• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

tmdorsey

Ok I need some help. Can anybody tell me why even though I have App Updates under Automatic Downloads and "Use Cellular Data" both toggled on, my apps only seem to update in the background if I'm connected to WiFi?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ok I need some help. Can anybody tell me why even though I have App Updates under Automatic Downloads and "Use Cellular Data" both toggled on, my apps only seem to update in the background if I'm connected to WiFi?

Your Cellular connection is bad and/or its taken up be other activities. Auto-updating is a relatively low-set priority task so it's only performed when the device isn't in use (but that requires a good connection at those times ofc).

Phreaker

Also, if the update is over 100MB I don't think it will work over cell.

Ok, so I have an Iphone 4, for the record.

iOS7 is slow as fuck and incredibly buggy. Message notifications don't show up on the lock screen, nor do message sounds play. My notification center settings are the same as they ever were. Apps load slowly and switch slowly, often locking up my screen for ten seconds at a time. My battery also drains way faster than it did on the previous OS. I've had three hard locks and two outright crashes.

Also I'm sure this has been answered but is there a way to turn off all of the cloud purchases in my music library? Because holy shit that's annoying. I have tons of purchased stuff that won't fit on my 16GB phone so scrolling through pages and pages of stuff that isn't actually on the device to get to music that is is a waste of time.

ramyeon

Ok, so I have an Iphone 4, for the record.

iOS7 is slow as fuck and incredibly buggy. Message notifications don't show up on the lock screen, nor do message sounds play. My notification center settings are the same as they ever were. Apps load slowly and switch slowly, often locking up my screen for ten seconds at a time. My battery also drains way faster than it did on the previous OS. I've had three hard locks and two outright crashes.

Also I'm sure this has been answered but is there a way to turn off all of the cloud purchases in my music library? Because holy shit that's annoying. I have tons of purchased stuff that won't fit on my 16GB phone so scrolling through pages and pages of stuff that isn't actually on the device to get to music that is is a waste of time.
It's in the Music section of Settings. "Show All Music".

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Gotcha. Thanks.
You can initiate/force auto-updating of your apps by launching the App Store app and then closing it.
Also, if the update is over 100MB I don't think it will work over cell.
If there's a delta update that's larger than 100MB it'll wait until on WiFi.

There's also the cases where the app itself is larger than 100MB but the update bit isn't, in this situation the popup that says "it's over 100MB it won't download until on WiFi" still pops up but the update starts downloading anyway. I imagine this a bug that'll get sorted eventually (the popup, not the downloading).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How much faster is Siri?

Desmond

Just tried to open the iTunes app (haven't user since I updated) but it won't open. Keeps closing immediately. Anyone else have this problem?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Somehow the music player got worse. More clicks and more stuff to scroll through.

Actually, they've added a lot more clicks around places, like iMessage and Photos.

Both those apps seem exactly the same to me, with only a facelift. What has changed that I am not aware of?

I think it's a different cause but if I try to facetime my sister over my wifi iPad, it also rings her husband even though I am contacting her via her phone number, not the email address.

iOS 7 is utter pants the more I use it.

They are likely sharing an iCloud account, which they don't have to. Tell them to create individual iCloud accounts but they can keep sharing their iTunes account for apps and music

MoxManiac

Ugh, some of the new features are nice, but ios 7 has to be one of the ugliest OSes I've ever used. It looks like it was designed by fisher price.

ramyeon

Just tried to open the iTunes app (haven't user since I updated) but it won't open. Keeps closing immediately. Anyone else have this problem?
I had this issue as well, nothing would fix it until I decided to google an iTunes album/link in safari and click that. It launched iTunes into that album info and stopped it from crashing on startup, been fine since.

Desmond

I had this issue as well, nothing would fix it until I decided to google an iTunes album/link in safari and click that. It launched iTunes into that album info and stopped it from crashing on startup, been fine since.
That did the trick.

Thanks!

