• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

cchum

Guys.

I converted.

20131005_150324_zps1e3ec126.jpg

Welcome to the lions den.

Or a different smartphone whatever. I switched back also. Feels good man

jts

...hate me...
Why the music player pauses when I jump to Safari. Then I have to hit play from control center.

This was not the default behavior previously. No bueno.

cchum

Why the music player pauses when I jump to Safari. Then I have to hit play from control center.

This was not the default behavior previously. No bueno.

I can't replicate that man...
dunno works for me

Edit: how many tabs open in Safari? Or using unusual audio compression for audio files?

I've been browsing the web at like 5% brightness on 4g for a half an hour and I've only lost 2% battery. O_O

my iPhone 5 on iOS 7 is sick. and I'm still on 7.0

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Interesting. My phone is telling me the traffic conditions for my route to work. (It's 4:30 now and I work at 6pm) I do have it marked as an event in my calendar. I wonder if it is learning that my work calendar, which I always mark as location: Work, and knows I'm going there soon. This is exactly how I want it to work. Now if only they made it automatically set an alarm for a certain amount of time before the event. And I don't mean a silly event tone, but an actual alarm with snoozing and everything. If they did that it'd be perfect. They just need to make an easier way to set all my work schedules without having to tweak everything for every day.

dream

Interesting. My phone is telling me the traffic conditions for my route to work. (It's 4:30 now and I work at 6pm) I do have it marked as an event in my calendar. I wonder if it is learning that my work calendar, which I always mark as location: Work, and knows I'm going there soon. This is exactly how I want it to work. Now if only they made it automatically set an alarm for a certain amount of time before the event. And I don't mean a silly event tone, but an actual alarm with snoozing and everything. If they did that it'd be perfect. They just need to make an easier way to set all my work schedules without having to tweak everything for every day.

As best as I can tell, iOS 7 essentially logs your most frequent locations (Settings, Privacy, Location Services, System Services -> Frequent Locations) and uses that data to extrapolate when you'd be most likely to make the trek from, say, home to work.

cchum

Nah, tracks frequent location data. It's under>privacy>location services>system services
Read something about that last night.

Edit: Beaten. Also your alarm idea is good....real good.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As best as I can tell, iOS 7 essentially logs your most frequent locations (Settings, Privacy, Location Services, System Services -> Frequent Locations) and uses that data to extrapolate when you'd be most likely to make the trek from, say, home to work.
Yeah but my schedule changes every day. I don't always work at 6. Some days I work at 9AM or 8AM or 11AM or 4PM or 2PM. I've recently started putting my schedule in my calendar with each day marked as "Work" for location. I was hoping maybe iOS was getting smart, checking my calendar's events, looking at their locations, then telling me the conditions for the route there.

This is the first time I've ever seen it telling me my route TO work. It's usually just my route home FROM work. And since it's 2 hours before, it's not unusual to assume it magically knows I need to go to that location within the next few hours. It's really what "Now" is made to be. If it doesn't work like that, it should.

jts

...hate me...
I can't replicate that man...
dunno works for me

Edit: how many tabs open in Safari? Or using unusual audio compression for audio files?
Probably 5 or 6.

SOME of them were youtube tabs. But the problem happened even if the Youtube tab was not on focus when I opened Safari.

RAM shouldn't be the problem. iPhone 5 and the tracks were your run of the mill 256kbs vbr, or from the iTunes store.

But maybe those youtube tabs were the problem (but they shouldn't). I'll run some more tests.

Also, I was working it out, using the iPhone as a music source, and it shut itself down at 11% battery.

I've had enough of this farse, bring Forstall back immediately.

dream

Yeah but my schedule changes every day. I don't always work at 6. Some days I work at 9AM or 8AM or 11AM or 4PM or 2PM. I've recently started putting my schedule in my calendar with each day marked as "Work" for location. I was hoping maybe iOS was getting smart, checking my calendar's events, looking at their locations, then telling me the conditions for the route there.

