• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

This happens to me a lot, the icon that enables BT is right below where I swipe to close the quick menu so I accidentally hit it all the same. It's kinda annoying.

You don't have to swipe down to hide the control center. Just tap the area above it and it goes away.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I can't seem to share anything with messages. I tried sending a link to someone thru iMessage it doesn't work. It acts like it does till I enter the Message app and nothing was sent. The same thing happened I took a photo tried to share it by Messages and nothing. Never did this before? Any ideas what could be happening?

GWX

iOS 7.0.4 in my 4th gen iPad finally fixed wallpaper switching lag and the unnecessary "more" button in the Music app's toolbar. Fix the keyboard lag and I'm happy, Apple (for now - hopefully we'll get a more iPad friendly OS with iOS 8).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iOS 7.0.4 in my 4th gen iPad finally fixed wallpaper switching lag and the unnecessary "more" button in the Music app's toolbar. Fix the keyboard lag and I'm happy, Apple (for now - hopefully we'll get a more iPad friendly OS with iOS 8).
I'm hoping more for 7.1.

FerranMG

Hey guys, today I tried to create a personal hotspot using a new iPhone.
I was prompted with this screen

personal_hotspot-03.jpg

and I chose Bluetooth and USB only by mistake.

I want to be able to create a wifi hotspot.
Anybody know how can I revert my decision? Can't find it anywhere.

FerranMG

Welp, it certainly isn't working for me.

After enabling the personal hotspot, I don't see that blue banner at the top of the screen, UNLESS I plug the phone to the computer using the lightning-usb cable.

:/

Welp, it certainly isn't working for me.

After enabling the personal hotspot, I don't see that blue banner at the top of the screen, UNLESS I plug the phone to the computer using the lightning-usb cable.

:/

Try first turning Personal Hotspot off, then turn on Wi-Fi, then turn the Hotspot back on.

Speaking of that, I really wish Personal Hotspot had more options. Hidden SSIDs, limiting connection numbers, etc.

neoism

GODDAMN it I was updating to 7.0.4 and it fucked up... itunes fucking piece of shit. :/ I swear if this thing is a brick... :*( only had it for a week or so...
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

error 4013

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there any way to tell how big the apps you've installed are?

Vyer

GODDAMN it I was updating to 7.0.4 and it fucked up... itunes fucking piece of shit. :/ I swear if this thing is a brick... :*( only had it for a week or so...

error 4013

That sucks. Why use iTunes, and not OTA?

Cheebo

Banned

error 4013
I didn't know it was still possible to update via iTunes.

B33

Banned
Since updating the firmware to iOS 7.0.4 on an iPhone 5S (AT&T is my carrier), I've been experiencing the following:

• Significant latency in sending/receiving texts sent via iMessage

• "Received" calls that don't ring on my end. Voicemail and its notifications still function.

• SMS messages sent to me are being lost entirely.

• Gesturing for "Messages" to open often leads to freezing and all of my Message chains "disappearing."

• Significant decrease in battery life.

• Placing/Receiving phone calls often causes a lag of roughly 45 seconds to occur on the screen

I've attempted to restart the phone, toy with the settings, and search for any fixes. I think I'm going to attempt to revert my phone back to 7.0.3.

neoism

That sucks. Why use iTunes, and not OTA?

what is OTA pls... IS it hard to convert my tracks to it.. I have over 9k :p
I didn't know it was still possible to update via iTunes.

you now it was the first time I did it also... :/ I usually always do it on the device through WIFI... not sure why I did... I was like as it was downloading I bet this will fuck up...

it just had the itunes logo and the lighting plug in thing on the screen and thats it... restore would not work... I've had problems with my idevices syncing on my computer ever since I used it.. :/ fucking apple... why cant they make shit work on Windows.

anyways thankfully I just ran to WorstMart :p and they exchanged it because I only had it for 9 days... :/ Man I would love that update too...:/ stupid wallpapers not working :/
I just have not had luck with apple products ever.. this is my fifth ipod and the one before this works perfect still better I think I still think ios 6 is nappier.. but the screen is fucked up.. so I bought a 40 dollar otter box for this one and get a brick from a patch.. :(

Noema

They added a dark keyboard toggle!

