• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

mollipen

I am guessing this is already known, but I just accidentally found out that when your phone is locked, if you pull down the calendar of events from the top and just double click the home button, it bypasses putting in your password. Is this known? I have the latest update to iOS7 too.

I just tried it, and... wow. Totally worked.

mollipen

I think you guys are accidentally using touch ID. Disable it and I bet this "hack" doesn't work

Well, not "accidentally", but yup, that's it. It's weird, because I didn't think it was getting enough time reading my thumbprint when doing the double click, but it must be.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And on iPad Mini?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
And on iPad Mini?
So much better than the iPad 3. The iPad 2 and 4 and mini run it fine and dandy. The 3 is the only one you want to avoid. Poor black sheep. Was born a little earlier than it should have been. Apple should have let it cook for a while longer. Thankfully the 4 is perfect and the mini is as good as its iPad 2 brother.

Hate the new date picker :/

Daringfireball linked to a good rundown of the differences
http://blog.ittybittyapps.com/blog/2013/09/20/lifting-the-lid-on-ios-7s-uipicker/

I don't like it when people use the term "inconsistent" for UI. In this case there is a difference between days, hours and minutes. The designers have allowed you to tap above and below days and hours to move but have replaced it on minutes for a double tap to change the increments (1min/5min) . They've decided this is a more appropriate way to navigate the tool, a user is likely to change the day or hour by 1 or 2 but the minutes?

And who doesn't use 24hr clock?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
How is iOS7 on the 3rd iPad (the first one with a retina screen)?
It's fine. I compared my 3 to a friend's Mini and my father's iPad 4 with iOS 7 and the difference in performance between the models is the same as the one from iOS 6. Many in the thread reported getting normal performance on an iPad 3 after the update, no keyboard issues, no chugging. I honestly don't know what's up with people getting trouble on their third gen iPads but I guess you better not update if you're worried.

Some things I thought wouldn't be on an iPad 4 are present on it too. Changing wallpapers lags and freezes the iPad for a few seconds on all models. The slightly jerky animation when you use gestures to go back to the home screen is also on all models (if you press the home button it's a smoother one but not as speedy).

For the record, I've also been using the update on a 4S. Performance-wise iOS 7 feels less polished than 6 at spots and, even though I'm enjoying the update and it doesn't give me any problems on my daily usage, I'm looking forward to them tweaking those bits in the future.

iPad 3's keyboard has always been slightly laggy for me but only when you first bring it up and when you change the buttons to numbers there is a loading pause, otherwise I can type on it rather easily.

Compared to the keyboard speed on my iphone 5 the ipad 3 feels rather bad in comparison.

Pratfall

I'm a little confused as to what Background App Refresh actually does. I had it on since iOS7 came out and it never seemed to change the way my apps behaved, even ones that had received explicit updates to work with Background App Refresh (Downcast, Mailbox). What I mean is that I open them and they still have to reload and download new information (emails, podcasts). I use these apps all the time so I'm not sure why iOS7 wouldn't prioritize them for background refresh. Anyone having any luck with this feature?

Talon

I'm a little confused as to what Background App Refresh actually does. I had it on since iOS7 came out and it never seemed to change the way my apps behaved, even ones that had received explicit updates to work with Background App Refresh (Downcast, Mailbox). What I mean is that I open them and they still have to reload and download new information (emails, podcasts). I use these apps all the time so I'm not sure why iOS7 wouldn't prioritize them for background refresh. Anyone having any luck with this feature?
Downcast has a bug with its background refresh feature. Mine downloads in the background fine, though, but it checks super frequently. Downcast peeps have said that the way it will work is by checking on a schedule - think Fetch - based on the app settings.

Mailbox never downloaded your emails properly. It was always an alert. Presumably they're work this into the app in the future.

Pratfall

Downcast has a bug with its background refresh feature. Mine downloads in the background fine, though, but it checks super frequently. Downcast peeps have said that the way it will work is by checking on a schedule - think Fetch - based on the app settings.

Mailbox never downloaded your emails properly. It was always an alert. Presumably they're work this into the app in the future.

Alright, thanks. Is there an example of an app that works really well with the background app refresh (mail or podcast)? It is honestly the most compelling feature of iOS 7 and I would like to see it actually work. Not having my emails download in an app that is not the hot garbage Mail.app is that thing that makes me want to switch android the most.

Thought I would share my wallpapers. Really enjoying the new phone
image_zps548582de.jpg

image_zps7537fd21.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This is the worst.

??? Is keeping a "read" inbox really a thing now? I've seen others say "select all -> mark read" and just don't understand it. You're not actually reading them, so what does it really do to clear their status?

Talon

??? Is keeping a "read" inbox really a thing now? I've seen others say "select all -> mark read" and just don't understand it. You're not actually reading them, so what does it really do to clear their status?
Yeah, keeping a clean inbox is a thing.

I have three email accounts I maintain: a main personal one, a work one, and a garbage one.

1. I always read every email in the personal one because I've made sure to avoid signing up for garbage email or whateverwebsite updates (had to start fresh in 2009).
2. I read ever piece of work email that comes in, even the annoying box.net updates.
3. I even keep the garbage one clean. Generally by making sure that I elect to not receive junk mail from the services I use.

mrkgoo

The unread is like a notification of things you have yet to donor deal with. Since some of it is junk, that you don't have to deal with its good to have a way of getting the status clear for the way for real emails.

Like some times 3 things come in at once and you can see from the subject line they are not something to deal with -> clear all.

Question. I want to share an .ICS (calendar file). Problem is, it's an updated version of a previous one I shared with a group of people who dont know how to delete/remove the original one.

What would happen if they tried to subscribe to a similar calendar that had duplicate dates/times? Would it prompt them to save one over the other or something?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Alright, thanks. Is there an example of an app that works really well with the background app refresh (mail or podcast)? It is honestly the most compelling feature of iOS 7 and I would like to see it actually work. Not having my emails download in an app that is not the hot garbage Mail.app is that thing that makes me want to switch android the most.
Twitter, Facebook and Pulse (RSS) in my experience. I use them daily in the morning and my phone knows this now so feeds are always freshly pulled when I open them around 7 am, it's great.

jediyoshi

LTTP on this. Definitely not a new feature, but itunes/podcast app automatically syncing progression with each other melts my mind every time (especially since I manually set up both sets of subscriptions)

dont know if reeder uses background refresh, but it doesn't matter because it takes like a second to refresh everything. voodoo magic shit they got.

is it correct that Google is the only major service that autosyncs/autouploads local music files? I get a lot of music from random bandcamp artists, so most "matching" services would be missing a lot of what I listen to.

LCfiner

is it correct that Google is the only major service that autosyncs/autouploads local music files? I get a lot of music from random bandcamp artists, so most "matching" services would be missing a lot of what I listen to.

itunes match will upload anything that it doesn’t find the “match” for in itunes. I have lots of uploaded music tracks that do not exist in itunes.

tmdorsey

Twitter, Facebook and Pulse (RSS) in my experience. I use them daily in the morning and my phone knows this now so feeds are always freshly pulled when I open them around 7 am, it's great.

Twitter and FB still don't show up in my list of apps for Background App Refresh. Am I missing something?

mrkgoo

Twitter and FB still don't show up in my list of apps for Background App Refresh. Am I missing something?

HAve you enabled them for locations services? IT might be related, since background location is part of the BAR. I noticed that that is what it took to get soem of my apps to even appear in the BAR list.

Top Bottom