• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

That would be a crazy long development period, but given the instability of 7, I could see them taking their time on it.

On the other hand, I feel like they're just going to be up-ending the tea table all over again with the iPhone 6's larger screen next year when it comes to UI, etc.

You guys hear on Tested the theory that the iPhone 6 is going to have a ~260ppi panel since it will be a cropped iPad panel, in the same way Apple has used the same panels previously between iPads and iPhones?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Websites that force you or bug you to download their app don't deserve anyones business if you ask me. If I wanted your website as an icon on my home screen, I'd USE THE FUCKING FEATURE THAT SAFARI HAS HAD BUILT IN SINCE iOS 1.0!

I'd wager there are more people who don't know about this feature than there are those who do. I've met TWO iPhone owners who didn't know they could turn the phone completely off.

Ambitious

Websites that force you or bug you to download their app don't deserve anyones business if you ask me. If I wanted your website as an icon on my home screen, I'd USE THE FUCKING FEATURE THAT SAFARI HAS HAD BUILT IN SINCE iOS 1.0!

Relevant xkcd:

app.png

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

One of my favorite film blogs -- film school rejects -- is the worst about this. Worser, they insist on making their center-justified mobile site impossible to leave. Pisses me off so bad.

raindoc

I deleted a couple of my e-books using the new iBooks for Mac OS X, but iTunes still tries to sync them to my iPad, which obviously fails because the files are gone.
How do I delete those entries from iTunes?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Word is that 7.1 is a massive improvement for ipads. I just want some cosmetic changes too for folders.

I'll settle for a single row on both the iPhone and iPad versions. Doesn't need to be more. Just 4 rows and 3 columns. Then they can keep the icons where they are in the thumbnail and they'll still match. It'll just show the first 9. But 3 more would be nice.

I'd rather have as many icons in a folder screen as can fit on the home screen, but I'm not holding my breath. 4x4 on iPhone. 4x5 on iPad. Would still allow enough room to exit out of the folder and for the title. But would be a lot less wasteful of space, especially on the iPad.

mrkgoo

Seems like an ongoing battle of working and notnworking with eahmchbupdate, but is anyone else having issues with play counts and last played time stamps on music not syncing to iTunes after listening to a song on an iPhone (or other device) on iOS7?

Surfheart

I hope the performance increases in 7.1 are as great as people are reporting.

My first gen ipad boots faster than my air and 3 do on 7.04. It boots twice as fast as my 3 and a good 5 seconds faster than my air. Location, photo stream and identical iCloud sync settings are enabled on all devices.

Flatness doesn't come cheap.

Deku Tree

My first gen ipad boots faster than my air and 3 do on 7.04. It boots twice as fast as my 3 and a good 5 seconds faster than my air. Location, photo stream and identical iCloud sync settings are enabled on all devices.

Finding it very hard to take this comment seriously. A friend brought his 1st Gen iPad in my office two weeks ago. It was running the latest iOS that was enabled on it. The 1st Gen iPad was slow as dirt compared to my Air running 7.0.4.

EDIT: And my iPhone 5S with the new chip is also tons zippier than my old iPhone 4S (both running iOS 7). Safari and mail boot very noticeably faster.

Surfheart

Finding it very hard to take this comment seriously. A friend brought his 1st Gen iPad in my office two weeks ago. It was running the latest iOS that was enabled on it. The 1st Gen iPad was slow as dirt compared to my Air running 7.0.4.

EDIT: And my iPhone 5S with the new chip is also tons zippier than my old iPhone 4S (both running iOS 7). Safari and mail boot very noticeably faster.

Of course the air is faster, iOS 7 is just not as fast as it should be vs the previous OS on the same hardware ( iPhone 5, iPad 3.) What has iOS 7 brought as far as features go that should incur such a huge performance regression across the board?

Deku Tree

Of course it's faster. Just not as fast as it should be vs the previous os on the same hardware. What has iOS 7 brought as far as features go that should incur such a huge performance regression across the board?

iOS7 was a total re-write of the entire philosophy of iOS. They eschewed skumorphism. It was Jony Ive's coup d'etat.

It is always smart to wait until the iOS X.1 upgrade if you are going to be majorly bothered by the little problems caused by the new iOS version.

Do you guys think that the iPhone 6 will be when the iPhone goes Quad Core? Or do they focus on increasing frequency or BIG.little?

I'm personally hoping for a big jump in RAM, more than anything. We're getting to quantities similar to desktops, and I would love to see the OS start to (continue to, if I'm being nice) open up to multi-tasking a lot more like a desktop OS.

Surfheart

iOS7 was a total re-write of the entire philosophy of iOS. They eschewed skumorphism. It was Jony Ive's coup d'etat.

It is always smart to wait until the iOS X.1 upgrade if you are going to be majorly bothered by the little problems caused by the new iOS version.

