• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Those of you with iPhone 5's who are jealous of the slow-mo cam should check out SlowCam. The 5 is capable of shooting 60fps, so it can slow it down to 30 to get .5x slow motion. It's pretty fun and very simple. Easily my new favorite app.

I finally checked out the 5S today and the one thing that surprised me is that even on the 5S, iOS7 stutters. It was kinda shocking to see Apple's flagship phone which launched with the new OS didn't have this straightened out. The lack of stuttering was always one of the draws for an iPhone for me. I sure hope they optimize it in an update. I'm sure it's because it's a complete overhaul that is part of the problem but it's still surprising to see it there.

mrkgoo

I finally checked out the 5S today and the one thing that surprised me is that even on the 5S, iOS7 stutters. It was kinda shocking to see Apple's flagship phone which launched with the new OS didn't have this straightened out. The lack of stuttering was always one of the draws for an iPhone for me. I sure hope they optimize it in an update. I'm sure it's because it's a complete overhaul that is part of the problem but it's still surprising to see it there.

Stutter? Where? I have an iPhone 5 and I don't think I experienced any noticeable stutter. Maybe I'm less sensitive to that, however.

Quick

Banned
I don't know about "stutters", but iOS 7 in general still has a few bugs to work out. It doesn't feel as polished as previous iOS releases.

Iacobellis

I don't know about "stutters", but iOS 7 in general still has a few bugs to work out. It doesn't feel as polished as previous iOS releases.

Nowhere close. I've had my phone respring from the Music app twice this week. Even weirder is that I was able to take a screenshot of the Apple logo.

Stutter? Where? I have an iPhone 5 and I don't think I experienced any noticeable stutter. Maybe I'm less sensitive to that, however.

It's pretty noticeable to me on the home screen when going back and forth between home screens. You'll see the framerate drop as you go from one screen to the next. It's one of the first things I check in any OS to see how smooth things are. I tried it out on three different 5Ss and two 5Cs at the Apple Store. It probably is just an optimization issue, but it's still disappointing to see.

sirap

Recently gotten a 5s and i'm noticing the stuttering as well. It's mostly apparent when bringing up the search bar, and sometimes when i'm doing a lot of app minimizing and launching

mrkgoo

It's pretty noticeable to me on the home screen when going back and forth between home screens. You'll see the framerate drop as you go from one screen to the next. It's one of the first things I check in any OS to see how smooth things are. I tried it out on three different 5Ss and two 5Cs at the Apple Store. It probably is just an optimization issue, but it's still disappointing to see.

Hmmm. Playing with mine at the moment. Maybe I see it. Maybe I don't. I guess I'm just less sensitive to it.

Like there's MAYBE a slight flicker? But not any jerky motion or anything. I only have 3 pages of apps, however. I wonder if that makes a difference.

I'm going to check my wife's iphone5, which is still on ios6.

Edit:hmm. I think I see what you mean. It's only barely noticeable side by side to me, though. It could just be all the parallax features.
Double edit: nope nothing to do with motion, and each it's more noticeable when pulling down search.

Hmmm. Playing with mine at the moment. Maybe I see it. Maybe I don't. I guess I'm just less sensitive to it.

Like there's MAYBE a slight flicker? But not any jerky motion or anything. I only have 3 pages of apps, however. I wonder if that makes a difference.

I'm going to check my wife's iphone5, which is still on ios6.

Edit:hmm. I think I see what you mean. It's only barely noticeable side by side to me, though. It could just be all the parallax features.

It's not like it drops to 15fps like it does on the iPhone 4. It's more like switching from 60fps to 30fps. Depending on how noticeable you can tell 60 from 30 will certainly impact your ability to see it. If you watch the icons as they scroll, they get less smooth in movement as you move to the next screen. It's definitely not the number of pages or even the number of apps because I was doing this in the Apple Store and there were only two pages and minimal apps installed. Maybe parallax impacts the performance as I didn't try turning it off to see if it helped.

oatmeal

Banned
I find Siri to be much improved. I actually use it for something other than reminders and text messages now. Even works with email and can launch apps. It does suck when it doesn't work or is acting slow. Not sure if that is OS or servers that can't handle it.

Haven't noticed any problem with iMessage but my friends have complained. Again I wonder if that is a problem with the servers or network.

And I have not noticed any difference with battery from ios6. I have never gotten as good battery life as I did with my 4 on ios4. Used to get insane battery back then.

One more thing. Apples wallpapers suck. The ones I downloaded are much better showcases for the parallax effect.

I'm restarting my phone once a day so my messages will be unstuck (forcing htem to cancel and I have to resend).

Siri doesn't help at all. "Siri call *wifes name*"

It hangs for about 15 seconds.

"I'm sorry I'm unable to help you right now" or whatever.

Happens more often than not. I have about a 25% success wth Siri.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Managed to fix my playlists if anyone was around for that convo a number of pages back, seems to be live updating again which is really nice.