This is the first time I've ever seen it telling me my route TO work. It's usually just my route home FROM work. And since it's 2 hours before, it's not unusual to assume it magically knows I need to go to that location within the next few hours. It's really what "Now" is made to be. If it doesn't work like that, it should.

Based on what I've seen from my own schedule, I think it's more along the lines of iOS figuring out where you are right now and telling you how long it would take you to drive to your next most frequently visited location. When I'm on campus, I basically get the "right now, it would take you X minutes to drive home" prompt all day long.

cchum

Probably 5 or 6.

SOME of them were youtube tabs. But the problem happened even if the Youtube tab was not on focus when I opened Safari.

RAM shouldn't be the problem. iPhone 5 and the tracks were your run of the mill 256kbs vbr, or from the iTunes store.

But maybe those youtube tabs were the problem (but they shouldn't). I'll run some more tests.

Also, I was working it out, using the iPhone as a music source, and it shut itself down at 11% battery.

I've had enough of this farse, bring Forstall back immediately.

Ok that did it. On youtube page, it worked fine. After playing a video and switching back and forth, got the pause. Some kind of audio override on youtube vid player I guess that may not shut off right.

Pyrokai

Okay, so I've done a little thinking, and I think I'd like to start COMPLETELY fresh with my iPhone AND my Apple ID. Let me tell you guys what I want to do and you guys can say if I'm going to have any problems or not.

I want to create a new Apple ID. I currently have a very old one with a lot of crap from the app store, iTunes, and so on. What I want to do SPECIFICALLY for music is this:

1. Download ALL the music I've ever bought that isn't currently saved on my computer from the iTunes store.

2. Deauthorize all computers except the one I am using for playback of this music. (Very curious....does this still apply to NEW music bought on iTunes or is it completely DRM free now? I haven't bought from iTunes in AGES. I've converted most of my music to the iTunes Plus format. Is that standard now?)

3. If I have any music lingering that still has DRM, I will upgrade it if possible.

4. Delete my Apple ID, however that is done. For good. Forever. No more.

5. Create a new Apple ID for use with my new iPhone and iTunes. The key here is that I want to be able to play all my old purchased music under this new account.

Does it look like I'm missing anything here or will this work for me?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Based on what I've seen from my own schedule, I think it's more along the lines of iOS figuring out where you are right now and telling you how long it would take you to drive to your next most frequently visited location. When I'm on campus, I basically get the "right now, it would take you X minutes to drive home" prompt all day long.
I am okay with this. As I mostly just go home and work. I just wish they'd put that Now stuff on the lock screen itself. It is out of the way tucked in that pull down. I'd love to see it when waking my phone up. Just the route information and weather. Maybe also the "next event" part too.

dream

I think it's a good start too, but when you look at how Google Now works on modern Android phones, there's a lot Apple can do to improve this in iOS.

jts

...hate me...
Ok that did it. On youtube page, it worked fine. After playing a video and switching back and forth, got the pause. Some kind of audio override on youtube vid player I guess that may not shut off right.
Right, after I restarted the phone the problem ceased existing, so yeah it's no biggie after all. Forcing close Safari would probably get the same results.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Okay, so I've done a little thinking, and I think I'd like to start COMPLETELY fresh with my iPhone AND my Apple ID. Let me tell you guys what I want to do and you guys can say if I'm going to have any problems or not.

I want to create a new Apple ID. I currently have a very old one with a lot of crap from the app store, iTunes, and so on. What I want to do SPECIFICALLY for music is this:

1. Download ALL the music I've ever bought that isn't currently saved on my computer from the iTunes store.

2. Deauthorize all computers except the one I am using for playback of this music. (Very curious....does this still apply to NEW music bought on iTunes or is it completely DRM free now? I haven't bought from iTunes in AGES. I've converted most of my music to the iTunes Plus format. Is that standard now?)

3. If I have any music lingering that still has DRM, I will upgrade it if possible.

4. Delete my Apple ID, however that is done. For good. Forever. No more.

5. Create a new Apple ID for use with my new iPhone and iTunes. The key here is that I want to be able to play all my old purchased music under this new account.

