• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Vyer

Possibly.

I still see some really weird issues.

SOme possible bugs/hardware issues with my iPhone 5 on iOS7:

Safari loses recognition of certain gestures, like back and forth and tapping the top bar - these actions seem to work fine elsewhere. Closing safari resets it.

Iv'e had safari (or some other app) take me to Apple's iforgot page.

LAst night just doing nothing i get a "no sim installed" error. a hard reboot fixed it (didn't reseat sim or anything).

I dunno, that stuff might be worth getting checked out. I haven't seen any failed gestures, iforgot or no sim.

I have seen some safari crashes and music app crashes.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
What the hell. So my phone this morning had all it's contacts deleted.. when I logged into icloud.com everything was there. Turns out, iCloud on my phone was completely turned off. What the hell? How did that happen?

For some reason the alphabet sidebar in Apple's music app has disappeared for me recently, anyone know what could be the cause? I'm assuming they haven't silently updated it to be even more shit.

As seen here: said:
ZaYkIJRl.png

Heel

Maybe it's all mental, but I did a full wipe and restore with my iPad 3 and things seem to be running a bit more smoothly on iOS 7 now. I haven't done that since I got it.

Also reclaimed around 2 gigabytes of space from a nearly full 32 doing this.

Used iFunbox to completely erase everything under the books section, erase iBooks, reinstall and transfer all my books back to my iPad resulted in freeing up around 500mb in my "other" category on iTunes...and I really don't have that many books.

Worth a try if you have a ton of mysterious "other" data and use iBooks. Down to a little under 2 gigs in that category now, whatever it is.

Link

The Autumn Wind
What the hell. So my phone this morning had all it's contacts deleted.. when I logged into icloud.com everything was there. Turns out, iCloud on my phone was completely turned off. What the hell? How did that happen?
Happened to me the other day. Still don't know why.

Vyer

That is strange, mrkgoo. Seems like Safari crashes are more 'common'.

Maybe it's all mental, but I did a full wipe and restore with my iPad 3 and things seem to be running a bit more smoothly on iOS 7 now. I haven't done that since I got it.

Honestly, I like to do that every now and then with all of my computer devices, even my custom Windows machine (though that's a little more rare, but it becomes a good excuse for some upgrades! ). I think mobile devices really benefit from it.

So I wonder if the "iPhone 6" will finally be the point where Apple upgrades their Lightning cables to USB 3.0? I know the reasoning for not including 3.0 for prior models was that the flash drives inside the iPhones wasn't fast enough to take advantage of more than 2.0 speeds, but I can't imagine as smartphone processors get closer and closer to PC performance, they would sit idly and not increase the speed of the Flash every generation as well. Of course, the other advantage to USB 3.0 would potentially be faster charging through more power output.

I couldn't believe that Apple came out with a new cable standard with the iPhone 5, when all their products were already 3.0, and chose to stick with USB 2.0.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody experiencing this bug? I get intermittent new mail badges but the when I go into the mail app there may be three unread messages but the bottom and the badge say 7 unread. I refresh the mailbox via pull down and that fixes it one in four times. Otherwise I just have to check and attempt to refresh again in a few minutes and hope they show up that time.

mrkgoo

Anybody experiencing this bug? I get intermittent new mail badges but the when I go into the mail app there may be three unread messages but the bottom and the badge say 7 unread. I refresh the mailbox via pull down and that fixes it one in four times. Otherwise I just have to check and attempt to refresh again in a few minutes and hope they show up that time.

I don't.

7.1 beta 2 is out. Some changes:

- Touch ID and Passcode Settings are now more prominently displayed.

- Animations are now even faster than in beta 1.

- Bug where all tones were the default is fixed.

- Control Center has a new bounce animation when you toggle it and a new label to show you which app audio is coming from.

- New list view redesign/toggle in Calendar app.

- You can now turn on button shapes so you know where to tap.

- Dark keyboard option from beta 1 has been removed.

- A new iPad wallpaper (from the iPad Air ad).

http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/13/apple-releases-ios-7-1-beta-2-to-developers/

Link

The Autumn Wind
Speaking of the calendar, any chance they brought back the old event list view when you select a day instead of the planner view 7.0 uses?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The new button shape things look so bad and out of place in iOS 7.1

Glad that it's an opt-in accessibility feature and not the new default.
Uck. Seems like a thin outline of the button shape, in the font color would blend better.

The death of the ios back button is one of the biggest losses of ios7 IMO so I am glad they are working on it even if it is optional.

RM8

So I just joined iOS GAF. I'm liking my phone :p But yeah, some Android habits are a bit hard to overcome (oh lord I miss my swiping keyboard). Can I get recommendations for exclusive apps/games? Tips for iNoobs?

Carlisle

Weird quirk I noticed with Photo Stream across iDevices. Going into usage, storage, and then the photos app for the data breakdown, I've found that Photo Stream is using over 100mb more data on my iPhone than my iPad. I've turned PS off and on again on both of them, restarted the devices, etc, but the numbers aren't changing. In the photos app, they both show Photo Stream with the same number of pictures... any idea why there'd be such a big difference between the two?

mrkgoo

Weird quirk I noticed with Photo Stream across iDevices. Going into usage, storage, and then the photos app for the data breakdown, I've found that Photo Stream is using over 100mb more data on my iPhone than my iPad. I've turned PS off and on again on both of them, restarted the devices, etc, but the numbers aren't changing. In the photos app, they both show Photo Stream with the same number of pictures... any idea why there'd be such a big difference between the two?

Not really sure but do you think it could be that it might depend on which photos were added to the photo stream from which device?

I use a lot of shared photo streams. I've noticed that if I add a photo to one from a particular device, say, my iphone, it's there instantly at full res. this can only happen if it's basically moving or copying a file internally (or creating a reference). It could be that a file size is larger or smaller here than what it actually uploads.

