• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Deku Tree

Seems fine.

I could read it. Maybe the gifs weren't running because my internet connection is a bit slow to load them.

The loading bar finished though. Just internet was spiralling at the top. I was only on for a short while. The place holders for the gifs loaded but they weren't running. It didn't crash me out or anything.

iPhone 5.

I think it's mainly a problem with the 64 bit A7 devices.

Talon

Looks like
lv03-insert-key_00085.png

Ambitious

Notification Center is still way too limited. Why can't I swipe notifications away?
Some kind of interaction would be useful as well, like directly replying to messages or something like "Show notification again in x minutes".

AngryMoth

I doubt I'll ever bother jailbreaking my ipad air but one thing I really miss is that thing where you can control the text cursor by swiping anywhere on the keyboard. It's such an elegant solution to a very annoying problem, I can't believe apple has never implemented it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Don't like the new call interface

BUT, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS @ them giving me the option to remove parallax. Such an ugly, tacky effect should never have made it into the UI tho.

zigg

Not without also turning off other animations.
Not all other animations, just the wooshy ones that make people sick.

I never minded them, but having played with the setting I prefer it off. Makes me feel more efficient, even if I haven't actually timed transitions to make sure.

Does this run well on iPhone 5 yet or are there still bugs that make staying on 6 worth it? I'm kinda on the fence about 7 anyway simply because they changed how double tapping the home button works for multitasking. Who's dumb idea was that? So much faster the old way.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does this run well on iPhone 5 yet or are there still bugs that make staying on 6 worth it? I'm kinda on the fence about 7 anyway simply because they changed how double tapping the home button works for multitasking. Who's dumb idea was that? So much faster the old way.
It's only faster because of the new animation slowing it down.

The new multitasking method is so much better than the old one. Hands down.

mrkgoo

Faster is faster. No matter how good it looks. So it's still slow then :( are they planning on fixing it?

It's functionally better. The last app you used is in the centre and the app you're currently using is now viewable off to the side. The last screen shots help you navigate much better and give increased context to where you are and were.

In addition the screen shots aren't static - they're live - you can see them still working in many cases. Like messages come through on messages if it's the last used app etc.

Dany

Banned
I like the new multitasking, you can drag the icons to move across faster. It's easer to 'close' items in the new multitasking

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I like the new multitasking, you can drag the icons to move across faster. It's easer to 'close' items in the new multitasking
On iOS 6 my dad didn't even know you could close apps. It was very unintuitive. He didn't even know about press and hold to move icons so of course he wouldn't know about press and hold to perform a totally different task such as making a button appear to close an app.

iOS 7 seems like it might be easier to figure out for someone. Especially with Safari having the same swipe gesture to close tabs.

And switching between apps in iOS 7 is much nicer and easier to tell which app looks like what.

iOS 7 multitasking > iOS 6 multitasking by a long shot.

mrkgoo

On iOS 6 my dad didn't even know you could close apps. It was very unintuitive. He didn't even know about press and hold to move icons so of course he wouldn't know about press and hold to perform a totally different task such as making a button appear to close an app.

iOS 7 seems like it might be easier to figure out for someone. Especially with Safari having the same swipe gesture to close tabs.

And switching between apps in iOS 7 is much nicer and easier to tell which app looks like what.

iOS 7 multitasking > iOS 6 multitasking by a long shot.

Yup. More functional and the key thing - more context.

Will iOS ever enable easy multi user functionality?
My s.o. and I want to get an iPad, obviously to share.
Now I'm thinking about how we will use it. Should we use her or my iCloud account? should we create a new one for both of us?
How do you guys handle this?

It's bad enough (read unfathomably stupid and annoying) that on our shared MBPr only one of us can use iCloud match.

Surely it cannot be rare that two people or even a whole family would like to share an iPad or a Mac without having to loose significant functionality.

argggrrrrrrrrr

Deku Tree

My wife and I just share our iTunes account and our iCloud account. We abandoned her old account a few years ago and now just use mine. We can still listen to all her old iTunes music so it's really no loss. IMO this is a better solution for us than having an account system. Who wants to buy apps twice etc?

Ambitious

Since I updated my iPad, I don't receive email notifications anymore. The sound, however, is played. And weirdly, the Mail app does not show up in the notification section of the Settings app.

mrkgoo

My wife and I just share our iTunes account and our iCloud account. We abandoned her old account a few years ago and now just use mine. We can still listen to all her old iTunes music so it's really no loss. IMO this is a better solution for us than having an account system. Who wants to buy apps twice etc?

My wife and I have out own iCloud accounts, because we need to have separate messaging channels, but she runs my apps. With home sharing on, she can just drag apps from my computer onto hers and they sync fine.

On iOS, you can have separate iCloud accounts for multiple devices, but then sign into a different account for the store so you can use another account's apps and music.

lucius

Should I bother updating this on an iPad 2?

I updated it on my iPhone 5 fine, but was wondering if it will just be worse on iPad 2?

Majine

Banned
I hope the next iOS focuses more on iPad. Apple has been mocking Android for their scaled-up phone apps, but that's what I feel on iPad now, with stuff like the folders (3x3? Really?), the music app, etc.

iOS7 was clearly an iPhone OS first.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hope the next iOS focuses more on iPad. Apple has been mocking Android for their scaled-up phone apps, but that's what I feel on iPad now, with stuff like the folders (3x3? Really?), the music app, etc.

iOS7 was clearly an iPhone OS first.
Hopefully at WWDC we'll see a revamped iOS 8 with better iPad support and a fresh look for OS X.

Ambitious

After a lot of restarts, enabling and disabling iTunes Match, manually synching several times, deleting music from within the Settings app and even a device restore, I thought i had finally resolved my iTunes Match issues.

When I opened the Music app today, every single title was duplicated. One in the device and one pending for downloading, respectively. For fuck's sake.

edit: And of course, all my custom cover art has been replaced by theirs again and a lot of albums actually have no cover art at all now.

mrkgoo

Guys, my iphone 5 is dead when battery life is still at 10-28%

Any idea on how to fix this?

Supposedly a drain and full charge re calibrates the battery.

That is, the battery is aging, but the software doesn't know that zero is closer to 10-20%.

So next time, let it drain until it actually shuts itself off (it still isn't really zero at that point - it always holds some reserve), and leave it like that for a few hours. Then plug it in and charge to full without interruption - and leave it at 100 % for a bit before unplugging. See if that works.

Do you rarely allow a complete drain, followed by a full charge?

mrkgoo

In Find My friends, there's a setting to show geofence alerts for everyone or for only friends.

What is the difference, though? My understanding is that geofence alerts can only be set for people who are registered with your find my friends anyway, and this aren't everyone friends?

FerranMG

My brother in law had to had his iPhone 5 replaced because of a faulty battery.
After a little bit more than a year, his iPhone was shutting down randomly when battery was lower than 40%.

If recalibration doesn't work, try to go to an Apple store and see if they can help you.

Blackhead

Redarse

My brother in law had to had his iPhone 5 replaced because of a faulty battery.
After a little bit more than a year, his iPhone was shutting down randomly when battery was lower than 40%.

If recalibration doesn't work, try to go to an Apple store and see if they can help you.

Appears to be a common problem: iPhone 5 with iOS 7 randomly shuts off | Apple Support Communities

Cetra

I reset all settings and content on my iPhone 5 two days ago. Since then I can't log into GAF from my iPhone. I enter my login and password, hit login and it tried to load but ends up just loading the login screen again.

I have Javascript enabled, I'm not in a private browsing mode. Any ideas whats causing this?

Top Bottom