An issue though with the new music player, well, kind of an issue. It seems Apple now gives you Artist image for your albums, which is odd as I recognise the artist by picture first and recognise the albums and no idea what some of them look like when I go past their picture, lol.

Is there a way to turn this off, or at least maybe choose my own artist pictures?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don't see either of them in that listing on any of my devices. What's the secret?

Yeah, that's really odd. I don't have Background App Refresh functionality for Facebook and Twitter either.
I honestly don't know. Both my iPhone and iPad has these switches and the evident effect of background refreshing in effect. I never have to manually "pull to refresh" my feeds in the apps in the morning these days.

Raw64life

So the top bar that displays the time and battery life and what not just disappeared on my phone. It will reappear when going into any app but on the main phone screen there's nothing. Is this a common occurrence?

EDIT: Nevermind fiddled with settings and restarted phone and now it's back

tmdorsey

Managed to fix my playlists if anyone was around for that convo a number of pages back, seems to be live updating again which is really nice.

How did you fix them?

I honestly don't know. Both my iPhone and iPad has these switches and the evident effect of background refreshing in effect. I never have to manually "pull to refresh" my feeds in the apps in the morning these days.

The only thing I can think is maybe like it was hinted at earlier, it automatically displays the toggle based on how frequently you open and refresh the apps. I know I don't open those apps that often.

Pyrokai

Hey iGAF,

I was SO CLOSE to buying a shiny green iPhone 5c today....I was at the checkout talking to the lady and everything....but....I just couldn't pull the trigger and dropped out at the last minute. Let me tell you my woes....

I'm an Android user here. Been an avid Android user for about 4 years now. I instantly fell in love with Android and what it offered over iOS at the time I got into it....

Fast forward to today, and I'm burned out on Android, tired of the bloat that manufacturers put on, and don't want to deal with rooting and all that nonsense just to get the stock version of Android on my machine.

With that said, I'm still deeply rooted in Google services and enjoy them still very much. I love what they do and a lot of their stuff I don't want to move away entirely. But I really want to get to know iOS (I've used it extensively enough). Here are some of my concerns:

--Some of the freedom and sharing options I enjoy from Android might make me feel locked-up if I switch to iPhone. Is Apple generally better with this stuff now?

--Customization (I don't use widgets) but....it still boggles my mind that I can't select custom tones for any given app (for example, the iOS Gmail app will only use the default tone alert set at the OS level.....ugh....)

--How free am I to drag and drop media files to and from my phone without the use of iTunes? Is iTunes still forced for media? I use iTunes for music.....but that's about it. I'd like to be able to choose other programs to use/sync/whatever for pictures and videos.

--Default applications......are all the default apps still locked at all the Apple apps? I'd like Chrome to be my default browser. Can this be done yet?

--As an avid Gmail user, I would like to continue using the contacts I've developed over the years from my Gmail (Google) account. Do contacts sync seamlessly with iPhone's contacts app?

--And most importantly....does the iPhone sync with Bluetooth in cars? Contacts, audio, text messages, etc? Specifically a Honda Civic? This might be the deal breaker for me if I can't seamlessly sync it with my car the way I can my current Android phone.

Vyer

It doesn't look much worse when the steps are laid out, but it takes longer and is more frustrating. This is just one example, of course. Sharing something like a YouTube link used to be a nightmare, but I believe that got rectified when Google released their own YouTube app instead of Apple's homegrown POS.

Yeah, if it's primarily a workflow through Hangouts it probably hasn't changed much.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
--Some of the freedom and sharing options I enjoy from Android might make me feel locked-up if I switch to iPhone. Is Apple generally better with this stuff now?
I don't understand what you mean.

--Customization (I don't use widgets) but....it still boggles my mind that I can't select custom tones for any given app (for example, the iOS Gmail app will only use the default tone alert set at the OS level.....ugh....)
It's weird yes. Some apps have customization, but others don't. But then again I think that's Google's fault. Not Apple. Apps can set whatever tone they want. The developer just needs to offer it. Blame Google.

--How free am I to drag and drop media files to and from my phone without the use of iTunes? Is iTunes still forced for media? I use iTunes for music.....but that's about it. I'd like to be able to choose other programs to use/sync/whatever for pictures and videos.
Depends. Yes for the most part, you do use iTunes for music. If you use Apple's services. There are other apps and other ways. But for Apple ecosystem stuff you use Apple apps like iTunes and iBooks. (Are you on OS X or Windows?)

--Default applications......are all the default apps still locked at all the Apple apps? I'd like Chrome to be my default browser. Can this be done yet?
Nope. Everyone wants it, but Apple won't give it. You just get used to it. Maybe one day. Maybe not. JailBreak usually gives it though. I am hoping with the new people in charge it might eventually come but don't count on it as fact.

--As an avid Gmail user, I would like to continue using the contacts I've developed over the years from my Gmail (Google) account. Do contacts sync seamlessly with iPhone's contacts app?
Yes. I just tried it out. Apple is really good at syncing both iCloud and Google account data. I just went to Gmail on my computer and added a contact and it synced to my iPhone and OS X Address Book. Seamless as a MacBook case. Calendar will also sync with Google Calendar.

