• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Axion22

Who else walked out of an Apple Store today with a brand new iPhone 5? Just got my replacement for a half-dead sleep button. Also exchanged a Lightning cable that completely fried and a 30-pin to Lightning adapter that had one burnt pin, so it only worked when inserted the one way.

I guess this isn't surprising now that I think about it, but it had iOS 6, which caused my backup to not be available for restore. Momentary panic.

Updating now from the GM I had saved thankfully.

lupinko

Who else walked out of an Apple Store today with a brand new iPhone 5? Just got my replacement for a half-dead sleep button. Also exchanged a Lightning cable that completely fried and a 30-pin to Lightning adapter that had one burnt pin, so it only worked when inserted the one way.

I guess this isn't surprising now that I think about it, but it had iOS 6, which caused my backup to not be available for restore. Momentary panic.

Updating now from the GM I had saved thankfully.

I did that last Saturday, feels good man, brofist.

JDeluis

Anybody know if there is an easy way to separate videos from my photos? In iOS6 I was able to select my videos by going into the camera app, accessing the camera roll and selecting the video tab. Unfortunately they have removed that feature.

Edit: There is a video album, under Albums. Duh!

mrkgoo

Anybody know if there is an easy way to separate videos from my photos? In iOS6 I was able to select my videos by going into the camera app, accessing the camera roll and selecting the video tab. Unfortunately they have removed that feature.

Edit: There is a video album, under Albums. Duh!
Yeah, it's sweet!

Robot Pants

Ok so now out of nowhere the Bluetooth controls on my car stereo won't control the phone when I play music. What the fuck.

Anyone have this happen?

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
They seem to have changed the text input in Japanese. My phone adds unnecessary A and O in front of words when I don't press them. It has become quite annoying to write because I have to delete a lot of text. I checked the text input settings and no automatic word correction/capitalization or other are on.

I can manage with this but it's annoying and strange when it happens out of the blue on some words.

cbox

Yeah I can count down the percentages on my 4s as I browse online, it can get pretty bad at times. I might look into grabbing a replacement battery since I bought this phone used. Is iTunes Radio available in canada? Because I can't find it anywhere.

LCfiner

Yeah I can count down the percentages on my 4s as I browse online, it can get pretty bad at times. I might look into grabbing a replacement battery since I bought this phone used. Is iTunes Radio available in canada? Because I can't find it anywhere.

nope.

but you test it out by creating a new US itunes account and logging into it. not something I wanted to do on my phone (pain in the butt to lose itunes match access) but I did it on the ipad and it works ok.

Walshicus

Bunch of guys at work are saying their iPhone 4S' are showing massive battery drain on iOS7 compared to iOS6 - is this a widespread thing or is there an easy fix?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bunch of guys at work are saying their iPhone 4S' are showing massive battery drain on iOS7 compared to iOS6 - is this a widespread thing or is there an easy fix?

Turn off bluetooth, turn off parallax effects, turn off dynamic backgrounds, turn off background app refresh.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Turn off bluetooth, turn off parallax effects, turn off dynamic backgrounds, turn off background app refresh.

Background app refresh?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question that may not necessarily be about iOS7, but is annoying me. Is there a way to stop music from auto-playing as soon as I plug my phone into the USB port in my car? Every morning I plug it in and music just starts playing. Also it will sometimes auto-play right in the middle of apps, like when I'm listening to ESPN radio on one of the radio apps my music will just start playing out of nowhere every minute or so. Very annoying.

How much is background app refresh really eating and what is it really do. The others seems obvious.

Edit: oh god damn, that's why my location has been on non-stop.

The only thing that bothers me about iOS7 is how you have to tap the clock at the top of the screen twice to make safari to scroll to the top of the thread. It used to be easier and now it's annoying and sometimes my big ass thumbs accidentally open the address bar instead. I also wish the rainmeter-esque Today pulldown gave me actual calendar events and times instead of a vague message. I like pretty much everything else they changed.

Weird that it stopped showing hourly.
YovRPNV.jpg

I'm noticing a lot of bugs. Small ones, like hearing the chime of a new email, but not seeing a notification pop up on the lock screen, even though the settings say it should.