5eefVdi.png

borat-dance.gif

Now all we need is a dark theme so iOS 7 doesn't burn my retinas when using my phone in bed after I turn off the lights. Ugh.

(

OTA=Over the Air. In other words, you update directly from your phone without using iTunes. Much more convenient, specially because it also provides Delta updates, which download only the bits you need to update (usually just a few MB) instead of having to download the whole IPSW file.

Vyer

:(

Settings > General > software update

As long as you are connected to wireless internet, you can download software updates without having to plug into iTunes. All it usually asks for is that the device be plugged in for power/charging.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does "Reduce Motion" still only have a single option? Or did they flesh it out so I can disable certain things (Like remove the folder zooming and app zooming) but keep other things on (Like the 3D parallax effect and the unlock animation which I kind of really liked.)

FerranMG

Try first turning Personal Hotspot off, then turn on Wi-Fi, then turn the Hotspot back on.

Thanks, I think this made the prompt appear again.
However, I still don't see the blue banner at the top of the screen indicating I'm sharing the internet connection.
Would anyone mind to try if that still happens in iOS 7?
I know it was ther in iOS 6, and it was there for me using iOS 7 and connecting the phone to the computer via USB, but don't see while trying to do a wireless connection. :/

Does "Reduce Motion" still only have a single option? Or did they flesh it out so I can disable certain things (Like remove the folder zooming and app zooming) but keep other things on (Like the 3D parallax effect and the unlock animation which I kind of really liked.)

Interested in this too.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Interested in this too.
No changes, Reduce Motion still turns all of those off at once.

raindoc

currently visiting my parents - my mum's "iPad with Retina Display" seems to loose it's cellular connection every once in a while for no apparent reason and it won't reconnect unless it's rebooted. This seems to be the case ever since she installed iOS7.

known issue (and fix incoming) or is something else wrong with it?

Noema

currently visiting my parents - my mum's "iPad with Retina Display" seems to loose it's cellular connection every once in a while for no apparent reason and it won't reconnect unless it's rebooted. This seems to be the case ever since she installed iOS7.

known issue (and fix incoming) or is something else wrong with it?

Have you tried resetting network settings?

mrkgoo

I thought my touch screen was damaged - back and forward swipes weren't registering, search box was difficult to tap in safari.

But closing safari and reopening fixed it. Anyone else see issues like that?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Any recommendations for (ideally free) fast, simple and functional QR readers? I can't manage to find one that works in my 3GS without being slow or useless as fuck.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any way of having a video playlist in ios7 on my ipad (3).

We have a long trip with a little one, and it would be nice to line up a few cartoons in a row for him to watch at a time.

I know there is a workaround where you reclassify them as music videos in iTunes but i believe you don't get fullscreen playback then. I'd be happy to drop a couple of £ on an app.

mrkgoo

Does anyone have any recommendations for any way of having a video playlist in ios7 on my ipad (3).

We have a long trip with a little one, and it would be nice to line up a few cartoons in a row for him to watch at a time.

I know there is a workaround where you reclassify them as music videos in iTunes but i believe you don't get fullscreen playback then. I'd be happy to drop a couple of £ on an app.

Pretty big hole IMO. Trying a similar thing. One thingng I've done is to mark things as tv shows which means you can play the 'show' and it continuously plays through the episodes .

It's a silly workaround though, especially if the shows aren't part of he same show.

mrkgoo

Does anyone else occasionally open safari and it takes you to the apple "iforgot" page?

What does it mean? Why does it do it?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else occasionally open safari and it takes you to the apple "iforgot" page?

What does it mean? Why does it do it?
No, never by accident. But to answer your second question iforgot.apple.com is the Apple ID password recovery site.

mrkgoo

No, never by accident. But to answer your second question iforgot.apple.com is the Apple ID password recovery site.

Oh I know what it is.

I was just curious as to why I've discovered safari going to it. Maybe I accidentally hit a logon? Pretty sure I didn't.

