• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

The magnifying glass can be frustratingly unusable in the facebook chat and ic an't move my cursor back a few lines, maybe it's just me. Elsewhere it's completely fine though.

I find it useless no matter where it's being used. It's been a year since I switched from android 2.2, and I can't remember the solution that used, but it was a hell of a lot more elegant (and useful).

solarus

I find it useless no matter where it's being used. It's been a year since I switched from android 2.2, and I can't remember the solution that used, but it was a hell of a lot more elegant (and useful).

Yeah I'd say I was being kind saying it's fine everywhere else, it definitely has usability issues, and I agree that the android implementation was much better from my experience (using 2.3 and 4.0).

Vyer

Wait, are you guys talking about for text selection/cursor movement? Because if so I completely disagree. Android's cursor/text selection is absolutely terrible.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The magnifying glass can be frustratingly unusable in the facebook chat and ic an't move my cursor back a few lines, maybe it's just me. Elsewhere it's completely fine though.
Have had absolutely no problems with the magnifier. It's bigger and better in iOS 7 than iOS 6 even. YMMV I suppose.

I am very sensitive to framerates. The reason I mentioned coming off the 4s is that I put it through a series of stress tests and was impressed with how good the performance was. I can in no way recreate these drops in framerate you are speaking about.
I'm really sensitive too and it was obvious on three different stock models in the Apple Store. The easiest way to replicate it is to slide back and forth between home screens and pay attention to the movement of the icons moving horizontal.

Quick

Banned
I'm really sensitive too and it was obvious on three different stock models in the Apple Store. The easiest way to replicate it is to slide back and forth between home screens and pay attention to the movement of the icons moving horizontal.

I'm not seeing it any lag.

Vyer

I've got a 4 with iOS 6, a 5 with 7 and a 5s with 7 all in the house right now and I'm not seeing any lag either.

iOS 7 does have some bugs to work out though.

Pastry

Banned
This has been really confusing me. My car has Microsoft Sync and anytime I enter the car it automatically starts playing whatever music I was listening to last, I use Spotify for my music. Around 25% of the time it will automatically start playing from the music app on the phone, even though I never use the music app, I assume it's playing from Itunes Radio. It does this even though the music app is never open in the background. Whenever I open up the Spotify app it automatically switches back to whatever I was listening to in Spotify last. It's kind of an annoying issue. Anyone else having this issue?

I'm not seeing it any lag.
Maybe the store displays are different than retail units in their version of the OS since it looks like you couldn't access the finger print sensor outside of the demo app. I'll have to try a friend's out but it was there in the demo units. It's very minor and I think anyone who has trouble seeing 60 vs 30 or isn't frame sensitive wouldn't even notice.

Iacobellis

Actually I like having YouTube and Maps separate. So Google can update them when they want to. The YouTube app has had more updates since separation than in the entire time it was integrated.

I guess. I'm such a design freak and dislike the separate UI from iOS and the Google apps. Especially when nearly none of them have been updated for iOS 7.

They can't update built in apps?

Apple can, but they usually only do it with the major updates. For example, the YouTube app didn't have the Like/Dislike system until iOS 4. That was months after it was implemented on the site.

burgerdog

What's the best google talk/aim chat app on iOS now? Beejive is incredibly frustrating to use now and I need to switch to another app if it's going to remain this way.

mrkgoo

Is there a reason why when using Siri it doesn't cancel out others voices?
It's supposed to, but maybe the algorithm
Is just registering he other voices because they are too loud?

I THINK it would use the secondary mic to know which - maybe check if the secondary mic is blocked (the one on the back with the main camera). Maybe try to record a video to see if the mic is working.

Note, I'm only assuming it uses tr second mic to notice cancel/ Siri

My wife is having some post io7 syncing issues and I'm curious if GAF can help since I'm part of the great unwashed android group and can't seem to fix it for her.

Playlists on the computer are not fully syncing with her iPad mini. Nearly everything is carrying over, but a solid 15-20 are not still. We unsynced everything and just resynced it which fixed a few songs, but not all.

Appreciate any suggestions :)

Battery life with iOS 7 seems worse with my 4th Gen iPad except for in one area, videos. I streamed Justin Timberlake in the iTunes Festival app and the battery didn't drop at all (was coming from fully charged). Amazing.