I dunno, just a guess.

Also if you really get technical, I use photo streams in my mac in aperture. If I add photos from there, they actually add a new copy in a new project directory that's hidden. Under previous versions of the system, they never got deleted, even if you remove them from the photostream. Like if I added a picture, then deleted it and readded, there would actually be two copies of that picture in the folder.

I've long since learned that apple had no qualms about just chewing up space randomly to serve a purpose and not cleaning it up where necessary (or unnecessary I guess).

Ambitious

Having used a 3GS running iOS 5 before, I've now got a brand new 5s.

I've got two issues with Safari and was wondering if they're wide-spread. First, when I tap and hold a link, the action menu doesn't always appear. This happens especially often on the arrows next to a thread title on the mobile site of NeoGAF. Sometimes, the menu appears just after I swipe upwards after holding the link for a while.

Second, when I open tabs in the background, quite often they don't load. I usually skim through the forum and open interesting threads in the background, but in the tab overview, several of them are usually blank. When I switch to one of them, sometimes they load. Sometimes they don't, so I have to manually refresh the page then.
On the other hand, sometimes a tab appears to be fully loaded in the overview, but suddenly it's blank. Or alternatively, I switch to the tab and it gets blank just then, in which case it either reloads itself or i have to manually reload again.

Oh, and I haven't yet updated to 7.0.4, I'm still running 7.0.3.

GWX

Having used a 3GS running iOS 5 before, I've now got a brand new 5s.

I've got two issues with Safari and was wondering if they're wide-spread. First, when I tap and hold a link, the action menu doesn't always appear. This happens especially often on the arrows next to a thread title on the mobile site of NeoGAF. Sometimes, the menu appears just after I swipe upwards after holding the link for a while.

Second, when I open tabs in the background, quite often they don't load. I usually skim through the forum and open interesting threads in the background, but in the tab overview, several of them are usually blank. When I switch to one of them, sometimes they load. Sometimes they don't, so I have to manually refresh the page then.
On the other hand, sometimes a tab appears to be fully loaded in the overview, but suddenly it's blank. Or alternatively, I switch to the tab and it gets blank just then, in which case it either reloads itself or i have to manually reload again.

Oh, and I haven't yet updated to 7.0.4, I'm still running 7.0.3.

The first one is widespread. I hate it. I don't know if it's a problem with GAF or with Safari, but it sucks :(

Talon

The tap and hold is only a problem I've experience with this website, so I figure it's a [whatever BBS distro we're using on GAF] issue.

Zanosuke

Is there a way to get a confirmation pop-up before you send a sms/mms? I have accidentally pressed the send button a few times before I was finished typing and it is annoying..

Ambitious

The first one is widespread. I hate it. I don't know if it's a problem with GAF or with Safari, but it sucks :(

The tap and hold is only a problem I've experience with this website, so I figure it's a [whatever BBS distro we're using on GAF] issue.

Me too. I was thinking it was due to the edges of the screen having protection from accidental touches.

Thanks, good to hear it's not just me.

By the way, when I turn on automatic updates, do I get a notification when an app is updated? One of the first things I did with the phone was disabling this, because I always read the changelogs. I'm aware recently updated apps are shown in the App Store app, but without a notification I'd have to check periodically and I'd surely miss a few updates.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thanks, good to hear it's not just me.

By the way, when I turn on automatic updates, do I get a notification when an app is updated? One of the first things I did with the phone was disabling this, because I always read the changelogs. I'm aware recently updated apps are shown in the App Store app, but without a notification I'd have to check periodically and I'd surely miss a few updates.
Yes there's a notification.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes. App Store has notifications the same way as other stuff. You can have it show up in the pull-down, as well as show a notification or a dialog box or turn it all off completely if you need.

Fergie

Banned
Is there a way to stop some websites advertising opening up the App Store without giving a warning not to? I rather not disable java script, since some sites have reduced functionality.

For example visit a site, it opens up the App Store to the app, which is mainly clash of clans. I have pop-up block enabled as well. I've never had this problem as frequently since iOS 7.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Websites that force you or bug you to download their app don't deserve anyones business if you ask me. If I wanted your website as an icon on my home screen, I'd USE THE FUCKING FEATURE THAT SAFARI HAS HAD BUILT IN SINCE iOS 1.0!

Ok, so I have Home Sharing enabled in iTunes on my laptop and on my iPod Touch. Both are connected to the same Apple ID. I also have the option in iTunes ticked for updating play counts. Yet, I have listened to a bunch of songs on my iPod from the shared library and none of the play counts are being updated on iTunes. This is interfering with my scrobbling. =/

Link

The Autumn Wind
Something that I do find annoying is now apps tend to reset themselves when I multitask. It's especially annoying if I'm playing a game and go to reply to a text or something. I'm guessing it's because my 4S can't handle the resources needed to keep everything running.

Ambitious

I hate how the content of the address/search bar is always selected when you tap the bar. I usually use autocompletion to save some time (e.g. assas -> tap on assassins's creed 4 -> append something specific), but with iOS 7 I can't append something right away but have to fiddle with the cursor before I can do so.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Did we ever get an acceptable fix for the horrific zoom on wallpapers (ipad mini)? I don't care about the reason. I know what they were thinking and they were wrong.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Not that I've seen yet. Zoom makes sense on parallax, but not when it's turned off. And even on parallax, it seems to zoom in way too closely.

I really hope they sort that out.

On another note, I kind of wish they'd put motion accelerators in the MacBooks again (They only put them in the HDD based Pro now since it's the only one with a HDD) so they could add a 3D effect to OS X. I mean how cool would that be?

Top Bottom