• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish Apple would build in a way to manually put certain images in the Wallpaper folder. It's really silly that all images, including screenshots and any files you want to use as wallpaper all go into the Camera Roll, then in turn get uploaded to your Photo Stream. You should be able to move images to the Wallpaper folder if you want, and screenshots should be kept separate with a way to manually pop them onto the Photo Stream if you need to.

Anyway, after doing some tests, I did discover that the white overlay will change to black on a light colored wallpaper, but there seems to be a weird bug with Emoji in folder titles...
ibffNEdAfZXJSx.PNG

For some reason it's coloring the Emoji as well. Completely ruining them.

mrkgoo

I think the folder titles look better with colorless Emoji.

They aren't entirely colourless, as you can still make out some detail if you look close enough.

But yeah it does look kinda neat. It's obviously it's not changing don't colour anything, but applying some darkening layer.

Edit: at least on the main home screen view. When you open a folder the emoji is a larger font and is coloured.

I wish Apple would build in a way to manually put certain images in the Wallpaper folder. It's really silly that all images, including screenshots and any files you want to use as wallpaper all go into the Camera Roll, then in turn get uploaded to your Photo Stream. You should be able to move images to the Wallpaper folder if you want, and screenshots should be kept separate with a way to manually pop them onto the Photo Stream if you need to.

I agree that's it's annoying to go to iCloud album every time to delete screenshot pics. But it's a very small thing that apple won't ever bother with as I'm sure 99.9% of people don't care

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They aren't entirely colourless, as you can still make out some detail if you look close enough.

But yeah it does look kinda neat. It's obviously it's not changing don't colour anything, but applying some darkening layer.

Edit: at least on the main home screen view. When you open a folder the emoji is a larger font and is coloured.
It's a bug.

They need to fix it.

Probably overlooked because it's not common for people to use Emoji in folder names.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Speaking of bugs. Is the Music app in general super buggy for anyone else? (I'm on a 4S)

For me I have two main bugs. One where the music pauses slightly when I unlock the phone while it's playing and the other is really bad in that the lock screen time bar will freeze in place while a song is playing, but when I unlock the phone and the Music app is front and center, the song will rewind itself back to the point the lock screen was showing. This is really annoying with iTunes Radio when I have to listen to the same song again because you can't fast-forward and skipping songs is a penalty (In this day and age of 2013 the goddamn labels still want to shove stupid rules down your throats.)

Not only that but occasionally it also displays the wrong song on the lock screen if it's sleeping long enough and enough songs have passed.

Here's my main beef with the music app:

I'm using a 5S with iOS 7.0.2. Whenever I import any music purchased from iTunes, it completely disregards any changes I've made to the metadata, and reverts back to the default metadata as seen in the iTunes Store.

For example, I download Biome's "Abyss EP." The default metadata has the title as "Abyss - EP" so I change it to "Abyss EP" cause I don't want the hyphen. I import the album onto my phone, with the "manually manage my music and videos" box checked, and everything still looks fine when I check the music on my phone through iTunes. When I look at the album on my phone though, the title goes right back to "Abyss - EP."

I should note that I don't use iTunes Match and I've deselected every option to display any purchases in the cloud. Thus far, I've only found one workaround: If I sign out of my Apple ID from the iTunes & App Store menu in settings on my phone, then import music, the metadata stays the way I want it.

It's annoying and I hope Apple fixes it.

pubba

I like the new iOS but as expected, it's laggy on my old iPad 2. If I select an app from the selector bar, it sometimes takes a few seconds for it to load. It used to be almost instant. The pages app and even the settings tab load up slowly.

Any word on the next iPad model release? I want a new toy.

I like the new iOS but as expected, it's laggy on my old iPad 2. If I select an app from the selector bar, it sometimes takes a few seconds for it to load. It used to be almost instant. The pages app and even the settings tab load up slowly.

Any word on the next iPad model release? I want a new toy.

New iPad's this month

Possibly announcement of conference next week or week after then conference following week

iOS 7 is simply not optimized well for iPad, so much wasted space (3x3 folders on 7 and 10" screens, terrible music app....), I have an iPad 4, it stutters every time I use 4 finger close gesture, never did that before.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really hate that I can't tap outside the thumbnail area when in Task Manager to exit out of it and return to the current app. It's really really annoying and unresponsive when I have to tap the thumbnail itself.

Speaking of bugs. Is the Music app in general super buggy for anyone else? (I'm on a 4S)

For me I have two main bugs. One where the music pauses slightly when I unlock the phone while it's playing and the other is really bad in that the lock screen time bar will freeze in place while a song is playing, but when I unlock the phone and the Music app is front and center, the song will rewind itself back to the point the lock screen was showing. This is really annoying with iTunes Radio when I have to listen to the same song again because you can't fast-forward and skipping songs is a penalty (In this day and age of 2013 the goddamn labels still want to shove stupid rules down your throats.)