I'm glad the skumorphism had gone, but why would replacing a texture with a blank white background cause the UI to fall below 60hz when the keyboard is up and I rotate my iPad? I've little hitches and stutters all over the UI on my Air and it both surprised and disappointed me. 7 is also significantly slower on my iPad 3 vs iOS 6 on that device.

Blackhead

Redarse

It's really not a total re-write. It's a new coat of paint on the same old ui building blocks. The performance problems are largely due to the flashy animations Ive introduced

Surfheart

Do you guys think that the iPhone 6 will be when the iPhone goes Quad Core? Or do they focus on increasing frequency or BIG.little?

I'm personally hoping for a big jump in RAM, more than anything. We're getting to quantities similar to desktops, and I would love to see the OS start to (continue to, if I'm being nice) open up to multi-tasking a lot more like a desktop OS.

I'd love more ram too. I don't think they'll go quad core, but for sure they would bump the memory? This is Apple though so who knows.

Surfheart

And those can be turned off if you don't care for the animations and you want to speed things up. There have been loads of articles explaining how to do it.

It's not so much the animations but the frame rate of the UI in certain circumstances. Rotating an app with the keyboard up, little hitches when scrolling or navigating the multitasking UI etc.

My air seems to perform worse than my iPhone 5

Ambitious

Jesus christ, iTunes Match and/or the Music app are still a broken mess.

I had already downloaded my favorite albums/artists earlier and just wanted to download a few more. I noticed that next to many tracks, the empty progress indicator was displayed. Meaning, when I downloaded music earlier, at some point it simply stopped. I've checked the list, nothing was downloading right now.

I tapped on a track. Of course it didn't play. I tried to delete it. Of course it didn't work. I tapped another track, at which point the music from a completely different artist started playing. I tried a few more, and sure thing, everything is messed up. So I disabled iTunes Match, killed the app and tried to delete albums, but everytime I attempt to do so, the app crashes.

Oh, and for some reason, hundreds of tracks which were already on the phone are downloading constantly. Kinda. The circular progress indicators of all tracks are all identical, and their value jumps all over the place. When the download finishes, it simply starts again.

25% chance of a song actually playing. 25% it doesn't play at all, 25% something different is played, 25% the app crashes.

Apparently its not even possible to delete artists or albums, only single tracks? I have to delete the whole music collection from the settings app? And then redownload over 20GB of music, again with the risk that their shitty implementation screws up everything? Jesus fucking christ.

Well, I just did it. The music is still there, though. Killed the app. Deleted again via the settings app. Music: No data. Went back and into the Usage menu again. Music: 22 GB. Deleted again and waited a few minutes. Now part of the music is gone. It's alright iPhone, take your time. Apparently, starting the Music app interrupts the delete process. 130MB left. 143MB left. Wait, what? Why the hell is it still downloading?
Now I've restarted the phone. 14MB left. Still over 200 titles in the library, though. Some with the download-icon. Some with the downloading-icon.

Giving up at this point. I don't have time for this shit. Remember, though: It just works.

edit: When I restart the phone, the Apple logo appears as usual. But after a few seconds, the screen gets dark. It's not completely black; I can still see the logo. After about 4 seconds, the brightness returns to normal. That's concerning.

edit 2: It's hilarious. I've deleted every single song. But everytime I start the Music app, between one and five appear in the library.

Vyer

I had already downloaded my favorite albums/artists earlier and just wanted to download a few more. I noticed that next to many tracks, the empty progress indicator was displayed. Meaning, when I downloaded music earlier, at some point it simply stopped. I've checked the list, nothing was downloading right now.

I tapped on a track. Of course it didn't play. I tried to delete it. Of course it didn't work. I tapped another track, at which point the music from a completely different artist started playing. I tried a few more, and sure thing, everything is messed up. So I disabled iTunes Match, killed the app and tried to delete albums, but everytime I attempt to do so, the app crashes.

Oh, and for some reason, hundreds of tracks which were already on the phone are downloading constantly. Kinda. The circular progress indicators of all tracks are all identical, and their value jumps all over the place. When the download finishes, it simply starts again.

25% chance of a song actually playing. 25% it doesn't play at all, 25% something different is played, 25% the app crashes.

Apparently its not even possible to delete artists or albums, only single tracks? I have to delete the whole music collection from the settings app? And then redownload over 20GB of music, again with the risk that their shitty implementation screws up everything? Jesus fucking christ.

Well, I just did it. The music is still there, though. Killed the app. Deleted again via the settings app. Music: No data. Went back and into the Usage menu again. Music: 22 GB. Deleted again and waited a few minutes. Now part of the music is gone. It's alright iPhone, take your time. Apparently, starting the Music app interrupts the delete process. 130MB left. 143MB left. Wait, what? Why the hell is it still downloading?
Now I've restarted the phone. 14MB left. Still over 200 titles in the library, though. Some with the download-icon. Some with the downloading-icon.

