• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

zc6nN43l.jpg

My neice has an iphone 4 and I was with her this weekend. She had updated to iOS 7. I truly cannot believe Apple allowed this phone to have iOS7. It is absolutely horrendous.

FWIW, my iPhone 4 got terribly slow over the last six months before 7 came out. Erasing it gave it a new life, even with 7 installed. Now that I have a 5S, I am sure it would feel awful, but relative to itself, a clean install was a miracle.

My battery life is still in the toilet on my 4S after upgrading. Went from 40% left at the end of the day to 5-10% left doing the same basic activities.

It still gets me through the day, but just barely. Very disappointed with the battery life, and the new calendar app is terrible.

zigg

My battery life is still in the toilet on my 4S after upgrading. Went from 40% left at the end of the day to 5-10% left doing the same basic activities.

It still gets me through the day, but just barely. Very disappointed with the battery life, and the new calendar app is terrible.
My 4S has pretty similar drain to 6. Then again, I don't have background refresh, etc. enabled.

Hopefully next year a bigger screen iPhone will also come with a much better battery for people like yourself who use the phone a lot when out and about.

My battery adventures on my 5 have been rather good, but I did come from old mobiles and the galaxy ace which had a terrible battery doing anything on that thing.

Blackhead

Redarse
My 4S has pretty similar drain to 6. Then again, I don't have background refresh, etc. enabled.

It's a bit mind-boggling that even the iPhone 4 got app background refresh (yet not parallax backgrounds) considering Apple has been claiming all these years that smartphones can't handle that feature.

zigg

It's a bit mind-boggling that even the iPhone 4 got app background refresh (yet not parallax backgrounds) considering Apple has been claiming all these years that smartphones can't handle that feature.
I think the argument went that it was hazardous to battery life, no? Which it seems to be.

Hey guys, my friend took my phone while I was working today and made it so that every time I type 'fuck', the iphone will automatically correct it to 'I like to fuck ducks'. Can someone tell me how to change it back to normal?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hey guys, my friend took my phone while I was working today and made it so that every time I type 'fuck', the iphone will automatically correct it to 'I like to fuck ducks'. Can someone tell me how to change it back to normal?

Settings > General > Keyboard

Scroll down the bottom for the 'Shortcuts' section.

Blackhead

Redarse
I think the argument went that it was hazardous to battery life, no? Which it seems to be.

It's not just the battery life, it also makes the phone lag. It's clearly not optimized for the iPhone 4. It's like Apple just said fuck it and rolled out the feature without any care at all.

iOS7 is really feeling sluggish on my iPhone 4. I like the look of it, but it really isn't optimized for that low end. I kinda wish I just stuck with iOS6. At least that ran at 60fps.

so guys anyone with an ipod touch 5th gen is it best to stay with ios 6 or is ios 7 not so laggy... also if upgrading does it delete all your music and stuff????
I looked for a comparison video ios6 vs ios7 but couldn't find anything good. :/ most of the vids are for the phones

i have it. works fine. it actually supports all that weird layer scrolling stuff too. but i turned it off to save battery. didn't delete my music when i upgraded.

iOS7 is really feeling sluggish on my iPhone 4. I like the look of it, but it really isn't optimized for that low end. I kinda wish I just stuck with iOS6. At least that ran at 60fps.

Its mostly because its an iphone 4. Its like 4.1.2 was for iphone 3G . Really sluggish tho built for iphone 4. Even if its supported you should know as an obvious fact that it would be sluggish. Iphone 4 is 3 years old which is today's tech world is ancient

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just making sure: 5s comes with iOS7 right?

Hi everyone,

I'm not normally an iPad user, but someone's asking me why their device can't access our OWA install.

Turns out it's because safari on the iPad is automatically adding www before the URL. (Our OWA install is accessed without it, only at <thirdlevel>.<secondlevel>.<first>)

I feel stupid as hell, but I honestly can't find out how to stop it from adding the www to the URL.

A lot of the googling I'm finding is for disabling the autocorrect in general, but not this. Anyone got a method of doing this so I can actually have the device go to the right location?

I'm asking in the iOS7 thread because it seems like this version of Safari is bad for it, the user didn't have this issue before.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hi everyone,

I'm not normally an iPad user, but someone's asking me why their device can't access our OWA install.

Turns out it's because safari on the iPad is automatically adding www before the URL. (Our OWA install is accessed without it, only at <thirdlevel>.<secondlevel>.<first>)

I feel stupid as hell, but I honestly can't find out how to stop it from adding the www to the URL.

A lot of the googling I'm finding is for disabling the autocorrect in general, but not this. Anyone got a method of doing this so I can actually have the device go to the right location?