Not only that but occasionally it also displays the wrong song on the lock screen if it's sleeping long enough and enough songs have passed.

I've had that. Similarly I've found the lock screen/control center stuff to be borderline unusable for the Podcast app. It's incredibly frustrating. Pausing/resuming only works for me about 20% of the time, and I mostly just have to go into the podcast app itself to resume.

Plus they haven't addressed the bug where if you've last listened to a podcast, and you hit play in control panel after a period of time, it always defaults back to music instead of the thing you were listening to last.

As someone who primarily listens to podcasts on my device, it's frustrating to lose functionality. Maybe when they finally get around to updating their Podcast app to iOS7 it'll fix itself.

pubba

New iPad's this month

Possibly announcement of conference next week or week after then conference following week

iOS 7 is simply not optimized well for iPad, so much wasted space (3x3 folders on 7 and 10" screens, terrible music app....), I have an iPad 4, it stutters every time I use 4 finger close gesture, never did that before.

Thanks Ken. I guess it's a kind of clever form of built-in obsolescence.. Keep releasing more resource hungry versions if the operating system until older devices are annoying to use.

New iPad this month or ps4 next month? I'll probably go for the iPad because I use it every day at work. Ps4 can wait..

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Under iOS 7 you can see the exact amount of data used by 3G on a per-app basis.

Settings -> mobile. You have granular control of which apps have access to 3G.

Anyway the point was that for the most part, you don't have to manage the radios.

It's in Settings > Cellular, then scroll down for a list of apps with toggles.

My main app culprits of 3G data usage are App Store and AppShopper, and for system services (at the very bottom) it's Safari, my iTunes Account (in lieu of using the App Store to update apps) and my various Mail accounts.

But yeah, people fretting over data usage, remember that almost everything uses cellular data at one point, be it setting your Time Zone or re-arranging your Home Screen (it syncs with iCloud backups).

Mindwipe

I've had that. Similarly I've found the lock screen/control center stuff to be borderline unusable for the Podcast app. It's incredibly frustrating. Pausing/resuming only works for me about 20% of the time, and I mostly just have to go into the podcast app itself to resume.

Plus they haven't addressed the bug where if you've last listened to a podcast, and you hit play in control panel after a period of time, it always defaults back to music instead of the thing you were listening to last.

As someone who primarily listens to podcasts on my device, it's frustrating to lose functionality. Maybe when they finally get around to updating their Podcast app to iOS7 it'll fix itself.

I'm not having any issues there with Downcast.

I suspect, as always, the issue is that the Apple Podcast app is a buggy POS.

Gaaraz

Is there anyway in iOS to make the screen dimmer then usual without a jailbreak? Really want to update my iPad from iOS 5, but need the dimmer app... :(

That's not the point.

It is the point, both would require one press and provide the same function

Have you submitted these to Apple ?

Haribo

Banned
Is there anyway in iOS to make the screen dimmer then usual without a jailbreak? Really want to update my iPad from iOS 5, but need the dimmer app... :(
Swipe up from the bottom of the screen and turn down brightness. Only takes a second.

Gaaraz

Thanks... but I meant below the default setting, the lowest brightness on my iPad 2 is still far too bright at night for me

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sorry I thought you were looking for ways to return to your current app when in task manager.
The point is I want to touch outside the thumbnail like I could touch the upper area in iOS6. Moving the thumb from the screen to the home button is actually more of an inconvenience when it could be handled much better.

The point is I want to touch outside the thumbnail like I could touch the upper area in iOS6. Moving the thumb from the screen to the home button is actually more of an inconvenience when it could be handled much better.
Its not like the distance between the swipe area and the home button is a large chasm, dude.

How do you report bugs to Apple? I have similar issues as you do with my Music app.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Question on Music/Podcast issues...

I recently downloaded a back catalog of a podcast I listen to. I don't think I can import the files as a podcast (if I can, I'm not sure HOW to), so I've transferred the files as music files. In the past, if I were listening to a podcast and came back to it later, it would remember where I left off. With music, it doesn't seem to do that.

Example being - the music file was at 30 minutes or so. I hadn't changed the song or anything, but when I came back to it a day later, it had reset to 0. Is there a way to fix this/change this??

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Its not like the distance between the swipe area and the home button is a large chasm, dude.

How do you report bugs to Apple? I have similar issues as you do with my Music app.
It wouldn't be a problem if the OS jumped back to the Home screen when you close the last app. There's no reason to keep a single homescreen in the center waiting for a tap. Just switch back to it when I close the last app.

And I have no idea, but it's annoying. I just had it happen again. It's terrible at switching from the lock screen. It even happened with a different app. I had to switch to Music to move the cursor manually because it jumped back to the beginning of the song.

