explicitly did. If it's a defect they'll replace it free, and the dust in the lens would most likely be a free replacement.

Sanic

Can't find anything online about this...

I have my 4S jailbroken on ios6 primarily so that I can triple click the home button to sleep/wake the device, as that button is stuck on my phone. Does ios7 have an accessibility option such that I can sleep/wake my phone in some other way?

railGUN

Banned
Can't find anything online about this...

I have my 4S jailbroken on ios6 primarily so that I can triple click the home button to sleep/wake the device, as that button is stuck on my phone. Does ios7 have an accessibility option such that I can sleep/wake my phone in some other way?

Derp, never mind.

Sullichin

Still getting a very annoying bug that I've had in the iOS7 betas: videos recording without sound. It happens most of the time I record, especially if I make a video within iMessages. My mic and sound work fine otherwise. Anyone else run into this?

Noema

lol.

you know you can adjust the time of when password pops up?

i usually have it set for 1 hour.

Yeah, a lot of people don't know about that feature. It's sort of buried in settings. I think it was introduced with iOS 5? So a lot of people who have been using iPhones for a while might have missed it.

I set it for 5 minutes. It's long enough that I don't have to input my password everytime when texting or chatting via FB, but short enough so that I misplace my phone I know that at least it won't be long till it requires a password again to unlock.

SuluDance

Banned
Then don't text and drive.

463.jpg

mrkgoo

Time for me to sound stupid again. But I asked this a few pages ago:

Answer was this, which made sense:

But I played around with the camera some more today, and will post examples.
(click the pics to get full resolution)

Small blotch at bottom of frame.

Small blotch again.

Panoramic shot. Now, since it is supposedly dust behind the lens, shouldnt the blotch stretch and move with the image and not just be at the one end?

Even if I reverse the direction I am supposed to move the camera, the blotch keeps appearing in the same place.

It's because it's dust on the sensor that it's a blotch. You THINK it should be a smear when doing a panorama, but consider what the panorama is doing - there might be a section of the sensor it's using to do a 'sweep' live and collating that image into one long one, and at the very end incorporating the final image. Or it could be taking several images and overlaying them as you sweep. Either way, it's conceivable that the blotch is just incorporated out until the final image.

A single blotch is how I'd expect it to behave in either case (unless it's the former method and the blotch was on the side of the sensor it was using a a a live sweep). But to be honest I would think it uses tr latter method of stitching info - in previous panoramas I've done, where there have been moving people, some times you can see stitch lines where multiple images have been blended poorly. The blotch would show in some images but not others, so the stitching algorithm would probably just goose the parts without it to overlay the parts with.

solarus

Starting to really like the new look but I cannot get over how bad the new game center, photos and settings icons are. Unrelated, but they need to rename find my iphone, a stupid name for an app that locates any idevice.

mrkgoo

Why do all day events not show in my calendar section of notification centre?

Yesterday, it said an event was scheduled for tomorrow, but today it says no events.

Is it just for scheduled events?

Top Bottom