• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I still never get used to this: even though I only browse my music by artist, I really have to search for an album I want through the 'albums' list if I only want that one to play, instead of it playing every album after that from the artist? There has to be a way to search by artist and play just the album I select.

I don't get how the music app does not have an album view like itunes. The recently updated remote app mimics itunes why can't the music app?

like seriously :/

Go to the music app. Click on "More". Then click "Edit".

After that you can drag the Album view icon to the main row at the bottom.

matt360

I need some help. My phone's settings have seemingly gone haywire and I keep getting this super annoying notification about emails. I have all of my email accounts set to manual. I have deleted and reinstalled all of my email accounts, but this screen keeps popping up.
BH6Rg9U.png

I also have email notifications turned off. I have gotten this screen about 100 times in the past 24 hours, even when I have no new emails. And when I do get new emails, I have to push "dismiss" one time for each email that I receive. What the heck happened?

Also, I'm in Japan so that's why there's a bit of Japanese there. That's not part of the problem.

Dany

Banned
Go to the music app. Click on "More". Then click "Edit".

After that you can drag the Album view icon to the main row at the bottom.

No. I want a grid of album art instead of a list of album titles in my music app

a4eTxyql.png

That looks terrible

It should look like this.
3xupDdNl.jpg

h1MyPnEl.jpg

matt360

This looks like a flash SMS. I would talk to your carrier about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service#Flash_SMS

That sounds about right. Is there any way to find out where they are coming from? After doing some Googling, it looks like they're basically spam, and most of them have some kind of message content. The ones I've been getting aren't advertising anything and they have no message content. Who the heck would be sending them.

I'll check with my provider tomorrow, but I'm fairly certain they'll just tell me they have no idea. The staff at Softbank here in Japan are worthless.

I need some help. My phone's settings have seemingly gone haywire and I keep getting this super annoying notification about emails. I have all of my email accounts set to manual. I have deleted and reinstalled all of my email accounts, but this screen keeps popping up.
BH6Rg9U.png

I also have email notifications turned off. I have gotten this screen about 100 times in the past 24 hours, even when I have no new emails. And when I do get new emails, I have to push "dismiss" one time for each email that I receive. What the heck happened?

Also, I'm in Japan so that's why there's a bit of Japanese there. That's not part of the problem.

You'll need to disable those in your My Softbank settings. It should be under your Mail settings there.

I had the problem that when these notifications arose, they would leave the screen on, regardless of my 3-minute lock. I had one that I got in the middle of the night that nearly ran the battery down by leaving the screen active. Annoying.

Oh, and while you're checking your My Softbank settings, make sure to turn the spam filter on if it isn't.

cjkeats

I'm in the uk and iTunes Radio has appeared. I can't play anything as it then says unavailable but I can browse through the radio stations. What's going on?
is it out there yet? That happens to me a while back right after the official launch here in Canada but it vanished again shortly.

matt360

You'll need to disable those in your My Softbank settings. It should be under your Mail settings there.

I had the problem that when these notifications arose, they would leave the screen on, regardless of my 3-minute lock. I had one that I got in the middle of the night that nearly ran the battery down by leaving the screen active. Annoying.

Oh, and while you're checking your My Softbank settings, make sure to turn the spam filter on if it isn't.

Thanks a ton! That seemed to have done the trick. It's only been an hour since I changed the settings, so we'll see. Yeah, mine also left the screen on indefinitely and also prevented my alarm from going off! Potentially dangerous stuff.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thanks a ton! That seemed to have done the trick. It's only been an hour since I changed the settings, so we'll see. Yeah, mine also left the screen on indefinitely and also prevented my alarm from going off! Potentially dangerous stuff.
Ironic since it's a system meant to alert of dangerous stuff.

jfkgoblue

I seem to be having an issue with embedded YouTube videos on my 5s, every time I press play, this happens
BxubaqN.jpg

For whatever reason, if I go to the YT websites, it will play, but it is really annoying to have to do that every time, google seemed to indicate that it was an issue with cookies, but didn't really offer any help other than deleting browsing history for it to work 1 time...

what can I do about random apps not producing sound? Tiny DeathStar, Vine and Instagram for example. They work when I've got headphones plugged in though.

mrkgoo

what can I do about random apps not producing sound? Tiny DeathStar, Vine and Instagram for example. They work when I've got headphones plugged in though.

Are you sure that the mute switch isn't on?

There are actually two sound settings, one is alerts and one is app sound.

Sometimes app sounds follow the mute switch behaviour sometimes they don't.

Also check your volume. Volume has different settings, or alert/ app and headphones.

dokish

Banned
Hi GAF.

I'm about to buy my first iPad ever. I'm going for the Retina.

I know this is asked almost weekly here, so I'll be that dude who asks again. There's so much content about the "Must Have Apps" that I don't know which websites to trust. I have an Android and the browsers that I love the most are the ones "no one" uses or recommend, etc.

I would like apps recommendation for:

News
Translator / Dictionary (one specialized in Korean would be great)
SImple but effective photo editor
One app where I can write over pictures, like giving someone directions on a map
Is there anything better than Evernote for iPad? It is possible to sync with android phone?
PDF reader
App that keeps track of my expenses
Some app where I can catalog places (usually restaurants) that I visit (Evernote?)
Podcasts / mp3 management or player
Email app

I think that's it for now.

