• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It was more of a novelty, especially on the iPhone. That was kind of big for a phone in 2007.
Steve used to go nuts over the feature. I think he just loved CoreAnimation a lot because it really is awesome for developers. But now CoverFlow isn't a big deal anymore because any app can do the same stuff easily, thanks to CA of course. At this point it's just eye candy that looks cool. But it just gets in the way if you ask me. I'd gladly take back that small section of my Finder toolbar when they get rid of it in OS X. Hopefully 10.10 will get the focus iOS got this year. Fine tune everything. Tighten the UI up as much as possible. Tie up all loose ends.

it's tiles now it's better

The sooner Coverflow is dead and buried, the better. I never liked it. Always found it useless, clunky, cumbersome and pretty much just eye candy back when OS X was still new and these kinds of effects in an OS were impressive. The tiles are much better, though I'd rather have an option to turn off rotation in the Music app all together. But whatever. It's also interesting that it does it without an animation.

WDKrPA0.gif

Cover flow was FUN. The new tiles view is completely useless because I can simply go to Album View and find my albums faster.

Steve would have never let this happen :,(

Moozo

Speaking of batteries, went to get my 5 replaced at the Apple store (some strange screen bleed around every edge, giving a green border) and the diagnostic scan revealed a battery fault too. So now I'm delighted every time I look at the battery and see I have so much more than I'm used to

Quick

Banned
Cover Flow was this cool novelty that quickly wore out with me, to be honest.

I switched it off on OS X, and I'm locked to portrait mode on my iPod.

mrkgoo

The tiles view is much faster than Cover Flow though. Cover Flow was useless.

I'll admit it was functionally useless, but I liked coverflow.

SOmetimes I just want to sit and chill with my music, and having something tactile to play with and maybe rediscover some of my old stuff was fine. The tile view, while more functional, is boring.

Iacobellis

Steve used to go nuts over the feature. I think he just loved CoreAnimation a lot because it really is awesome for developers. But now CoverFlow isn't a big deal anymore because any app can do the same stuff easily, thanks to CA of course. At this point it's just eye candy that looks cool. But it just gets in the way if you ask me. I'd gladly take back that small section of my Finder toolbar when they get rid of it in OS X. Hopefully 10.10 will get the focus iOS got this year. Fine tune everything. Tighten the UI up as much as possible. Tie up all loose ends.

Yeah, I hope the same will happen. I imagine if they implement a more flat design, we could see even more improved battery life. The tweaks Mavericks has under the hood look staggering, I can't wait until it comes out.

Iacobellis

So do I, but tile view is better than cover flow at least. If only by a little. It's also aesthetically more pleasing.

Speaking of aesthetics, iOS 7 is growing on me better than I thought it would. It looks like a high class, premium UI that should belong on the rest of the Apple product line. I think it would look amazing on a Retina MacBook Pro, especially if iTunes was redesigned with the pink/white color scheme the Music app has.

mrkgoo

In music app-related business:

I've added a bunch of music videos into iTunes (if you have to ask, they're rips from a Wiggles DVD), and the organisation highlights what a mess the situation can be on iOS (not exclusive to iOS 7).

I want each track to exist under one album in the videos pane, but this can't be done. You can't play a stream of files from the album in the Video app.

You CAN if using the Music app, but in iOS5, it doesn't play the movie, just the music, but in iOS7, you CAN play the files in the music app with video, but NOT in landscape, and it cuts off if you leave the music app UNLESS you start it in control centre.

Also, in the video app, the album art is on each song, so my list is now dominated by the same album art - I solved this by removing it EXCEPT for the first song, so it at least appears as an album in music :p

Nothing insurmountable, or that I can't live with, but a little more effort in the iPod side of the iphone would be greatly appreciated.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I guess I have a much more negative opinion of the new os compared to the rest of you.

My dad update his iPad to ios7 (I don't really think he knew what he was getting into) and he hates the look. I checked it out and I'm inclined to agree. What is up with the purple/gray dock? That thing is hideous. And I guess there is no way to make it translucent or change the color? I also noticed it wasn't as snappy and it actually froze a few times. This is on an ipad3. Feels very unpolished and un-Apple. I can't believe Apple put it out. It took me forever to change the wallpaper because it wouldn't recognize when I tapped on something. Also the screen reader reads slowly now (a good thing IMO) but sounds like she has shit stuffed in her mouth (not so good). It reminded me of the say and spell I had when I was a kid.

Iacobellis

I guess I have a much more negative opinion of the new os compared to the rest of you.