Pachimari

Can someone explain the Genius feature to me?

Ever since its introduction I have never used that feature in either the Music app nor iTunes. =/

Still can't get over how much faster Siri is now. Really solid improvement.

Though it have been super slow at responding to my questions here. =/

Iacobellis

My battery on my iPhone 5 has gone to shit with this update. I disabled most Location based services and turned off every Background Update available. On iOS 6, I would come home after about a nine hour day with the battery ranging from 80% to 60%. Now, I just got home with 40% remaining.

ramyeon

My battery on my iPhone 5 has gone to shit with this update. I disabled most Location based services and turned off every Background Update available. On iOS 6, I would come home after about a nine hour day with the battery ranging from 80% to 60%. Now, I just got home with 40% remaining.
Coming home from a nine hour day with 40% remaining hardly sounds like your battery has "gone to shit". On the contrary 80% after a nine hour day is pretty ridiculous, I've never seen battery life THAT good on the 5. It is entirely possible that you are using it more but a 20% difference (From the usual low end of 60% you used to get) is pretty negligible.

Think about it this way, 40% is almost half of the battery remaining. After 9 hours. That means you're likely to get anywhere up to 17+ hours usage out if it.

That sounds fine to me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have some bad news for you - go read Anandtech's review of ios7. Battery life has dropped across the board, but it's particularly bad on iphone 5. You can try resetting network settings, that seems to help if yo have an insane babtery drain, but in your case I think what you're seeing is pretty normal. I have about the same experience with using the phone only in few very short busts during the day. I would have on average a 50% battery after the work day, now I have about 40% with no changes in usage patterns.

Can someone explain the Genius feature to me?

Ever since its introduction I have never used that feature in either the Music app nor iTunes. =/
Looks what you have, then suggests other music or apps based on that. It's not too bad IMO.

Iacobellis

Coming home from a nine hour day with 40% remaining hardly sounds like your battery has "gone to shit". On the contrary 80% after a nine hour day is pretty ridiculous, I've never seen battery life THAT good on the 5. It is entirely possible that you are using it more but a 20% difference (From the usual low end of 60% you used to get) is pretty negligible.

Think about it this way, 40% is almost half of the battery remaining. After 9 hours. That means you're likely to get anywhere up to 17+ hours usage out if it.

That sounds fine to me.

My use varies throughout the school day. Sometimes I'll stream music on the bus or just play something I've bought. Sometimes I'll have an extra class I can use it in, or something like that.

But, I have noticed that the battery drops very quickly when I take it off of Airplane Mode. My coverage changes, ranging from one to four bars on LTE. It dropped about 10% today in less than ten minutes while I was refreshing my Twitter feed and texting a person. It could just be using extra juice to keep the already weak signal going, I'm not sure.

My other theory for this could just be poor battery calibration. I've had my 5 for about 11 months now and it has gotten worse over the last few months. The biggest offender is the battery flat-out dying at the 8% mark.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Have you guys tried turning on bold type, under Accessibility?

I think I like it better. Just straight Helvetica, not the super thin variant.
I haven't tried it. I like the thin text. But I would expect it might make my iPad mini's non-Retina screen easier to read in certain cases?

I also have it set to smallest text size. Are there any apps yet that use this? They should use this feature and push it as a future sort of "resolution independence" option to open the way for iPhones that have bigger screens and don't need to keep the same resolution. (So the UI elements can remain the same visual size on certain apps)

Or something.

mrkgoo

Both those apps seem exactly the same to me, with only a facelift. What has changed that I am not aware of?

They are likely sharing an iCloud account, which they don't have to. Tell them to create individual iCloud accounts but they can keep sharing their iTunes account for apps and music

They can also remove the phone number ID off the iPad mini, so calling the number won't make the iPad mini ring.

It's something people find confusing, but in FaceTime, you're not actually calling their phone number. You're calling their AppleID, which can be assigned a phone number. Once a phone number is assigned, it can be used as an identifier for that account on all devices that are logged into that account.