Does it look like I'm missing anything here or will this work for me?
For 1-3, you can download DRM free versions of everything your ever bought via your purchase history in iTunes. Everything music wise is DRM free.
For 4, I'm not sure but I'm betting there's a way on the appleid.apple.com management site somewhere.
5. Your purchased music plays fine anywhere, but it'll be irrevocably meta tagged with your old Apple ID that purchased the songs, but that doesn't matter if they're DRM free.

Pyrokai

For 1-3, you can download DRM free versions of everything your ever bought via your purchase history in iTunes. Everything music wise is DRM free.
For 4, I'm not sure but I'm betting there's a way on the appleid.apple.com management site somewhere.
5. Your purchased music plays fine anywhere, but it'll be irrevocably meta tagged with your old Apple ID that purchased the songs, but that doesn't matter if they're DRM free.

That's fine, as long as it can be played anywhere on any device after I upgrade it, that's all I really care about. The tagging is fine....unless it does matter, of course.

And all music is now DRM-free on iTunes, right?

I want to be absolutely sure here, lol.

Thanks for your help, by the way.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
That's fine, as long as it can be played anywhere on any device after I upgrade it, that's all I really care about. The tagging is fine....unless it does matter, of course.

And all music is now DRM-free on iTunes, right?

I want to be absolutely sure here, lol.

Thanks for your help, by the way.
Yeah they removed DRM on music years and years ago, and retroactively for all purchases as well (re-downloading needed ofc).

Does iOS 7 work well on iPhone 4? My GF's phone is still running 5.something jail broken.

Speaking of jail breaking, any news for iOS 7?

cchum

I am okay with this. As I mostly just go home and work. I just wish they'd put that Now stuff on the lock screen itself. It is out of the way tucked in that pull down. I'd love to see it when waking my phone up. Just the route information and weather. Maybe also the "next event" part too.

You may be right about the calendar thing (per os x mavericks calendar function):

"It shows your event’s location on a map, calculates travel time,"

http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/?c...uid=1ae44af8-064f-407c-8697-85e57d2ba5b3#maps

Are you sure it is the FPS and not the stupid slow horrible canned animations Apple has for everything?

I really hope they speed them up with the next update.

It's definitely a framerate issue and not a canned animation that's the problem. This is simply stuff sliding on the screen.

Pyrokai

Alright guys, here we go....

I'm going to sign into iTunes under my OLD username and download all the songs I've purchased from iTunes. Then I'm going to save these files to an external hard drive along with all the music I've obtained from other sources like Amazon. Then (I'm cleaning house today) I'm wiping my entire computer and starting over. I'm then going to create a NEW Apple ID for myself for use with my new iPhone/iTunes.

Will I be able to use the iTunes music I purchased in my NEW Apple account on my computer and on my iPhone? I'm asking again to make sure I'm absolutely clear.....I have this nagging feeling this isn't going to work. I know it works with Amazon files, but I just don't know for Apple.....

Only tested this on the iPad version of Game Center, but is anyone else able to make the screen get darker and darker by repeatedly clicking on the "..." icon in the Friends tab (I think it's used to share or something)?

Alright guys, here we go....

I'm going to sign into iTunes under my OLD username and download all the songs I've purchased from iTunes. Then I'm going to save these files to an external hard drive along with all the music I've obtained from other sources like Amazon. Then (I'm cleaning house today) I'm wiping my entire computer and starting over. I'm then going to create a NEW Apple ID for myself for use with my new iPhone/iTunes.

Will I be able to use the iTunes music I purchased in my NEW Apple account on my computer and on my iPhone? I'm asking again to make sure I'm absolutely clear.....I have this nagging feeling this isn't going to work. I know it works with Amazon files, but I just don't know for Apple.....
Add long as it's DRM free and not the older DRM protected music.

Omiee

i have a problem i hope you guys can help me with

so a few weeks ago i installed ios 7 beta although im not a developer. i recently got back from my vacation and wanted to restore my iphone but forgot. Today my iphone crashed and it said you need activation and i cant do anything with the phone since its stuck on the activitation developer screen.

when i tried restoring it to 6.1.4 it gave me error 3194.

how can i fix this?