Kronotech

This has been really confusing me. My car has Microsoft Sync and anytime I enter the car it automatically starts playing whatever music I was listening to last, I use Spotify for my music. Around 25% of the time it will automatically start playing from the music app on the phone, even though I never use the music app, I assume it's playing from Itunes Radio. It does this even though the music app is never open in the background. Whenever I open up the Spotify app it automatically switches back to whatever I was listening to in Spotify last. It's kind of an annoying issue. Anyone else having this issue?

I'm having a similar issue with my ios7 and bluetooth in my car. When my car starts playing music, it will either:

A. Continue playing the song that was playing last
B. Start a song that played 5-6 songs back.
C. Completely disregard the playlist that was playing and instead, shuffle every single song I have on my phone, playing a random mix I never wanted.

Pyrokai

My car syncing issue (Honda Civic) has been text messages don't work with the car :(

The contacts, bluetooth, and everything else works very well though.

mrkgoo

It's in Settings > Cellular, then scroll down for a list of apps with toggles.

My main app culprits of 3G data usage are App Store and AppShopper, and for system services (at the very bottom) it's Safari, my iTunes Account (in lieu of using the App Store to update apps) and my various Mail accounts.

But yeah, people fretting over data usage, remember that almost everything uses cellular data at one point, be it setting your Time Zone or re-arranging your Home Screen (it syncs with iCloud backups).

Really, rearranging home screen uses cellular data? I thought icloud backups were carried out during times if low use.

Also it's funny hue region settings change little things like referring it to 'mobile' or 'cellular'

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm finding 7.0.2 on my iPad Mini pretty disappointing. I can deal with the slight lagginess and general 'slow' feeling, but it keeps kicking apps out of memory. I had four apps open last night - Safari, with a single tab, Messages, Rdio and a Picross game I play called Pixel This. Multiple times filling out a form on Safari, it'd either crash, or I'd switch back to messages to get some info for the form and when I went back to Safari it'd reload the page. It's the same behaviour my fucking horrible HTC One X used to do, making the most basic tasks almost impossible - anyone else having this issue? It never used to happen with iOS 6 and it's driving me insane.

I'm finding 7.0.2 on my iPad Mini pretty disappointing. I can deal with the slight lagginess and general 'slow' feeling, but it keeps kicking apps out of memory. I had four apps open last night - Safari, with a single tab, Messages, Rdio and a Picross game I play called Pixel This. Multiple times filling out a form on Safari, it'd either crash, or I'd switch back to messages to get some info for the form and when I went back to Safari it'd reload the page. It's the same behaviour my fucking horrible HTC One X used to do, making the most basic tasks almost impossible - anyone else having this issue? It never used to happen with iOS 6 and it's driving me insane.

October 22nd you will have your answer

Figured that'd the response. How shitty. Time to get this sucker on ebay!

My iPad is already is already on Craigslist, hoping I can take my annual $100 loss for iPad upgrade, trick is to sell it before Apple officially announces the conference, otherwise eBay and Craigslist will be flooded with iPad mini and iPad 4s

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Another feature I liked that seems to be missing in iOS 7 is in Messages when I get a message, it used to always open to that person when I open the app, even if it's later on. If there's a message, it would open to the message list and show it. Now it always opens to the conversation list. Really bummed about that.

Guess Who

Banned
Another feature I liked that seems to be missing in iOS 7 is in Messages when I get a message, it used to always open to that person when I open the app, even if it's later on. If there's a message, it would open to the message list and show it. Now it always opens to the conversation list. Really bummed about that.

This was done for the sake of iMessage users with read receipts. This way you can open the app without viewing the last message and marking it as read when maybe you're just trying to get to another conversation.

Ollie Pooch

My iPad is already is already on Craigslist, hoping I can take my annual $100 loss for iPad upgrade, trick is to sell it before Apple officially announces the conference, otherwise eBay and Craigslist will be flooded with iPad mini and iPad 4s
Yeah, I think I'll do the same. And hope this Oct 22 rumour is acutally true !

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

weird i don't have those issues and i feel my mini moves pretty good with ios 7. The only problems that i have with the new os is that is slower to boot and shutdown and the battery life seems worse.

Ollie Pooch

weird i don't have those issues and i feel my mini moves pretty good with ios 7. The only problems that i have with the new os is that is slower to boot and shutdown and the battery life seems worse.
I don't mind the battery life too much, it does seem a bit lower but it's always near a power point so that's ok. It's very weird, I can't remember it happening much since the upgrade until last night, but it was basically making everything I was trying to do pretty difficult. Maybe it's just a bug.

Symphonia

Banned
So they've updated Snapchat and Kik for iOS 7, but not WhatsApp? C'mon, man, I literally hate how amateurish WhatsApp looks on the new iOS. Compared to Snapchat and Kik, it looks like crap. It wouldn't take much to update it, surely?

I wonder if we're going to get an iPad optimized version of iOS7 with the new iPad launch this month. I'm sure it'll be optimized for the new models.

Top Bottom