You can, however, have granular control over it and turn it on or off for non-phone devices for either FaceTime or iMessage.

Is there a final verdict on the suitability of iOS 7 on the iPhone 4S? I haven't updated yet since I was a little concerned about some initial reports (battery life, slowdown, etc...) but I'm assuming those were a little overblown in the end?

LCfiner

Is there a final verdict on the suitability of iOS 7 on the iPhone 4S? I haven't updated yet since I was a little concerned about some initial reports (battery life, slowdown, etc...) but I'm assuming those were a little overblown in the end?

it’s fine on the 4S. 4 is iffy

It's honestly not bad. Safari is a bit slower but everything speeds up the more you use it.

You may have to be more aware of your background apps (i.e. do a regular cleanup), and the animations in the messages app are pretty laggy, but it shouldn't hinder the way you regularly use your phone.

Overall the benefits you get from the upgrade are greater than the small technical slow down. Most of the time things are running swimmingly.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Of all the changes they made to the Music app, the one I really can't stand is that it keeps playing the next album in artist view. Why would they change it from just playing the album I want and stopping there?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
it’s fine on the 4S. 4 is iffy

It's been perfectly fine on mine. I turned off parallax cause it was really a minimal effect and not worth the extra battery drain IMO. Also made sure to only have background update for the apps that I really want rather than just blindly allowing everything. Battery life has been about the same.

That sounds fine to me.

You've become awfully tolerant of terrible battery life. I've had an original iPhone, 3GS, 4, and now using a 5 and the battery life has gotten progressively worse with each iOS, with iOS 5 taking a huge slice out if the battery because of all the iCloud stuff, I guess. On this 5, I find myself turning off LTE quite often because I can just about watch the battery tick down as I surf the web or iMessage people. It's pretty bad. Spending all day in Manhattan makes it even worse. Out in the burbs, it gets a little better, but still garbage as far as concerned. I used to be able to get nearly 3 days out if my phone, up to the iPhone 4 with iOS 4. Now I'm lucky to have it not die before going to bed the first day.

ramyeon

You've become awfully tolerant of terrible battery life. I've had an original iPhone, 3GS, 4, and now using a 5 and the battery life has gotten progressively worse with each iOS, with iOS 5 taking a huge slice out if the battery because of all the iCloud stuff, I guess. On this 5, I find myself turning off LTE quite often because I can just about watch the battery tick down as I surf the web or iMessage people. It's pretty bad. Spending all day in Manhattan makes it even worse. Out in the burbs, it gets a little better, but still garbage as far as concerned. I used to be able to get nearly 3 days out if my phone, up to the iPhone 4 with iOS 4. Now I'm lucky to have it not die before going to bed the first day.
I never, ever got anywhere close to 3 days out of any phone I've ever had. Especially not a smart phone.

I charge my phone while I sleep every night, and I've been doing so for as long as I can remember. Even with flip phones I had before smartphones were a thing. It's not that much of an inconvenience for me. If that means I've become tolerant of it then so be it :) better than being annoyed by it. If it lasts me the day I'm satisfied, that's all I need it to do.

Does anyone know why my I cannot remain logged into forums on my ipad since the iOS7 update? With iOS6 I would stay logged in until I cleared my cookies but now if I close the browser I'm logged out and if I visit neogaf or any other forum I have to log in again. It's extremely frustrating. Pretty much the only thing in use this thing for is browsing forums and if it's going to be a pain in the ass like this I'll sell it and get an android tablet.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Does anyone know why my I cannot remain logged into forums on my ipad since the iOS7 update? With iOS6 I would stay logged in until I cleared my cookies but now if I close the browser I'm logged out and if I visit neogaf or any other forum I have to log in again. It's extremely frustrating. Pretty much the only thing in use this thing for is browsing forums and if it's going to be a pain in the ass like this I'll sell it and get an android tablet.

do you have private mode on?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