There are people who seem to loop or get stuck on it:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4564214

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17310167#17310167

Just wondering if, say, iCloud has a small hiccup and very briefly doesn't know my password like a server error, and it automatically takes me to the iforgot page?

I know there are various links around iOS that will take you there, but pretty sure I didn't hit those. Malware, perhaps? I've only seen it twice now. The first time MAYBE I accidentally clicked somewhere, but second time, I'm fairly certain I didn't.

LevelNth

Banned
Does anyone know or had experience with Apple replacing an iPhone due to battery issues past warranty?

My 5 bought last year in September (so roughly 2 months or so past warranty) is just out of control with ios7. For example right now I'm under 7 hours standby, only 2 hours and 5 minutes usage (none of which was phone calls or video, and 30 or so minutes of it was screen off mp3 player) and it's at 37%.

Worse than that 9 times out of 10 it shuts off randomly under 25% and won't turn back on without a charge, so I essentially have to subtract 20% all the time.

It's borderline unusable without mid-day charging, and likely twice if I have to use it heavily.

I'm coming from iOS5 on an iPhone 4 to iOS7 on an iPad Mini w/ Retina and I'm wondering, is iOS7 less stable than iOS5? Safari seems to crash more frequently as well as apps like Facebook and Feedly. I've even had one instance of it going to the Apple logo.

Minor but weird issue:

In the default Twitter app, image previews work in the iPhone version of the app, but not the iPad version. Since it's a universal app, there should be no issue, right? And yes, I do have the "image previews" option turned on in the settings.

Anyone else getting image previews to work?

Is this a bug? I did an AirDrop to my wife's new iPhone 5S, but she never acknowledged the dialog so it was still up. The phone locked and when she went to unlock it with her thumb, it went immediately to the password input saying it couldn't read her thumb. It was instant, not even like a half second to register and fail. There was nothing to do to get around this other than to input the pass code. After the dialog was handled, then the lock screen functioned normally.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So this morning I opened the calander app and all my calanders and events are gone. Anyone know what's going on?

EDIT - Figured it out. Somehow iCloud got turned off. Not sure why there's not a local save.

zigg

EDIT - Figured it out. Somehow iCloud got turned off. Not sure why there's not a local save.
There is, but it's locally cached copies of the iCloud data. Whenever you disable a sync source, that cache becomes invalid.

This is really the only sane way a remote calendar can work.

Link

The Autumn Wind
There is, but it's locally cached copies of the iCloud data. Whenever you disable a sync source, that cache becomes invalid.

This is really the only sane way a remote calendar can work.
Ok, thanks. I really don't know how my iCloud got completely reset. I even had to reselect everything I want to back up

mrkgoo

Is this a bug? I did an AirDrop to my wife's new iPhone 5S, but she never acknowledged the dialog so it was still up. The phone locked and when she went to unlock it with her thumb, it went immediately to the password input saying it couldn't read her thumb. It was instant, not even like a half second to register and fail. There was nothing to do to get around this other than to input the pass code. After the dialog was handled, then the lock screen functioned normally.

Possibly.

I still see some really weird issues.

SOme possible bugs/hardware issues with my iPhone 5 on iOS7:

Safari loses recognition of certain gestures, like back and forth and tapping the top bar - these actions seem to work fine elsewhere. Closing safari resets it.

Iv'e had safari (or some other app) take me to Apple's iforgot page.

LAst night just doing nothing i get a "no sim installed" error. a hard reboot fixed it (didn't reseat sim or anything).

Possibly.

I still see some really weird issues.

SOme possible bugs/hardware issues with my iPhone 5 on iOS7:

Safari loses recognition of certain gestures, like back and forth and tapping the top bar - these actions seem to work fine elsewhere. Closing safari resets it.

Iv'e had safari (or some other app) take me to Apple's iforgot page.

LAst night just doing nothing i get a "no sim installed" error. a hard reboot fixed it (didn't reseat sim or anything).

iOS7 seems to be the biggest and least stable version I've used. I know this is a major overhaul but this is also Apple who is praised for the extra attention to detail and polish compared to the competition. It's almost what I would expect it off Android. Between this and Maps , Apple seems to be rushing things out these days.

Top Bottom