Random iTunes question: Can I stream any music I've purchased to my phone? I don't want to download the songs, due to space concerns. I'm just wondering if it's possible to stream all purchased songs like I can with my Rdio app.

Someone had that problem last week, think they needed to restart to get it back up and running.
Tried that. Didn't work. The fix was to turn off and on location services for Weather.
I'm noticing a lot of bugs. Small ones, like hearing the chime of a new email, but not seeing a notification pop up on the lock screen, even though the settings say it should.

Random iTunes question: Can I stream any music I've purchased to my phone? I don't want to download the songs, due to space concerns. I'm just wondering if it's possible to stream all purchased songs like I can with my Rdio app.
Yes you can. The songs should just show up in your Music app. You just tap on the song title to stream it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Noe of that is going to help. When I had battery drain with beta 1, I tried all that and none of it helped. The only thing that helped was doing a Reset Network Settings. Still even after, battery drain is simply larger under ios7 as evidenced by Anandtech's objective measurements.

Is there any way to change the view when you select "Artists" in the music app? The default view with the thumbnail is annoying when you have thousands of artists in your collection.

Yes you can. The songs should just show up in your Music app. You just tap on the song title to stream it.

I've done that, but it seems to be downloading the song to my phone in the process. When I go look at files on my phone, the music app grows by several MB in the process.

Talon

Multitasking – My favorite part of the update. There’s a whole new multi-tasking view that is still accessed by double-tapping the home button. You have a screenshot of the app and the app icon moving on separate “bands.” You can scroll through them at either the screenshot (slower) or the app icon (faster).

Want to delete an app from running? Just swipe up on the app, and it'll go flying off into the ether.

Going forward, iOS 7 will provide more multitasking features for third-party developers. What this means is that applications will learn your behavior and run in the background on a select basis. Use case: Twitter would update the feed in the background without it having to load when you launch the application.

o74soLE.png
VcId4SE.png

Is anyone else having problems controlling their music from Control Center/Lock Screen? The controls are always there, but pressing play/pause and skipping tracks doesn't work at all.

Talon

Is anyone else having problems controlling their music from Control Center/Lock Screen? The controls are always there, but pressing play/pause and skipping tracks doesn't work at all.
Depends on the third-party application. There's a known bug with Downcast that they're working on. Rdio appears to work fine for me.

Anno

The automatic parsing of potential calendar events is super useful. Really makes creating calendar items and reminders a lot easier.

Vyer

Depends on the third-party application. There's a known bug with Downcast that they're working on. Rdio appears to work fine for me.

Yeah, for anyone who uses Downcast here's their current list of issues that they are aware of.:

http://support.downcastapp.com/customer/portal/articles/663516-known-issues
Known Issues

Last Updated: Sep 22, 2013 09:33AM EDT

v2.8.8 (iOS 7)

Background App Refresh

Downcast's background app refresh will continue to refresh feeds regardless of your automatic feed refreshing schedule set in Downcast's settings. This bug should be fixed in the next update so that background app refreshing will correlate to your automatic feed refreshing setting. Until then, you can disable Downcast's Background App Refresh in iOS settings.

"Player" Button

When the "Bold Text" is enabled in iOS 7 Accessibility settings, the "r" in "Player" button on iPhone and iPod Touch will wrap to a second line. This issue should be corrected in the next update.

Player Controls in Control Center, Lock Screen & External Devices

If Downcast doesn't seem to respond to player controls in Control Center, the iOS lock screen or external devices, restarting your iOS device should resolve the problem.

Volume Slider on iPad

It is difficult to adjust playback volume using the volume slider on iPad. This issue should be corrected in the next update.

Ashhong

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is there anyway to get the same translucent look that is being advertised, onto an iPad 3? Upgraded my Dad's the other day and was very let down by the ugly NC and Control Center. It's a 3! How is it not powerful enough..

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is there anyway to get the same translucent look that is being advertised, onto an iPad 3? Upgraded my Dad's the other day and was very let down by the ugly NC and Control Center. It's a 3! How is it not powerful enough..

The 3rd-gens have always been comparatively underpowered due to the 4x increase in resolution, but only a 2x increase in processing power over previous gen iPads.

Top Bottom