Quick

Banned
So, how do you clear the items from the Missed section of Notification Centre.

I missed a call earlier today, and it's still there after I tapped the missed caller straight from it.

Edit: I decided to restart the phone, and it disappeared. That solved it.

Noema

I never got to use an iPhone before 1.1.4 so I don't know what the iPhone was like day 1, but I remember 2.0 being sort of buggy and even unresponsive, specially when entering text. It didn't help that the 3G was basically the same hardware as the OG iPhone with GPS and 3G, but so far iOS 7 seems better baked than 2.0 at the time.

Quick

Banned
I never got to use an iPhone before 1.1.4 so I don't know what the iPhone was like day 1, but I remember 2.0 being sort of buggy and even unresponsive, specially when entering text. It didn't help that the 3G was basically the same hardware as the OG iPhone with GPS and 3G, but so far iOS 7 seems better baked than 2.0 at the time.

I was referring to iOS 5 and 6. But I suppose that's all in how I worded that sentence.

I remember iOS 4 rendering my 2nd gen iPod Touch to purely a music player. It was seriously slow as hell.

mrkgoo

Is anyone else's photos apps show portrait photos aligned to the right edge?

I mean when you load a portrait oriented image, the photo is zoomed to fit. On iOS 6 it would zoom to fit but be centred. In iOS 7 it appears to be aligned to the right edge so the right is not cut at all, but the left is cut off more.

If you double-tap it zooms in, double-tap again and t zod back out to fit centred (ie correctly).

Does anyone else observe this phenomenon?

Pachimari

You can force an iMessage to send as an SMS by holding your finger on the speech bubble until a "send as text" prompt comes up. Like this:

imessage-as-text-message.jpeg

I think you can also long-press on the "Send" button too until it changes colors to green and that will send as a text, but I'm not positive.
For some reason, I can't do the long press on Send button to switch between SMS and iMessage in iOS 7.

spadge

Hey iGAF,

I was SO CLOSE to buying a shiny green iPhone 5c today....I was at the checkout talking to the lady and everything....but....I just couldn't pull the trigger and dropped out at the last minute. Let me tell you my woes....

I'm an Android user here. Been an avid Android user for about 4 years now. I instantly fell in love with Android and what it offered over iOS at the time I got into it....

Fast forward to today, and I'm burned out on Android, tired of the bloat that manufacturers put on, and don't want to deal with rooting and all that nonsense just to get the stock version of Android on my machine.

With that said, I'm still deeply rooted in Google services and enjoy them still very much. I love what they do and a lot of their stuff I don't want to move away entirely. But I really want to get to know iOS (I've used it extensively enough). Here are some of my concerns:

--And most importantly....does the iPhone sync with Bluetooth in cars? Contacts, audio, text messages, etc? Specifically a Honda Civic? This might be the deal breaker for me if I can't seamlessly sync it with my car the way I can my current Android phone.

I was in the same position as you, Completely bored of my Nexus 4 and iOS7 looked really nice. Dropped £470 on a blue 5C and I don't regret it at all. All the google stuff still works, chrome isn't default browser but most stuff you don't open with the browser (facebook links ect) opens in-app anyway.

The main difference I've found between the two OS's is how much better the apps are on iOS. Ebay, facebook, Even Chrome loads pages faster than my nexus.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
For some reason, I can't do the long press on Send button to switch between SMS and iMessage in iOS 7.

You can only do it if the message failed to send as iMessage, and via the (!) error notice not via long-press (also gives the option of sending as Email).

NinjaBoiX

imgur just sucks sometimes. even on 4g imgur links sometimes take their sweet time loading
Nah, it actually doesn't work, like they're getting blocked or something. Just an empty white box.
Is Cellular data enabled for your imgur app?
I have no idea how to check this! I can't find many options in the app.

I'll try the supplier homepage, see if there is some block I need to lift or something.

Nah, it actually doesn't work, like they're getting blocked or something. Just an empty white box.

I have no idea how to check this! I can't find many options in the app.

I'll try the supplier homepage, see if there is some block I need to lift or something.

Settings > Cellular > scroll down to imgur app under "Use Cellular Data For:" - make sure switch is on.

bionic77

It's not like it drops to 15fps like it does on the iPhone 4. It's more like switching from 60fps to 30fps. Depending on how noticeable you can tell 60 from 30 will certainly impact your ability to see it. If you watch the icons as they scroll, they get less smooth in movement as you move to the next screen. It's definitely not the number of pages or even the number of apps because I was doing this in the Apple Store and there were only two pages and minimal apps installed. Maybe parallax impacts the performance as I didn't try turning it off to see if it helped.
Are you sure it is the FPS and not the stupid slow horrible canned animations Apple has for everything?

I really hope they speed them up with the next update.

Top Bottom