Giving up at this point. I don't have time for this shit. Remember, though: It just works.

edit: When I restart the phone, the Apple logo appears as usual. But after a few seconds, the screen gets dark. It's not completely black; I can still see the logo. After about 4 seconds, the brightness returns to normal. That's concerning.

edit 2: It's hilarious. I've deleted every single song. But everytime I start the Music app, between one and five appear in the library.

The erasing/downloading thing is strange, along with the problems playing music you are having. On my iPad Air and iPhone and my wife's Mini this hasn't been a problem. In fact even downloading/streaming over LTE has been pretty seamless for me. You might want to take it into an Apple Store and show them how it won't delete/play music. Could be something worth swapping over.

Beyond that, I'm not really clear what you are trying to do. If you're just looking to hold 20 GB of music (and try to manage it all) on your phone, I'm not sure Match is really necessary. I use iTunes on my desktop to manage my library/iTunes Match and create a playlist (or lists) that becomes my primary 'station' that I do download to each device I might need it. But if I decide another album or song I want should be downloaded on my iPad or iPhone, it's still available. I also don't buy just from iTunes (primarily Amazon) and want one central place to delete/edit/add that then gets pushed to several devices.

If you are just looking to dump 20 gbs in one place like an iPod you probably don't need Match, especially if you aren't looking to stream/download or use iTunes to manage. You'd have to 'sync', but at that point it's just a 'transfer all' from your computer so at least there's a little less to bother with.

edit: also, be aware that deleting 22GBs will take more than a few minutes.

It's awful. I finally figured out the thought behind it is that you had bought the song before, so therefore, you would like it to show up in your library when playing music as a part of iTunes Radio. Basically, you get to stream it/download it for free.

Vyer

It's awful. I finally figured out the thought behind it is that you had bought the song before, so therefore, you would like it to show up in your library when playing music as a part of iTunes Radio. Basically, you get to stream it/download it for free.

? What do you mean?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dude. I just got this lightning cable like 2 months ago.
The first one I had got splayed at the neck where the cable attaches to after about 10 months, then I get a fresh replacement and now the actual contacts have just rubbed off? Dude. Fuck that.
8O5hV3r.jpg

Crub

How do I force landscape view when watching a Youtube clip? Don't really understand why portrait is even an option.

Anyone know if there are any relatively good voice enabled translation apps available? Going to be travelling around Europe this summer and might need some assistance from time to time.

I know there's that Lingual thing for Siri, but my missus (her phone) wont jailbreak so that's out.

neoism

a guys is 7.0.4 worth downloading and more important is it safe to dl. Does it have a good success rate lol.. I got my touch 5th gen in like Oct but decided to update through itunes which is the first time I ever did that. It bricked the ipod and I only had it for 9 days, got it replace that day, and been using 7.0.2 and other than the fucking stupid wallpaper/background glitches its not that bad... just wondering if its worth it or not... will do it over wifi this time itunes am fail

HUELEN10

How do I force landscape view when watching a Youtube clip? Don't really understand why portrait is even an option.
Don't know about the official app (which I used just once because it sucks IMO), but YouPlayer has a forced landscape playback button so you don't have to deal with portrait ever again.

Crub

Do you have rotation lock on? If not, clicking the full screen button automatically goes to landscape.

When laying in your bed on the side, I mean.

Don't know about the official app (which I used just once because it sucks IMO), but YouPlayer has a forced landscape playback button so you don't have to deal with portrait ever again.

Cool, will check out.

Number45

Are the free iOS versions of Pages/Numbers etc. tied to the new hardware? My daughters (neither old enough for an Apple ID, which is why they're on mine) bought a new Mini each this weekend but when I look at the apps on my phone none of them are free.

Will I need to download them on those devices first, or are they locked to those devices only? Not a problem if they are as I don't see myself using them, just curious.

Deku Tree

Are the free iOS versions of Pages/Numbers etc. tied to the new hardware? My daughters (neither old enough for an Apple ID, which is why they're on mine) bought a new Mini each this weekend but when I look at the apps on my phone none of them are free.

Will I need to download them on those devices first, or are they locked to those devices only? Not a problem if they are as I don't see myself using them, just curious.

They are locked to the account which is used on the new hardware. Once you set up the new hardware with an iTunes account, the iOS versions become free in the App Store for that account on any iOS device using that account.

If they have different accounts from you, then you don't get them for free.

Number45

They're both on my account, fully registered. I even have the mail welcoming me to my new iPad Mini, which is what prompted me to check if they're free.

Deku Tree

They're both on my account, fully registered. I even have the mail welcoming me to my new iPad Mini, which is what prompted me to check if they're free.

Are they free on the Mini's? If so buy them on the Mini's then you should own them on your other devices. If they are not free on the Mini's call Apple...

There is no reason why they would show up as "free" on your old devices if you haven't bought them yet on the device in which they should be free.

mrkgoo

Top Bottom