:(

Thanks in advance!

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I use google translate on my iPhone. Works for me. I hear that iTranslate is also really good. Not sure how good either of them are for Korean though.

kaskade

iTunes remote is not being very nice with my windows 8 computer. It's my desktop so I have some decent speakers attached so it's nice to use it when I'm not actually there. The library never shows up. My Macbook library is always there.

potam

Banned
just noticed something cool with autocorrect, maybe it's old though.

So I was typing "...its my" and it didn't autocorrect "its" to "it's" until after I typed "my". Does iOS do context sensitive autocorrect, or was it just being slow?

Number45

So is it not possible to delete songs in iOS7? Tried disabling Match but still don't see an option via swipe or long press. :-/

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
just noticed something cool with autocorrect, maybe it's old though.

So I was typing "...its my" and it didn't autocorrect "its" to "it's" until after I typed "my". Does iOS do context sensitive autocorrect, or was it just being slow?
Context sensitive.
So is it not possible to delete songs in iOS7? Tried disabling Match but still don't see an option via swipe or long press. :-/

Works for me (swipes), with Match turned on.
Works in Song/Album/Artists views for me.

Dany

Banned
Control center dims the display. So if I want to adjust the display brightness it's not to where I want it to be since it becomes brighter when I leave control center.

zigg

Control center dims the display. So if I want to adjust the display brightness it's not to where I want it to be since it becomes brighter when I leave control center.
It's actually fading the screen behind it, not dimming the display, but I get your meaning. I've been happy with auto-adjust after a little nudge in a dim living room to take the edge off the brightness—I haven't touched it since.

SJRB

Gold Member
I bought a wireless router a couple of months ago to compensate for the awful signal strength in my apartment, but I'm having issues and are pretty close to smashing something.

My iPhone keeps losing connection to the network. It'll show the wifi signal as connected, but in reality it is not connected at all. When I go to the wifi screen and press my network, I get a "Cannot connect to network" message. The only way to fix this is to reset my router but I'm getting pretty tired of having to reset my router 3 times a day.

Can anyone help me? I already reset all the network settings on my phone, but to no avail. I can't fathom what can possibly be causing this.

mrkgoo

I bought a wireless router a couple of months ago to compensate for the awful signal strength in my apartment, but I'm having issues and are pretty close to smashing something.

My iPhone keeps losing connection to the network. It'll show the wifi signal as connected, but in reality it is not connected at all. When I go to the wifi screen and press my network, I get a "Cannot connect to network" message. The only way to fix this is to reset my router but I'm getting pretty tired of having to reset my router 3 times a day.

Can anyone help me? I already reset all the network settings on my phone, but to no avail. I can't fathom what can possibly be causing this.

I get this. I reset the router.

See it might not be an actual issue with your phone as opposed to just a slight incompatibility with the router. Such is the nature of networking - you never really know.

For example it could be that the router is not interpreting the iPhone connection properly and dropping or confusing its up address. Is it a fault of the iPhone? Maybe, maybe not. Could be that iPhone is following new standards and the router is not - works fine with other devices, but weirds up with the iPhone. So which is at fault in that situation?

But yeah, I get it too sometimes and it has always been a router issue for me. It's like my router is too underpowered for all my devices and gets confused. One thing that actually helped me I THINK (again who knows with networking) was to offload DNS routing from the router and letting all my devices do it itself by using DNS settings on the device.

Your mileage may vary. In fact, with networking it probably will. Good luck.

Other things you can try is changing channels on the router, security settings, response timing etc.

Actually the security is a good one. Try turning off all security to see if you get the issue or not or at least downgrading it. It's not a solution, but it could give you some information on where the issue lies.

zigg

iTunes refused to run a backup after I went 7.0.4. Claimed it was corrupt/unsupported.

Had to delete my last iTunes backup before it'd work.

I don't know why, but Safari under ios 7.0.3 on iPhone 5s doesn't save my GAF-login or I just can't login at all. It only happens in Safari on the iPhone, but not on the PC. What could that be?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don't know why, but Safari under ios 7.0.3 on iPhone 5s doesn't save my GAF-login or I just can't login at all. It only happens in Safari on the iPhone, but not on the PC. What could that be?

Private mode enabled, check in the new tab menu (it'll be black and the button would be filled).

ramyeon

Recently Safari has started crashing *every* time I type either the letter L or the letter W first in the omnibar. I've tried force closing the app, turning phone on and off etc but it hasn't helped. Has anyone else experienced this?

Number45

Recently Safari has started crashing *every* time I type either the letter L or the letter W first in the omnibar. I've tried force closing the app, turning phone on and off etc but it hasn't helped. Has anyone else experienced this?
Have you tried clearing your history? Maybe the search as you start to type is recalling something from history that's causing the crash?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For some reason, Bluetooth keeps turning itself on. I don't use it and keep having to turn it back off. Thankfully that's east now, but I don't understand why it keeps doing it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
For some reason, Bluetooth keeps turning itself on. I don't use it and keep having to turn it back off. Thankfully that's east now, but I don't understand why it keeps doing it.

This happens to me a lot, the icon that enables BT is right below where I swipe to close the quick menu so I accidentally hit it all the same. It's kinda annoying.

Top Bottom