• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Phreaker

Will have to head there tomorrow. Right under the wire I believe.

EDIT: Just looked up warranty coverage on Apple's site. Have until October 14th. Phew. Same thing happened with my iMac. I had Apple Care on it and had the LCD start having issues with only a few weeks of coverage left.

Yeah, I had the same thing and they replaced my phone about two weeks ago. I only had a short time left too, until tomorrow I think.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Podcasts had a de-Forstall update months ago that removed the most hated stuff. The reel to reel tape is already long gone.

I look forward to seeing its ios7 makeover, but it's already a great app.

Ah, that's good then, I haven't given it a go yet but I have it downloaded for my next podcast listen'athon.

What the fuck is up with the keyboard. I never made this many typos on ios6 on my ipad (4).

Also the other day it corrected "of course" to "ocular horse". Wtf.

What the fuck is up with the keyboard. I never made this many typos on ios6 on my ipad (4).

I'm finding it much harder to type as well (on a 4S). There's far too little contrast to easily see the definition between keys. The darker keyboard for passwords and spotlight searches is a like a slap in the face every time it pops up, it's so much better (although still not ideal).

Pachimari

The Game Center app is useless to me yeah, I wish they would add messaging in there, then it would be interesting, as you could have gamer friends on there.

And yup, it's much harder typing in iOS 7 but besides that, I absolutely love it.

Erebus

It looks like that if you disallow the weather app from using the Location Services, the weather info is no longer available on the notification center. This is silly, why can't it just provide info for the first area which is set in the weather app? That was the way it worked in iOS 6.

InertiaXr

My girlfriend updated our iPad to this iOS 7 last night, and now there is no way to play an entire season of a TV series at once? You have to select every individual episode, why? It's a pain in the ass when making lunch or dinner for my son, normally he watches multiple 10 minute episodes of shows but now I have to go monitor the iPad over and over, why?

My girlfriend updated our iPad to this iOS 7 last night, and now there is no way to play an entire season of a TV series at once? You have to select every individual episode, why? It's a pain in the ass when making lunch or dinner for my son, normally he watches multiple 10 minute episodes of shows but now I have to go monitor the iPad over and over, why?

Apple changed too much for their own good, I honestly dislike most of iOS 7 apart from the slide up menu shortcuts for bluetooth and screen brightness.

Nothing more annoying than the new "Welcome back..." notification. Why is it bigger than every other banner?

I was playing games on my 5 the other day using airplay, the welcoem back and other gamecenter notices at the top of the screen must have filled about 30% of the screen every time, yeah way too big.

My sister on her iPhone 4 also says that photos now blur like shit when they used to be rather clear and crisp, not noticed that on my 5 yet.

I'm finding it much harder to type as well (on a 4S). There's far too little contrast to easily see the definition between keys. The darker keyboard for passwords and spotlight searches is a like a slap in the face every time it pops up, it's so much better (although still not ideal).

It's very interesting seeing other people's experiences. I'm on the opposite end, making far less typos with the knew keyboard.

I'm noticing right now, as I browse GAF with Chrome, the background for the keyboard is a nice shade of gray.

iPhone 5 owners: Have you noticed any performance hits with iOS7? Any difference in battery life?

Not had a good chance to take it out and about yet but performance feels pretty much the same for games, if I had to guess it might use a little more juice outside of apps to do that frosted glass effect everywhere when things are on screen.

Is there any way to increase the parallax settings? The example of it on apple's site shows the picture really having depth, being "box-like", but when in actual use on my phone, the picture just slides up and down a few pixels.

solarus

Is there any way to increase the parallax settings? The example of it on apple's site shows the picture really having depth, being "box-like", but when in actual use on my phone, the picture just slides up and down a few pixels.
This. Was underwhelemed after hearing people big it up.

Hated iOS 7 the first few days, now it's finally growing on me. For some reason my iphone 5 ran like shit the first few days with it but now it's cruising again.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I brought my iPhone 5 in for a broken power button circa Sep 10th. Got it swapped out, no problem. Went on vacation. During vacation, replacement phone began going mental. Grey squares all across the top 10% of the screen, touch screen freaking out.

Here's the problem; my warranty ran out on Sep 20th.

Any chance they'll do an out-of-warranty repair owing to the fact that the replacement phone they gave me a couple weeks ago was a lemon?

matt360

Is there any way to turn off the "performance would improve if you turn on wifi" messages that I'm constantly being bombarded with every time I open the Facebook app, or any other app that uses location services? And "turn off location services" is not the answer I'm looking for.

Also, literally every time I plug my phone into my computer to charge, it asks me if I "trust this computer" It's the same goddamn computer every time! Why would I trust it one day and not trust it the next?! These messages are really starting to piss me off.

Please somebody tell me how to turn these messages off.

I brought my iPhone 5 in for a broken power button circa Sep 10th. Got it swapped out, no problem. Went on vacation. During vacation, replacement phone began going mental. Grey squares all across the top 10% of the screen, touch screen freaking out.

