• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

iPhone 5 owners: Have you noticed any performance hits with iOS7? Any difference in battery life?

Battery is only affected by options not in ios 6 namely parralax and background refresh. Turn those off and battery life is the same as ios 6. If you still want same battery life and keep those on then get a 5s

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Battery is only affected by options not in ios 6 namely parralax and background refresh. Turn those off and battery life is the same as ios 6. If you still want same battery life and keep those on then get a 5s

Frequent Locations is the biggest killer I think.
After I turned that off my battery life improved greatly.

mrkgoo

Frequent Locations is the biggest killer I think.
After I turned that off my battery life improved greatly.

I'm leaning towards this being a major contributor as well.

I see that little locations item appearing in the title bar a lot, like a LOT. Checking it out, it appears that both weather and frequent locations are paging tons, and the GPS is a pretty big drain for battery.

BUt like I said, I'm curious to see what frewuent locations does for me. I'll leave it on for a bit, and if I don't see anything useful (I have traffic turned off), I'll turn it off.

I also want to get a better 'feel' for what my current battery life is. One run is never really that accurate to gauge usage.

Had it for a little bit now so here are quick impressions.

1.) New Safari features rock. Love going back-forth by just pulling the edges of the screen. Also love the 3D stacked pages look you can bring up with multiple open tabs.

2.) The quick menu section is awesome. Love the built in flashlight, use it all the time.

3.) Love the 3D effect of the folders as you move the phone around

4.) Love endless sized folders

5.) Battery seems to drain slower on my 4S. Not even kidding.

6.) Love Siri being hooked up to Wikipedia and the like

Overall, love the update. My only dislike is the Games Center bubble button thing.

mrkgoo

The thing with a lot of the changes is that it's mostly a perception thing. People are USED to using things in a certain way.

For example, the way I brows GAF is by navigating the webapp buttons, or using my bookmarks. This is hindered by the new safari is some ways, but it's faster if I learned the new ways. So rather than getting bent about it just yet, I'll try those new ways and accustom myself to them.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm leaning towards this being a major contributor as well.

I see that little locations item appearing in the title bar a lot, like a LOT. Checking it out, it appears that both weather and frequent locations are paging tons, and the GPS is a pretty big drain for battery.

BUt like I said, I'm curious to see what frewuent locations does for me. I'll leave it on for a bit, and if I don't see anything useful (I have traffic turned off), I'll turn it off.

I also want to get a better 'feel' for what my current battery life is. One run is never really that accurate to gauge usage.

Yeah, I tried it for a week with traffic on. Didn't notice anything.
I know someone said it warned them of slow traffic. I can live without.

And yeah, location always turns on when you look at notifications so it can update the weather. So far that doesn't hurt too bad.

Synless

They never fixed the iMessage glitch that won't switch off iMessage for my friends that no longer has iPhones. The problem is it won't send any texts to them until after it fails and I have to "resend as text message". It was fine in iOS 6, but since the beta it has been an issue.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has ckholer mentioned anything about changing the look of his GAF app because of 7?

mrkgoo

And yeah, location always turns on when you look at notifications so it can update the weather. So far that doesn't hurt too bad.

I'll keep your words in mind, as I'm doing an anecdotal test myself. I actually have traffic off, because I don't want it paging for data I don't really need when I'm out (small data caps), so frequent locations may be useless to me anyway.

Good to know, thanks.

Iacobellis

They never fixed the iMessage glitch that won't switch off iMessage for my friends that no longer has iPhones. The problem is it won't send any texts to them until after it fails and I have to "resend as text message". It was fine in iOS 6, but since the beta it has been an issue.

My dad was having this issue, but he switched back to a 5c today. I've read workarounds of changing the Apple ID password so the account gets "disabled" on the devices. They can then change it back to their old one, I think.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm not getting alerts anymore. No texts, no email. I have to go to the main screen to see if I have messages . No vibration, no pop up, no nothing.

Wtf?

you know... is it just me or does it feel like apple cares less about ipad these days? It's still crazy that stuff like calculator and weather aren't on ipad ios7.