Quick

Banned
i have a problem i hope you guys can help me with

so a few weeks ago i installed ios 7 beta although im not a developer. i recently got back from my vacation and wanted to restore my iphone but forgot. Today my iphone crashed and it said you need activation and i cant do anything with the phone since its stuck on the activitation developer screen.

when i tried restoring it to 6.1.4 it gave me error 3194.

how can i fix this?

Download the IPSW and manually restore it.

Open iTunes > iPhone > Shift/Control + Click "Restore" and select the IPSW file.

Synless

I finally checked out the 5S today and the one thing that surprised me is that even on the 5S, iOS7 stutters. It was kinda shocking to see Apple's flagship phone which launched with the new OS didn't have this straightened out. The lack of stuttering was always one of the draws for an iPhone for me. I sure hope they optimize it in an update. I'm sure it's because it's a complete overhaul that is part of the problem but it's still surprising to see it there.
I just came off the 4s and have been using my 5s non-stop. I have witnessed absolutely no stutter whatsoever. Even my wife's 5c runs almost flawless.

mrkgoo

Aaaannnddd everything seems to have gone super smoothly!

Only took me all day, haha.

But now I can finally relax and enjoy my new iPhone :)
Out of curiosity, why the complete new Apple ID?

I get starting over - I do it occasionally with new toys, but I stick to one account.

Incidentally, the 5GB apple gives you is kinda low. The worst part is if you buy lots of apple devices, and you need more space, you're actually even more limited. Apple should give you 5GB per device activated on that Apple ID. Or some system similar if they are worried about people selling and gaming tr system, like maybe 5GB per class of device perhaps (Mac, iPad, iPhone).

Like if you get an iphone and a new Apple ID, that's 5GB for you. Get a mac or iPad another 5GB, max 15 GB. Sweet.

Quick

Banned
i tried that but i keep getting the error pop up. i even tried the whole host thing and i still keep getting the error thing

That's weird.

So, you shift (or control) clicked the Restore button, and a box popped up and you selected your IPSW file, and an error came up.

You could try plugging it in and holding the sleep/power button and home button at the same time. That'll put your device on DFU mode and you can try it again.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You may be right about the calendar thing (per os x mavericks calendar function):

"It shows your event’s location on a map, calculates travel time,"

http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/?c...uid=1ae44af8-064f-407c-8697-85e57d2ba5b3#maps
If I wake up tomorrow (At a totally different time than I worked today) and it is telling me my route to work, I'm going to assume it is learning my work schedule from my calendar. I really want to believe. Because it's how a personal assistant should work on a modern cell phone.

I called it Now earlier by accident. lol, that's Google. This is Today.

chidrock

Download the IPSW and manually restore it.

Open iTunes > iPhone > Shift/Control + Click "Restore" and select the IPSW file.

I just had the same problem, but I did it with "check for update" instead of "restore". After all of that was done, I had a scary moment when I first turned on my phone and it said activation required, but that went away and I had to enter my iCloud password. It's working fine now *knocks on wood*

Just curious, but are we going to have to do this with every update going forward, or will we be able to do it the usual way again now that we are on 7.0.2?

Quick

Banned
I just had the same problem, but I did it with "check for update" instead of "restore". After all of that was done, I had a scary moment when I first turned on my phone and it said activation required, but that went away and I had to enter my iCloud password. It's working fine now *knocks on wood*

Just curious, but are we going to have to do this with every update going forward, or will we be able to do it the usual way again now that we are on 7.0.2?

You should be fine now that you're not on a beta or GM.

Pyrokai

Out of curiosity, why the complete new Apple ID?

I get starting over - I do it occasionally with new toys, but I stick to one account.

Well, to tell the truth, I almost didn't, and I don't know if it was the best way, but I my music collection was messy....and it kept a history of my apps from when I owned an iPhone yeaaarrsss ago. I found out there was no way to "refresh" that list, and the fact that it was showing music in my iTunes collection that I simply didn't want there (but was downloadable) was driving me bonkers.