IceCold

Does the apple operating system run more efficiently than android?

I'm asking because i own both an htc one and an iPhone 5c and I swear with lower settings on both phones, my battery on 5c lasts longer.

Additionally, it takes my android seemingly a lot longer to charge

Of course. iOS is optimized for the hardware it runs on, unlike Android. That's the benefit of controlling both the software and hardware of your products.

However don't forget that Android phones tend to have large screens. That's the largest battery killer.

DarkWish

Any way to view recently closed tabs in Safari on iPhone? It used to be via holding down the + button which was for opening new tabs, but that doesn't work anymore. I've accidentally closed some tabs before and it would be nice to have this feature but I can't figure out how it works in iOS 7.

mrkgoo

Of course. iOS is optimized for the hardware it runs on, unlike Android. That's the benefit of controlling both the software and hardware of your products.

However don't forget that Android phones tend to have large screens. That's the largest battery killer.

The larger screen also means larger body, meaning larger battery. I think it's a wash in screen vs battery life.

Garret

I wouldn't even consider picking up an iPhone 5S but the gold is driving me insane. I have an iPhone 5. Why is this so tempting? Someone tell me that the gold iPhone 6 will look even better. Please. Keep me from jumping off the edge.

I got an iPhone 5 this January. I'm not changing it 'till iPhone 6 gets released. Stay strong, mate, the 5S is not worth the upgrade if you still have a 5.

plastik

My wife is having some post io7 syncing issues and I'm curious if GAF can help since I'm part of the great unwashed android group and can't seem to fix it for her.

Playlists on the computer are not fully syncing with her iPad mini. Nearly everything is carrying over, but a solid 15-20 are not still. We unsynced everything and just resynced it which fixed a few songs, but not all.

Appreciate any suggestions :)

Reinstall iTunes.

fireside

Any way to view recently closed tabs in Safari on iPhone? It used to be via holding down the + button which was for opening new tabs, but that doesn't work anymore. I've accidentally closed some tabs before and it would be nice to have this feature but I can't figure out how it works in iOS 7.

Look at your history?

but they have better battery life...

Fret

The biggest problem with iOS7 I've found is how the background of the home screen can completely change how the entire thing looks. This can be really good when you have a background that is mildly colourful such as this:

1Uw.jpg

But put any other sort of dark or super bright background in and it looks terrible:

Mindwipe

Actually I like having YouTube and Maps separate. So Google can update them when they want to. The YouTube app has had more updates since separation than in the entire time it was integrated.

I'd agree with that if iOS had a better intents system and OS level default application setting.

If I could get contacts to point to Google Maps that'd be great. I'm already missing it from iOS6 jailbreak.

The biggest problem with iOS7 I've found is how the background of the home screen can completely change how the entire thing looks. This can be really good when you have a background that is mildly colourful such as this:

But put any other sort of dark or super bright background in and it looks terrible:

I think the main reason the second background doesn't look good is it's way too busy. It makes the font over it hard to read. Light or dark, simple backgrounds usually look better.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Anyone know how to disable the artist pictures in music? It is driving me up the wall to have half my music collection on my phone with Apple chosen pictures and the other half album art.

Hell, is taken being able to choose my own, better than this shot of some big band from far away who you can't actually make out very well.

Fret

I think the main reason the second background doesn't look good is it's way too busy. It makes the font over it hard to read. Light or dark, simple backgrounds usually look better.

Even simple backgrounds dont look good to me:

Maybe its the arrangement of my apps, but thats the problem, I shouldnt have to move my apps to makes it look decent.

I guess I just find it annoying that the OSs look depends so much on how good the background is

gblues

Banned
Maybe the store displays are different than retail units in their version of the OS since it looks like you couldn't access the finger print sensor outside of the demo app. I'll have to try a friend's out but it was there in the demo units. It's very minor and I think anyone who has trouble seeing 60 vs 30 or isn't frame sensitive wouldn't even notice.

I'm not seeing any lag on my 5c, either. Although I have noticed the odd frame drop in the parallax effect, but that is simple accelerometer lag.

LCfiner

Even simple backgrounds dont look good to me:

Maybe its the arrangement of my apps, but thats the problem, I shouldnt have to move my apps to makes it look decent.

