• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

zigg

Seems to pretty much confirm I can't do a thing about it.

Also you will have a 'new app sync' checkbox on that apps page (scroll down) and you can also turn off automatic downloads in settings on your phone/ipad.
Yup, already have all that off. My typical workflow is just to grab an app on my iPhone itself, and I'd like to avoid making copies of all of them to my Mac. Thanks though!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
interesting that iphoto and garage band are semi transparent over the gradient as opposed to flat white like the other apple apps. Perhaps a way to differentiate the stock apps from optional ones?

Number45

Seems to pretty much confirm I can't do a thing about it.

Yup, already have all that off. My typical workflow is just to grab an app on my iPhone itself, and I'd like to avoid making copies of all of them to my Mac. Thanks though!
Just checked, and there's a check box on the app page but it's bottom right - says "Automatically install new apps", which I have unchecked.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
A weird UI visual bug I found that seems to have gotten worse:

jcWSiswpD6jTt.jpg
(I hope this works. I'm on mobile.)

Notice the red number on the top row of icons overlapping the status area. And the large gap at the bottom above the dock. Seems to me that it's drifted too because it used to be only a couple pixels overlap.

So weird.

zigg

Just checked, and there's a check box on the app page but it's bottom right - says "Automatically install new apps", which I have unchecked.
Yup, that's off too. I think that instructs iTunes to install apps to your device that have been purchased on your computer. Maybe. :lol

A weird UI visual bug I found that seems to have gotten worse
It looks like the result of the parallax motion effect to me, just tilted all the way in one direction. I can get my phone to look similar by tilting it all the way forward.

AzerPhire

How is iOS7 on the iPad 3? I've read about some interface lag but is it really that bad? Any other issues? (Battery life, app performance, etc)

Well, my iPhone 4 is officialy a slowass fucking piece of shit now. What a difference small bad decisions make....
Dear god.... Things aren't working smooth anymore. Things take waay too much time.

I miss my smooth, fast iPhone 4.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
it looks like the result of the parallax motion effect to me, just tilted all the way in one direction. I can get my phone to look similar by tilting it all the way forward.
That's the problem! I didn't even realize that. lol

Thing is it's in that position when I hold the phone normally. I have to hold the phone straight up and down in order to center the icons. Why is there no way to calibrate the default gyroscope position for the parallax effect. I usually hold it at a 45° Angle. Not 90°.

Edit: Now that I posted that, it seems to have recall rated to 45°. WTF LOL

http://tapbots.com/blog/business/tapbots-and-the-state-of-our-apps-in-ios7

We’ve just submitted Tweetbot for iPhone to the app store and are waiting for approval. We do not have a launch date yet because there are many other things that need to be in place and ready before we launch, but it will be soon. That is all that we can say at this point. We truly appreciate your patience and support on this and know that it will be worth the wait!

Enco

How is iOS7 on the iPad 3? I've read about some interface lag but is it really that bad? Any other issues? (Battery life, app performance, etc)
Not sure if it's iOS 7 or just me but I feel that my iPad is complete shit now.

It's so slow and crash ridden.

Can't wait for the new iPads. It's borderline unusable.

Van Owen

Banned
Um, I would really hope they aren't charging for an app they already charged for once. It's not like they need more Twitter tokens for a new skin.

For shits and giggles I went and got out my old iPhone 4 and updated to iOS 7. It looks really nice! Maybe if this had come out a year ago I would have stuck with iOS instead of jumping ship to WP8. But then again, I really like having a good sized phone and live tiles are still a cool flashy feature to have on my home screen. But maybe if Apple puts out a bigger iPhone by the time I'm ready to upgrade next year I'll be looking at iOS seriously again!

kaskade

Where do you guys go for wallpapers? I've been sticking with the included ones. That wallpapers app is pretty good but there's a lot of choices. Makes it too hard to choose.

Number45

Saw that earlier. According to this site: http://reviewtimes.shinydevelopment.com

We should have new Tweetbot by this time next week. I wonder if they are charging.

With the way things have been worded, I'm thinking this is a whole new app that will have a new charge attached.
You know, I've paid for Tweetbot enough times. I do love it, but if they charge I'm not sure I'll pay again.

FerranMG

Well, my iPhone 4 is officialy a slowass fucking piece of shit now. What a difference small bad decisions make....
Dear god.... Things aren't working smooth anymore. Things take waay too much time.

I miss my smooth, fast iPhone 4.

Yeah, it's a real shame.
I installed the last 2 or 3 betas, and I have the feeling they were smoother than the final release is. I mean, I installed the GM absolutely convinced that I was *upgrading*, and it's definitely not the case.
It's barely usable now.

I'll be upgrading to a 5s in the following weeks, but my wife was planning on sticking to her 4 until next year, and I'm sorry for her. She even complains about it. You can tell something is really bad when someone not really into tech stuff complains about something like this.

Dany

Banned
I wish ios7 did a better job cacheing what im listening too. I have spotify open but what if I want to switch over to what I have on in my audibible? I wish I could do that in control center or something.

