• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I thought those were in there prior to 7.0.3?
Both were, but before the update Reduce Motion would only turn off the parallax effect on the home screen while keeping the icon animations on. Now it also switches the animations to a fade in effect.

AEREC

Ive been having major issues ever since I updated to ios 7 (even after 7.0.3 and a full restore):

-phone automatically shuts down 5-10 times a day
-texts randomly never get delivered
-phone freezes up randomly for about 30 seconds

This is really annoying since the phone has failed in at least 1 or 2 semi urgent situations.

I'm sure I've had it for more than a year so I don't know what the apple store could without me paying.

Not to mention I am already on my 3rd iPhone 5 (launch model home button didnt work, and then camera and buttons stopped working on my second ip5).

Anyone else have similar issues and was able to get them resolved?

Boogiepop

I just updated to the latest firmware, figuring why not, and it asked me if I wanted to activate iCloud. I said no because I have zero interest in whatever that may be... and then it send me an e-mail saying "welcome to iCloud" and telling me my phone was now linked. What the hell? Any way to deactivate this, or did they just force it on me even though I don't want it?

Link

The Autumn Wind
I just updated to the latest firmware, figuring why not, and it asked me if I wanted to activate iCloud. I said no because I have zero interest in whatever that may be... and then it send me an e-mail saying "welcome to iCloud" and telling me my phone was now linked. What the hell? Any way to deactivate this, or did they just force it on me even though I don't want it?
Why would you not want it? It provides online backups and syncing for your phone.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just use it! iCloud is super awesome. That's like using Google Chrome and all of Google's services but not wanting them to have anything to do with each other.

Boogiepop

Why would you not want it? It provides online backups and syncing for your phone.

I guess backups are fine. Huh. A quick glance just made it look like "we'll auto-sync all your devices!" which isn't really something I care about (I get new music once in a blue moon and I HATE using iTunes when unnecessary anyway, so Apple stuff is pretty much limited to my phone). I guess I'll just keep it then? Mostly it just annoyed me that I'm 99% sure I said no and they proceeded to sign me up anyway.

Edit: While I'm thinking of it, is there any decent way to rename stuff in iTunes? I buy a lot of Japanese CDs and the thing has made an absolute mess of those, ignoring the reformatting I did to get them to read the artists/albums right, reverting them to a sloppy pain. I really wish I didn't have to add music to my phone through iTunes, I'd love to just drag and drop stuff in there like I could with my old cheap Phillips MP3 player. The TWEWY soundtrack in particular was destroyed, being marked as the individual artists instead of one album.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Embrace the cloud. It's there to make your life simpler. You complain about using iTunes, but iCloud is created to alleviate the need for iTunes. It'll cut down on your iTunes requiring.

zigg

The TWEWY soundtrack in particular was destroyed, being marked as the individual artists instead of one album.
Select them all, do Get Info, and set the album artist appropriately (I use "Various Artists" for these sorts of things.)

iTunes is database-driven instead of folder-driven. It takes a little adjustment, but it works out all right in the end, IMO.

Boogiepop

Embrace the cloud. It's there to make your life simpler. You complain about using iTunes, but iCloud is created to alleviate the need for iTunes. It'll cut down on your iTunes requiring.

Select them all, do Get Info, and set the album artist appropriately (I use "Various Artists" for these sorts of things.)

iTunes is database-driven instead of folder-driven. It takes a little adjustment, but it works out all right in the end, IMO.

Thanks. And I guess I'll look a little more closely at the cloud stuff, haha. Like I said, I guess I just knee-jerked at what felt like getting strong-armed into it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They took away tapping on the background in task switcher to cancel out of it? I used that a lot, dammit.

Vyer

Thanks. And I guess I'll look a little more closely at the cloud stuff, haha. Like I said, I guess I just knee-jerked at what felt like getting strong-armed into it.

Yeah, icloud syncing for phone backups is outstanding and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to you. Popping your Apple ID into a new/reloaded device gets your backup restored pretty painlessly.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I complained about this earlier. People said I was lazy for not just hitting the Home button. So glad others miss this too.
Auxo on the old jailbreak made me realize that hitting the home button is archaic. Of course, the CC guesture canceled out any chance of Auxo gaining traction again, but I want full guesture/tap control of the device basically. Moving backwards in functionality is a very bad thing, but I guess they thought people would hit that big empty space by accident?

Talka

I'm having trouble tracking through songs from the lock screen. The scrubbing bar is like one pixel wide... and since the whole screen is a swipe-right page now, any time I miss it I'm sent to the home screen. Seems like this would be a common problem.

mrkgoo

I complained about this earlier. People said I was lazy for not just hitting the Home button. So glad others miss this too.
For me it's not about being lazy or it being convenient.

It's about being intuitive. That's how a lot of polyps and flyovers behave.

I guess part of it is, where should it take you? The home page? Even if it wasn't open to that one? Maybe just default to the app on the centre.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For me it's not about being lazy or it being convenient.

