• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Enco

Soooo how does background app refresh work?

Does it only update at the times you usually open the app or does it update depending on something else?

Would a news app update at 9am if that's when I check it or will it update whenever there's a new article?

Soooo how does background app refresh work?

Does it only update at the times you usually open the app or does it update depending on something else?

Would a news app update at 9am if that's when I check it or will it update whenever there's a new article?

It will check when it thinks you're about to check and when it has a good connection, and moreso if it's plugged in. It's supposed to be very smart.

mrkgoo

Are you sure? Facebook and Twitter don't have background updates afaik.
Nah I'm not sure, but another poster previously showed a screen of his background app refresh toggles and both Facebook and Twitter were there. He also claimed that they would preload data at certain times.

Not sure if he was just speculating, however.

Cloudy

Banned
I'm quite annoyed at the multi-tasking. Why don't the apps line up with the preview tighter when you scroll through?

I also think the preview takes up way too much space. I don't see the point of both when you double tap home

Edit: So I'm not the only one having to repeat myself multiple times with Siri now?

Is anyone else having problems downloading songs through the iTunes store? I keep on getting download errors on a few songs and I can't cancel them, I'm pretty sure this is stopping my phone from completing the restore process which is a real pain in the ass.

Edit:

Listening to one of the songs and then attempting the download again seems to have fixed my problem.

Talon

Siri is significantly better for me. I had one morning when there must have been some server hijinks and it wouldn't respond.

tmdorsey

HAve you enabled them for locations services? IT might be related, since background location is part of the BAR. I noticed that that is what it took to get soem of my apps to even appear in the BAR list.

Just checked and I have location services enabled for Twitter but it does not show up in the list for background app refresh.

bionic77

Boy, ios7 has been something of a beautiful disaster.

iMessages is broken
Siri is broken
Battery is crap
I find Siri to be much improved. I actually use it for something other than reminders and text messages now. Even works with email and can launch apps. It does suck when it doesn't work or is acting slow. Not sure if that is OS or servers that can't handle it.

Haven't noticed any problem with iMessage but my friends have complained. Again I wonder if that is a problem with the servers or network.

And I have not noticed any difference with battery from ios6. I have never gotten as good battery life as I did with my 4 on ios4. Used to get insane battery back then.

One more thing. Apples wallpapers suck. The ones I downloaded are much better showcases for the parallax effect.

mrkgoo

I'm quite annoyed at the multi-tasking. Why don't the apps line up with the preview tighter when you scroll through?

I also think the preview takes up way too much space. I don't see the point of both when you double tap home

Edit: So I'm not the only one having to repeat myself multiple times with Siri now?

you mean why they scroll at different rates? It's so they are able to both be on the screen at once. IF they scrolled at the same rate, then the icons would actually show less. An even bigger deal when in landscape.

Just checked and I have location services enabled for Twitter but it does not show up in the list for background app refresh.

Yeah, I dunno. I've heard many people just say it's not there, and only one poster with a screen to say it is there.

FOr the record, my Reminders app wasn't in the list until I allowed it locations AND made a geofence reminder. SO yo uMIGHT have to activate a geofence or something that uses location actually in the twitter app.

Archpath1

Anyone's iTunes Store not working?
It won't start up, pops up then closes,app still runs in background
any ideas guys or had this?

ramyeon

Anyone's iTunes Store not working?
It won't start up, pops up then closes,app still runs in background
any ideas guys or had this?
I had it, fixed it by googling an iTunes album and tapping the link to launch the iTunes Store from Safari. Since then it hasn't occurred again.

mrkgoo

Guys I am sorry for newb question.

I just bought a new iPhone, transferred a few tracks my iTunes but when I go to music app, I see old playlists on here yet my storage is near vacant. Is the cloud giving me access to my synced songs? I'm not sure how I'm getting access to other songs I did not transfer.

Yes it will show other songs you purchased that aren't on the device. You can toggle them off in settings->store

New Safari is annoying.

Way too much functionality slammed into one spot. Not very intuitive. Too many extra clicks.

I agree. It's annoying, but not a deal breaker. You don't gain that much real estate and having thing a bounce in and out all the time is distracting and messes with websites.

The back and forward make up for the inconvenience a little.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Are you sure? Facebook and Twitter don't have background updates afaik.

Nah I'm not sure, but another poster previously showed a screen of his background app refresh toggles and both Facebook and Twitter were there. He also claimed that they would preload data at certain times.