My dad update his iPad to ios7 (I don't really think he knew what he was getting into) and he hates the look. I checked it out and I'm inclined to agree. What is up with the purple/gray dock? That thing is hideous. And I guess there is no way to make it translucent or change the color? I also noticed it wasn't as snappy and it actually froze a few times. This is on an ipad3. Feels very unpolished and un-Apple. I can't believe Apple put it out. It took me forever to change the wallpaper because it wouldn't recognize when I tapped on something. Also the screen reader reads slowly now and sounds like she has shit stuffed in her mouth. It reminded me of the say and spell I had when I was a kid.

iOS 7 is known to be sluggish on an iPad 3, most likely due to the weak GPU. The dock color can be changed, it is dependent on your set wallpaper. iOS 7 heavily relies on transparency, which I for one believe is very appealing to the eyes.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
iOS 7 is known to be sluggish on an iPad 3, most likely due to the weak GPU. The dock color can be changed, it is dependent on your set wallpaper. iOS 7 heavily relies on transparency, which I for one believe is very appealing to the eyes.

Any idea if they will fix those issues? I know that the newer OSes can hinder the performance of older devices but ipad3 is only like a year and a half old.

Any idea if they will fix those issues? I know that the newer OSes can hinder the performance of older devices but ipad3 is only like a year and a half old.

Probably some of it by dumbing 7 down a bit, but the problem is inherent to the iPad 3 itself. That's why they replaced it so quickly.

So I just clicked to download a free app for my son, only to have my ipad download the free app as well as a different $1.99 app by the same company...

Any chance apple will reverse this charge? I definitely have both apps. I can only assume I was charged for the $1.99 one.

Granted, it's only $2 but still.

So I just clicked to download a free app for my son, only to have my ipad download the free app as well as a different $1.99 app by the same company...

Any chance apple will reverse this charge? I definitely have both apps. I can only assume I was charged for the $1.99 one.

They're usually pretty generous about refunding mistakes. https://getsupport.apple.com/ServiceOptionAction.action

mrkgoo

Anytime I have ANY issue with a song, or app,just email them and you normally get a help staff who typically just give you a credit.

Like I have a few songs that aren't iTunes plus yet, so I emailed and asked, and they basically said, "I don't know why that is, but here's some credits to go buy them again, so you have them". I just kept the old non-plus versions and spent the money on something else.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Honestly - probably not. The problem is that the iPad 3 was a bit underpowered for the screen. Even back on iOS 5 this was the case. It's why Apple moved onto the iPad 4 so quickly. I'm not at all surprised that it is struggling with iOS 7.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Honestly - probably not. The problem is that the iPad 3 was a bit underpowered for the screen. Even back on iOS 5 this was the case. It's why Apple moved onto the iPad 4 so quickly. I'm not at all surprised that it is struggling with iOS 7.

Is there a way to go back? I don't care if the method is not supported by Apple. The device is practically unusable as it is.

ramyeon

Is there a way to go back? I don't care if the method is not supported by Apple. The device is practically unusable as it is.
No there is not.

I don't know how it's unusable, my dad has an iPad 3 he installed it on (Even after I warned him about complaints people made on here) and he has had no issue with it at all.

mrkgoo

I still miss the icon that lets you know that the phone is 100% charged. IT used to change to a plug.

Some people pointed out that it says 100% charged under the battery icon on teh lock screen, but it always says xx% charged, so it doesn't help to show it when it is FULLY charged.

It sitll shows the plug in iTunes, I believe.

I updated my 5th gen iPod Touch, didn't realize it was for iOS7 lol. Now the iTunes store app doesn't work at all which is a bummer since I use it a lot. :/

ramyeon

I updated my 5th gen iPod Touch, didn't realize it was for iOS7 lol. Now the iTunes store app doesn't work at all which is a bummer since I use it a lot. :/
I had that issue and someone here earlier today too, like I said then just google an iTunes album link in safari, click the link and it'll take you into the store app. After I did that once it worked fine and has since.

mrkgoo

All my apps are updated and the info is till all there telling me when i updated them on the phone. It just stays there.

Ah, maybe it's a new thing, for those that updated on the phone.

Mine just has a blank screen with some text that says "All apps are up to date"

I had that issue and someone here earlier today too, like I said then just google an iTunes album link in safari, click the link and it'll take you into the store app. After I did that once it worked fine and has since.

Thanks, this doesn't seem to be working for me though. Hopefully since other people seem to be having the same problem Apple will fix it soon.

ramyeon

Thanks, this doesn't seem to be working for me though. Hopefully since other people seem to be having the same problem Apple will fix it soon.
Is the app crashing on start up or just not connecting? I seem to be getting a whole bunch of connection errors from both stores since I updated.

Is the app crashing on start up or just not connecting? I seem to be getting a whole bunch of connection errors from both stores since I updated.

It's not crashing. The app opens, the bottom tabs are there (music, movies, etc.) but its just a blank white page. I can even go to the movies tab which makes a blank black page, but nothing loads. The app store is working fine, only iTunes is messed up for me.

Tobor

No there is not.

I don't know how it's unusable, my dad has an iPad 3 he installed it on (Even after I warned him about complaints people made on here) and he has had no issue with it at all.

