• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

I stick with 1Password because it has an app on my phone and let's me store notes and other information inside instead of just passwords.

And I keep Keychain for the convenience of filling stuff in automatically for me on iOS.

I hope it becomes more than that some day, but yeah, that's how it will be for me as well. A la Chrome. It's certainly better than nothing however. It'll cover most people's needs.

Holy crap.. How many times have they changed the podcasts UI in the last year??
To be fair, I like the newest redesign. I haven't used it much, but from when I have it seems like a huge improvement over how it used to be. It'll likely become my main podcast app.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

WTF did Apple do to the Podcast app

it looks like shit now >_>

gagaone

Neo Member
Anyone else who think the new alarm system is shiiit compared to the old one? I'm having trouble waking up now even though i set like 4-5 alarms and i think it is because i can't se the clock or something..

Mindwipe

Holy crap.. How many times have they changed the podcasts UI in the last year??

Not enough yet, because it's still bad.

Luckily the background playback API is now sufficiently stable there is absolutely no reason not to use a better third party app.

I can't believe iBooks hasn't been updated. They have to have missed a deadline due to a showstopper bug or something - which is not good this late.

FerranMG

7.0.3 has been pretty good for me on my iPhone 4, speed wise.
Either that, or a reboot was very much needed.
It was starting to be really annoying to use since everything was taking like 0.5-1 second to respond each time.
Now it's just slower than I would like (and than it should), but it's usable again.

It fixed a bug I had with lock screen audio controls when they wouldn't do anything.
And brought back the reduce motion option. I looked for it everywhere in 7.0.2 and I couldn't find it.
I left it disabled, though. I like the animations.

Are the "Slide to unlock" words purple and white for anybody else?

r7C8QBC.png

Looks ugly.

Uh oh. Pocasts seems a little janky again. Yesterday's episode of a daily podcast I listen to was at minute 35 of 40 when I paused and left it yesterday. Today, I've refreshed and it downloaded today's ep as well. (I have it set to keep the last two).

After today's episode downloaded, it seems to have replaced yesterday's episode with today's as well. Like, both episodes are there, but when you listen to either one, you hear today's episode. And, for some odd reason, they start at 3:26 instead of at the beginning, or where you left off.

Sucks. They finally had it running smoothly. AND... I don't really like the white background, I think black looked better. That's a minor complaint, though.

LCfiner

yeah, I still don't trust the podcast app. OTA syncing never worked for me and it looks like it's still buggy.

If anyone is really into podcasts and wants reliable syncing with a Mac, it seems like getting an app is necessary. I went with instacast and their syncing solution has been excellent. But downcast is another option.

yeah, I still don't trust the podcast app. OTA syncing never worked for me and it looks like it's still buggy.

If anyone is really into podcasts and wants reliable syncing with a Mac, it seems like getting an app is necessary. I went with instacast and their syncing solution has been excellent. But downcast is another option.

So you'd recommend the Instacast iOS/OSX combo? For the longest time I used Downcast, and now Pocket Casts and airplayed them to my Mac. That's great and all, but think I prefer a dedicated Mac app. It's obviously got to be syncable though.

I think there's a Instacast demo. I'm going to check it out. I think there's actually a Downcast OSX app now too.

Another vote for instacast. I'm going to use that for my iPad air over the podcast app.

The new instacast is still pretty buggy for me, even with it's latest update. It still randomly decides to stop working with the system audio controls, as well as just freezing up every now and then.

I don't trust the instacast developer after they released version 3 as a full price update. Pocket casts is way better designed and I like it a lot more than I ever liked Instacast. Go with that.

So you'd recommend the Instacast iOS/OSX combo? For the longest time I used Downcast, and now Pocket Casts and airplayed them to my Mac. That's great and all, but think I prefer a dedicated Mac app. It's obviously got to be syncable though.

I think there's a Instacast demo. I'm going to check it out. I think there's actually a Downcast OSX app now too.

I have Instacast on iOS and OS X, and I also have Downcast on both. In fact, I was in the Downcast beta. Between the two combos, I prefer Instacast only because the syncing in Instacast seems like it works correctly more consistently. For whatever reason, I have had a lot of problems with Downcast syncing between iOS and OS X, and I think it's because it uses iCloud instead of a dedicated solution like Instacast. Maybe I'm a unique case in having syncing issues with Downcast.

LCfiner

I don't trust the instacast developer after they released version 3 as a full price update. Pocket casts is way better designed and I like it a lot more than I ever liked Instacast. Go with that.

They've released 4 major versions and have charged for 2 of them. I don't think that's unreasonable or justification to "not trust" a developer.

Anyway, for Mac/iOS syncing, I do recommend Instacast as the syncing has been near instant and reliable for me. It's not iCloud syncing which might be a turn off for some but I think that it;s probably to the benefit of the program that they made their own syncing solution. iCloud syncing is the main reason why I had issues with Apple's podcast solution.

I have Instacast on iOS and OS X, and I also have Downcast on both. In fact, I was in the Downcast beta. Between the two combos, I prefer Instacast only because the syncing in Instacast seems like it works correctly more consistently. For whatever reason, I have had a lot of problems with Downcast syncing between iOS and OS X, and I think it's because it uses iCloud instead of a dedicated solution like Instacast. Maybe I'm a unique case in having syncing issues with Downcast.

Great, exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you. You too LCfiner!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Sounds like you have Call Forwarding on?

weird. that must have been a bug. it was not there before the update to 7.0.3 and i just went into my call forwarding settings and it was off...but then the icon went away. thanks though! i never knew what that icon b/c i never used call forwarding haha

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
weird. that must have been a bug. it was not there before the update to 7.0.3 and i just went into my call forwarding settings and it was off...but then the icon went away. thanks though! i never knew what that icon b/c i never used call forwarding haha
I guessed it was that because it used to happen sometimes on my iPhone 4 back during iOS 4 days with that janky ass antenna that phone had. Something to do with having low reception during the moment of carrier network scans taking place. I guess it was never entirely fixed.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
This is probably a stupid question but when I have passcode lock disabled the options for voice dial is greyed out or fainted out is this right? Then those apps under ALLOW ACCESS WHEN LOCKED are fainted out too. Yet when I enable passcode lock they are available to toggle on and off. I was messing around with iCloud Keychain and afraid I got my settings all out of whack.

Calendar is catastrophically terrible. The fact that we can't copy and paste is a travesty - it's a must for recurring (but irregularly scheduled) events like what I do for my tutoring business. Instead I have to bust out the MacBook to add appointments.

Such basic functionality is missing, but hey, look at the pretty color scheme!

Mindwipe

Calendar is catastrophically terrible. The fact that we can't copy and paste is a travesty - it's a must for recurring (but irregularly scheduled) events like what I do for my tutoring business. Instead I have to bust out the MacBook to add appointments.

It's sad how copy and paste across most apps has gone backwards. Messages has broken it working properly, Twitter and Facebook both broke it moons ago etc etc.

I have a question. I went over 6 gb for the first time on my AT&T data plan and I am being throttled now. is there an app which tracks what apps are using how much data over time?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anybody else with Pocketcasts not downloading everything automatically? Seems like I have most new podcasts already waiting for me, but hours after the notification I'll open the app, and only then is when some start downloading for me. They're all set to automatically download, fwiw.

Link

The Autumn Wind

I don't understand why there isn't an option to still just list the events you have when you select a day, instead of the planner format you have to scroll through now.

Symphonia

Banned
When are Capcom going to update Phoenix Wright for iOS 7? It seems rather strange they made such a deal about releasing it for iOS but stop supporting it once 7 was released.

Top Bottom