Not sure if he was just speculating, however.
They do, here's a new pic I took a few minutes ago:
MIjjJcf.jpg

I have location services enabled for Facebook but not Twitter.

As far as how the API works I'm not speculating. It's my understanding from having read apples documentation and having seen the code in action so to speak, I work at a software developer.

ramyeon

Has anyone had issues with irresponsiveness of the volume down button on the iPhone 5 after installing iOS7? Recently I've been getting a lot, just checking as if not then it'll be a hardware issue and I'll have to get a replacement.

Is there a way to turn off iMessage just for a specific contact? My friend has an iphone but she rarely has internet access on it, so she doesn't receive my texts for ages as they send as an iMessage instead of a text message

mrkgoo

MIjjJcf.jpg

As far as how the API works I'm not speculating. It's my understanding from having read apples documentation and having seen the code in action so to speak, I work at a software developer.

Sweet.

Yeah, both Facebook and Twitter have locations services.

Thing is I believe the toggles appear once needed, but even if you turn off location services after that, the toggle is left there.

I imagine having them there has to do with having ever 'needed' them and I suspect individual users have different setups that have allowed them to appear or not.

Mogwai

Has anyone had issues with irresponsiveness of the volume down button on the iPhone 5 after installing iOS7? Recently I've been getting a lot, just checking as if not then it'll be a hardware issue and I'll have to get a replacement.

I've had no issues on my 5. Sounds like it might be your phone.

Sean

Banned
Is there a way to turn off iMessage just for a specific contact? My friend has an iphone but she rarely has internet access on it, so she doesn't receive my texts for ages as they send as an iMessage instead of a text message

Not sure if this is still in iOS7 (I assume so) but you can long press on an iMessage and you'll get an option to send as text.

njean777

I want to know who took cover flow off of music when you put it in landscape mode. This new way where they just put random albums up in a collage is just dumb. At least cover flow was somewhat usable to change albums when working out on a treadmill or elliptical with the ability to not have to pick up your phone, now I have to pick it up every time if I feel like changing the album I am on.

"Not sure if this is still in iOS7 (I assume so) but you can long press on an iMessage and you'll get an option to send as text"

what do you mean?

snacknuts

we all knew her
A friend of mine is considering switching from Android to the new iPhone. I told him one of the things that brought me back to Android after eight months with a 4S was that iOS was terrible about sharing stuff between apps. Has this been at all improved with iOS7?

A friend of mine is considering switching from Android to the new iPhone. I told him one of the things that brought me back to Android after eight months with a 4S was that iOS was terrible about sharing stuff between apps. Has this been at all improved with iOS7?

Not to the extent that Android excels at it. So basically, no.

Sean

Banned
what do you mean?

You can force an iMessage to send as an SMS by holding your finger on the speech bubble until a "send as text" prompt comes up. Like this:

imessage-as-text-message.jpeg

I think you can also long-press on the "Send" button too until it changes colors to green and that will send as a text, but I'm not positive.

MIjjJcf.jpg

I don't see either of them in that listing on any of my devices. What's the secret?

Vyer

Can you give examples of what he'd be looking to share?

dream

Yeah, that's really odd. I don't have Background App Refresh functionality for Facebook and Twitter either.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Can you give examples of what he'd be looking to share?

Mostly URLs and images, and mostly shared via Google Hangouts. We both send a fair amount of edited screen caps, and in Android the workflow is basically like this:
  1. Initiate screen cap
  2. Pull down notification drawer and select Share button under screen cap thumbnail
  3. Select image editing program
  4. Crop, draw on, etc. screen cap
  5. Select option to Export, select Hangouts and user

When I still had my iPhone, the same process would have been:
  1. Initiate screen cap
  2. Find and open image editing program
  3. Crop, draw on, etc. screen cap
  4. Save edited image to gallery
  5. Find and open Hangouts
  6. Select option to share image
  7. Find and select edited image in gallery, send

It doesn't look much worse when the steps are laid out, but it takes longer and is more frustrating. This is just one example, of course. Sharing something like a YouTube link used to be a nightmare, but I believe that got rectified when Google released their own YouTube app instead of Apple's homegrown POS.

mrkgoo

I don't see either of them in that listing on any of my devices. What's the secret?

Yeah, that's really odd. I don't have Background App Refresh functionality for Facebook and Twitter either.

I'm still counting on something that actually adds some sort of location service or something else you need to do in those apps to have it appear.

Before, my reminders app didn't appear in that list. After I made a geofence reminder it did. And now that toggle stays there even if I remove the geofence reminder and turn location services off.

Top Bottom