Any chance they'll do an out-of-warranty repair owing to the fact that the replacement phone they gave me a couple weeks ago was a lemon?

You get 90 days warranty for a replacement IIRC

Talon

As nhlducks said, you get 90 days for the warranty replacement. So you're not caught SOLO.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You get 90 days warranty for a replacement IIRC

Thank you so much (all three of you). The rest of my vacation will be much better knowing I'm not coming back to walk into a massive bill. I was having daydreams about having to buy some cheap-ass Android to hold me over, it was terrible.

kingocfs

Anyone having problems with synced songs on Spotify? Not sure if it's even iOS 7, but ever since I started using the 5S a lot of my synced tracks just don't play.

I'm going to try re-syncing them.

DasRaven

Anyone having problems with synced songs on Spotify? Not sure if it's even iOS 7, but ever since I started using the 5S a lot of my synced tracks just don't play.

I'm going to try re-syncing them.

No, but ios7 seems to have all kinds of problems syncing basic smart playlists, so I wouldn't be surprised. Only 1 of my 3 regular playlists currently works at all.

LiK

Music app was suddenly unresponsive during playback and i had to exit through Home screen. That was pretty weird.

mackaveli

I have a iPhone 4 with jail broken on 6.1.1 or something like that.

I really want to install iOS 7 on it and not screw up my phone. I don't care about the jail broken stuff. I only care about my contacts, texts, pictures, emails etc., on it.

How do I do this without screwing up my phone?

Thanks.

I have a iPhone 4 with jail broken on 6.1.1 or something like that.

I really want to install iOS 7 on it and not screw up my phone. I don't care about the jail broken stuff. I only care about my contacts, texts, pictures, emails etc., on it.

How do I do this without screwing up my phone?

Thanks.

I would backup to iCloud, and then restore your phone. Then, restore from your iCloud backup. It'll keep all your settings, photos, contacts etc. but will not keep any of your jailbreak leftovers.

mackaveli

I would backup to iCloud, and then restore your phone. Then, restore from your iCloud backup. It'll keep all your settings, photos, contacts etc. but will not keep any of your jailbreak leftovers.

I don't have iCloud since I only have iPhone 4? I don't think I get it?

Can I just backup my phone with iTunes then download the update?

Any other gaffers with tips on how to do this?

I plan on upgrading to the 5S in December but would like to use iOS7 until than.

meow

Upgraded an iPad "3" to 7 and everything is soooo laggy. omfg

I seriously wish I hadn't updated, so far 7 sucks. I don't care for what they've added enough to make up for the horrible decrease in performance.
Just needed to rant.

RedAssedApe

Banned
How much slower is this on a 4s?

i've read that 4s performance is pretty good. i have a 4 and it has been working fine for me as a daily driver. the only thing i noticed performance wise is that apps seem to take longer to launch for the first time and same for one you wake up from a locked phone that was sleeping. battery life was about the same as ios 6.

Iacobellis

I don't have iCloud since I only have iPhone 4? I don't think I get it?

Can I just backup my phone with iTunes then download the update?

Any other gaffers with tips on how to do this?

I plan on upgrading to the 5S in December but would like to use iOS7 until than.

Every iDevice capable of running iOS 5 can support iCloud. You get 5GB of free storage.

Noema

i don't have the iCloud app on my phone and can't find it on the app store.

It doesn't work like that. iCloud is bound to your Apple account and works as a base service on your phone. You can find it under Settings>iCloud.

iCloud will let you automatically create a backup of your settings and app data just like the one you can do through iTunes.

It'll also sync several items such as contacts, bookmarks, calendars, reminders, notes and photos across your iOS devices and computers.

Finally, iCloud also provides 'hooks' for 3rd party apps to sync data if you have several iOS devices, so if, say, you have an iPhone and an iPad, and you have a game that runs on both, the game could use iCloud to automatically sync saved games among devices.

The weather app is not working correctly. It's 2am, yet it's showing a daytime background. My default location says Montgomery, which I assume is somehow related to the nearby Montgomery Village neighborhood; I do not live there. I cannot delete this or make my actual town the top, default window. I cannot add any new locations; searching for names or zip codes show No Results Found.

I have updates in the App store to automatic but whenever I open the App store (via Wifi nonetheless), it shows Pending Updates that I have to manually press UPDATE for. What gives?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I have updates in the App store to automatic but whenever I open the App store (via Wifi nonetheless), it shows Pending Updates that I have to manually press UPDATE for. What gives?

Auto updates only happen if your phone has;

1) nothing else to do
2) a good connection

Going into the AppStore force starts the auto-update process however, you'll see it if you linger in the store for a bit that the updates will start downloading.

Quick

Banned
As much as I love iOS 7, I hate that they decided to have the song, artist and album name text angled in place of an album cover for tracks without a cover. Hate it.

Top Bottom