So, I just started completely fresh. Like, I can't get fresher than this, lol. It just felt like lingering metadata on me was floating here and there, and that's kinda what I wanted eliminated.

Yes. I just tried it out. Apple is really good at syncing both iCloud and Google account data. I just went to Gmail on my computer and added a contact and it synced to my iPhone and OS X Address Book. Seamless as a MacBook case. Calendar will also sync with Google Calendar.

I meant to comment on this.....this is very cool. Is iCloud necessary to sync the Contacts app on OS X? I've got Google contacts to sync perfectly with my phone, but when I go to iCloud.com, the contacts there are blank. I've turned iCloud "on" on my phone and had it sync my contacts. Anything I'm missing here? Going from Google>iPhone>iCloud>OSX and being able to update anyone of those four and it reflect on all the others would be GODLIKE, I tell you!!!!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I meant to comment on this.....this is very cool. Is iCloud necessary to sync the Contacts app on OS X? I've got Google contacts to sync perfectly with my phone, but when I go to iCloud.com, the contacts there are blank. I've turned iCloud "on" on my phone and had it sync my contacts. Anything I'm missing here? Going from Google>iPhone>iCloud>OSX and being able to update anyone of those four and it reflect on all the others would be GODLIKE, I tell you!!!!
No. iCloud and Google Sync are separate features and most of the apps have both. It's under OS X Preferences in the Accounts section. Add your Google account and you can turn on Mail (Which adds a POP Gmail account to Mail automatically), Contacts, Calendars, Messages (Google Talk) and Notes.

You obviously have to modify them separately, but it syncs it to the respective cloud for you. I had forgotten Google had all my old contacts from when I had an Android because when I got my iPhone it synced my duplicate addresses from my OS X/iPod touch Contacts list. When I turned it on to look at it I saw all the old contacts I didn't even use anymore that Google had stored for me. And they popped up on all devices I enabled them on.

Hopefully Apple never cuts their ties to Google completely (After removing Maps and YouTube) and removes the ability to do that.

I just came off the 4s and have been using my 5s non-stop. I have witnessed absolutely no stutter whatsoever. Even my wife's 5c runs almost flawless.

Well of course because it's going to feel and be much faster than what you're used to. It's there though. Be glad that you either can't see it or you're not sensitive to it.

Synless

Well of course because it's going to feel and be much faster than what you're used to. It's there though. Be glad that you either can't see it or you're not sensitive to it.
I am very sensitive to framerates. The reason I mentioned coming off the 4s is that I put it through a series of stress tests and was impressed with how good the performance was. I can in no way recreate these drops in framerate you are speaking about.

Finally been hit with the iOS 7 iMessage bug on friday night, did not notice until I saw a few messages were still trying to send about an hour after sending them, bah.

You can fix this by resetting the clock or something right?

Iacobellis

No. iCloud and Google Sync are separate features and most of the apps have both. It's under OS X Preferences in the Accounts section. Add your Google account and you can turn on Mail (Which adds a POP Gmail account to Mail automatically), Contacts, Calendars, Messages (Google Talk) and Notes.

You obviously have to modify them separately, but it syncs it to the respective cloud for you. I had forgotten Google had all my old contacts from when I had an Android because when I got my iPhone it synced my duplicate addresses from my OS X/iPod touch Contacts list. When I turned it on to look at it I saw all the old contacts I didn't even use anymore that Google had stored for me. And they popped up on all devices I enabled them on.

Hopefully Apple never cuts their ties to Google completely (After removing Maps and YouTube) and removes the ability to do that.

Steve once contemplated on removing Google search from iOS. I wish the war between Google and Apple never happened, I liked having Google services integrated with the OS.

solarus

The magnifying glass can be frustratingly unusable in the facebook chat and ic an't move my cursor back a few lines, maybe it's just me. Elsewhere it's completely fine though.

Top Bottom