They didn't really even bother with ipad at any of ios7 announcements or what not (well last event was for iphon).

Maybe next year it gets it's own 'revamp'?

you know... is it just me or does it feel like apple cares less about ipad these days? It's still crazy that stuff like calculator and weather aren't on ipad ios7.

They didn't really even bother with ipad at any of ios7 announcements or what not (well last event was for iphon).

Wait until next month to judge things.

Iacobellis

Calculator wouldn't be very convenient on an iPad, most likely why Apple has never included it. Just my thoughts.

I really like the look of everything and a lot of the features are nice, but the two problems I have are the two things I use my phone for the most. Podcasts and pressing play from the lock screen. Separate app for podcasts just kind of seems like a weird separation and only puts more of my stuff in different places taking longer to get to what I need, and having to slide to press play has been slow and unresponsive so far.

Other than that I'm really liking the look, even though it makes my 4 run way worse.

mrkgoo

Wait until next month to judge things.

Calculator wouldn't be very convenient on an iPad, most likely why Apple has never included it. Just my thoughts.

Pretty much every year, at different times you get "Is it me or does Apple not care about the iPad/iPhone/Mac/iPod/OS X any more?".

It has only been three years since the iPad came out, and just in the past year, they've release a new iPad design and size and upgraded the iPad retina with a more appropriate processor.

As for calculator and weather, I bet there is a demand for them, but why would Apple (who would've thought they were inappropriate at the time of launch, at least for the calculator) make them now, when there are dozens of versions on the appstore that are probably better than what they could make? IT's not like a calculator needs high integration with other services, except for perhaps Siri, who already probably does these things like weather.

I mean, you can argue about what it all means, but I doubt that the lack of these apps is a sign of not caring about the iPad. They're just low priorities.

Oh another thing
Cellular data is on the front of Settings, no more having to go to
Settings>General>Cellular Data

Bad thing Safari
Can't hold down arrow to go to last page of neogaf thread on new tab :(

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I hope 6.x lets you not have to unlock the phone with a code immediately if you have fingerprint lock enabled. It's kind of annoying.

it just feels like idk, ios still doesn't take advantage of big ipad screen. ios 7 is like almost a step backwards at parts.

like why does NC take up the whole screen? now?

ipad apps are great and are much better than apps on android tablets, but the OS still got problems.

ramyeon

I hope 6.x lets you not have to unlock the phone with a code immediately if you have fingerprint lock enabled. It's kind of annoying.
I guess you mean 7.x but I'm not quite sure what you mean by having to unlock with a code immediately if you have fingerprint enabled? Doesn't the fingerprint bypass the passcode lock completely?

mrkgoo

Huh.

I just looked in the frequent locations section under privacy, and now it shows some places I've visited, as well as my home.

It's actually kind of cool having it track and record that data. I'm going to leave it on and see what else it sees.

IT's granular, so you can actually delete places.

I guess you mean 7.x but I'm not quite sure what you mean by having to unlock with a code immediately if you have fingerprint enabled? Doesn't the fingerprint bypass the passcode lock completely?

Yeah, that complaint confused me, doesn't it unlock without a passcode now?

mrkgoo

it just feels like idk, ios still doesn't take advantage of big ipad screen. ios 7 is like almost a step backwards at parts.

ipad apps are great and are much better than apps on android tablets, but the OS still got problems.

You're right, I do feel that ios7 is more for the iPhones and smaller devices.

But give apple some time. They were behind on iOS 4 as well with the iPad - didn't get multitasking for some time after it was introduced on iPhone.

Their priorities ebb and flow.

Why not? You couldn't do anything else with it open in iOS 6.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
One thing I noticed was that Steve mentioned widgets as a bulletpoint. Ever since, they've been so gunshy about giving us widgets. But now that notification center has separate pages, isn't that the perfect way to introduce them?

I wouldn't be surprised if te reason why the Facebook/twitter widgets were removed were because they are working on an API and they didn't want to waste resources integrating just those two widgets.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm trying to upload the photos to my parents iMac. It's hundreds of photos and I plug in my wifes phone and go into iTunes (after saying I trust this computer on her iPhone) and it says there are no photos to upload. Photostream is slow and doesn't last forever. I use Google+ as my online backup because it just works and doesn't mess with anything. But, I should be able to just plug in the phone and upload photos.