This is a pretty interesting assertion, so I decided to check by using Archive.org to evaluate battery life claims for each model of iPhone

iPhone (Original):
trilrIZ.png

Up to 5 hoursTalk / Video / Browsing
Up to 16 hours Audio playback
http://web.archive.org/web/20070607034236/http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html

iPhone 3G:
0hHyxpo.png

Talk time: Up to 5 hours on 3G Up to 10 hours on 2G EQUAL/IMPROVED
Standby time: Up to 300 hours NEW
Internet use: Up to 5 hours on 3G Up to 6 hours on Wi-Fi EQUAL/IMPROVED
Video playback: Up to 7 hours IMPROVED
Audio playback: Up to 24 hours IMPROVED
http://web.archive.org/web/20081216012649/http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

iPhone 3GS:
0APMfxy.png

Talk time: Up to 12 hours on 2G Up to 5 hours on 3G EQUAL/IMPROVED
Standby time: Up to 300 hours EQUAL
Internet use: Up to 5 hours on 3G Up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi EQUAL/IMPROVED
Video playback: Up to 10 hours IMPROVED
Audio playback: Up to 30 hours IMPROVED
http://web.archive.org/web/20091224033540/http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

iPhone 4:
adO8MZy.png

Talk time: Up to 7 hours on 3G Up to 14 hours on 2G IMPROVED
Standby time: Up to 300 hours EQUAL
Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi IMPROVED
Video playback: Up to 10 hours EQUAL
Audio playback: Up to 40 hours IMPROVED
http://web.archive.org/web/20101222145538/http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

iPhone 4S:
KondmNu.png

Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM) IMPROVED
Standby time: Up to 200 hours LOWERED!!!!
Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G, up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi EQUAL/LOWERED
Audio playback: Up to 40 hours EQUAL
http://web.archive.org/web/20111223135142/http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

iPhone 5:
2Ka4B00.png

Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G EQUAL
Standby time: Up to 225 hours IMPROVED
Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 8 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi IMPROVED
http://web.archive.org/web/20121228072006/http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

iPhone 5S:
JMKzOPt.png

Talk time: Up to 10 hours on 3G IMPROVED
Standby time: Up to 250 hours IMPROVED
Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi EQUAL/IMPROVED
https://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/

The 4S is the only phone model that had a battery retrograde versus the immediate prior model.

Possibilities--
1) Apple is lying about battery life
2) You use your phone differently and a lot more than you did in 2007 (ding ding ding!)

diffusionx

Gold Member

Well, the phone is doing a lot more than it used to and battery life/tech can't keep up.

It's what people want.

FWIW I haven't noticed *too* much of a difference in my 4S. I assume there will be some optimizations in point releases, but, again, it's doing more.

I really like iOS 7 BTW. I expected much worse performance than I am getting.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
it's tiles now it's better

The sooner Coverflow is dead and buried, the better. I never liked it. Always found it useless, clunky, cumbersome and pretty much just eye candy back when OS X was still new and these kinds of effects in an OS were impressive. The tiles are much better, though I'd rather have an option to turn off rotation in the Music app all together. But whatever. It's also interesting that it does it without an animation.

Where is Coverflow remaining? The Finder, right? It was removed from iTunes and now iOS. Remove it from Finder and all will be right with the world.

My condolences to anyone who still likes it.

Iacobellis

The sooner Coverflow is dead and buried, the better. I never liked it. Always found it useless, clunky, cumbersome and pretty much just eye candy back when OS X was still new and these kinds of effects in an OS were impressive. The tiles are much better, though I'd rather have an option to turn off rotation in the Music app all together. But whatever. It's also interesting that it does it without an animation.

Where is Coverflow remaining? The Finder, right? It was removed from iTunes and now iOS. Remove it from Finder and all will be right with the world.

My condolences to anyone who still likes it.

It was more of a novelty, especially on the iPhone. That was kind of big for a phone in 2007.

Top Bottom