Simply typing out the URL including the "https://" before it should stop Safari from wanting to add "www.". It does on my end for my corporate webmail, I just checked.

E.g. bookmark/write out "https://yourwebmail.domain.com" instead of "yourwebmail.domain.com".

Simply typing out the URL including the "https://" before it should stop Safari from wanting to add "www.". It does on my end for my corporate webmail, I just checked.

E.g. bookmark/write out "https://yourwebmail.domain.com" instead of "yourwebmail.domain.com".

Simple answers for simple problems.

Thank you.

Quake1028

Anyone know a fix to this?

My song library has 506 songs in it, totaling 3.89GB right now.
My 5S reports 506 songs on the phone.
iTunes says there are 553 songs on the phone, totaling 4.75GB right now.

What am I missing?

LevelNth

Banned
Anyone having their phone shut off with ~15-20% battery left? Mine is doing it consistently every single time for the last two weeks, even set a new record yesterday with a shutoff at 22%.

I've tried everything. Full charge overnight, trickle charges, sporadic charges, etc. I have no idea what else to do. I have a 5 so of course my warranty just ended like a month and a half ago, but I think I'm still going to take it into the Apple Store.

It seems like it must be software related though... do you guys think I should try a full restore first?

Anyone having their phone shut off with ~15-20% battery left? Mine is doing it consistently every single time for the last two weeks, even set a new record yesterday with a shutoff at 22%.

I've tried everything. Full charge overnight, trickle charges, sporadic charges, etc. I have no idea what else to do. I have a 5 so of course my warranty just ended like a month and a half ago, but I think I'm still going to take it into the Apple Store.

It seems like it must be software related though... do you guys think I should try a full restore first?

Mine did it on iOS 6, and after doing a full wipe and iOS 7 install, it's continued to do it. I have AppleCare so I'm going to be taking it in soon to see if there is an actual hardware problem and see if they'll swap it out.

Number45

My daughter had that on here (my old) 3GS, Apple replaced the phone after doing some quick diagnostics. it happened for a while on my 4S as well, but hasn't done it for some time.

mrkgoo

Have you let it drain completely and leave it off for a good while like say an hour or two before charging?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
New icons surface for iPhoto and Garageband

img_4745.png

screen-shot-2013-10-16-at-11-16-02-pm.png
Good. Hopefully this means more are coming soon too. That iBooks icon is mocking me. Even the OS X iBooks icon looks better.

For some reason, iPhoto makes me think of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Also, the contrast between the iPhoto icon with an actual photo on it and the Photos icon with an abstract flower is weird.

I wonder how they'll replace all the Skeuomorphism in the app though. The entire app is skeuomorphic.

Pyrokai

Anyone here use Google Drive? What's the secret to editing a Sheets document cell? I can select it and change the font, but the keyboard never pops up for me. Looking online, it seems that it *is* able to be edited on iPhone.....what am I missing here?

zigg

Has anyone figured out how to get iTunes to stop transferring apps and updates as part of an iPhone sync? It seems kind of pointless to me.

Anyone here use Google Drive? What's the secret to editing a Sheets document cell? I can select it and change the font, but the keyboard never pops up for me. Looking online, it seems that it *is* able to be edited on iPhone.....what am I missing here?
I think it was a double tap? It's been awhile since I used it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Youtube and Twitch sucks so much 3g, it's crazy

zigg

There's a simple checkbox that says something along the lines of "sync apps."
Where? It's not in the iTunes device view (cf. Music, Movies, etc. that have a "Sync X" checkbox on top.)

Yup, with the iPhone attached navigate to the apps tab and deselect the top option.
Hang on, let me try plugging it in and re-check. Doesn't show a checkbox over Wi-Fi.

EDIT: Yeah. This is what I have. No checkbox. Music, the next tab over, has "Sync Music." 99% sure "Sync Apps" was indeed an option before with iOS 6/pre-11.1.

LjCZgMo.png

Vyer

Where? It's not in the iTunes device view (cf. Music, Movies, etc. that have a "Sync X" checkbox on top.)

Hang on, let me try plugging it in and re-check. Doesn't show a checkbox over Wi-Fi.

EDIT: Yeah. This is what I have. No checkbox. Music, the next tab over, has "Sync Music." 99% sure "Sync Apps" was indeed an option before with iOS 6/pre-11.1.

LjCZgMo.png

I found this, might help:
http://www.148apps.com/news/synchronize-manually-install-apps-itunes-11/

Also you will have a 'new app sync' checkbox on that apps page (scroll down) and you can also turn off automatic downloads in settings on your phone/ipad.

Top Bottom