Pyrokai

Does anyone here use a cloud service for their pictures that ISN'T iCloud?

Basically, I want to be able to sync my camera roll pictures taken on my phone to the cloud seamlessly to a service that is not iCloud. Preferably Picasa or something.

I want it to work the same way Instant Upload from Google and Photostream works for iCloud....but without iCloud.

Is such a thing even possible?

Also, is there an old apps recommendation thread for iOS somewhere?

bananas

Banned

Basically, I want to be able to sync my camera roll pictures taken on my phone to the cloud seamlessly to a service that is not iCloud. Preferably Picasa or something.

I want it to work the same way Instant Upload from Google and Photostream works for iCloud....but without iCloud.

I use a PC, so I have Google Drive installed and have my Photo Stream folder inside there. So it automatically syncs with my Google account.

Pyrokai

I use a PC, so I have Google Drive installed and have my Photo Stream folder inside there. So it automatically syncs with my Google account.

Oh my....tell me more....

I use Google Drive, too. So this is an ideal solution for me. I guess I thought Photo Stream only worked with iCloud. How do I set this up? Am I being dumb here? Lol.

Vyer

I use Google Drive, too. So this is an ideal solution for me. I guess I thought Photo Stream only worked with iCloud. How do I set this up? Am I being dumb here? Lol.

I don't know if it's changed, but there was an 'iCloud control panel' for windows that you could download and it basically creates a folder on your Windows system where it saves your photo stream.

It looks like there's an updated version so I haven't tested whether it works the same way.

acevans2

Since I updated to iOS 7 my text messages don't go through to my Android-using roommate. I can receive texts though.

Don't have this problem with other Android users. Anybody experienced this / found a solution?

Vyer

Since I updated to iOS 7 my text messages don't go through to my Android-using roommate. I can receive texts though.

Don't have this problem with other Android users. Anybody experienced this / found a solution?

Go to the message window for him and hit 'contact', then the 'i'. Make sure his phone number is what you are sending to (highlighted blue), not like an email address or something.

mrkgoo

I'm awaiting the ios7 style redesigns for apple's own apps.

Normally they're much better at doing this for release, but I guess a huge design overhaul was crazy enough this time.

I'm talking about stuff like find my friends, podcasts, iLife and iWork.

bananas

Banned

Download iCloud Control Panel for Windows and Google Drive for Windows.

In iCloud Control Panel you can select which folder Photo Stream saves to.

Create a folder inside your Google Drive folder and voilà.

cjkeats

I use dropbox, but you gotta go in and open the app or leave it going to get your pictures to start syncing. Kind of a pain, but I still have 30GB free space there from when I tried a HTC phone a while back and it syncs to my desktop Dropbox folder nice and quick after that.
Google Drive sounds nifty though.

I use dropbox, but you gotta go in and open the app or leave it going to get your pictures to start syncing. Kind of a pain, but I still have 30GB free space there from when I tried a HTC phone a while back and it syncs to my desktop Dropbox folder nice and quick after that.
Google Drive sounds nifty though.

Connecting the phone to the computer will sync it to Dropbox too. Much much faster than the app, since it will sync locally, them sync to the server.

Pyrokai

Download iCloud Control Panel for Windows and Google Drive for Windows.

In iCloud Control Panel you can select which folder Photo Stream saves to.

Create a folder inside your Google Drive folder and voilà.

Welp, it's looking less and less likely that this is an option for me, unfortunately. I have a Mac and a Chromebook. So what's unfortunate is that I can't sync my photos to iCloud on my Mac because I'm running Snow Leopard.....which Apple doesn't support for iCloud.

They chose to support Windows over an older version of their OS. I'm kinda speechless about it.

I'm thinking I'll use the Google+ app Instant Upload. Not sure if I have any other option.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish there was a way to change the location of my iCloud Photo Stream on OS X. I'd put it in my DropBox and set it up on my Mac mini server to do it even when my Air is off.

I'd settle for iCloud.com having the built-in basic ability to view your normal stream in the browser and not just stupid shared streams. If you ask me, iPhoto should have an option to sync its entire library to your iCloud (I only use 2GB anyway) and let you view this stuff from a browser, and integrate it into the Photos app so I don't (optionally) have to sync all my photos to my iPhone and iPad themselves.

iCloud.com is so limited right now. And you can't customize anything either. I love the idea, but the execution needs to mature.

And for goodness sakes, let us have an iCloud folder in our Home folder on OS X (Or User folder on Windows) where we can manually drop files if we want. And an iCloud app on iOS where we can browse and view them and optionally open certain files in the proper iOS apps. I'd be able to get rid of DropBox and only have one Cloud service.

Also let us share certain folders to the web so I can have a shared folder that my Windows using friend can still access via a link.

For now I'll just stick with DropBox. But it would be nice to be iCloud only. (I only use DropBox these days for using Hazel to move files across my network or sharing a project with a friend as well as storing my 1Password database, which will change once I upgrade to 1Password 4 and use iCloud syncing.)