I guess I just find it annoying that the OSs look depends so much on how good the background is

the very dark backgrounds clash with the light colored icons - even the third party apps you have tend to use lighter colors so the bits of blue and black and grey behind it look kinda bad. plus the amorphous shape of the second image make the thing seem unbalanced.

if you want something dark, try a uniform gradient type background or something with a subtle, uniform texture. but with the setup you have with the half empty dock and the apps you have on the home screen, you’re probably better off sticking with lighter coloured backgrounds, if you care about the look

Pachimari

To anyone saying we should just let 3G and Wifi stay on without turning any of them off are crazy.

7 days into the new month and I have already used half of my data.

I'll definitely turn off cellular when I'm not using it!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Those new multicolored ball grids in the window of the apple stores are pretty ugly, who approved that?

Iacobellis

I just noticed this update almost completes Apple's transition to Retina-based iOS devices. iPad Mini and iPad 2 are holding them back.

mrkgoo

To anyone saying we should just let 3G and Wifi stay on without turning any of them off are crazy.

What's your data cap? I have 500 MB a month and I never turn off 3G it wifi.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just noticed this update almost completes Apple's transition to Retina-based iOS devices. iPad Mini and iPad 2 are holding them back.
iPad 2 doesn't count. It'll be replaced with the 4 before they give it a Retina. Seeing as an iPad 2 with Retina is basically the iPad 3, which was a problem. So I fully expect a 4 to replace the 2 if ever.

But iPad mini, that's a given. It's a main iPad line (Whereas the iPad 2 was just a cheaper option for normal iPad users) and will get Retina before long. Hopefully.

But once both are either gone or updated, yeah, iOS Retina is a complete go.

Next stop, all the Macs and displays. lol

Iacobellis

iPad 2 doesn't count. It'll be replaced with the 4 before they give it a Retina. Seeing as an iPad 2 with Retina is basically the iPad 3, which was a problem. So I fully expect a 4 to replace the 2 if ever.

But iPad mini, that's a given. It's a main iPad line (Whereas the iPad 2 was just a cheaper option for normal iPad users) and will get Retina before long. Hopefully.

But once both are either gone or updated, yeah, iOS Retina is a complete go.

Next stop, all the Macs and displays. lol

I think Apple is just waiting on Intel to catch up, at least for the Airs. I cannot imagine that a 5120 x 3200 display and capable-GPU will be ready next year for iMacs. I'm thinking 2015 or 2016 at the earliest.

Quick

Banned

Doesn't Wi-Fi take over for data once you connect to a network? I could be wrong, of course, but this is what I've always assumed.

I guess there might be some background apps that use data. Either your data cap is pretty small or you watch a ton of videos on 3G if you're already halfway through your limit.

Those new multicolored ball grids in the window of the apple stores are pretty ugly, who approved that?

I kind of like them. :p

What's your data cap? I have 500 MB a month and I never turn off 3G it wifi.

I figure 500MB is a nice entry-level limit if you have Wi-Fi available everywhere.

Pachimari

My cap is 1GB and I never watch video.

I do GAF, Reeder, Twitter and that's pretty much it I think.

Actually I'm also streaming music since using iTunes Radio more. Just mind blown having already used 512MB.

It must be the music, as I almost never use the phone when I'm on the move.

Quick

Banned

Actually I'm also streaming music since using iTunes Radio more. Just mind blown having already used 512MB.

Probably iTunes Radio eating up your data.

I had 1GB and I didn't hit my limit that fast, and I watched tons of videos.

Now, with my 6GB of data, I feel like I HAVE to use up at least half. :p

LCfiner

It must be the music, as I almost never use the phone when I'm on the move.

Yeah, it’s the music streaming. it’s gonna be approximately 6 to 9 MB per song. so, less than 100 songs and you got a lot of data usage happening.

After I got itunes match last year, my data usage went from under 1 Gb a month to 2 to 4 GB a month easily. I have a 6 GB plan

mrkgoo

Probably iTunes Radio eating up your data.

I had 1GB and I didn't hit my limit that fast, and I watched tons of videos.

Now, with my 6GB of data, I feel like I HAVE to use up at least half. :p
Under iOS 7 you can see the exact amount of data used by 3G on a per-app basis.

Settings -> mobile. You have granular control of which apps have access to 3G.

Anyway the point was that for the most part, you don't have to manage the radios.

Top Bottom