It's about being intuitive. That's how a lot of polyps and flyovers behave.

I guess part of it is, where should it take you? The home page? Even if it wasn't open to that one? Maybe just default to the app on the centre.
The third option would make the most sense. Since most of the time, people tapping that area have already closed all their apps and just want to go Home. It should be whichever app is closest to the finger. Or the center one.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Two strange issues. For the past few weeks, iOS keeps randomly asking me for my iCloud password. Also, I've noticed that Find My iPhone keeps turning off in the settings. Um, that's kinda bad. :/

Jindrax

Dudes. After the update 7.0.3 when I activate reduce motion I lose the animation when opening apps and unlocking the phone. It just fades in.

mrkgoo

So someone I know has just returned from overseas and their number disappeared off iMessage (although email identifier was still active).

Reacticated it on iMessage and it sends fine. But why am I replying in SMS still?

Is their a default wait period or something? I can even iMessage from my mac to their number. And imessage to anyone else. Just not them. On their phone number (their email identifier is fine).

On a related note, is there no way to merge user iMessage emails and numbers on a phone? Is it because they need to parse SMS to phone number usage or something? People remain as two separate conversations when I receive from different addresses.

iTunesU Question:

Is it possible to get a video lesson to play while the screen is off? I am not too fussed about missing some slides I just want the audio while I am walking to work.
I think its ridiculous that it isn't just possible, jet I hope there is at least a workarround!
Has anyone been able to figure this out?

Noema

I'm having trouble tracking through songs from the lock screen. The scrubbing bar is like one pixel wide... and since the whole screen is a swipe-right page now, any time I miss it I'm sent to the home screen. Seems like this would be a common problem.

I've basically given up trying to use the scrubber on the lock screen. It's impossible. I just bring up the control center from the lock screen and do it from there instead. I don't even get why they have a scrubber in the lock screen in the first place if it's gonna be so small and hard to use.

iTunesU Question:

Is it possible to get a video lesson to play while the screen is off? I am not too fussed about missing some slides I just want the audio while I am walking to work.
I think its ridiculous that it isn't just possible, jet I hope there is at least a workarround!
Has anyone been able to figure this out?

Bring up the Control Center after leaving the iTunes U app or locking the phone and press play. Audio should play in the background even after the phone is locked.

Deku Tree

I just used iBatteryBot to check the health of my original iPad 2 running iOS 7 which is now 2 years and 9 months old. Here is what I got:

CycleCount: 373
DesignCapacity: 6583
FullChargeCapacity: 5832

That is incredibly good retention IMO.

Apple REALLY needs to fix the music app. I'm very particular about maintaining my iTunes metadata, but if I make any changes to album title or artist for an album purchased from iTunes, then sync the songs to my phone, it discards those changes and just reverts to how they were before my edits. The only workaround I've found is to make sure I've signed out of my iTunes/App Store account on the phone before connecting it to the computer, and even that doesn't work all the time. Everything looks fine in iTunes and when looking at the music on my phone via iTunes, but not on the phone itself. Apple, stop retagging my goddamn music!!!

mrkgoo

When I first installed iOS 7 I put in a really garish background as a place holder. I've now reverted to the default star scape as both lock screen and home screen bac drops.

I really like it. I like how the back ground is static and things fly in on to the same background. Previously I had different screens.

Anyway, something I realise I'd like very much is to have a scheduled background, like one for during the day and another for night. Maybe even the weather style back drops.

Deku Tree

Hi GAF !!!

Is there any way to edit your iCloud bookmarks on an iOS device? I can't figure out how to delete or edit my iCloud bookmarks except on my Macs....

Thanks!!!

Talon

Hi GAF !!!

Is there any way to edit your iCloud bookmarks on an iOS device? I can't figure out how to delete or edit my iCloud bookmarks except on my Macs....

Thanks!!!
Well, there is that ever-present "Edit" button on the bottom right. And, as always, you can swipe to the left to delete.

Deku Tree

Well, there is that ever-present "Edit" button on the bottom right. And, as always, you can swipe to the left to delete.

Yeah I don't know how to get to the screen where I see this "edit" button. And swipe to delete is not working for me either...

Talon

Yeah I don't know how to get to the screen where I see this "edit" button. And swipe to delete is not working for me either...
Where the hell are you looking?

Click the bookmarks icon in Safari and there's an edit button on the bottom right.
DIXm9LX.jpg

Anyone else notice that google maps doesn't send you notifications or vocal turn directions when you are no longer in the app on ios7 iPhone 5S?

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the uk and iTunes Radio has appeared. I can't play anything as it then says unavailable but I can browse through the radio stations. What's going on?

Dany

Banned
I don't get how the music app does not have an album view like itunes. The recently updated remote app mimics itunes why can't the music app?

like seriously :/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
WOW, a 7.0 update for the Apple TV remote just launched. I was hoping they didn't forget about it. It looks so much better.

Top Bottom