Here's hoping for iOS 8 and OS X 10.10. "Introducing the iCloud folder".

I wish there was a way to change the location of my iCloud Photo Stream on OS X. I'd put it in my DropBox and set it up on my Mac mini server to do it even when my Air is off.

I'd settle for iCloud.com having the built-in basic ability to view your normal stream in the browser and not just stupid shared streams. If you ask me, iPhoto should have an option to sync its entire library to your iCloud (I only use 2GB anyway) and let you view this stuff from a browser, and integrate it into the Photos app so I don't (optionally) have to sync all my photos to my iPhone and iPad themselves.

iCloud.com is so limited right now. And you can't customize anything either. I love the idea, but the execution needs to mature.

And for goodness sakes, let us have an iCloud folder in our Home folder on OS X (Or User folder on Windows) where we can manually drop files if we want. And an iCloud app on iOS where we can browse and view them and optionally open certain files in the proper iOS apps. I'd be able to get rid of DropBox and only have one Cloud service.

Also let us share certain folders to the web so I can have a shared folder that my Windows using friend can still access via a link.

For now I'll just stick with DropBox. But it would be nice to be iCloud only. (I only use DropBox these days for using Hazel to move files across my network or sharing a project with a friend as well as storing my 1Password database, which will change once I upgrade to 1Password 4 and use iCloud syncing.)

Here's hoping for iOS 8 and OS X 10.10. "Introducing the iCloud folder".

That was called iDisk during mobile me, and gallery. Two of the best features not to make it over to iCloud. I think apples late game to the server world is a big part of their limited on line services. I'd love iDisk to return, as well as gallery.

He'll lets also remake iCloud email and flesh out that service as well.

Vyer

Welp, it's looking less and less likely that this is an option for me, unfortunately. I have a Mac and a Chromebook. So what's unfortunate is that I can't sync my photos to iCloud on my Mac because I'm running Snow Leopard.....which Apple doesn't support for iCloud.

They chose to support Windows over an older version of their OS. I'm kinda speechless about it.

I'm thinking I'll use the Google+ app Instant Upload. Not sure if I have any other option.

What kind of mac do you have? I'm not really familiar with the OS X options for photo stream as the only one I have is an old laptop from 2007.

You might want to try IFTTT in the app store. There are Google Drive 'recipes'.

lGH89KQ.png

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That was called iDisk during mobile me, and gallery. Two of the best features not to make it over to iCloud. I think apples late game to the server world is a big part of their limited on line services. I'd love iDisk to return, as well as gallery.

He'll lets also remake iCloud email and flesh out that service as well.
The difference was that iDisk didn't cache its stuff on your computer so you can access it and manipulate it offline then have it sync itself. Instead it was more like an FTP server where you were always working across the network. Was so slow and buggy. The new paradigm of having all the files on your computer and syncing them to the cloud is much more reliable. And iCloud even does keep your stuff on your computer, but you can't really put files there yourself as it's not designed to detect these changes and sync right away. For instance, I would put a file in my iCloud folder and it wouldn't sync until I was on the other machine and did something unrelated that also happened to need iCloud in order to force it to sync. So they just need to flesh it out a bit, make it so the folder is in your Home instead of Library, and sanitize it so it isn't full of randomly named folders for each app and instead lets you use a normal structure. (Right now it only does a single depth folder structure, even though you can manually add another depth, it won't be recognized by the app.)

I mean I have 4.5GB that I don't even use right now. If I could use it for other files, I'd actually probably buy an account and use my storage.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is it still only for new device people or can I get them free on my 4S? And is it just GarageBand? I'd be more interested in iPhoto and Numbers maybe.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is it still only for new device people or can I get them free on my 4S? And is it just GarageBand? I'd be more interested in iPhoto and Numbers maybe.

It says on the page.

GarageBand is free on the App Store for all iOS 7 compatible devices; additional GarageBand instruments and sounds are available with an in-app purchase. iPhoto, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated on or after September 1, 2013. See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ for iOS 7 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

Mindwipe

The difference was that iDisk didn't cache its stuff on your computer so you can access it and manipulate it offline then have it sync itself. Instead it was more like an FTP server where you were always working across the network. Was so slow and buggy. The new paradigm of having all the files on your computer and syncing them to the cloud is much more reliable. And iCloud even does keep your stuff on your computer, but you can't really put files there yourself as it's not designed to detect these changes and sync right away. For instance, I would put a file in my iCloud folder and it wouldn't sync until I was on the other machine and did something unrelated that also happened to need iCloud in order to force it to sync. So they just need to flesh it out a bit, make it so the folder is in your Home instead of Library, and sanitize it so it isn't full of randomly named folders for each app and instead lets you use a normal structure. (Right now it only does a single depth folder structure, even though you can manually add another depth, it won't be recognized by the app.)

I mean I have 4.5GB that I don't even use right now. If I could use it for other files, I'd actually probably buy an account and use my storage.

iDisk shat on iCloud from a great height, since I could chose which files I wanted where. Amazing that Apple just let Dropbox completely steal that entire market.

Top Bottom