USE IMAGE CAPTURE

ramyeon

kills the battery quickly on my 5th gen ipod. i miss just double clicking from any screen to see the music controls. i dont like the upswipe thing.
I just can't get my head around this. It's not the first time I've heard it, but why do you miss something that was far less convenient?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Yeah, that complaint confused me, doesn't it unlock without a passcode now?

Haha sorry, 7.x

And with fingerprint enabled, you can use your fingerprint or your passcode, but you can't change the time where an unlock code is not required. So if you lock your phone and .5 seconds later you get a text, you still have to unlock it.

Not that inconvenient I guess. Out of habit, though, I do the slide to unlock gesture and expect it to not have to input a passcode, which I have to now. Once I get used to unlocking with fingerprint on the lockscreen (you don't have to slide to unlock at all for fingerprint to be recognized) then it should be as fast I guess.

ramyeon

Haha sorry, 7.x

And with fingerprint enabled, you can use your fingerprint or your passcode, but you can't change the time where an unlock code is not required. So if you lock your phone and .5 seconds later you get a text, you still have to unlock it.

Not that inconvenient I guess. Out of habit, though, I do the slide to unlock gesture and expect it to not have to input a passcode, which I have to now. Once I get used to unlocking with fingerprint on the lockscreen (you don't have to slide to unlock at all for fingerprint to be recognized) then it should be as fast I guess.
Ah okay, I get it now. Yeah I guess since the fingerprint unlocking is so much faster you just have to get used to not sliding to unlock, I can imagine that being pretty hard after so many years of doing that gesture lol.
Also wears our your home button faster. It's just a new thing you have to learn!
Haha yeah, and the home button always seems to be the first thing to go on iDevices. Actually it feels like the cheapest component, glad to hear reports that the new 5s home button supposedly feels more sturdy and well made.

mrkgoo

So what happens on the 5S with finger print enabled when you ht the home button? The lock screen appears - is there still a slide to unlock text? Or does it say 'place finger on home button' or something?

dont get why they didn't just make command center as one of the NC tabs.

The fuck does 'missing' even display anyways? It always seems to be empty for me.

So what happens on the 5S with finger print enabled when you ht the home button? The lock screen appears - is there still a slide to unlock text? Or does it say 'place finger on home button' or something?

You can either slide to unlock and enter a passcode or place your finger on the home button.

jediyoshi

i miss just double clicking from any screen to see the music controls. i dont like the upswipe thing.

..you can upswipe from any screen as well. Was 'just' supposed to imply that hitting a button twice and then using a swipe was somehow less of a hassle than swiping up once? Nothing's stopping you from continuing to hit the home button twice and then upswiping :p

Anno

I know Siri gets a lot of shit, but I think it's a much improved service on 7. Much faster, too. Will definitely be using it more often now.

So I've been using iTunes Radio and I like it a lot. It's pretty good about showing new things and not playing total garbage. On my phone though I have the option for playing Hits, Variety and Discovery. Yet on my Mac in iTunes, I don't see that option.

Am I just blind or something? Or is it not there?

lexi

Banned
I know Siri gets a lot of shit, but I think it's a much improved service on 7. Much faster, too. Will definitely be using it more often now.

Agreed, I used it a bit on the weekend and it's leagues ahead of what it was in iOS 6. It actually correctly understands me 98% of the time now, as opposed to maybe 80% at best.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Huh.

I just looked in the frequent locations section under privacy, and now it shows some places I've visited, as well as my home.

It's actually kind of cool having it track and record that data. I'm going to leave it on and see what else it sees.

IT's granular, so you can actually delete places.

Yeah, I noticed that as well.
Was kind of cool (and scary) that it labeled my work address correctly as "Work".
Hmm, maybe the traffic was what kept draining the battery, but I'm wonder what the purpose of Frequent Locations would be if not for checking traffic.

Top Bottom