It's not unusable, he's being overly dramatic. I have a 3rd gen iPad. It's not as snappy as my iPhone 5, but it's certainly plenty usable

I may be lttp to this but snoozing my alarm this morning actually displayed a timer until the alarm went off on the lockscreen.

Made me get up sooner cause I saw how little extra I'd get so it's a nice little feature that I don't remember being in iOS < 7

<numbers>

I see the numbers, and I've read them in the past, and they are certainly ambitious on their own. I've never gotten them, so they don't mean a whole lot to me. Also, I certainly don't disagree that I probably use the phone differently now than I used to, but it's the increase in cloud/data services and notifications that seem to have taken the biggest toll on the phone's battery. Just like how instead of text messaging people, which doesn't activate data, I now use iMessage, which does activate data. With the increase in these services, I would have expected a much larger battery. I feel like aesthetics were chosen over functionality, at least in this regard. I could always turn the cloud services and stuff off, but that would defeat the purpose, right?

Well, the phone is doing a lot more than it used to and battery life/tech can't keep up.

It's what people want.

FWIW I haven't noticed *too* much of a difference in my 4S. I assume there will be some optimizations in point releases, but, again, it's doing more.

I really like iOS 7 BTW. I expected much worse performance than I am getting.

Yeah, like I said, the biggest change I noticed was going from iOS 4 to iOS 5, which was introduced with the 4S (I think). I figure your initial assertion about the tech not keeping up, is true. The phone would have to simply weigh a lot more with a larger battery to keep up. Personally, I'd be ok with this, but that's me. Maybe I'm jaded by my earlier experiences, and especially by my experiences with phones, pre-smartphone era. I had Nokia phones in college (the 5190 and 8210, I think) which could last nearly a business week with moderate usage.

Badgerst3

Ipad 4 here. My apple notes went from a decent lined yellow to stark white and no lines? Can I change this? I have turned contrast on.

Info like the safari favorites bar though. Took a bit to figure out how to shut down background apps, otherwise I'm adjusting.

So many bugs I'm seeing...

* App updates appear then disappear from notification window
* No error handling for inability to reach apple servers when using itunes app results in crash when opening
* Unable to delete some songs via Music app
* Album is still displayed in list after removing all tracks within
* iTunes Radio shows a network error message despite having a stable wifi or LTE connection. Rebooting the music app immediately resolves this issue.
* Music app crashes on occasion.
* When previewing a music track via itunes the preview display at the top of the screen will be displayed incorrectly.
* Music player controls via the control center are occasionally completely unresponsive.
* Music app crashes when deleting multiple songs from a single album repeatedly.
* Slight choppiness in the animation when opening spotlight search on iphone 5.

The wallpaper is a bug I believe. I ran into the same issue with my iPad 3 while trying to resize a wallpaper. There's a fairly large thread about it on the apple support forums. Hopefully they'll fix it. No major performance issues for me outside of that.

Iacobellis

I see the numbers, and I've read them in the past, and they are certainly ambitious on their own. I've never gotten them, so they don't mean a whole lot to me. Also, I certainly don't disagree that I probably use the phone differently now than I used to, but it's the increase in cloud/data services and notifications that seem to have taken the biggest toll on the phone's battery. Just like how instead of text messaging people, which doesn't activate data, I now use iMessage, which does activate data. With the increase in these services, I would have expected a much larger battery. I feel like aesthetics were chosen over functionality, at least in this regard. I could always turn the cloud services and stuff off, but that would defeat the purpose, right?

Yeah, like I said, the biggest change I noticed was going from iOS 4 to iOS 5, which was introduced with the 4S (I think). I figure your initial assertion about the tech not keeping up, is true. The phone would have to simply weigh a lot more with a larger battery to keep up. Personally, I'd be ok with this, but that's me. Maybe I'm jaded by my earlier experiences, and especially by my experiences with phones, pre-smartphone era. I had Nokia phones in college (the 5190 and 8210, I think) which could last nearly a business week with moderate usage.

The iPhone 4 also just had an amazing battery for its time. The only real power-heavy thing it had to power was the Retina Display. Battery improvements since then have felt very incremental. :/

The iPhone 4 also just had an amazing battery for its time. The only real power-heavy thing it had to power was the Retina Display. Battery improvements since then have felt very incremental. :/

I've had the same battery life since my iPhone 3G;

-Leave the house @ 100%
-Get to work @ 75% (browsing/streaming/music) Even less if there's a train delay or I game heavily.
-Charge while I'm at work.
-Get home @ 75%.
-Phone down to 50% by bedtime.

It varies but it's been pretty consistent. The last non-iPhone I owned was the Samsung instinct and that was horrid battery life so I love my iPhone battery life.

I'm having trouble with ios 7wallpapers on my iPad 3, I can't move and scale them, they just snap back to default and just zoom in full. It's really sluggish trying to set them and then they look bad. I've already tried deleting and resynchronizing my photos.

I've searched but I can't find anyone else with this issue. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom